Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Gold

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2016 Applicants

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:35 pm

lsatownsme wrote:I was really surprised to receive the package as I was expecting it around Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm located in Atlanta by the way.
Has anyone else with a decision made on 1/24 not received their letter/packet

arden311

New

Post by arden311 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm

My decision was made 1/30. I just received a waitlist letter.

I was surprised considering my numbers were well below medians. I have really strong and unique softs though. So now the long and arduous waitlist process begins.
TA923 wrote:
Numbers?
Rather not post my numbers on public forum. Best of luck to everyone!

StLNE

New

Post by StLNE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm

WL about a week and a half ago. 168/3.26 with 4 years of WE. No "Why ND?" essay.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I called today and they're gonna resend my letter. I noticed they said letter...and not packet :(.

edit: 2 minutes later I got an e-mail with a scanned version. I got dinged. Good luck everyone.

SouthernSoul

New

Post by SouthernSoul » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:02 pm

mg7 wrote:WLed. What I expected since I didn't write a Why ND essay.
So is it pretty common that if you don't write a Why ND essay, your chances are a little bit lower?

Also, might it help to try to send one later/in the form of a LOCI if you're waitlisted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:03 pm

SouthernSoul wrote:
So is it pretty common that if you don't write a Why ND essay, your chances are a little bit lower?

Also, might it help to try to send one later/in the form of a LOCI if you're waitlisted?
I wrote what I felt was a solid Why ND essay and got WLed. However, my numbers are way low so that's a bigger factor. I'd say if you can take the time, write optional essays. It's just good manners. The little bit of extra effort separates you at least from the few who don't take the time.

If you didn't send a Why ND essay, you should really address your interest in ND in your LOCI. The WL is about numbers, but they also want to give offers to the people that seem most committed to attending their school.

law chihuahua

New

Post by law chihuahua » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Anecdotal evidence, but I agree with what gatorgirl2012 said. I did not write a Why ND essay, but I think my personal statement strongly alluded to things that would have been mentioned in one had I done so, and I was accepted recently. Really excited about the school!
I don't know about ND but in the last cycle I sent in a Why X School-ish LOCI and got in off the waitlist w/ money at a similarly ranked school. I totally don't think it would hurt, especially if you have legit reasons.
Hope that helps, and good luck!

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:13 am

law chihuahua wrote:Anecdotal evidence, but I agree with what gatorgirl2012 said. I did not write a Why ND essay, but I think my personal statement strongly alluded to things that would have been mentioned in one had I done so, and I was accepted recently. Really excited about the school!
I don't know about ND but in the last cycle I sent in a Why X School-ish LOCI and got in off the waitlist w/ money at a similarly ranked school. I totally don't think it would hurt, especially if you have legit reasons.
Hope that helps, and good luck!
People that have received money off the WL give me hope lol do you mind me asking when you were taken off the list and if you did anything else in addition to submitting a LOCI. I've been WLed at my top two :(

PM me if anything!!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Hey everyone, I'm not a ND applicant, but I thought this might interest those of you interested in Chicago BigLaw

I'm basically going through the websites of 60 firms in Chicago (both based in and branch offices) that pay six-figure starting salaries and counting how many post-recession associates* there are in each of them from WUSTL, ND, UIUC, and Northwestern.

I'm at the halfway point right now (31 of 60 counted) and here's a screenshot of my results (originally posted in WUSTL thread)

Hope it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf1tb1chximpy ... alfway.JPG

*For the purposes of this analysis, any associate that got their J.D. in 2008 or after is considered a "post-Recession associate"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 pm

thanks for those numbers cusenation. very interesting.

Anyways. Got a "decision made" update today 2 days after my second complete. numbers are 3.38/166. I did write a why ND essay. The quick turnaround makes me think reject. what do y'all think?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Tons of people here don't want Chicago (especially when compared to UIUC). Still, the numbers are interesting. Not shocking that we have the most people at Jones Day, the managing partner is a Double Domer.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm

SouthernSoul wrote:

I did. I was waitlisted with a 166/3.25, so I called the admissions office and asked if there was anything I could do to shore up my application. They specifically mentioned the optional essay as one of the reasons for my being on the waitlist. They also mentioned a lack of volunteer work/community service. I tried to compensate for this within the optional essay.

Also, ND trolled the fuck out of me today with an e-mail that basically said that I'm still on the waitlist. I almost had a heart attack. It was titled "Waitlist update" but had no new information.

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
SouthernSoul wrote:

I did. I was waitlisted with a 166/3.25, so I called the admissions office and asked if there was anything I could do to shore up my application. They specifically mentioned the optional essay as one of the reasons for my being on the waitlist. They also mentioned a lack of volunteer work/community service. I tried to compensate for this within the optional essay.

Also, ND trolled the fuck out of me today with an e-mail that basically said that I'm still on the waitlist. I almost had a heart attack. It was titled "Waitlist update" but had no new information.
Whoa they actually gave you like real advice on your application? I'm pretty sure mine is numbers but this kinda makes me wanna call in and speak with them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

They also mentioned a lack of volunteer work/community service.
All of the Catholic colleges are BIG on service. ND even states it clearly on the first page of its viewbook:

"...students and faculty...dedicate their professional and personal lives to serve the good of all the human family."

And the best way to demonstrate your commitment to future service is through prior service on your resume.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:15 pm

In today with 15k per year. 3.38/166 and a why ND essay.

ALgooner

Bronze

Post by ALgooner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Just realized that my status checker updated to Decision Made on 2/6. Didn't write a Why ND so I'm nervous about getting waitlisted.

edit: Accepted with a 75k scholarship!

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:38 pm

What are your numbers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cheymao

New

Post by cheymao » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 am

In today via snail mail, decision rendered on 2/6. Did the Why ND essay..

ALgooner

Bronze

Post by ALgooner » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:30 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:What are your numbers?
167/3.8 (in my profile).

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Nice. Congrats.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Tons of people here don't want Chicago (especially when compared to UIUC). Still, the numbers are interesting. Not shocking that we have the most people at Jones Day, the managing partner is a Double Domer.
Chicago seems like the most logical destination; are there other places that make more sense for an ND grad to look to?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 am

Got in via snail mail w/ 20K/year scholly. Pretty excited!

bobloblawstudent

New

Post by bobloblawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm

-
Last edited by bobloblawstudent on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wh3931110

New

Post by wh3931110 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Tons of people here don't want Chicago (especially when compared to UIUC). Still, the numbers are interesting. Not shocking that we have the most people at Jones Day, the managing partner is a Double Domer.
Chicago seems like the most logical destination; are there other places that make more sense for an ND grad to look to?

New York and California are two pretty popular destinations, tons of people from CA. But honestly, people come from everywhere and end up going everywhere... Legal market is what it is but the ND name travels well. FWIW I'm a current 3L, transferred in and have a job, oh and I love notre dame!

mittz

New

Post by mittz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Got the "decision made" update today. Oh the cruelty of the wait to receive the letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”