USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maxiguess

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm

romanticegotist wrote:My dad used to joke that the Yale PD was bigger then the New Haven PD because their job was to keep people from New Haven out of Yale.

ANYWAY, any USC students in here? What's it like? Minnesotan living in Texas now so I know nothing about LA save for an increased chance of Emma Stone seeing me in a cafe and falling in love.

Like Yale, it's in a nasty neighborhood. The undergraduate population is truly horrible and every bar within an 8 mile radius is ruined by their presence.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

maxiguess wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:My dad used to joke that the Yale PD was bigger then the New Haven PD because their job was to keep people from New Haven out of Yale.

ANYWAY, any USC students in here? What's it like? Minnesotan living in Texas now so I know nothing about LA save for an increased chance of Emma Stone seeing me in a cafe and falling in love.

Like Yale, it's in a nasty neighborhood. The undergraduate population is truly horrible and every bar within an 8 mile radius is ruined by their presence.

On the other hand, it's LA. 'nuff said.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

maxiguess wrote:

Agree it's a nasty neighborhood, disagree UG population and bars are horrible. I've met a ton of nice students, depends on the individual and how outgoing you are. (TBF SC kids do tend to be on the cocky side but I don't mind it)

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm

teiswei wrote:
maxiguess wrote:

Yes. That too. Also, aside from the beach and the Hammer Museum it's closer to interesting parts of the city and things to do than many other LA schools.

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm

maxiguess wrote:
teiswei wrote:
maxiguess wrote:

Yes. That too. Also, aside from the beach and the Hammer Museum it's closer to interesting parts of the city and things to do than many other LA schools.

I could also see the entire downtown area being revamped and rebuilt with the new NFL stadium being built. Now, this is dependent upon a team actually ending up at the said stadium. That being said, an optimist would say that by 3L, USC will be the place to be. However, a pessimist would claim the new attention to the downtown area will make it incredibly expensive.

P.S. I am an optimist and USC is perhaps my #1 choice.

zman

Postby zman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Lived in LA not too far from USC( did not go) and worked nearby and the campus itself is fine and there is a lot of construction going(maybe a new law school should be built, the current one is old) on but it is in a crappy part of the city. undergraduate popluation is about 30-40% wealthy trust fund kids. the rest is a combination of middle, lower income(USC has more lower income students than other private schools of comparable quality). higher income people subsidize the lower income people(opposite of law schools). Not as good as the two top UC schools in most areas but tend to have a more loyal alumni for some reason..

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Downtown LA is already really expensive. People have been saying it's "coming back" since before my dad was born, but then it actually did come back over like 3 months in 2010. Tons of really good new restaurants and shops opening up. Even Grand Central Market is supposed to be getting an overhaul. It's close to my house (Los Feliz), but UCLA is my top choice and USC #2. Either might be a stretch with my numbers though.

ams929

Postby ams929 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:56 pm

best 4 years of my life! (at least for undergrad...) happy to answer any questions if you want to pm me.

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

zman

Postby zman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

at this rate the 2012 class employment numbers(early february I think) will be out before they started accepting in large chunks..

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm

slack_academic wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Downtown LA is already really expensive. People have been saying it's "coming back" since before my dad was born, but then it actually did come back over like 3 months in 2010. Tons of really good new restaurants and shops opening up. Even Grand Central Market is supposed to be getting an overhaul. It's close to my house (Los Feliz), but UCLA is my top choice and USC #2. Either might be a stretch with my numbers though.

It's still a developing area, though. There are some nice restaurants but people don't hang out downtown like they do other places. It doesn't stay lively well into the night. In that sense, it's still making a comeback.

Downtown has made significant strides since I began undergrad in 2006. It's definitely become more of a night-life hotspot and more and more it's making waves to compete with areas like hollywood/silverlake/weho etc.

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:54 pm

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Locals: any opinions on Culver City?

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Culver City: Decent restaurants, some good housing, kind of dull. La Cienega/Washington is the center of the contemporary art world here however.

Hollywood: Mostly agree, but there are some areas that are seeming nicer. I think the area between Vine and the 101 will continue to improve over the next couple of years. Emerson is building a pretty substantial architecture school designed by Thom Mayne and there are some enormous mixed-use developments going up.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 pm

maxiguess wrote:Culver City: Decent restaurants, some good housing, kind of dull. La Cienega/Washington is the center of the contemporary art world here however.

Hollywood: Mostly agree, but there are some areas that are seeming nicer. I think the area between Vine and the 101 will continue to improve over the next couple of years. Emerson is building a pretty substantial architecture school designed by Thom Mayne and there are some enormous mixed-use developments going up.

Spent a week in Santa Monica with the fiance earlier this year and went to a few restaurants in the Culver City area and thought it would be a good transition if we ended up in LA (we're yuppies :D ). USC's viewbook does say there is a light rail from the campus to Culver City (and eventually to Santa Monica) so I thought that would be ideal considering we are coming from Chicago and only have one vehicle and would like to keep it that way for costs.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm

teiswei wrote:Locals: any opinions on Culver City?

Resident of 3 years. I love it. Affordable. Young. Great food. Decent bar scene. Highly recommend.

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:16 pm

teiswei wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Culver City: Decent restaurants, some good housing, kind of dull. La Cienega/Washington is the center of the contemporary art world here however.

Spent a week in Santa Monica with the fiance earlier this year and went to a few restaurants in the Culver City area and thought it would be a good transition if we ended up in LA (we're yuppies :D ). USC's viewbook does say there is a light rail from the campus to Culver City (and eventually to Santa Monica) so I thought that would be ideal considering we are coming from Chicago and only have one vehicle and would like to keep it that way for costs.

Yes, you would be some of the few people in the city for whom that line is useful. As Chicago yuppies though, I would recommend my neighborhood (Los Feliz/Silver Lake), or Highland Park/Eagle Rock. Still very easy to get to USC (by rail even from Los Feliz), and all of my other Chicago yuppie friends (there are a lot of you guys out here) love them. These are the areas that look like Old LA.

KingsCup

Postby KingsCup » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Very underrated part about living in LA: with so many movies filmed in the area, its very easy and cool to see places you've been/know on TV. For example, for "End of Watch" at the end of the film it zooms out of "the ghetto" where the cops work, but really its just zooming out of USC, which is kind of funny. And that doesn't include the things actually filmed on campus

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 pm

bgoodrick wrote:Very underrated part about living in LA: with so many movies filmed in the area, its very easy and cool to see places you've been/know on TV. For example, for "End of Watch" at the end of the film it zooms out of "the ghetto" where the cops work, but really its just zooming out of USC, which is kind of funny. And that doesn't include the things actually filmed on campus

I love encountering the many sets in Dexter found around LA. Some make sense (bowling alley in Sherman Oaks being especially cringe-worthy).

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 pm

How many people have received Rothman invites? It says the deadline is January 25, so less than 2 weeks away. Are they going to send out a bunch of invites in the next week or...? Seems like there's so many less invites this time around compared to last year's thread.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:How many people have received Rothman invites? It says the deadline is January 25, so less than 2 weeks away. Are they going to send out a bunch of invites in the next week or...? Seems like there's so many less invites this time around compared to last year's thread.

Are you asking for a roll call? If so I got one. But I think if you read back you'll see how many people said were offered. We have no way of knowing how many total went out.

Are you thinking of passing up Harvard and a Darrow for the Rothman? The 1L summer job would be great but it's unclear if it actually helps Rothman students get jobs there down the line.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:How many people have received Rothman invites? It says the deadline is January 25, so less than 2 weeks away. Are they going to send out a bunch of invites in the next week or...? Seems like there's so many less invites this time around compared to last year's thread.

Are you asking for a roll call? If so I got one. But I think if you read back you'll see how many people said were offered. We have no way of knowing how many total went out.

Are you thinking of passing up Harvard and a Darrow for the Rothman? The 1L summer job would be great but it's unclear if it actually helps Rothman students get jobs there down the line.

I'm not sure what you have against me to be so antagonistic to every post I make- I was simply asking how many there were since it's getting close to the deadline, and looking back at last year's thread vs. this year's it seems like USC is either going slower or we're missing people on TLS. I am neither in at Harvard (still JS0) nor have any news from M re: $ so don't know why that's relevant- you don't know anything about my career goals, life, etc.

TL;DR: chill bro.

ETA looks like ~10ish from this year's thread, but looks like 20+ from last year's. Unsure if this is from decrease in overall applicants or if they're sending out less invites or if there's less people on TLS with the invites.

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:52 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I'm not sure what you have against me to be so antagonistic to every post I make- I was simply asking how many there were since it's getting close to the deadline, and looking back at last year's thread vs. this year's it seems like USC is either going slower or we're missing people on TLS. I am neither in at Harvard (still JS0) nor have any news from M re: $ so don't know why that's relevant- you don't know anything about my career goals, life, etc.

TL;DR: chill bro.

ETA looks like ~10ish from this year's thread, but looks like 20+ from last year's. Unsure if this is from decrease in overall applicants or if they're sending out less invites or if there's less people on TLS with the invites.

I got one, but didn't report it on this thread. So maybe last year people were just more open about the invite? In any case, if you didn't get one, I think you can still apply for it. I'd call USC even if you aren't in yet to ask. I have yet to be admitted, but I already sent in my Rothman app. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”