USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
epgenius

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby epgenius » Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

zman wrote:I wonder how many of the 167 3.73++ they got this cycle. Those are their ideal numbers.

By LSN numbers it didn't look like much... I really hope us 3.6x/166s don't get hung out to dry simply because we're not splitters at all.

zman

Postby zman » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm

epgenius wrote:
zman wrote:I wonder how many of the 167 3.73++ they got this cycle. Those are their ideal numbers.

By LSN numbers it didn't look like much... I really hope us 3.6x/166s don't get hung out to dry simply because we're not splitters at all.

it's hard to tell by LSN though because it's a small sample and some have not declared.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Does anyone know if they give preference, or any credence, to LA residents? It seems like someone who lives in LA would be more inclined to attend should they be accepted off the wait list...

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 pm

epgenius wrote:Does anyone know if they give preference, or any credence, to LA residents? It seems like someone who lives in LA would be more inclined to attend should they be accepted off the wait list...

I would think the opposite. Geographic diversity is a factor. The more states/countries the better

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm

epgenius wrote:Does anyone know if they give preference, or any credence, to LA residents? It seems like someone who lives in LA would be more inclined to attend should they be accepted off the wait list...

I suspect that's one reason they increased by scholarship so quickly.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 1:10 pm

JesusChrist wrote:

You're in LA?

After doing some inspecting, I found that, out of 405 USC apps on LSN, there were 170 acceptances registered (there are still a lot of pending applications) but only 9 confirmed attendees and about 21 "maybes". I determined an applicant's "maybe" status based upon where else they got in, what schools they should select over USC (high t10) and their geographic locations. Accepted people are probably more likely to report it than rejected people, and I don't know how other, more numbers-knowledge, people can take this info but maybe it's telling about USC's matriculation numbers? By these stats they'd only be matriculating 5-12 percent of their accepted students which means they'd need to accept 1700-4000 students to fill their class.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:21 pm

epgenius wrote:After doing some inspecting, I found that, out of 405 USC apps on LSN, there were 170 acceptances registered (there are still a lot of pending applications) but only 9 confirmed attendees and about 21 "maybes". I determined an applicant's "maybe" status based upon where else they got in, what schools they should select over USC (high t10) and their geographic locations. Accepted people are probably more likely to report it than rejected people, and I don't know how other, more numbers-knowledge, people can take this info but maybe it's telling about USC's matriculation numbers? By these stats they'd only be matriculating 5-12 percent of their accepted students which means they'd need to accept 1700-4000 students to fill their class.

Oh wow... did you go through each profile? :shock:

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
epgenius wrote:After doing some inspecting, I found that, out of 405 USC apps on LSN, there were 170 acceptances registered (there are still a lot of pending applications) but only 9 confirmed attendees and about 21 "maybes". I determined an applicant's "maybe" status based upon where else they got in, what schools they should select over USC (high t10) and their geographic locations. Accepted people are probably more likely to report it than rejected people, and I don't know how other, more numbers-knowledge, people can take this info but maybe it's telling about USC's matriculation numbers? By these stats they'd only be matriculating 5-12 percent of their accepted students which means they'd need to accept 1700-4000 students to fill their class.

I went down the list and counted acceptances, including attendings and withdrawals, and then for each acceptance that was unmarked, I looked at their profile and determined where they would, or should, go given the schools to which they'd been accepted and where they were in the country... not perfect, but I think it should give a good idea...

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:36 pm

epgenius wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I went down the list and counted acceptances, including attendings and withdrawals, and then for each acceptance that was unmarked, I looked at their profile and determined where they would, or should, go given the schools to which they'd been accepted and where they were in the country... not perfect, but I think it should give a good idea...

Though I liked you already, I have a newfound respect for you :wink:

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 1:46 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Though I liked you already, I have a newfound respect for you :wink:

Awwww... I do what I can to fill the time while the silent fear and desperation I am feeling rises steadily as I really want to go to SC or UCLA but my $1000 GW 2nd seat deposit is a little more than a week away.
Last edited by epgenius on Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

epgenius wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:

You're in LA?

After doing some inspecting, I found that, out of 405 USC apps on LSN, there were 170 acceptances registered (there are still a lot of pending applications) but only 9 confirmed attendees and about 21 "maybes". I determined an applicant's "maybe" status based upon where else they got in, what schools they should select over USC (high t10) and their geographic locations. Accepted people are probably more likely to report it than rejected people, and I don't know how other, more numbers-knowledge, people can take this info but maybe it's telling about USC's matriculation numbers? By these stats they'd only be matriculating 5-12 percent of their accepted students which means they'd need to accept 1700-4000 students to fill their class.

I'm originally from LA but am living elsewhere. When I wrote my request for more aid, I mentioned how attending USC would be like my homecoming.

According to the ATL page for USC, it looks like 1.5 students enroll at USC for every 10 they admit.

http://abovethelaw.com/schools/universi ... nia-gould/

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Thu May 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Epgenius, I happened to just see those hypothetical calculations right now and I agree with RetakeFrenzy. Awesome work! :D
Good luck, everyone that's still waiting in the thread.
Waiting for school decisions was one of the most stressful experiences I have yet encountered, but I hope it all works out for each of you and that everyone ends up where they truly want to go.
Good vibes! :D

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm

law chihuahua wrote:I hope it all works out for each of you and that everyone ends up where they truly want to go.

hope partially restored :D

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
law chihuahua wrote:I hope it all works out for each of you and that everyone ends up where they truly want to go.

Anybody else feel like marching on Gould to demand expediency? There are, literally, tens of us.

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 pm

my friend got in off the waitlist the other day too, 166 3.7+ USC undergrad

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu May 23, 2013 10:50 pm

zorro.99 wrote:my friend got in off the waitlist the other day too, 166 3.7+ USC undergrad

What is up with all these usc undergrad ppl? It's crazy

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
zorro.99 wrote:my friend got in off the waitlist the other day too, 166 3.7+ USC undergrad

I asked the admissions lady if they give any preference to LA residents or USC undergrads and she said no... Lies.

zman

Postby zman » Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 am

epgenius wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:

I asked the admissions lady if they give any preference to LA residents or USC undergrads and she said no... Lies.

She is probably right though I mean they care about mainaining their LSAT. I mean if LA or so cal people get special treatment they wouldn't have anyone from any other schools because there are so many people from USC,UCLA and of course not to mention the other SoCAL schools nearby.

radar714

Postby radar714 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 pm

epgenius wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:

Guys don't worry, they don't give pref to USC grads that don't split a median. trust me, I'm one of them...

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm

epgenius wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

Anybody else feel like marching on Gould to demand expediency? There are, literally, tens of us.

I fear if I call the admissions office again asking for a decision they will seek a restraining order against me. They said everyone will get an initial decision by 5/31. They said their deposit deadline is July 1st for those admitted late May, so they claim there will be plenty of time to make an informed decision even if admitted on 5/31. :D

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Fri May 24, 2013 3:44 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
epgenius wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I fear if I call the admissions office again asking for a decision they will seek a restraining order against me. They said everyone will get an initial decision by 5/31. They said their deposit deadline is July 1st for those admitted late May, so they claim there will be plenty of time to make an informed decision even if admitted on 5/31. :D

My question is if they still haven't made an initial decision for everyone, why do they already start admitting people off the waitlist?

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Sent in a LOCI via email, got a response within 10 minutes. Must be hard at work on some new acceptances of the WL...

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 pm

mcs268 wrote:Sent in a LOCI via email, got a response within 10 minutes. Must be hard at work on some new acceptances of the WL...

What did they say in their response?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Tue May 28, 2013 9:26 pm

mcs268 wrote:Sent in a LOCI via email, got a response within 10 minutes. Must be hard at work on some new acceptances of the WL...

They really need to get the next round out (with me in it) by friday...

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm

They just said they would add it to my file. nothing special. the quick response time was just interesting to me. someone was clearly monitoring that email closely.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”