USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
epgenius

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 pm

leepokman wrote:So is this whole "our waitlist is not ranked" thing a lie and law schools just go down their waitlists based on LSAT score and then GPA?

No, no, no... it's not that it's "ranked", it's that if you have a 167, regardless of GPA, you get in with cash. It's more like a speakeasy. On the outside it's a legitimate, holistically-selected amalgam of people, talents and GPAs, but say the secret password to Mick the bartender ("167"), and you get into the real establishment.

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 pm

mpd1690 wrote:I made the difficult decision to withdraw today. 75,000 back in the pot. Good luck everyone!

You are the Hero!! I hope I get your spot!

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm

epgenius wrote:
leepokman wrote:So is this whole "our waitlist is not ranked" thing a lie and law schools just go down their waitlists based on LSAT score and then GPA?

No, no, no... it's not that it's "ranked", it's that if you have a 167, regardless of GPA, you get in with cash. It's more like a speakeasy. On the outside it's a legitimate, holistically-selected amalgam of people, talents and GPAs, but say the secret password to Mick the bartender ("167"), and you get into the real establishment.

I'd laugh if this wasn't entirely accurate
Last edited by Dream Weave on Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Has anyone heard anything the last week and a half? It seems like they're being excruciatingly quiet on the wire and the last round of admits should have (fingers-crossed) withdrawn or accepted by now. GW's 2nd deposit is a doozy so they gotta get the next group out before the 31st...

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

epgenius wrote:Has anyone heard anything the last week and a half? It seems like they're being excruciatingly quiet on the wire and the last round of admits should have (fingers-crossed) withdrawn or accepted by now. GW's 2nd deposit is a doozy so they gotta get the next group out before the 31st...

I'm in the same position. I will be waiting until the last possible hour before I drop that 1k!

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
epgenius wrote:Has anyone heard anything the last week and a half? It seems like they're being excruciatingly quiet on the wire and the last round of admits should have (fingers-crossed) withdrawn or accepted by now. GW's 2nd deposit is a doozy so they gotta get the next group out before the 31st...

I'm in the same position. I will be waiting until the last possible hour before I drop that 1k!

Seriously... Are you in LA?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 pm

The admissions staff didn't seem to have any idea when the next round would be going out or how long admits are given before they have to submit their first seat deposit... Frustratingly, they seem rather glib.

radar714

Postby radar714 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm

epgenius wrote:The admissions staff didn't seem to have any idea when the next round would be going out or how long admits are given before they have to submit their first seat deposit... Frustratingly, they seem rather glib.

they're always like that when you call for some reason, was the same last year too. What surprises me is how they always somehow manage to be the slowest admissions office...you'd think they would have sat down by now and said "hey guys, maybe sending out initial decisions in mid-late May might be pushing it"

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm

epgenius wrote:The admissions staff didn't seem to have any idea when the next round would be going out or how long admits are given before they have to submit their first seat deposit... Frustratingly, they seem rather glib.

I have an answer to one of those questions. They gave me 3 business days to deposit after accepting me off the WL. My deadline was the 15th and I was notified at the end of the day on the 10th.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Have you still not received an admissions decision? I want to make sure I'm not the only one. Still in CR2.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:32 pm

jdmonkey wrote:

Have you still not received an admissions decision? I want to make sure I'm not the only one. Still in CR2.

Hate to leave you hanging but I was wait listed about a month ago. Have you called/emailed them to see if they can expedite your decision? I contacted them a few times about it as deadlines approached last month and, though I never got confirmation it was due to my inquiry, I got my decision within a week after doing so. I was CR2 for about a week and then went final review for just an hour or two.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm

JesusChrist wrote:

I have an answer to one of those questions. They gave me 3 business days to deposit after accepting me off the WL. My deadline was the 15th and I was notified at the end of the day on the 10th.

And you accepted with the 75k, right? Did you already put in your deposit? At least you've been vocal on TLS, there are still like 8 people who were taken in the last round who haven't updated their profiles to say whether or not they've withdrawn.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm

epgenius wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:

Hate to leave you hanging but I was wait listed about a month ago. Have you called/emailed them to see if they can expedite your decision? I contacted them a few times about it as deadlines approached last month and, though I never got confirmation it was due to my inquiry, I got my decision within a week after doing so. I was CR2 for about a week and then went final review for just an hour or two.

I have called and emailed. They said I should receive a decision no later than 5/31. I applied the first week of December.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:38 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
epgenius wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:

I have called and emailed. They said I should receive a decision no later than 5/31. I applied the first week of December.

Jesus, what a farce. And then, should you be wait listed and accepted they expect an answer and $500 within 3 business days... I'd be astonished at the gaul were it not so brutally sad. My condolences, buddy.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 3:44 pm

epgenius wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:

Jesus, what a farce. And then, should you be wait listed and accepted they expect an answer and $500 within 3 business days... I'd be astonished at the gaul were it not so brutally sad. My condolences, buddy.[/quote]

Haha yes! Since I'm not on the wait list I can't even send in any updates either about awards/promotions etc. Makes no sense. I tried sending stuff but they said you had to be on the wait list for that. If I get a 3 day window my uncle owns a law firm in LA, so I could stay with him (assuming my boss lets me take off work), but I hope they would help out with the flight. As it would be expensive to book a flight from the east coast with zero notice. Insanity!

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:53 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Haha yes! Since I'm not on the wait list I can't even send in any updates either about awards/promotions etc. Makes no sense. I tried sending stuff but they said you had to be on the wait list for that. If I get a 3 day window my uncle owns a law firm in LA, so I could stay with him (assuming my boss lets me take off work), but I hope they would help out with the flight. As it would be expensive to book a flight from the east coast with zero notice. Insanity!

If you need it, you can crash on my couch... I'm about 20 minutes from SC. At least you got a lot of $$ from WUSTL, that's gotta ease it a bit... Still, I wonder if they're keeping you on as collateral should more 167's withdraw from the wait list admits. Doesn't really make any sense either way though...

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:54 pm

jdmonkey wrote:

Wow, still in CR2? I submitted on Jan 23th and was waitlisted on May 9th. I was in CR2 for quite a while too.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 pm

epgenius wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Haha yes! Since I'm not on the wait list I can't even send in any updates either about awards/promotions etc. Makes no sense. I tried sending stuff but they said you had to be on the wait list for that. If I get a 3 day window my uncle owns a law firm in LA, so I could stay with him (assuming my boss lets me take off work), but I hope they would help out with the flight. As it would be expensive to book a flight from the east coast with zero notice. Insanity!

If you need it, you can crash on my couch... I'm about 20 minutes from SC. At least you got a lot of $$ from WUSTL, that's gotta ease it a bit... Still, I wonder if they're keeping you on as collateral should more 167's withdraw from the wait list admits. Doesn't really make any sense either way though...

Yeah I'd rather be wait listed so I can send in my updates. Thanks for the offer with the housing, but I'm OK on that front.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm

epgenius wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:

And you accepted with the 75k, right? Did you already put in your deposit? At least you've been vocal on TLS, there are still like 8 people who were taken in the last round who haven't updated their profiles to say whether or not they've withdrawn.

Yup. With the scholly usc just made the most sense.

annjel

Postby annjel » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Submitted my app on deadline. Didn't keep track of all the updates. Finally got in last Thurs w/ 60K. Bummed that they only gave me until today to make a decision. The offer is tempting since I'd have to choose between USC and UCLA (went to UCLA for undergrad) However, I'm retaking in June hoping to re-apply and get into the top 10. So it looks like I'll be withdrawing by 5 this afternoon.

Stats: 168/3.3x
Last edited by annjel on Tue May 21, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 pm

annjel wrote:Submitted my app on deadline. Didn't keep track of all the updates. Finally got in last Thurs w/ 60K. Bummed that they only gave me until today to make a decision. The offer is tempting since I'd have to choose between USC and UCLA (went to UCLA for undergrad) However, I'm retaking in June hoping to re-apply and get into the top 10. So it looks like I'll be withdrawing by 5 this afternoon.

Please do if you don't plan on attending so that people on the WL like me have a better chance. BTW I am 167/3.5 what do u guys think my chances are?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

leepokman wrote:
annjel wrote:Submitted my app on deadline. Didn't keep track of all the updates. Finally got in last Thurs w/ 60K. Bummed that they only gave me until today to make a decision. The offer is tempting since I'd have to choose between USC and UCLA (went to UCLA for undergrad) However, I'm retaking in June hoping to re-apply and get into the top 10. So it looks like I'll be withdrawing by 5 this afternoon.

Please do if you don't plan on attending so that people on the WL like me have a better chance. BTW I am 167/3.5 what do u guys think my chances are?

Frustratingly good... no offense.

zman

Postby zman » Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm

It will be hard to be accepted by a top 10 with a 3.3 regardless of LSAT.

annjel

Postby annjel » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 pm

zman wrote: It will be hard to be accepted by a top 10 with a 3.3 regardless of LSAT.

absolutely agree. but i can honestly say that i wasn't ready to apply this cycle and gave it my 60% effort applying deadline for the entire top 18 and was surprised to get waitlisted at columbia, penn, cornell, georgetown, and uva. so it makes me wonder what re-taking, giving my 100% on apps, and applying early might do. i want to believe i have some strong softs and although i figured i wasn't URM (im Filipino), some schools are treating me as one. but yeah, i realize it'll be tough given my crap GPA.

leepokman

Postby leepokman » Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 pm

annjel wrote:
zman wrote: It will be hard to be accepted by a top 10 with a 3.3 regardless of LSAT.

absolutely agree. but i can honestly say that i wasn't ready to apply this cycle and gave it my 60% effort applying deadline for the entire top 18 and was surprised to get waitlisted at columbia, penn, cornell, georgetown, and uva. so it makes me wonder what re-taking, giving my 100% on apps, and applying early might do. i want to believe i have some strong softs and although i figured i wasn't URM (im Filipino), some schools are treating me as one. but yeah, i realize it'll be tough given my crap GPA.

Well 3.3 gpa is not good but if you can retake and get your LSAT up to 170, I don't think your GPA is going to hold you back that much.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”