USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
redmessengerbag
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby redmessengerbag » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:19 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
redmessengerbag wrote:FR 4/15 DF 4/18...

No email...Ding...

If it was waitlist, the status would go straight to waitlist instead of DF right?


Not sure. Are you WLd and does the status say that on your checker?

I have read through pages of this thread trying to identify a pattern between notification methods and decision and I can't identify a correlation. It seems they've notified some people by snail mail only for admit and WL, some by email and snail for admit and WL, and denies only by snail.

I've also tried to identify batches, but I think it is more likely the committee makes decisions or suggestions and then fires a batch at the Dean or Assistant Dean of admissions to OK or sign off on.

Around the range I'm at there also doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between admit/deny/WL and numbers, that is if they consider me a URM due to being an immigrant (albeit a white one) or consider significant WE. Oh boy. Probably I'll just be a ding.


Status just says Decision Finalized...hoping for a waitlist...but unlikely. Good luck with your app, my 7/8 years of quality WE couldn't save me from the low numbers.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:41 pm

redmessengerbag wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
redmessengerbag wrote:FR 4/15 DF 4/18...

No email...Ding...

If it was waitlist, the status would go straight to waitlist instead of DF right?


Not sure. Are you WLd and does the status say that on your checker?

I have read through pages of this thread trying to identify a pattern between notification methods and decision and I can't identify a correlation. It seems they've notified some people by snail mail only for admit and WL, some by email and snail for admit and WL, and denies only by snail.

I've also tried to identify batches, but I think it is more likely the committee makes decisions or suggestions and then fires a batch at the Dean or Assistant Dean of admissions to OK or sign off on.

Around the range I'm at there also doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between admit/deny/WL and numbers, that is if they consider me a URM due to being an immigrant (albeit a white one) or consider significant WE. Oh boy. Probably I'll just be a ding.


Status just says Decision Finalized...hoping for a waitlist...but unlikely. Good luck with your app, my 7/8 years of quality WE couldn't save me from the low numbers.


Thanks! GL to you too! I have lost a lot of faith in the supposed consideration of soft factors; this whole process is almost 100% numbers, save for HYS, where you need numbers and then some.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Damn, almost 5pm PST already.

Ding'd.

:(

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:01 pm

boblawlob wrote:Damn, almost 5pm PST already.

Ding'd.

:(


Based on getting a letter saying so, or based on not getting an email?

In any case, my condolences if you've found out for sure. :/

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
boblawlob wrote:Damn, almost 5pm PST already.

Ding'd.

:(


Based on getting a letter saying so, or based on not getting an email?

In any case, my condolences if you've found out for sure. :/

the latter

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 pm

boblawlob wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
boblawlob wrote:Damn, almost 5pm PST already.

Ding'd.

:(


Based on getting a letter saying so, or based on not getting an email?

In any case, my condolences if you've found out for sure. :/

the latter


Seems like some people got admits in the mail without emails. Am I wrong in this? Nevertheless, I will most definitely be dinged.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 pm

anyone hear anything today?

User avatar
AKsnow
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby AKsnow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm

anteater1 wrote:
KingFish wrote:
AKsnow wrote:
KingFish wrote:Anyone have the full schedule for Law Day? I think I might have seen it at some point, but now I can't find it. Thanks.


I think it was in the registration.... Maybe go back through and "register" but don't complete it and just look at the schedule (and post it here :lol: )

Here we go:

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6051763 ... ent_title#


such a long day... I'm gonna need a few redbulls.

btw, is there a consensus on business casual?

Yeah business casual. Said so in the e-mail :)

I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!

lawschoolsoldier
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby lawschoolsoldier » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 pm

mcs268 wrote:Doesn't appear to be a lot of happy I'm attending posts, at least for those with scholarships. Hopefully this bodes well for waitlisters...


well most of those that were offered the 105k,120k,135k will end up at other schools. IF USC just started bumping up those people to full rides they would get more commits quicker I think. the facebook site is slowly growing though and a bunch of people have committed on facebook.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby KingFish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm

AKsnow wrote:I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!

That's awesome!

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm

AKsnow wrote:Yeah business casual. Said so in the e-mail :)

I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!


That's the worst, I feel like I'm a solid casual and formal dresser but when it gets to business casual I never know what's appropriate.

Hope you're enjoying the warm weather 8)

User avatar
AKsnow
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby AKsnow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 pm

anteater1 wrote:
AKsnow wrote:Yeah business casual. Said so in the e-mail :)

I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!


That's the worst, I feel like I'm a solid casual and formal dresser but when it gets to business casual I never know what's appropriate.

Hope you're enjoying the warm weather 8)


Wish I could help ya there. Idk what business casual is for dudes. Slacks shirt no tie?

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 pm

AKsnow wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
AKsnow wrote:Yeah business casual. Said so in the e-mail :)

I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!


That's the worst, I feel like I'm a solid casual and formal dresser but when it gets to business casual I never know what's appropriate.

Hope you're enjoying the warm weather 8)


Wish I could help ya there. Idk what business casual is for dudes. Slacks shirt no tie?


Khakis, shoes that aren't running shoes, button-up shirt with no tie, maybe a sweater vest, a polo would be cutting it close but would work. I usually prefer to be slightly over-dressed than under dressed, but that's just me.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
AKsnow wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
AKsnow wrote:Yeah business casual. Said so in the e-mail :)

I just landed in LA from Alaska! Excited for tomorrow!!!


That's the worst, I feel like I'm a solid casual and formal dresser but when it gets to business casual I never know what's appropriate.

Hope you're enjoying the warm weather 8)


Wish I could help ya there. Idk what business casual is for dudes. Slacks shirt no tie?


Khakis, shoes that aren't running shoes, button-up shirt with no tie, maybe a sweater vest, a polo would be cutting it close but would work. I usually prefer to be slightly over-dressed than under dressed, but that's just me.


do people still wear sweater vests? people besides Jim Tressel?

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 pm

anteater1 wrote:
do people still wear sweater vests? people besides Jim Tressel?


I do. Something like this works. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xeqk8ZPAg9w/T ... s400/1.jpg

or this
http://bestupnow.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-vest.jpg

or this
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2620546_f248.jpg

but avoid something like this
http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com ... =627&h=450



I'm not a fan of the actual "vest" sweater vest, though. Of course, it's not necessary to rush out and BUY a sweater vest. :) Khakis and a button up are equally "business casual."

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
do people still wear sweater vests? people besides Jim Tressel?


I do. Something like this works. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xeqk8ZPAg9w/T ... s400/1.jpg

or this
http://bestupnow.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-vest.jpg

or this
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2620546_f248.jpg

but avoid something like this
http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com ... =627&h=450



I'm not a fan of the actual "vest" sweater vest, though. Of course, it's not necessary to rush out and BUY a sweater vest. :) Khakis and a button up are equally "business casual."


LOL, contest #2 actually pulls it off

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:17 pm

anteater1 wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
do people still wear sweater vests? people besides Jim Tressel?


I do. Something like this works. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xeqk8ZPAg9w/T ... s400/1.jpg

or this
http://bestupnow.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-vest.jpg

or this
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2620546_f248.jpg

but avoid something like this
http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com ... =627&h=450



I'm not a fan of the actual "vest" sweater vest, though. Of course, it's not necessary to rush out and BUY a sweater vest. :) Khakis and a button up are equally "business casual."


LOL, contest #2 actually pulls it off


Haha. Right. Not sure if the guy in your tar is you, but it looks like he could be the guy in pic #4. 8)

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby CO2016YEAH » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Did anyone who had had DF lately actually get an email that day stating in/WL?

redmessengerbag
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby redmessengerbag » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:34 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
do people still wear sweater vests? people besides Jim Tressel?


I do. Something like this works. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xeqk8ZPAg9w/T ... s400/1.jpg

or this
http://bestupnow.com/wp-content/uploads ... r-vest.jpg

or this
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/2620546_f248.jpg

but avoid something like this
http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com ... =627&h=450



I'm not a fan of the actual "vest" sweater vest, though. Of course, it's not necessary to rush out and BUY a sweater vest. :) Khakis and a button up are equally "business casual."


I want a Mario Bros sweater!! I'd totally sport it.

User avatar
enidwexler
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby enidwexler » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Changed to "Decision Finalized" yesterday. Is there any way to figure out what the decision is other than waiting for the email/snail mail notification? Is there an admitted students portal we can try to log in to?

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby jdmonkey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 pm

enidwexler wrote:Changed to "Decision Finalized" yesterday. Is there any way to figure out what the decision is other than waiting for the email/snail mail notification? Is there an admitted students portal we can try to log in to?



Lucky you! I've been on CR 2 for 2 months.

User avatar
Pierrot
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Pierrot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Has anyone had luck getting an increase in scholly (especially those who got $0 initially)? I sent an email on Monday but haven't heard back yet. USC is my #1 right now and just need $ to commit.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby zman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Pierrot wrote:Has anyone had luck getting an increase in scholly (especially those who got $0 initially)? I sent an email on Monday but haven't heard back yet. USC is my #1 right now and just need $ to commit.


some people of the waitlist last year got money late in the process.

User avatar
AKsnow
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby AKsnow » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 pm

It was so nice to meet some of you today!

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm

AKsnow wrote:It was so nice to meet some of you today!



Do you mind talking about the law day? I wasn't able to make it and would love to hear what everyone thought of it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, bloomsday, fattsdomino, okf731 and 9 guests