USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
A.Taarabt7

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Gpa is lower than their 25% but as an accounting major I get a slight boost.

Nope. In fact, it might be just the opposite in tie-breaking situations.

Law school faculty like to think of themselves as academics, and not professional school faculty. Thus, in their heart-of-hearts, they much prefer a traditional liberal arts major.

hm interesting

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:42 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
Gpa is lower than their 25% but as an accounting major I get a slight boost.

Nope. In fact, it might be just the opposite in tie-breaking situations.

Law school faculty like to think of themselves as academics, and not professional school faculty. Thus, in their heart-of-hearts, they much prefer a traditional liberal arts major.

hm interesting

I would argue the opposite, particularly if the accounting major had work experience and/or a demonstrated interest in something like tax or adjacent legal fields.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

so how are your guys cycle going? Would u say USC is the most competitive of the schools in SoCal ?

whats the feedback you've been getting

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:so how are your guys cycle going? Would u say USC is the most competitive of the schools in SoCal ?

you're burning up precious LSAT study hours. UCLA & USC are almost identical

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:so how are your guys cycle going? Would u say USC is the most competitive of the schools in SoCal ?

your burning up precious LSAT study hours. UCLA & USC are almost identical

TITCR

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

dproduct wrote:
Charlie.Home wrote:

your burning up precious LSAT study hours. UCLA & USC are almost identical

TITCR

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 pm

well come on let me know

I got 7 months. I can spare one hour to learn more from you guys and gals

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 pm

UCLA is a TAD bit hard to get into than USC. Because their LSAT median is a 168. But as said before, every point is a huge difference. Ironically your job prospects are better at USC, though.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm

mcs268 wrote:UCLA is a TAD bit hard to get into than USC. Because their LSAT median is a 168. But as said before, every point is a huge difference. Ironically your job prospects are better at USC, though.

Again, this years data would suggest otherwise. Last year, USC edged UCLA. But neither are far enough apart to make one a clear winner.

And to A.Taarabt7, while job prospects are very similar, the biggest difference would seem to be class size. USC's is much smaller than UCLA's... not sure if UCLA is going to try and reduce, it remains to be seen. We'll have more information at the end of this cycle.

raekaya

Postby raekaya » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 pm

So I just toured USC and thought I'd add my overall impression. Sorry if I'm repeating anyone and feel free to comment or correct me if I'm wrong!

Pros:
Apparently you aren't told your class ranking unless you are in the top 10%. OCIs are blind so you don't need a certain ranking to get a shot at them and I think that adds to the students being less competitive with each other.
It seems like the small size really lends to lots of attention from the faculty/career services. I was excited about the opportunities for clinics and externships and it seems like if you want to do something like that it would be easy to find a good fit.
While the law building wasn't beautiful, I thought the rest of campus was stunning.
The public transportation runs right in front in the school. I'm not from LA so I know nothing about it but it seems convenient.
Cheap "on-campus" housing (compared to other LA schools)
There was actually diversity!

Cons:
Air pollution. The weather was hot without being sunny. This was my first time in the area so maybe it was just a cloudy day and not permanently that way from the smog.
The noisy/industrial feel at some parts of campus but that could be because construction was going on
Not tour related but I haven't gotten as much attention from USC as I have from other law schools. For example, it's the only school I haven't received congratulations e-mails from 2 or 3Ls from and all that stuff.

Neutrals:
The law building felt like a ghost town. There wasn't really a central place for students to hang out between classes (besides the cafe and library) so I barely encountered any students there. I therefore didn't get to experience the same friendly vibe that others talk about. I don't doubt it exists but I can't speak to it first hand.

Overall, still one of my top choices! But I don't think the campus could have broken that deal anyway.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 pm

what do you guys think/know about UCI? I hear they are very ambitious and have hired/invested a lot of $$ into the school. Worth going to? or touring?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:well come on let me know

I got 7 months. I can spare one hour to learn more from you guys and gals

wrong thread, brah (this is a thread for nervous applicants, not bored pre-lsat noobs)

Go study, do well on the LSAT, then come back, make an on-topic thread. By that time you (and us, too!) will definitely know how this cycle went.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:24 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:what do you guys think/know about UCI? I hear they are very ambitious and have hired/invested a lot of $$ into the school. Worth going to? or touring?

can you stop posting. now. thanks.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:what do you guys think/know about UCI? I hear they are very ambitious and have hired/invested a lot of $$ into the school. Worth going to? or touring?

Wrong thread. Please stop.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm

I indulged the earlier posts, this is beyond the scope of this thread:

viewforum.php?f=1

Use the search function, it's been argued to death.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 pm

ok ok all u gotta do is let me know . I'll stop

good luck hope u guys get off the WL and get some scholarship $. If not then I hope you achieve great success at the school you deposit $ at.

I'll browse through some of this thread to get a glimpse of what the cycle was like for you guys.

have a great day

Raymond112909

Postby Raymond112909 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

So how does the scholarship reservation thing work exactly?? The 1st deposit is on the may 1st but the scholarship deadline is April 15th. Do you just fill something out to reserve your ship or do you have to make some sort of deposit as well??

Also, those who were admitted to higher schools please withdraw soon if USC is not a serious option haha I need some cash so it would be greatly appreciated.

Pierrot

Postby Pierrot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Got my scholarship email - a very disappointing $0 :( I'm planning on withdrawing. Hope one of you WLsters gets my spot!

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm

raekaya wrote:Cons:
Air pollution. The weather was hot without being sunny. This was my first time in the area so maybe it was just a cloudy day and not permanently that way from the smog.

That's just haze, not smog. LA isn't like Beijing, smog never blocks out the sun. It's by the ocean so you get marine layer/humidity sometimes. May gray and June gloom are common things in SoCal as you get closer to the coast. That goes away as the days get hotter. You just came on a "bad weather" day haha

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Dinged. Not surprised, but...

Dear USC,

Instead of sending a letter to rejected applicants, please e-mail them in the future.

Sincerely,
Trees

andy261

Postby andy261 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm

KingFish wrote:
raekaya wrote:Cons:

That's just haze, not smog. LA isn't like Beijing, smog never blocks out the sun. It's by the ocean so you get marine layer/humidity sometimes. May gray and June gloom are common things in SoCal as you get closer to the coast. That goes away as the days get hotter. You just came on a "bad weather" day haha

Yeah... LA definitely has smog. Maybe not as bad as Beijing, but worse than most of the U.S.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 pm

andy261 wrote:Yeah... LA definitely has smog. Maybe not as bad as Beijing, but worse than most of the U.S.

I'm just saying that what he saw wasn't smog. I live here, it hasn't been excessively smoggy the past couple weeks. The sun wasn't blocked out by smog like he suggested. It's just moisture.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

KingFish wrote:
andy261 wrote:Yeah... LA definitely has smog. Maybe not as bad as Beijing, but worse than most of the U.S.

I'm just saying that what he saw wasn't smog. I live here, it hasn't been excessively smoggy the past couple weeks. The sun wasn't blocked out by smog like he suggested. It's just moisture.

Fair enough. It does get pretty smoggy at other times though.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 pm

andy261 wrote:
KingFish wrote:

Fair enough. It does get pretty smoggy at other times though.

Oh for sure. The hotter the air, the browner the smog. Combined with zero rain from June to September and it can get bad.

Jonathk1

Postby Jonathk1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Raymond112909 wrote:So how does the scholarship reservation thing work exactly?? The 1st deposit is on the may 1st but the scholarship deadline is April 15th. Do you just fill something out to reserve your ship or do you have to make some sort of deposit as well??

Also, those who were admitted to higher schools please withdraw soon if USC is not a serious option haha I need some cash so it would be greatly appreciated.

Interested as well regarding this. What is the deal with "reserving" scholarships?

Also, https://www.facebook.com/groups/419578124796918/ for recent admits.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”