USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LizardRock

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby LizardRock » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 pm

eomea5 wrote:CR1 today after being complete since 1/15.

+1

mustached

Postby mustached » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 pm

WL

173/3.9

From SoCal.

Mid Jan. complete.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm

mustached wrote:WL

173/3.9

From SoCal.

Mid Jan. complete.

Wtf...

cowabunga85

Postby cowabunga85 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
mustached wrote:WL

173/3.9

From SoCal.

Mid Jan. complete.

Wtf...

Your numbers are great! WTF??

mustached

Postby mustached » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Not totally sure. Kinda of surprised. All I can think is yield protect.

I'm thinking if I sent a solid "why USC" letter then I'd get off the WL, but you can never be sure I guess.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 pm

mustached wrote:Not totally sure. Kinda of surprised. All I can think is yield protect.

I'm thinking if I sent a solid "why USC" letter then I'd get off the WL, but you can never be sure I guess.

If you're serious about attending, I can't imagine they wouldn't rip you off the WL with $$$$$$$.

cowabunga85

Postby cowabunga85 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

mustached wrote:Not totally sure. Kinda of surprised. All I can think is yield protect.

Can someone please explain yield protection? I'm vaguely familar with the concept, but I don't understand the process at all.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

cowabunga85 wrote:

Can someone please explain yield protection? I'm vaguely familar with the concept, but I don't understand the process at all.

Schools WL (and sometimes ding) applicants with numbers way above their medians because they expect them to go elsewhere. The term comes from the idea that schools want to "protect" their yield (i.e. keep it low) for ranking purposes.

ETA: to Kanye's point, yield is:

# Matriculating (actually attending) / # Offers Extended (acceptances)
Last edited by teiswei on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KanyeShrug

Postby KanyeShrug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Schools don't want to accept people they know (or think) won't end up attending. Higher percentage of accepts to attends is better for rankings.
Last edited by KanyeShrug on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

anteater1 wrote:I'm so baffled about my chances now, people with stats lesser than mine and higher than mine have been waitlisted and I'm still sitting at 11/14 complete > 2/12 CR1.

Someone clue me in for God's Sake.

I have the exact same complete and CR1 dates. I have no idea what is going on.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

stone_fox wrote:
anteater1 wrote:I'm so baffled about my chances now, people with stats lesser than mine and higher than mine have been waitlisted and I'm still sitting at 11/14 complete > 2/12 CR1.

Stats?

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

anteater1 wrote:
stone_fox wrote:

Stats?

Oops sorry. 162/3.65 MA URM. I have no idea why they haven't just dinged me already.

b123

Postby b123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

dproduct wrote:
cowabunga85 wrote:Is anyone considering the video option?

I think I'm just going to write a letter. That seems awfully weird.

To be frank, the whole "send in a video begging us to let you in" seems a bit demeaning to me. I'm not doing it.

KanyeShrug

Postby KanyeShrug » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

b123 wrote:To be frank, the whole "send in a video begging us to let you in" seems a bit demeaning to me. I'm not doing it.

My level of shame has dwindled to "non-existent" the last 3 months.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:
b123 wrote:To be frank, the whole "send in a video begging us to let you in" seems a bit demeaning to me. I'm not doing it.

My level of shame has dwindled to "non-existent" the last 3 months.

Woooooord. Im ashamed of what I'd do to get in at this point :lol:

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

CR1 today after sitting at 1/15 complete. Can't wait to get a decision within the next few hours. Wait...

biznardos

Postby biznardos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

stone_fox wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
stone_fox wrote:

Stats?

Oops sorry. 162/3.65 MA URM. I have no idea why they haven't just dinged me already.

I have your exact numbers, stone_fox, and I was accepted! Don't stop...believin

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:37 pm

going to read through this entire thread as this is my target school. I am from Southern California and it would be a dream to attend here.

Gpa is lower than their 25% but as an accounting major I get a slight boost.

I am aiming for a top score though that will hopefully help me qualify for acceptance. Target score is 176. I just started my prep yesterday. Will be hiring a tutor as well that scored 178 to help me with the process.

How has this cycle been to you guys? Like I said, I will read through this entire thread over the course of my prep so I can see what it takes to get accepted to this amazing university.

I got strong softs and very good work experience as well.

I do not mean to offend anyone in case this message comes across like that. I just wanted to introduce myself. Best of luck to you guys. Hope you get off the waitlist or if you are accepted then perhaps negotiate for some scholarship $$

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:45 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:going to read through this entire thread as this is my target school. I am from Southern California and it would be a dream to attend here.

I am aiming for a top score though that will hopefully help me qualify for acceptance. Target score is 176. I just started my prep yesterday. Will be hiring a tutor as well that scored 178 to help me with the process.

How has this cycle been to you guys? Like I said, I will read through this entire thread over the course of my prep so I can see what it takes to get accepted to this amazing university.

I do not mean to offend anyone in case this message comes across like that. I just wanted to introduce myself. Best of luck to you guys. Hope you get off the waitlist or if you are accepted then perhaps negotiate for some scholarship $$

The only thing you should do now is study your ass for the LSAT. You will get very little to no boost because you were an accounting major. Schools are desperate and will take 99.9 percent of the time the GPA/LSAT combo that serves them best.

If I have learned one thing this cycle- it is just how important your numbers are. For the most part, anyone here could predict your cycle's results just based off numbers. The fact that your LSAT tutor scored such a high score should not be important to you. Someone who scored a 169 could be a far superior tutor, but just can't kill it test day.

We all wanted to score a 180, but very few people can. One point makes the difference literally- at any score over a 165. The best thing you can do is study for the LSAT like crazy.

When looking at schools you need to be at or above one of the medians to have a shot. No one told me this and law school predictor gives a lot of false hope.

Pm me of you want, but these are te things I've learned

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:going to read through this entire thread as this is my target school. I am from Southern California and it would be a dream to attend here.

The only thing you should do now is study your ass for the LSAT. You will get very little to no boost because you were an accounting major. Schools are desperate and will take 99.9 percent of the time the GPA/LSAT combo that serves them best.

If I have learned one thing this cycle- it is just how important your numbers are. For the most part, anyone here could predict your cycle's results just based off numbers. The fact that your LSAT tutor scored such a high score should not be important to you. Someone who scored a 169 could be a far superior tutor, but just can't kill it test day.

We all wanted to score a 180, but very few people can. One point makes the difference literally- at any score over a 165. The best thing you can do is study for the LSAT like crazy.

When looking at schools you need to be at or above one of the medians to have a shot. No one told me this and law school predictor gives a lot of false hope.

Pm me of you want, but these are te things I've learned

hm interesting. I used law school predictor to let me know what schools were possible with a given score since I will be a "splitter" at schools such as USC.

I have some other softs but ya I definitely agree with you hence why I am reapplying this cycle ( only studied for 2 months, all my friends said retake with proper amount of time and reapply next cycle)

I plan on visiting to get more info. I have been to the school a lot in the past but never the Law School.

u get in? or WL?

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Wl- just below both medians.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Nope. In fact, it might be just the opposite in tie-breaking situations.

Law school faculty like to think of themselves as academics, and not professional school faculty. Thus, in their heart-of-hearts, they much prefer a traditional liberal arts major.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm

i want my, i want my ding, SC!

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 pm

would be dope to have another accounting dude(ette) at usc. do you have dat big4 experience?

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:

would be dope to have another accounting dude(ette) at usc. do you have dat big4 experience?

F500 and government. Doing Americorps right now. 1 year assignment

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”