USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Pierrot wrote:I've been on 1st committee read since 1/25 and now that the rejections have started I'm so worried! :( IDK if my high GPA will offset my LSAT. USC is one of my top choices right now.

I think you're going to be fine based upon previous acceptances.

SGrant723

Postby SGrant723 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 pm

So I'm sitting at a CR 1st read on 1/22. Should I be concerned or send a follow up? I'm a 166 / 3.75 non URM. Any advice? Thanks guys!

bellbane12

Postby bellbane12 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm

SGrant723 wrote:So I'm sitting at a CR 1st read on 1/22. Should I be concerned or send a follow up? I'm a 166 / 3.75 non URM. Any advice? Thanks guys!

Based on previous acceptances, I think you'll be fine. Maybe a waitlist based on the 166, maybe not.
I don't think sending a follow up right now would help much.

zman

Postby zman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm

SGrant723 wrote:So I'm sitting at a CR 1st read on 1/22. Should I be concerned or send a follow up? I'm a 166 / 3.75 non URM. Any advice? Thanks guys!

waitlist probably. be patient if you are serious about USC but you might money from places like irvine and loyola if you are from california

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:
bellbane12 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
bellbane12 wrote:FML for being a borderline applicant. Seriously. Fuck this shit.

Retake?

Nah I'll go to Davis.

In that case definitely retake.

Why? What's so bad about Davis? It can't be worse than Irvine. Same level probably. Irvine's high placement % will wear off soon.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Where are the most affordable, but safe, neighborhoods to live for USC students? I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating in the fall. I'm from out of state, so I really have no idea about the area. Any info/advice would be great! Thanks.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 pm

AKsnow wrote:Where are the most affordable, but safe, neighborhoods to live for USC students? I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating in the fall. I'm from out of state, so I really have no idea about the area. Any info/advice would be great! Thanks.

I think the first step is outlining your comfort zone. Are you from a large urban area? Will you have a vehicle, or will you be mainly walking?

If you've lived in a large city and aren't easily rattled you will have plentiful options.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 pm

dproduct wrote:
AKsnow wrote:Where are the most affordable, but safe, neighborhoods to live for USC students? I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating in the fall. I'm from out of state, so I really have no idea about the area. Any info/advice would be great! Thanks.

I think the first step is outlining your comfort zone. Are you from a large urban area? Will you have a vehicle, or will you be mainly walking?

If you've lived in a large city and aren't easily rattled you will have plentiful options.

Welppp-- I'm from Alaska. I'll have a car down there though.

MacB

Postby MacB » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:03 am

AKsnow wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Having lived in (almost) every major urban area in the contiguous states myself, and also rural AK for about six months... I would recommend that you prepare yourself for a bit of culture shock. Just push through that two to three month "I want to go home" period and you'll be good.

amonthofsundays

Postby amonthofsundays » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:05 am

The neighborhood north of campus (between Figueroa and Vermont) is where most students live. There are very few people living there who are not students and it is very safe in the sense that it is being patrolled 24/7 by campus safety officers (DPS). There are plenty of small, medium, and large private apartment buildings that are leased out by one of the several management companies that operate in the area. This is also where the USC owned law student housing is located. That being said the law school is at the south-east corner of campus and there is a very nice mixed-use apartment complex right across the street called Tuscany. It has a Chipotle and Chick-Fil-A right under it and it would take you less than 5 minutes to walk to the law building. The downside is that I have been told it is quite pricey. If you want to live in the LA area and commute then that is a whole different discussion but you can't really go wrong with living north of campus as long as you can deal with the usual UG shenanigans happening on a nightly basis.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:06 am

MacB wrote:
AKsnow wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Having lived in (almost) every major urban area in the contiguous states myself, and also rural AK for about six months... I would recommend that you prepare yourself for a bit of culture shock. Just push through that two to three month "I want to go home" period and you'll be good.

I live in a city in AK with about 300,000 people so it's not tiny, but definitely not LA. My boyfriend lives in San Diego so I've spent quite a bit of time there, so I'm not so sure there will be a ton of culture shock, but I just know NOTHING about the LA area other than a few athletics trips to UCLA in UG.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 am

Ok Aksnow: you have intrigued us. You are from Alaska. No one is from Alaska. Explain.

Also you have a boyfriend in SD. Explain. How did you meet?

Why is USC your first choice?

zman

Postby zman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:39 am

Alaska?? What UG did you got to again?

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:33 am

Hahahah I mean SOME people are from AK. It's awesome here. I went to UG in the PNW, if you wanna know where PM.

My boyfriend is stationed in SD for the Navy, we met in high school.

USC has become my top contender because of the scholly they offered as well as their alumni network since I will probably end up in socal.

duncanmn95

Postby duncanmn95 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:58 pm

So I sent in my app pretty late, like maybe btw 25 December and 1 January, and I've been "complete" since 2 January. Am I like not getting in? LSAT 168, LSDAS 3.37 non-URM, blahblahblah

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:33 pm

duncanmn95 wrote:So I sent in my app pretty late, like maybe btw 25 December and 1 January, and I've been "complete" since 2 January. Am I like not getting in? LSAT 168, LSDAS 3.37 non-URM, blahblahblah

You're probably going to miss out on money at a lot of places (translation: I'd apply again early next cycle). You're lucky you have a 168, USC is going to want that for sure. Ultimately, you'll probably get into 'SC without ever being waitlisted, but you may not get the 120k that other 168s are getting because of your GPA/late app. Good luck!

mambar

Postby mambar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm

AKsnow: Sorry for stating the obvious, but if you are going to live off campus, prepare for a pretty awful commute from just about anywhere. I think quality of life in Los Angeles is so much better if you can walk to important places. Especially school and Chipotle.

WaitingandHopeful

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 pm

1st read 2/1
2nd read 2/13
2nd read again 2/18

ok

mehh

Postby mehh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Complete: 1/2/13. Committee First Read: 2/18/13.
162 / 3.7(3.81); Non-URM. Great softs.
USC is my top choice. Should I send a LOCI now or another letter of rec??

:roll:
Last edited by mehh on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Complete 10/29
Committee 1st Read 2/1
2nd Read 2/6, 2/18

Now we wait.... again

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

1st read 1/18, second read 2/4 and 2nd read(again?) 2/18.

Anyone else have random update during their second read? I am hopeful that means they are about to put me under final review :), but was curious if anyone had experience with it.

I see someone, swooped in on this before me haha

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

amonthofsundays wrote:

The neighborhood north of campus (between Figueroa and Vermont) is where most students live. There are very few people living there who are not students and it is very safe in the sense that it is being patrolled 24/7 by campus safety officers (DPS). There are plenty of small, medium, and large private apartment buildings that are leased out by one of the several management companies that operate in the area. This is also where the USC owned law student housing is located. That being said the law school is at the south-east corner of campus and there is a very nice mixed-use apartment complex right across the street called Tuscany. It has a Chipotle and Chick-Fil-A right under it and it would take you less than 5 minutes to walk to the law building. The downside is that I have been told it is quite pricey. If you want to live in the LA area and commute then that is a whole different discussion but you can't really go wrong with living north of campus as long as you can deal with the usual UG shenanigans happening on a nightly basis.

thanks for the question and info, going to USC in a couple weeks. I will have to check it out.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

mehh wrote:Complete: 1/2/13. Committee First Read: 2/18/13.
162 / 3.7(3.81); Non-URM. Great softs.
USC is my top choice. Should I send a LOCI now or another letter of rec??

:roll:

No, you should retake the LSAT if you want to give yourself a fighting chance. I would retake in June and apply early in September. Retake again in October if you don't hit 167+

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm

uconjak wrote:
amonthofsundays wrote:

thanks for the question and info, going to USC in a couple weeks. I will have to check it out.

don't let the drive up the 110 color your opinion of usc. definitely keep an open mind at least until you get to campus.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:18 pm

The neighborhood north of campus (between Figueroa and Vermont) is where most students live. There are very few people living there who are not students and it is very safe in the sense that it is being patrolled 24/7 by campus safety officers (DPS). There are plenty of small, medium, and large private apartment buildings that are leased out by one of the several management companies that operate in the area. This is also where the USC owned law student housing is located. That being said the law school is at the south-east corner of campus and there is a very nice mixed-use apartment complex right across the street called Tuscany. It has a Chipotle and Chick-Fil-A right under it and it would take you less than 5 minutes to walk to the law building. The downside is that I have been told it is quite pricey. If you want to live in the LA area and commute then that is a whole different discussion but you can't really go wrong with living north of campus as long as you can deal with the usual UG shenanigans happening on a nightly basis.[/quote]

thanks for the question and info, going to USC in a couple weeks. I will have to check it out.[/quote]

don't let the drive up the 110 color your opinion of usc. definitely keep an open mind at least until you get to campus.[/quote]

Not to worried, went their once with my older sis, came up from the south side of the campus....If that didn't scare me, nothing will....fullujah was worst.....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”