USC c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zz888

New

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by zz888 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:08 pm

hey everyone, I posted in here earlier got into SC in may. I just got into Duke Law and am heavily considering both schools. I am a USC undergrad and want to practice in LA/California but i guess I already have that Trojan alumni network from undergrad. Any advice? I got 10k/year from SC...

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:23 pm

zz888 wrote:hey everyone, I posted in here earlier got into SC in may. I just got into Duke Law and am heavily considering both schools. I am a USC undergrad and want to practice in LA/California but i guess I already have that Trojan alumni network from undergrad. Any advice? I got 10k/year from SC...
Go to duke or ask USC for a lot more money if you really want the west coast.

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:16 pm

zz888 wrote:hey everyone, I posted in here earlier got into SC in may. I just got into Duke Law and am heavily considering both schools. I am a USC undergrad and want to practice in LA/California but i guess I already have that Trojan alumni network from undergrad. Any advice? I got 10k/year from SC...
Obviously many of us have a vested interest in your withdrawal...but I think zman is right. Im a Trojan too and you already have that connection for networking purposes, and duke is an absolutely incredible law school. Funny enough, duke will probably give you a better chance of getting a job in california (let alone a job period) than USC will (it's LST numbers are much better) and since you spend UG in LA you'll have a much easier time pumping your connections and coming back. Honestly if I were you I would go to USC and hustle them for money, but I wouldn't accept anything short of 25k/yr, and even then it would be tough to turn down duke. Duke is a fucking incredible school and I would KILL to be able to go there (their entrepreneurship center looks awesome). Congrats on having some great options and GL with your choice!

Ps Fight on

epgenius

Bronze

Post by epgenius » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Definitely go Duke... there's no sense wasting an admit to a top ten to go to USC -- any and all jobs to be had by a Trojan will be offered to you and, should you not end up wanting to practice in LA, Duke will be an open door anywhere. Good luck!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 pm

I was outright rejected from Duke, but received 25k/year at USC. Unless you have some crazy connections at Duke, I think it is safe to say that you have better numbers and/or a more compelling application than mine. I would go to Duke because of its employment numbers, and forgetting the law school, it is a better university overall. But if you want to go to USC, I would certainly ask them to reconsider their offer. Unless you have extremely wealthy parents or have a ton of money yourself, I would be concerned that you are getting screwed by USC. But congrats on the great options. Also keep in mind self-selection. over 64% of USC law comes from CA, so they are more determined to work in that state. Duke draws many more people from the east coast that want to work in DC, NYC, or Boston and don't give a crap about CA. It might be easier to break into CA from Duke as you may have less competition with your classmates from those firms versus USC where everyone wants CA.
Last edited by jdmonkey on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

epgenius

Bronze

Post by epgenius » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 pm

elblufer wrote:
radar714 wrote:Any new offers? Any deadlines that recent admits can shed light on for those of us still wading in the dark caverns of the waitlist?
When I was admitted, I was given 5 days to submit my first deposit. Second deposit deadline is in 6 days, though, so, that'll likely change. Total deposit is $1000.
Do you think, should they admit those of us waiting after July 1st, that they'll require $1,000 in a seat deposit? That seems absurd after waiting 7 months...

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Duke obviously but some of these comment here are absurd, you would think Duke was yale and Duke is not a top 10 school and you won't get california as easy as they say. go to duke but go there with the understanding that you will probably won't get that first job in california.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Duke sounds like a great bargaining chip!

Ask USC for more money!!!

Congrats :D

zorro.99

New

Post by zorro.99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I got in today with 20k a year. Pretty shocked considering my numbers, but I did my undergrad at SC and worked at the law school for a year

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:48 pm

zorro.99 wrote:I got in today with 20k a year. Pretty shocked considering my numbers, but I did my undergrad at SC and worked at the law school for a year

well at this point if they are confident they can defend their median it's all about adding a few people towards the end to get extra revenue.

zorro.99

New

Post by zorro.99 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

zman wrote:
zorro.99 wrote:I got in today with 20k a year. Pretty shocked considering my numbers, but I did my undergrad at SC and worked at the law school for a year

well at this point if they are confident they can defend their median it's all about adding a few people towards the end to get extra revenue.
what a nice thing to say

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 pm

zman wrote:

Forget Zman. You got into a top 20 school with 20k/year with a 162 LSAT. Their average scholarship is 20k/ year but their median is 167. That is incredible. Don't let anybody take that away from you. I'm assuming you are from CA, so you can take full advantage of the Trojan Network. Congrats. You must have wrote a hell of an LOCI. :mrgreen:

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Congrats!!! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Last edited by keviiiiiiiiiiiin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

didn't mean to insult, had no way of knowing the gpa or lsat score. just pointing out what schools do late in this game.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 pm

zorro.99 wrote:
zman wrote:

what a nice thing to say
Zman is probably right, though. I got in today (same scholly) and I didn't do anything except tell them I was interested in staying on the WL. None of those video interviews or LOCI. I just sent a 5ish sentence email that said my plans were flexible til July. The only thing that makes sense is that they've hit their LSAT median and are trying to push their GPA median up.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 am

Dude you guys are missing the fact that he worked for the law school for a year. Probably made a good impression and they had an extra below median spot and thought of him.

Congrats man!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am

Dolphine wrote:Dude you guys are missing the fact that he worked for the law school for a year. Probably made a good impression and they had an extra below median spot and thought of him.

Congrats man!
ITA :mrgreen:

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 am

Wait...if I was one wave later I could have (potentially) saved $15k in debt? That seems...counter-intuitive.

Either way, congratulations to both of you. I look forward to meeting you next year.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 am

elblufer wrote:Wait...if I was one wave later I could have (potentially) saved $15k in debt? That seems...counter-intuitive.
Just be glad you didn't go to wustl last year.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:16 am

elblufer wrote:Wait...if I was one wave later I could have (potentially) saved $15k in debt? That seems...counter-intuitive.

Either way, congratulations to both of you. I look forward to meeting you next year.
Reverse splitter? Well, factor in tuition raises... we'll call it 10K. Probably won't go. I've got a full ride to UofA... Unless you can convince me USC is worth 100k more than UofA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 am

Dolphine wrote:
Just be glad you didn't go to wustl last year.
yes seriously... 166/3.0 full ride this year vs 166/3.x almost no aid last year :shock:

zz888

New

Post by zz888 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 am

zman wrote:Duke obviously but some of these comment here are absurd, you would think Duke was yale and Duke is not a top 10 school and you won't get california as easy as they say. go to duke but go there with the understanding that you will probably won't get that first job in california.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Its still such a hard decision because USC still feels like my home (undegrad).

Zman - I get Duke is not Yale but not sure why you are suggesting that I should go to duke but expect not to get that first job in California? Are you suggesting that if I go to USC I would have a higher shot at getting that CA job?

Radar714 - Thanks for the advice and fight on! I wonder if we knew/know each other at SC?

Jdmonkey - I definitely do not have higher numbers than you nor crazy connections, I was just very persistent in keeping in contact with them and wrote a very extensive "why duke" essay, I believe that may have helped. Congrats on that huge SC scholly!

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 am

zz888 wrote:
zman wrote:Duke obviously but some of these comment here are absurd, you would think Duke was yale and Duke is not a top 10 school and you won't get california as easy as they say. go to duke but go there with the understanding that you will probably won't get that first job in california.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Its still such a hard decision because USC still feels like my home (undegrad).

Zman - I get Duke is not Yale but not sure why you are suggesting that I should go to duke but expect not to get that first job in California? Are you suggesting that if I go to USC I would have a higher shot at getting that CA job?

Radar714 - Thanks for the advice and fight on! I wonder if we knew/know each other at SC?

Jdmonkey - I definitely do not have higher numbers than you nor crazy connections, I was just very persistent in keeping in contact with them and wrote a very extensive "why duke" essay, I believe that may have helped. Congrats on that huge SC scholly!
There is no evidence that duke is better for California than say USC/UCLA. I think most of duke grads work in New York.

pmd49

New

Post by pmd49 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

zman wrote:
zz888 wrote:

There is no evidence that duke is better for California than say USC/UCLA. I think most of duke grads work in New York.
Certainly USC/UCLA has a slight edge for LA; the Bay Area might be about even. So yeah, all things considered, Duke would, at best, give you an even shot at Cali. If you're set on CA, stay USC, in my opinion. Let the hyped Trojan network work its magic. Also, we can become friends.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”