USC c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
epgenius

Bronze

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by epgenius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
elblufer wrote:Wait...if I was one wave later I could have (potentially) saved $15k in debt? That seems...counter-intuitive.

Either way, congratulations to both of you. I look forward to meeting you next year.
Reverse splitter? Well, factor in tuition raises... we'll call it 10K. Probably won't go. I've got a full ride to UofA... Unless you can convince me USC is worth 100k more than UofA.
Are you dead set on being in Southern California? Because, if not, I'd take the full ride... UofA is still a great school and, without that mountain of debt, your options for employment -- especially if you're not as gung ho on working BigLaw-- will be much more flexible.

mak_

New

Post by mak_ » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Last edited by mak_ on Fri May 01, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

eomea5

Bronze

Post by eomea5 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

mak_ wrote:Just got in off the waitlist and pretty excited! I tried checking in this thread but did you guys find out about your scholarships after your admission? I tried checking on the student portal but they make it seem like that part is still in review. Thanks for any help.
congrats! mind sharing stats? (or pm me) - another waitlist waiter.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

mak_ wrote:Just got in off the waitlist and pretty excited! I tried checking in this thread but did you guys find out about your scholarships after your admission? I tried checking on the student portal but they make it seem like that part is still in review. Thanks for any help.
Log onto the portal then click on "My Checklist." Then under "Action Items" click on "Download Admissions Decision Letter." That should include your scholarship and when you must pay your deposit. Then click "download scholarship letter" to see if they gave you more money since they initially admitted you.

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

eomea5 wrote:
congrats! mind sharing stats? (or pm me) - another waitlist waiter.
me 2 please! wanna see if they're favoring LSAT or GPA right now :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elblufer

Bronze

Post by elblufer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
elblufer wrote:Wait...if I was one wave later I could have (potentially) saved $15k in debt? That seems...counter-intuitive.

Either way, congratulations to both of you. I look forward to meeting you next year.
Reverse splitter? Well, factor in tuition raises... we'll call it 10K. Probably won't go. I've got a full ride to UofA... Unless you can convince me USC is worth 100k more than UofA.
Although hiring stats look a little better for USC, it's not 100k better. Enjoy U of A.

epgenius

Bronze

Post by epgenius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 pm

More people got in yesterday and today? This whole process is so exhausting and deflating... I'm starting to wish I had been denied from the get-go... (no offense to anyone who has gotten in) at least then I wouldn't have any kind of personal awareness of, or relationship with, the people who are getting in instead of me. Part of me preferred it when you all were just usernames and statistics... Congrats, in any case. :)

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

epgenius wrote:More people got in yesterday and today? This whole process is so exhausting and deflating... I'm starting to wish I had been denied from the get-go... (no offense to anyone who has gotten in) at least then I wouldn't have any kind of personal awareness of, or relationship with, the people who are getting in instead of me. Part of me preferred it when you all were just usernames and statistics... Congrats, in any case. :)

Our day will hopefully come!!! I'm just praying that their median drops to 166. They haven't made any full sticker offers yet and ~5% of the class pays full price...

Edit: according to the website about 1/2 get merit scholarships and a total of 94% are on some form of aid (need or merit) with schollys starting at 5k, and I haven't seen many schollys that low so far

Gene Parmesan

New

Post by Gene Parmesan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Has everyone been finding out via email still?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:00 am

epgenius wrote:More people got in yesterday and today? This whole process is so exhausting and deflating... I'm starting to wish I had been denied from the get-go... (no offense to anyone who has gotten in) at least then I wouldn't have any kind of personal awareness of, or relationship with, the people who are getting in instead of me. Part of me preferred it when you all were just usernames and statistics... Congrats, in any case. :)
From LSN, it looks like they are letting in splitters. To hit their median for the LSAT, you need a 167.

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 am

Since no one has posted in a while, for those who commit to SC off the WL feel free to join our facebook group for the c/o 2016 when you do.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:42 am

anteater1 wrote:Since no one has posted in a while, for those who commit to SC off the WL feel free to join our facebook group for the c/o 2016 when you do.
Well said!

Here's the link

tlsshin

New

Post by tlsshin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:57 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Since no one has posted in a while, for those who commit to SC off the WL feel free to join our facebook group for the c/o 2016 when you do.
Well said!

Here's the link
Cool! Why did you choose USC over Vandy? If you are an international student, reputation does matter (from what I've heard). I guess Vandy, being T17 with Texas and UCLA, has a slightly better reputation than USC does?

Edit: I wish to add that, by saying this, I never meant that USC is a bad school. I believe that Vandy and USC are both considered "top law schools" by general public (and by me).
Last edited by tlsshin on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:02 am

tlsshin wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
Well said!

Here's the link
Cool! Why did you choose USC over Vandy? If you are an international student, reputation does matter (from what I've heard). I guess Vandy, being T17 with Texas and UCLA, has a slightly better reputation than USC does?
From anecdotes regarding people's families in China, Middle East, etc, the Big 4 in CA (Stanford, Berk, SC, LA) are better known than most schools other than HYPSC. For undergrad anyway. Idk about law but doubt people not in the know about law schools specifically make that distinction.

Putting stock into lay-prestige is idiotic but that's what it is.

For more practical reasons, Gould has better employment numbers than Vandy and equal (marginally better for BigLaw) employment numbers than UCLA. Plus the Trojan alumni network in LA is as good as advertised. Not sure how great the Commodore network is.

tlsshin

New

Post by tlsshin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
tlsshin wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
Well said!

Here's the link
From anecdotes regarding people's families in China, Middle East, etc, the Big 4 in CA (Stanford, Berk, SC, LA) are better known than most schools other than HYPSC. For undergrad anyway. Idk about law but doubt people not in the know about law schools specifically make that distinction.

For more practical reasons, Gould has better employment numbers than Vandy and equal (marginally better) employment numbers than UCLA.

Didn't know that USC is better at getting people jobs than Vandy and UCLA are. How's it look like in comparison to Texas?

Edit: Typo :(
Last edited by tlsshin on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 am

tlsshin wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
Well said!

Here's the link

Edit: I wish to add that, by saying this, I never meant that USC is a bad school. I believe that Vandy and USC are both considered "top law schools" by general public (and by me).
I talked to US attorneys practicing in my country and most of them think USC is a far better choice for Asians(like myself). And the Trojan network in my country is surprisingly strong (alumni association here meets like every other week!). Vandy's presence here is quite minimal...

I also finished high school in CA and am really excited to return.

and lastly, I think T17 is a really bad distinction... Vandy/UT/UCLA/USC are all peers :D

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:15 am

tlsshin wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

For more practical reasons, Gould has better employment numbers than Vandy and equal (marginally better) employment numbers than UCLA.

Didn't know that USC is better at getting people jobs than Vandy and UCLA are. How's it look like iin comparison to Texas?
This is a table I made using NLJ250 data (from class of 2006 to class of 2012).

Based on the BigLaw data, it's hard to say one is better than the other.

--ImageRemoved--

I think this table really shows why TLS tends to bash Gtown and loves Cornell/Duke, etc.
Last edited by RetakeFrenzy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tlsshin

New

Post by tlsshin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
tlsshin wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Didn't know that USC is better at getting people jobs than Vandy and UCLA are. How's it look like iin comparison to Texas?
This is a table I made using NLJ250 data (from class of 2006 to class of 2012).
Thanks! Nice chart!

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:45 pm

law firms would be wise to hire more from the class that just graduated, the quality is higher than what they will be getting in the next couple of years based on LSAT drop :mrgreen:

zz888

New

Post by zz888 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi guys it was an extremely hard decision but i just withdrew and will be attending duke law. As a USC undergrad i thougt it was time for a change of scenery and dukes ranking was also a quite convincing factor. Hopefully the seat goes to one of you guys!

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm

zz888 wrote:Hi guys it was an extremely hard decision but i just withdrew and will be attending duke law. As a USC undergrad i thougt it was time for a change of scenery and dukes ranking was also a quite convincing factor. Hopefully the seat goes to one of you guys!
good luck enjoy duke!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

epgenius

Bronze

Post by epgenius » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 pm

zz888 wrote:Hi guys it was an extremely hard decision but i just withdrew and will be attending duke law. As a USC undergrad i thougt it was time for a change of scenery and dukes ranking was also a quite convincing factor. Hopefully the seat goes to one of you guys!
Congratulations again! Duke's an amazing school man, you definitely won't regret it!

epgenius

Bronze

Post by epgenius » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't understand how they can be close to filling their class right now... if you take the number of accepted and attending on LSN from the group of applicants in general (8/413) and multiply that out by the number of applications they state in total that they've received (5,987) you get the following: 5,987/413 = 14.496 * 8 = 115

By the numbers, they should only have 115 people in the class right now, if we take the group of LSN applicants as a case study. Even adding A LOT of variability, upwards of 30-40 extra people (or 30% sway), there should still easily be 25-30 spots available. Very confusing...

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm

epgenius wrote:I don't understand how they can be close to filling their class right now... if you take the number of accepted and attending on LSN from the group of applicants in general (8/413) and multiply that out by the number of applications they state in total that they've received (5,987) you get the following: 5,987/413 = 14.496 * 8 = 115

By the numbers, they should only have 115 people in the class right now, if we take the group of LSN applicants as a case study. Even adding A LOT of variability, upwards of 30-40 extra people (or 30% sway), there should still easily be 25-30 spots available. Very confusing...
there is a ton of people who don't update LSN as attending but they are in fact attending.

URMirinBrah

New

Post by URMirinBrah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:36 pm

epgenius wrote:I don't understand how they can be close to filling their class right now... if you take the number of accepted and attending on LSN from the group of applicants in general (8/413) and multiply that out by the number of applications they state in total that they've received (5,987) you get the following: 5,987/413 = 14.496 * 8 = 115

epgenius: While somewhat skeptical of the degree of variance allowed here, I dont think ur calculations are necessarily off. But if anything, u most likely validated how unrepresentative and unreliable LSN can be when it comes to predicting the actual numbers.

Forever lurking on this forum, I'd like to use this opportunity to finally declare on TLS that im IN @USC and attending (tho admitted back in March). Ill update on LSN as soon as I can get around to it.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting and hopeful on USC! Im sure the adcom has plenty of love to spread around still :-)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”