USC c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CatFacts

New

Re: USC c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by CatFacts » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:23 pm

zman wrote:scholly info for some people will come in really late because a lot of the people that were offered the 120,000 will end up at higher ranked schools and that money will be offered to others.
In via email 2/1. Seeing that scoring one point higher on the LSAT would have snagged me a 120k offer saddens me. I hope they dip into their 166 applicant pool when all the 167+ scorers go elsewhere.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:24 pm

zman wrote:scholly info for some people will come in really late because a lot of the people that were offered the 120,000 will end up at higher ranked schools and that money will be offered to others.
Not neccessarily true and doubtful if 120k was "freed up" they would just automatically "give" it to someone else. For the most part "scholarships" to law school are just discounts on tuition that is cross subsidized by someone else. I'm sure they have an idea of what they want to pay for certain numbers and they will act accordingly.

I do agree that a lot of the 120k folks will choose higher ranked schools.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Not neccessarily true and doubtful if 120k was "freed up" they would just automatically "give" it to someone else. For the most part "scholarships" to law school are just discounts on tuition that is cross subsidized by someone else. I'm sure they have an idea of what they want to pay for certain numbers and they will act accordingly.

That is true but you have to remember these are extraordinary times and schools will be forced to make cuts elsewhere(cut part time faculty or pay them less, fire staff members they don't need and hire fewer new teachers,) and spend more on students. but of course no one should be dumb enough to go to any schools at sticker unless the school is named stanford, harvard, yale and maybe one or two more.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm

zman wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

That is true but you have to remember these are extraordinary times and schools will be forced to make cuts elsewhere(cut part time faculty or pay them less, fire staff members they don't need and hire fewer new teachers,) and spend more on students. but of course no one should be dumb enough to go to any schools at sticker unless the school is named stanford, harvard, yale and maybe one or two more.
I don't know if you just communicated the bolded badly or what, but you really can't say this with any sort of absolutism. It kills me when people do. You have to take so many things into account, like opportunity cost, ties, desired location, etc.

Answer me this, zman, would I be dumb to choose Michigan at sticker over my USC 120K if I wanted to practice in LA? Would I be dumb to choose Michigan at sticker over my USC 120K if I wanted to do PI and hated LA?

See.

dolfan17

New

Post by dolfan17 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:13 pm

SAlpha wrote:
dolfan17 wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
SAlpha wrote:In, as well. Totally ecstatic!! does scholly info come in mail or would it have been in my email?
Wondering this as well.

My scholarship showed up on the admitted students website a few weeks after I was accepted
Interesting, where did this show up on the admitted students website?

Was reading their decision letter from the admitted students website and it said "Scholarship information will follow shortly under separate cover." Does every decision letter come with this or should I anticipate a scholarship in time?
They sent me an email with instructions on how to download my scholarship letter. I think it was under my checklist or something similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
zman wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

I don't know if you just communicated the bolded badly or what, but you really can't say this with any sort of absolutism. It kills me when people do. You have to take so many things into account, like opportunity cost, ties, desired location, etc.

Answer me this, zman, would I be dumb to choose Michigan at sticker over my USC 120K if I wanted to practice in LA? Would I be dumb to choose Michigan at sticker over my USC 120K if I wanted to do PI and hated LA?

See.
well I think that many people agree that Yale, stanford and harvard are the only 3 schools you can go at sticker without any hesitation. But as far as your two questions go, take USC(120K) over Michigan in LA. The other scenario is more difficult because you will probably have many more choices if you want to do PI and you "hated LA".

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Can you afford to pay sticker at CLS?

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm

uconjak wrote:Can you afford to pay sticker at CLS?
There is some risk at Columbia but it's the next best thing after the big 3. They do hand out money though unlike Harvard and Yale.

SAlpha

New

Post by SAlpha » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Not anticipating a scholarship as my #'s are below median, but was given a little hope through this line in their acceptance letter:

"Scholarship information will follow shortly under separate cover"

Seems some sort of offer is imminent or am i just reading into this too much?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 pm

SAlpha wrote:Not anticipating a scholarship as my #'s are below median, but was given a little hope through this line in their acceptance letter:

"Scholarship information will follow shortly under separate cover"

Seems some sort of offer is imminent or am i just reading into this too much?
you might get a little.

bellbane12

New

Post by bellbane12 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:53 am

LOL at the absolutism on this thread. People will go with the best option they have, and for most that doesn't include a YHS acceptance or a sky high scholarship at any other school.
If I had to choose between sticker at USC and a full ride at a tier 2 school, I would go with USC. But that's just me.

TheGeneral

New

Post by TheGeneral » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Has anyone who applied for the Rothman been accepted yet? Has anyone who applied been accepted after they applied?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm

TheGeneral wrote:Has anyone who applied for the Rothman been accepted yet? Has anyone who applied been accepted after they applied?

I was accepted after I applied for rothman. Dunno if this means I'm out of the running for rothman now or what though...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 pm

TheGeneral wrote:Has anyone who applied for the Rothman been accepted yet? Has anyone who applied been accepted after they applied?
I was sent the invite, then accepted, then applied to the Rothman, then given a scholarship a few days later.

FWIW

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I am going to be in LA the last week in Feb. any chance they let me take a tour of the Law school? I probably will not make it to ASW or a ASD.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

In 'committee 1st read' now...can that be interpreted as a good sign? Haven't seen that kind of update from any other school. Sorry as this is almost assuredly a repeat of a question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goden

Gold

Post by goden » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

romanticegotist wrote:In 'committee 1st read' now...can that be interpreted as a good sign? Haven't seen that kind of update from any other school. Sorry as this is almost assuredly a repeat of a question.
http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/onlineappl ... status.cfm

It's normal -- scroll down for an explanation.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

goden wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:In 'committee 1st read' now...can that be interpreted as a good sign? Haven't seen that kind of update from any other school. Sorry as this is almost assuredly a repeat of a question.
http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/onlineappl ... status.cfm

It's normal -- scroll down for an explanation.
ha thanks...maybe I should do something besides reflexively hit the 'check status' button on these sites.

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

still.... complete.... 11/14....

I think they're legitimately going to take 3 months to even look at my application.

feelsbadman.jpg

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

just went under committee 2nd read (2/4) (first read was 1/18)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:45 pm

slack_academic wrote:
anteater1 wrote:still.... complete.... 11/14....

I think they're legitimately going to take 3 months to even look at my application.

feelsbadman.jpg
That sounds pretty bad.
particularly bad because it's my #1 choice :evil:

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm

feelsbadman.jpg
Complete 12/5. I feel like I should write a LOCI to get them to maybe possibly look at my application.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:36 pm

feelsbadman.jpg
Complete 11/12... They hate us.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”