UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EG12

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby EG12 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 pm

I've known a lot of people that attended UF and never heard of them having a midterm.

Gator_Bait

Postby Gator_Bait » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:Congrats everyone. I'm a 1L this year if you have any questions.

Thanks. I have a question. For your first semester exams what types where they. Like m/c or essay based. Also how many hours do you think it would take a day to be at the top of the class doing school related stuff such as going to class/studying/readings?

All of mine were essay style. Some had short answer but no multiple choice. It's impossible to answer the first question. Everyone has their own study style. There are people at the top of the class who are in the library 24/7 and others who study less than average. It's about studying smart and staying on top of the material.

slawww: I don't really know anything about tuition increases. I'll find out next fall how much it went up.

Thanks for the quick reaponse. Also, were all the exams done on the computer and did you have any take home exams. Also did the classes only have finals or did any also have midterms?

First semester had no take home exams. This semester I have a midterm and a take home exam for the same class. You will have a different combination of teachers/classes than I did first semester so I can't promise you won't have a different style of exam.

slawww wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:Congrats everyone. I'm a 1L this year if you have any questions.

how do you like your classes, professors, and classmates?

I've enjoyed most of the professors I had this year. The classes that didn't let us use computers were kind of annoying since I hate hand-writing notes. I think Contracts, Torts and Civ Pro are/were my favorites and Intro to Lawyering was everyone's least favorite. Some classes cold called and some didn't; I don't really care either way but some people felt more relieved in classes that didn't. I get along with pretty much everyone in my section. I am not super outgoing but there are probably 30 people I hang out with outside of class. It's a very nice atmosphere and most people are easy to get along with. People are much more laid back and less fratty than I expected.

Postby 1693 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm

When do most apartments go up for lease and when is the best time to start looking at an apartment in Gainesville? Thanks!

Gator_Bait

Postby Gator_Bait » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm

1693 wrote:When do most apartments go up for lease and when is the best time to start looking at an apartment in Gainesville? Thanks!

I would start looking in May or during admitted students day if you will be here. It depends on the complex but a lot of them end in either may or august.

Postby 1693 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Gator_Bait wrote:
1693 wrote:When do most apartments go up for lease and when is the best time to start looking at an apartment in Gainesville? Thanks!

I would start looking in May or during admitted students day if you will be here. It depends on the complex but a lot of them end in either may or august.

Thank you. I will definitely check out some during ASD. Do you or any other current students have any recommendations? I remember a few were mentioned a few pages back but would love to hear others as well.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 pm

slawww wrote:

Thanks! I asked this question earlier in the thread somewhere, but I don't think any current students saw it. What's the deal with tuition increases? I remember hearing from someone on TLS somewhere that they where going go cap tuition at 21k/year. Any validity to that?

Also, how do you like your classes, professors, and classmates?

I actually know the answer to the first question. They haven't officially capped the tuition, but it will not be going up this year. Dean Jerry is pushing to level it out for a few years before considering additional increases.

UF2015

Postby UF2015 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Gator_Bait wrote:
First semester had no take home exams. This semester I have a midterm and a take home exam for the same class. You will have a different combination of teachers/classes than I did first semester so I can't promise you won't have a different style of exam.

And he still hasn't given us any details on the "midterm". I'm concerned about this class.

0Ls: I've genuinely enjoyed most of my classes and teachers. Intro to Lawyering is...bad.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
slawww wrote:

Thanks! I asked this question earlier in the thread somewhere, but I don't think any current students saw it. What's the deal with tuition increases? I remember hearing from someone on TLS somewhere that they where going go cap tuition at 21k/year. Any validity to that?

Also, how do you like your classes, professors, and classmates?

I actually know the answer to the first question. They haven't officially capped the tuition, but it will not be going up this year. Dean Jerry is pushing to level it out for a few years before considering additional increases.

Thanks! And that is really good to hear. So the class of 2016 can expect for tuition to remain the same all 3 years?

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

UF2015 wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:

And he still hasn't given us any details on the "midterm". I'm concerned about this class.

0Ls: I've genuinely enjoyed most of my classes and teachers. Intro to Lawyering is...bad.

The 1L midterm was section 3 for Property. They had two professors cut the class in half, so when the first professor finished her part she gave a midterm. My 1L year section 3 also had a property midterm.

slawww wrote:
Thanks! And that is really good to hear. So the class of 2016 can expect for tuition to remain the same all 3 years?

Sadly, there's no guarantee. All I know for sure is they aren't increasing tuition this year, and "hopefully" not for a few more years. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks, Moose. How have the job prospects seemed? UF just released the class of 2012 employment data, and I was hoping to see better numbers :(

whisky

Postby whisky » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm

2012 employment stats not looking too good. Percent employed in JD required jobs went down and there were 76 less people in the class of 2012 compared to the class of 2011. Here is a link to the 2012 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2013.pdf. And 2011 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2012.pdf

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 pm

whisky wrote:2012 employment stats not looking too good. Percent employed in JD required jobs went down and there were 76 less people in the class of 2012 compared to the class of 2011. Here is a link to the 2012 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2013.pdf. And 2011 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2012.pdf

Yeah I saw that =/ disheartening, especially since the other school I'm considering is Wake, and their stats have gone up significantly. -___-

whisky

Postby whisky » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm curious to see FSU's numbers now. Only a 0L, but if they are down too it may mean that the Florida market isn't bouncing back like some other markets (albeit slightly) seem to be. Anybody have any more knowledge about this?

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Are the sections different in the aspect that some are more competitive? And what determines which one you are in? Does it go by anything?

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:Are the sections different in the aspect that some are more competitive? And what determines which one you are in? Does it go by anything?

Also curious about this. All economy- related qualms aside, I'm 100% attending UF.

Gator_Bait

Postby Gator_Bait » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:43 pm

slawww wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:Are the sections different in the aspect that some are more competitive? And what determines which one you are in? Does it go by anything?

Also curious about this. All economy- related qualms aside, I'm 100% attending UF.

I've been assured by administration that they do not section stack. I guess there are "reputations" but I don't really see how you can distinguish three groups of 100 people. I am obviously better friends with those in my section but I have a lot of friends in other sections as well. You will find out in July what section you are in but you can see the schedule of courses for the various sections here

http://lic.law.ufl.edu/studentaffairs/1 ... hedule.pdf

1693 wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:

Thank you. I will definitely check out some during ASD. Do you or any other current students have any recommendations? I remember a few were mentioned a few pages back but would love to hear others as well.

People live all over the place and it really depends on your price/required amenities and etc. Students who went here for undergrad are more likely to live in different places than those who came here from a different city. The cluster of apartments on 34th and 2nd ave (camelot, point west, hawaiian, village 34, cazabella) are very popular because they are closest to the school. I also really like The Enclave, Bartram, Continuuum and some others. You'll be able to find something that fits your price range and style without too many problems.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Gator_Bait wrote:
slawww wrote:

I've been assured by administration that they do not section stack. I guess there are "reputations" but I don't really see how you can distinguish three groups of 100 people. I am obviously better friends with those in my section but I have a lot of friends in other sections as well. You will find out in July what section you are in but you can see the schedule of courses for the various sections here

http://lic.law.ufl.edu/studentaffairs/1 ... hedule.pdf

1693 wrote:
Gator_Bait wrote:

People live all over the place and it really depends on your price/required amenities and etc. Students who went here for undergrad are more likely to live in different places than those who came here from a different city. The cluster of apartments on 34th and 2nd ave (camelot, point west, hawaiian, village 34, cazabella) are very popular because they are closest to the school. I also really like The Enclave, Bartram, Continuuum and some others. You'll be able to find something that fits your price range and style without too many problems.

How do I request section 2, the earliest class is 10 vs. 9 for it. Also are the classes in any section harder?
Also how are summer classes? As in the selection and offerings

Gator_Bait

Postby Gator_Bait » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
How do I request section 2, the earliest class is 10 vs. 9 for it. Also are the classes in any section harder?
Also how are summer classes? As in the selection and offerings

You have no say in what section you want and it will be randomly assigned. I wouldn't waste your time contacting student affairs. It's hard to say whether classes are harder in one section or another. You may like a professor or their exam more than another but it's all personal preference. They break up the teachers each year. My contracts, property, and crim professors are in different sections for Fall 2013.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 pm

How do the professors do the curves? Like what percent of kids get A's, A-'s,B+'s, B's,etc. and does it very by class. And do they tell you this at the beginning of the semesters or at any point in time before the end?

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:53 pm

slawww wrote:
whisky wrote:2012 employment stats not looking too good. Percent employed in JD required jobs went down and there were 76 less people in the class of 2012 compared to the class of 2011. Here is a link to the 2012 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2013.pdf. And 2011 data: http://www.law.ufl.edu/_pdf/career/empl ... y-2012.pdf

Yeah I saw that =/ disheartening, especially since the other school I'm considering is Wake, and their stats have gone up significantly. -___-

Totally off topic to what you guys are discussing now, but I just got to look at these stats and I have some comments:

1) 5.71% of the class is pursuing a higher degree - right there the highest employment % is 94.29%
2) 1.8% of the class cannot be accounted for, so it's almost unfair to include them as "unemployed" as they very well might be employed; they're unknown, but are pulling the employment rate down unnecessarily
3) 3.6% aren't even seeking employment - they're just killing it for us.

So if you do the math (because I just did, like a real dork) you'll see that when you factor in these unknowns and non-job seekers, the real denominator is 88.89%, and the employment % is 77.17%. Thus, the ACTUAL employment rate was roughly 87% (or the national average). While other schools might not factor for these percentages and exclude them from their employment average like I have, it is only fair to remove unnecessary variables from the equation.

I say, well done UF class of 2012! :-p

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 pm

eas09d wrote:
slawww wrote:

Totally off topic to what you guys are discussing now, but I just got to look at these stats and I have some comments:

1) 5.71% of the class is pursuing a higher degree - right there the highest employment % is 94.29%
2) 1.8% of the class cannot be accounted for, so it's almost unfair to include them as "unemployed" as they very well might be employed; they're unknown, but are pulling the employment rate down unnecessarily

So if you do the math (because I just did, like a real dork) you'll see that when you factor in these unknowns and non-job seekers, the real denominator is 88.89%, and the employment % is 77.17%. Thus, the ACTUAL employment rate was roughly 87% (or the national average). While other schools might not factor for these percentages and exclude them from their employment average like I have, it is only fair to remove unnecessary variables from the equation.

Haha, true, but the most important statistics to look at are the full-time long-term JD required jobs, the full-time long-term JD preferred jobs, and (maybe) professional?

FL was definitely hit hard by the recession, hopefully the next 3 years will be prosperous!

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am

slawww wrote:
eas09d wrote:
slawww wrote:

Haha, true, but the most important statistics to look at are the full-time long-term JD required jobs, the full-time long-term JD preferred jobs, and (maybe) professional?

FL was definitely hit hard by the recession, hopefully the next 3 years will be prosperous!

For sure. It also makes me nervous, but trying to look at the statistics the way I did puts me a little more at ease about hopefully getting a job on the other end! You also have to maybe consider who got what jobs - for example, were the 58% who got jobs with required bar-passage also the top 58% of the class? Maybe those who could not get great jobs right away didn't have the most impressive grades and/or resumes (in this economy, those are very important factors). Regardless, I'm going to ask them how they explain their numbers on ASD. FSU's employment numbers are higher but those are considered in the US News rankings, which of course still place UF overall 2 spots higher.

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 am

eas09d wrote:
For sure. It also makes me nervous, but trying to look at the statistics the way I did puts me a little more at ease about hopefully getting a job on the other end! You also have to maybe consider who got what jobs - for example, were the 58% who got jobs with required bar-passage also the top 58% of the class? Maybe those who could not get great jobs right away didn't have the most impressive grades and/or resumes (in this economy, those are very important factors). Regardless, I'm going to ask them how they explain their numbers on ASD. FSU's employment numbers are higher but those are considered in the US News rankings, which of course still place UF overall 2 spots higher.

I would imagine that class rank probably plays a pretty big role. I think connections are huge, too.

Gator_Bait

Postby Gator_Bait » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 am

Gotallanswers wrote:How do the professors do the curves? Like what percent of kids get A's, A-'s,B+'s, B's,etc. and does it very by class. And do they tell you this at the beginning of the semesters or at any point in time before the end?

The curve is 3.25 for classes with over 30 people. I think if you have < 30 it's 3.6 but all 1L classes are curved to a 3.25.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am

But what percentage of kids get A's?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”