UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
meowllory

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby meowllory » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am

montev87 wrote:
eas09d wrote:
montev87 wrote:
montev87 wrote:I am 99% sure that I will be receiving a rejection letter. Is there anyone else who has tried to use the seat deposit website to test whether it works for anyone? I did my undergrad at UF, so I have my UFID and all of the information.

I'm in! I haven't received the letter, but I was able to put in my seat deposit today. :D

Congrats!!! How do u try and do that?? Still waiting on my letter too lol

https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin

I had my UFID from undergrad. I'm not sure if it was provided in advance to applicants who did not do their undergrad at UF.

just tried this and i was able to do it.. hopefully that means its acceptances coming in the mail today and tomorrow!

ufbhoy67

Postby ufbhoy67 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Hey guys,

Just a heads up, I was accepted around the middle-end of January and just got a scholarship letter in the mail yesterday. I live in Gainesville, so that probably helped with the delivery time. I emailed one of the Deans about a week ago asking about scholarships from UF, and she said that they had just met (I think it was last Wednesday) to decide on some more scholarships.

Good luck, hope to see some of you there in the Fall! Gainesville's a pretty decent town. I can try to answer any questions you guys have about the area. I've been here since 2008, graduated in 2012.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 pm

received scholarship letter in the mail today

Assolute

Postby Assolute » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Package came yesterday...
Wasn't home to get it :(
Received it today...
IN!
:D

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Anyone know if admissions is open Monday because of spring break? I'm still NDR :( hoping for some movement Monday.

pgiboney

Postby pgiboney » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Accepted. FSU or UF. This is going to be tough.

EG12

Postby EG12 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:04 am

pgiboney wrote:Accepted. FSU or UF. This is going to be tough.

Have you visited the schools? I visited both and spoke with 30+ students at each, on my own. The choice was very easy after that. I would say UF hands down, but it's all in what fits you best.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am

EG12 wrote:

Have you visited the schools? I visited both and spoke with 30+ students at each, on my own. The choice was very easy after that. I would say UF hands down, but it's all in what fits you best.

Of your converstations and visits, what stood out as the deciding factors?

EG12

Postby EG12 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 am

For me, the overall environment of the schools themselves. FSU felt like a rat-race. It had fantastic facilities, a little nicer than UF, but I didn't like the tone. To me, FSU having more couches to sit on and a nicer deli to eat at, didn't makeup for the atmosphere difference. At both schools I spoke with a diverse group, 1L, 2L, and 3L. I also spoke with transfer students. One 2L transfer, from FSU, said at UF you have more time to focus on school itself. In FSU you have a few more opportunities for internship and externship, but the outside agencies sometimes expect more than is realistic.

At FSU the faculty seemed distant from the students. It was, from my experience, a feel of "I'm the professor and you're the student." where at UF it was "I'm a lawyer and I'm training you to be the same." This is both from my perceptions and comments of those I spoke with. FSU students liked their professors but it's just a different atmosphere, not sure how to nail it down. The faculty area at UF is wide open. If the professors are not in class their door is open. At the class I sat in at UF the professor stayed after over 30 minutes answering questions and not rushing anyone. I know this depends on if there is a class afterwards and the teacher I'm sure, but it was very welcoming.

At FSU your "class size" is smaller. Both schools have practically the same section size however and at UF sections usually have class on totally different schedules, so it feels very small. This is by no means "expert" advice, but it's the best answer I can give to your question. I was moved to NDR last Monday and UF is the absolute #1 school I've been to. UF was the 5th school I've visited as well. I've been accepted to 5 other schools but they are not even an consideration unless the unfortunate news arrives that UF isn't an option. I'm not going to think that way though, here's to staying positive!

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
EG12 wrote:

Of your conversations and visits, what stood out as the deciding factors?

I can walk you through my decision making process if it will help. I went to a completely neutral undergraduate university so I had no real bias about either school before I came to visit.

First are foremost, UF was a cheaper option. The tuition is very similar but I was able to get a two bedroom apartment for LESS than a one bedroom in Tallahassee. I only looked at the row of apartments right next to the school at FSU, and they were all more expensive and smaller. I believe that some of them didn't even have central air. Those places were closer to the school than where I live, but the amount I have saved, coupled with having my own office (no roommate), has been pretty awesome. I also prefer Gainesville in general much more than Tallahassee.

Like EG12 said, the fact that UF has more students doesn't make the school feel crowded. The administration places all of the sections on completely different schedules for the most part. It sort of gives the illusion that I know everyone because when I'm walking around in between classes, it's mostly people from my section hanging out around the facilities, along with 2Ls and 3Ls.

While most would say the facilities at FSU are better, I tend to disagree in a few respects. The student lounge/cafeteria at FSU is indisputably nicer and was probably the coolest part of the FSU law school. However, the facilities in general seem much older. The plantation style building at FSU just looks worn down, especially on the outside. Even though UF has been around longer, it seems to be more updated and modern but FSU sort of has a "southern charm" feel to it. The library hours at FSU were better but I don't think the library closing at 11:30pm is really going to have any demonstrable effect on your studies.

As far as the faculty goes, I can't really compare to FSU because I visited on my own time, not at admitted students week. However, I would say that every teacher I've had has been easily accessible after class. I'm not an office-hour rat or anything but every time I have reached out for help, the professor has been happy to offer assistance. I've had a wide variety of teachers in my first year but they all seemed generally concerned as to whether we were understanding the material.

There were some other personal factors to my decision like being closer to home, being at an SEC school, friends in Gainesville, that will be different for everyone.

I can answer any specific questions via PM if you would like.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks EG and Nebula! Those are very solid answers. I actually only applied to UF, but it's good to hear what you guys consider the strong points vs. FSU. :) I'll probably be visiting in early April (provided my letter on the way is an admit, of course).

Edit: I only applied to UF of UF and FSU. I did apply to more than one school. :)

Tommycopeland

Postby Tommycopeland » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:I'll probably be visiting in early April (provided my letter on the way is an admit, of course

I visited UF Law two weeks ago for the tour and sat in on a trade secrets class. It was fantastic! I'm undergrad from UF and only a few hours away so it wasn't a big thing to visit. I was leaning UF as my top choice prior to submitting all of my applications, but after the visit, UF became my undisputed preference.

Interestingly enough, I submitted to the admissions office a very sincere 1-page addenda yesterday explaining how the recent visit has shifted my commitment from other applications to this one. I sort of "declared" that UF is where I want to attend. I wrote a little about how I enjoyed the class and spoke with the professor, met a few students, and toured the facilities. In not sure yet how committees feel about this supplemental addenda being attached after initial transmission of the application, but I think the letter is sincere and professional enough to score some points. Just thought I would share!

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Tommycopeland wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:I'll probably be visiting in early April (provided my letter on the way is an admit, of course

I visited UF Law two weeks ago for the tour and sat in on a trade secrets class. It was fantastic! I'm undergrad from UF and only a few hours away so it wasn't a big thing to visit. I was leaning UF as my top choice prior to submitting all of my applications, but after the visit, UF became my undisputed preference.

Interestingly enough, I submitted to the admissions office a very sincere 1-page addenda yesterday explaining how the recent visit has shifted my commitment from other applications to this one. I sort of "declared" that UF is where I want to attend. I wrote a little about how I enjoyed the class and spoke with the professor, met a few students, and toured the facilities. In not sure yet how committees feel about this supplemental addenda being attached after initial transmission of the application, but I think the letter is sincere and professional enough to score some points. Just thought I would share!

Hey Tom. Thanks for the follow up. I'm not sure how schools respond to addenda like the one you sent either. Some explicitly say they don't want any further correspondence. But I didn't read that on UF's site. In your case, I don't think it can really hurt, and it might just garner that extra close look and consideration that your application needs. Good luck!

Tommycopeland

Postby Tommycopeland » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:59 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Tommycopeland wrote:

Hey Tom. Thanks for the follow up. I'm not sure how schools respond to addenda like the one you sent either. Some explicitly say they don't want any further correspondence. But I didn't read that on UF's site. In your case, I don't think it can really hurt, and it might just garner that extra close look and consideration that your application needs. Good luck!

I asked two different admissions staffers if additional addenda is frowned upon...they both said the same thing. Basically, they don't encourage or discourage it, and they've in the past seen some positive results from students sending in letters that demonstrate a commitment to the school or explain why UF is their first choice! Not too late for other NDR's to get a letter in if y'all want!

Wheeeeeels

Postby Wheeeeeels » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 am

meowllory wrote:
montev87 wrote:
eas09d wrote:
montev87 wrote:I am 99% sure that I will be receiving a rejection letter. Is there anyone else who has tried to use the seat deposit website to test whether it works for anyone? I did my undergrad at UF, so I have my UFID and all of the information.

I'm in! I haven't received the letter, but I was able to put in my seat deposit today. :D

Congrats!!! How do u try and do that?? Still waiting on my letter too lol

https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin

I had my UFID from undergrad. I'm not sure if it was provided in advance to applicants who did not do their undergrad at UF.

just tried this and i was able to do it.. hopefully that means its acceptances coming in the mail today and tomorrow!

Was able to do this as well, followed by the package a few days later. Accepted!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 am

So,,, FDR for about a week. nothing in the mail yet :(

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:07 am

lhanvt13 wrote:So,,, FDR for about a week. nothing in the mail yet :(

+1

Been checking anxiously every day. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Where abouts are you? West coast here...so it has had a long way to travel.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

+1

Been checking anxiously every day. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Where abouts are you? West coast here...so it has had a long way to travel.

Haha not that far. Southern va so it shouldn't take TOO long ..

lambert8

Postby lambert8 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:57 pm

I just applied last week to give myself another option in case my first choice doesn't work out...I've been under "Received App, Processing File" status for a few days now. Does anyone remember how long it took to go from sending your app in to it being complete? Thanks.

Tommycopeland

Postby Tommycopeland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:07 pm

lambert8 wrote:I just applied last week to give myself another option in case my first choice doesn't work out...I've been under "Received App, Processing File" status for a few days now. Does anyone remember how long it took to go from sending your app in to it being complete? Thanks.

Mine was quick, about 10 days or so.

EG12

Postby EG12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 am

Mine was either 7 or 8 days between received and NDR. My guess is no progress will be made this week since UF is on spring break. This is completely a guess and I haven't seen any official posting that admissions will be closed anywhere.

EG

keegz

Postby keegz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:58 am

you should be straight... I'm 164/2.82 and I got my acceptance on Saturday :)

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:18 pm

keegz wrote:

you should be straight... I'm 164/2.82 and I got my acceptance on Saturday :)

You're breathing life back into me !

Postby 1693 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:39 pm

161 instate just got my acceptance today. took about 10 days after final decision rendered.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 pm

In today OOS 160 3.3

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”