UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotallanswers
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Gotallanswers » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:07 am

If anyone stayed in town, dance marathon is going on. It's pretty cool it ends tomorrow at like 2ish. The have all been dancing for 26.2 hours. It's t the odome

gator32
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gator32 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 am

gatorgirl2012 wrote:WLed. At least this makes FSU an easier decision.


Damn. I am sorry to hear that. I was WLed last year and reapplied, but you can't go wrong with FSU.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 am

Gotallanswers wrote:I just looked at the supplement section at the library today. And it is pretty good. Each topic has like 3-5 hornbooks and all the supplements where there. Any reason why no one is using those and still buying their own?


If you're asking about the reserves section behind the library desk, we can only check those out for two hours at a time so that's why they are all there. Plenty of people use them.

Gotallanswers
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Gotallanswers » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:37 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:I just looked at the supplement section at the library today. And it is pretty good. Each topic has like 3-5 hornbooks and all the supplements where there. Any reason why no one is using those and still buying their own?


If you're asking about the reserves section behind the library desk, we can only check those out for two hours at a time so that's why they are all there. Plenty of people use them.

Dam guess I have to buy them, that would be a pain.
So is a hornbook, then a long supplement and then a short condensed one the way to go?

UF2015
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby UF2015 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Not every supplement is created equal. You should do your research before purchasing a particular supplement by a particular author.


For example, the Civil Procedure E&E is fantastic. The Contracts E&E is garbage.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:I just looked at the supplement section at the library today. And it is pretty good. Each topic has like 3-5 hornbooks and all the supplements where there. Any reason why no one is using those and still buying their own?


If you're asking about the reserves section behind the library desk, we can only check those out for two hours at a time so that's why they are all there. Plenty of people use them.

Dam guess I have to buy them, that would be a pain.
So is a hornbook, then a long supplement and then a short condensed one the way to go?


I never had an issue finding a supplement when I needed one. Don't spend a dime.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:09 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:I just looked at the supplement section at the library today. And it is pretty good. Each topic has like 3-5 hornbooks and all the supplements where there. Any reason why no one is using those and still buying their own?


If you're asking about the reserves section behind the library desk, we can only check those out for two hours at a time so that's why they are all there. Plenty of people use them.

Dam guess I have to buy them, that would be a pain.
So is a hornbook, then a long supplement and then a short condensed one the way to go?


I never had an issue finding a supplement when I needed one. Don't spend a dime.


^^Truth. If you absolutely must buy a supplement (because you do that super weird multi-colored highlighter thing), then wait until you get to class the first day. Often, the professor will recommend a certain supplement or will reserve a certain supplement in the library. I got through property with just the short and happy guide to property, and the Estates and Trusts E&E was the only reason I passed the class. Ask 2Ls and 3Ls who have had the prof too. They can tell you what worked.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Decisions, decisions. If I could base my decision on school mascot and athletics alone UF would be the clear winner. Unfortunately, there are other mitigating factors for me. Not looking good on this one.

Edit: Submitted the withdrawal. Good luck, guys. May my seat go to somebody awesome!

grantev
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby grantev » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Withdrew today with $$$! Loved the school but decided I want to move out west. Good luck to those who are waitlisted!

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm

grantev wrote:Withdrew today with $$$! Loved the school but decided I want to move out west. Good luck to those who are waitlisted!


Where are you headed?

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Just officially withdrew with $. GL guys

User avatar
eas09d
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:52 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eas09d » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:55 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Just officially withdrew with $. GL guys


Good luck! Where are you headed?

PS does anyone know if they are 100% reallocating the scholarship money from students who withdrew today/within the last week? I was told that they would be allocating through 4/15, but if there's new money to give out, I can't imagine they wouldn't spread it around. Thoughts?

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby slawww » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

eas09d wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Just officially withdrew with $. GL guys


Good luck! Where are you headed?

PS does anyone know if they are 100% reallocating the scholarship money from students who withdrew today/within the last week? I was told that they would be allocating through 4/15, but if there's new money to give out, I can't imagine they wouldn't spread it around. Thoughts?


Also curious. Hopefully they haven't yet and will do soon!

Gotallanswers
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Gotallanswers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 pm

They changed the status on the status checker again

jenilyn
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jenilyn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 pm

So, did you guys see the February bar passage results? UF only had 72.7% pass rate - 9th out of 11 law schools!

#1 FSU 96%
#2 Stetson 93.9%
#3 Barry 92.7%
#4 FIU 91.7%
#5 Miami 86.4%
#6 FAMU 82.6%
#7 Coastal 79.3%
#8 Nova 74.5%
#9 UF 72.7%
#10 St. Thomas 64.8%
#11 Ave 50%

A rethink may be in order on where to go.....

gameface
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gameface » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm

jenilyn wrote:So, did you guys see the February bar passage results? UF only had 72.7% pass rate - 9th out of 11 law schools!

#1 FSU 96%
#2 Stetson 93.9%
#3 Barry 92.7%
#4 FIU 91.7%
#5 Miami 86.4%
#6 FAMU 82.6%
#7 Coastal 79.3%
#8 Nova 74.5%
#9 UF 72.7%
#10 St. Thomas 64.8%
#11 Ave 50%

A rethink may be in order on where to go.....


Yes. Doesn't make very much sense, does it?

User avatar
eas09d
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:52 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eas09d » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:14 pm

gameface wrote:
jenilyn wrote:So, did you guys see the February bar passage results? UF only had 72.7% pass rate - 9th out of 11 law schools!

#1 FSU 96%
#2 Stetson 93.9%
#3 Barry 92.7%
#4 FIU 91.7%
#5 Miami 86.4%
#6 FAMU 82.6%
#7 Coastal 79.3%
#8 Nova 74.5%
#9 UF 72.7%
#10 St. Thomas 64.8%
#11 Ave 50%

A rethink may be in order on where to go.....


Yes. Doesn't make very much sense, does it?


UF Law posted about it on their fb page; there were only 22 students who took it and 16 passed. Very small sample size. No idea what other school's were, but here's what their post said:

Sixteen of the just 22 UF Law graduates who took the February Florida Bar exam passed. The small number of test takers had little impact on UF Law’s bar passage rate for the year, which at 89.9 percent ties with one other law school as the highest in Florida. Dean Robert Jerry said he is proud of UF Law’s annual performance and points out February’s small sample sizes can be misleading. He noted UF Law is consistently among the top schools in the state when the handful of UF Law February results are combined for an annual average with the hundreds of UF Law July test takers. (For more, see the Dean’s Message at http://Error.com/bmtjtfz.)

gator32
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gator32 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm

jenilyn wrote:So, did you guys see the February bar passage results? UF only had 72.7% pass rate - 9th out of 11 law schools!

#1 FSU 96%
#2 Stetson 93.9%
#3 Barry 92.7%
#4 FIU 91.7%
#5 Miami 86.4%
#6 FAMU 82.6%
#7 Coastal 79.3%
#8 Nova 74.5%
#9 UF 72.7%
#10 St. Thomas 64.8%
#11 Ave 50%

A rethink may be in order on where to go.....



With regards to this, you need to know how many people from each school were taking the exam, the caliber of these students, the preparation they put in, etc.

If you truly believe that going to a school like Stetson, Barry, FIU, FAMU, Coastal, or Nova is better than UF I don't know what to tell you (I can see the cases somewhat for Stetson and FIU if we are including scholarships). I think FAMU is even in trouble of losing its accreditation.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 pm

gameface wrote:
jenilyn wrote:So, did you guys see the February bar passage results? UF only had 72.7% pass rate - 9th out of 11 law schools!

#1 FSU 96%
#2 Stetson 93.9%
#3 Barry 92.7%
#4 FIU 91.7%
#5 Miami 86.4%
#6 FAMU 82.6%
#7 Coastal 79.3%
#8 Nova 74.5%
#9 UF 72.7%
#10 St. Thomas 64.8%
#11 Ave 50%

A rethink may be in order on where to go.....


Yes. Doesn't make very much sense, does it?


Small sample size theater.

flaw2016
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby flaw2016 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am

Paid my deposit, can not for August to roll around 8)

JBCIV
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JBCIV » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 am

flaw2016 wrote:Paid my deposit, can not for August to roll around 8)


+1 "can not wait"

flaw2016
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby flaw2016 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am

JBCIV wrote:
flaw2016 wrote:Paid my deposit, can not for August to roll around 8)


+1 "can not wait"


Lol. Cannot, rather :)

gator32
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gator32 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Trying to decide between living in a house near the law school or getting my own place at the continuum. Would be nice to live near the school and have some other people around, but on the flip side the continuum is near the bars and stuff, I wouldn't need to buy anything for it, and one can sign a 10 month lease which is perfect. This is a tougher choice than I thought.

flaw2016
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby flaw2016 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm

gator32 wrote:Trying to decide between living in a house near the law school or getting my own place at the continuum. Would be nice to live near the school and have some other people around, but on the flip side the continuum is near the bars and stuff, I wouldn't need to buy anything for it, and one can sign a 10 month lease which is perfect. This is a tougher choice than I thought.


I was also having the same dilemma on where to live, and the Continuum was one of my top choices. I'm going to live by myself for 1L (I had a horrible random roommate in undergrad and I don't wan't to take that chance for the most important year of law school). I'm going to be living at the Estates, which is fully furnished, etc. like the Continuum. I did the math and, even though you can sign a 10-month lease at the Continuum, with the high price for a 1br/studio, you only save a very negligible amount of money compared to a 12 month lease at a place with a lower monthly rate. I also found the Continuum to be way too small; they were very nice inside, though.

Gotallanswers
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Gotallanswers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:48 pm

The estates is full of undergrad's, it personally does not bother me since I'm going to be living with undergrads next year but if you want to avoid them then the estates is not a good place. They also have lots of pool parties and I heard the mangement is all kids but there are always fresh cookies I heard. Also the continuum is far from campus you can't ride a bike easily it is a decent distance, need to take a Bus or something. Also the estates is far too so your have to take a bus or drive. Also Gainesville traffic sucks during the week and driving in campus sucks its a campus wide 20 mph speed limit. Also the bus system is not as reliable as you think the phone app sucks, it is random. Also the busses will just drive by you if they are full. I recommend if you can, live as close to these school as possible.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malysh, zeglo and 6 guests