UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scottyc66

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby scottyc66 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

If anything, UF seems to be one of the only schools who like reverse-splitters better than splitters so if your GPA is up there then you've got a better chance.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Updated to NDR today -__- 160 3.3 most likely going to get dinged but it was a free app

Gator_Law

Postby Gator_Law » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:Updated to NDR today -__- 160 3.3 most likely going to get dinged but it was a free app

A lot of people got in with similar numbers last year. Might get waitlisted though.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:Updated to NDR today -__- 160 3.3 most likely going to get dinged but it was a free app

Good luck. Also NDR with a 162 & lower GPA & URM.

Hopefully we hear some good news soon. As a second-time law school applicant, I can't take this waiting anymore!

sofl_law

Postby sofl_law » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Admitted!

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

I was in the No decision reached pile for about a week I think.

LowLSATSadFace

Postby LowLSATSadFace » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
LowLSATSadFace wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys. Much needed every once and a while. Still weighing my options with Stetson and stuff... so expensive.... but we'll see..... THANKS!!!! Most probably going to try to take the LSAT again next semester.

I just thought I'd throw my $.02; no matter where you go, a good bump in LSAT could earn you tens of thousands in scholly money. Combine that with saving for a year and you could be setting yourself up for a much more manageable debt-load after graduation.

Of course, this is simply food for though. I'm sure you are anxious to get into law school and be an attorney already, as am I. :)

Ya... a lot to think about. Thanks :)

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 am

sofl_law wrote:Admitted!

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

Congrats! Hope to join you soon!

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 am

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

When did you find out? I have very similar numbers and I've been NDR since 11/19.

sofl_law

Postby sofl_law » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:27 am

eas09d wrote:

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

When did you find out? I have very similar numbers and I've been NDR since 11/19.

It was mailed out on the 21st. I live in Gainesville though so I assume I got it the next day but I didn't check the mail until the 25th.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 pm

sofl_law wrote:
eas09d wrote:

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

It was mailed out on the 21st. I live in Gainesville though so I assume I got it the next day but I didn't check the mail until the 25th.

Even though my app just went under initial review yesterday. I have checked my mailbox everyday this week. And I never check it.

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
sofl_law wrote:
eas09d wrote:

158 LSAT =/ 3.99 GPA URM
UF Grad this Fall 2012

Even though my app just went under initial review yesterday. I have checked my mailbox everyday this week. And I never check it.

I wouldn't start checking the mail until your status changes to Decision Rendered.

I've been NDR for 2 days and this sucks already, especially since I sit in front of a computer from 9-5.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

[/quote]

I wouldn't start checking the mail until your status changes to Decision Rendered.

I've been NDR for 2 days and this sucks already, especially since I sit in front of a computer from 9-5.[/quote]

What are your stats and did you go to UF for undergrad?

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:

I've been NDR for 2 days and this sucks already, especially since I sit in front of a computer from 9-5.[/quote]

What are your stats and did you go to UF for undergrad?[/quote]

162, low gpa (huge upward trend), URM, not a UF alum.

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey guys:

I'm a 2012 graduate of Levin, and now am practicing law. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm

FLGrad wrote:Hey guys:

I'm a 2012 graduate of Levin, and now am practicing law. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

What was your class rank? Where are you working (location)? What type of firm?

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

What was your class rank? Where are you working (location)? What type of firm?

Class rank: median

Type of firm: Small firm/ Business law firm.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Did you have WE before law school? What would you recommend for someone with a heavy PI background that wants to go into business/energy law?

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for taking questions!

How difficult was it to get employment as a Levin grad? How much debt would you consider to be "too much" for Levin to be a safe investment?

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Jredelman15 wrote:Did you have WE before law school? What would you recommend for someone with a heavy PI background that wants to go into business/energy law?

I went to LS right after undergrad. However, I did have a couple of jobs while in undergrad. My work experience wasn't much help in law school, but I believe it gave me an advantage when I applied to summer jobs and to when I started applying to attorney positions after graduating from law school.

I don't have a PI background, so I really can't help you much there.

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am

seancris wrote:

How difficult was it to get employment as a Levin grad? How much debt would you consider to be "too much" for Levin to be a safe investment?

Some people had jobs lined up from their 2L summer job, and the rest started looking for jobs after law school. I started looking for a job after taking the bar, and was employed within 1 1/2 months. Most of my friends are employed, but I'm sure that there are some still looking for jobs.

I really don't know what amount of $$ would be too much for Levin. I received a couple of scholarships, so my debt was less than most other students. If you want to stay in FL after graduating, UF is your best choice. It's one of the cheapest law schools in the state, and if you plan on staying in FL... for the price, what other law school are you going to attend instead?

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Does UF typically leaving the status "under initial review" before the weekend? Or can it stay that way for a long time?
Last edited by Gotallanswers on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

FLGrad wrote:
seancris wrote:

Some people had jobs lined up from their 2L summer job, and the rest started looking for jobs after law school. I started looking for a job after taking the bar, and was employed within 1 1/2 months. Most of my friends are employed, but I'm sure that there are some still looking for jobs.

I really don't know what amount of $$ would be too much for Levin. I received a couple of scholarships, so my debt was less than most other students. If you want to stay in FL after graduating, UF is your best choice. It's one of the cheapest law schools in the state, and if you plan on staying in FL... for the price, what other law school are you going to attend instead?

There has to be a price not making UF a good investment. That answer + the brand new account kinda makes me wonder if this is UF Law School trolling TLS.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:37 pm

FLGrad wrote:Some people had jobs lined up from their 2L summer job, and the rest started looking for jobs after law school. I started looking for a job after taking the bar, and was employed within 1 1/2 months. Most of my friends are employed, but I'm sure that there are some still looking for jobs.

Your experience with UF's employment prospects is reassuring, so thanks for that input.

As far as where else we might go instead, there are plenty of other law schools that are cheaper for auto-admit applicants and provide equal to better chances of employment in Florida. FSU is cheaper, gives better scholarships, and has a significantly higher percentage of employed grads in full-time, JD required positions. Stetson has an equal percentage of fully employed grads and gives full-rides to UF's auto-admit applicants. Even FIU provides the same employment prospects for new grads, and the tuition is half as much as UF. (Source: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=fl)

It might've been true that UF was the "clear choice" in Florida a few years ago, but after the last 6+ years of annual 15% tuition hikes and the current employment numbers I have to question whether or not it remains so.

Not bad-mouthing UF by any means. I'm a UF alum. Just questioning whether or not it's really the great deal that it's often made out to be, given the other options.

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:00 am

slawww wrote:
FLGrad wrote:
seancris wrote:

There has to be a price not making UF a good investment. That answer + the brand new account kinda makes me wonder if this is UF Law School trolling TLS.

I created the new account because I didn't want anyone tracing back my GPA/LSAT numbers.... or to read my old posts from when I was applying to law school in 2009.

My point was that UF is one of the cheapest law schools in FL and the best one in the state. If you think that UF may be a bit too expensive to make it worth attending, then I assume that you must feel the same about the rest of the law schools in the state. If your goal is attending an instate school, UF will generally be one of your cheapest options (I think FIU and maybe FSU may be slightly cheaper).

I don't appreciate being called a troll. I'm sure that I can find other things to do with my spare time than to come here and try to help you guys out.

FLGrad

Postby FLGrad » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am

seancris wrote:
FLGrad wrote:Some people had jobs lined up from their 2L summer job, and the rest started looking for jobs after law school. I started looking for a job after taking the bar, and was employed within 1 1/2 months. Most of my friends are employed, but I'm sure that there are some still looking for jobs.

Your experience with UF's employment prospects is reassuring, so thanks for that input.

As far as where else we might go instead, there are plenty of other law schools that are cheaper for auto-admit applicants and provide equal to better chances of employment in Florida. FSU is cheaper, gives better scholarships, and has a significantly higher percentage of employed grads in full-time, JD required positions. Stetson has an equal percentage of fully employed grads and gives full-rides to UF's auto-admit applicants. Even FIU provides the same employment prospects for new grads, and the tuition is half as much as UF. (Source: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=fl)

It might've been true that UF was the "clear choice" in Florida a few years ago, but after the last 6+ years of annual 15% tuition hikes and the current employment numbers I have to question whether or not it remains so.

Not bad-mouthing UF by any means. I'm a UF alum. Just questioning whether or not it's really the great deal that it's often made out to be, given the other options.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I haven't been following law school tuition for schools other than UF since I started law school, and I guess I still assumed that UF was relatively cheap compared to the other instate schools.

With that said- I will say that I believe that my degree from UF was an advantage when looking for a job. I had a couple of interviewers mention that the fact that I went to UF was a big deal. I don't know if that makes it worth to attend UF over FSU, since I have no idea how they may have viewed an FSU grad.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I received some scholarship money when I attended UF. For that reason, UF was a very clear choice for me, and I didn't have to engage in a serious cost/benefit analysis of whether to attend UF or another school. Sorry I can't be of much help. :/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”