UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotallanswers

Bronze

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:49 pm

slawww wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:May 15th. I am still hoping I get a scholly. Bright futures and prepaid only will cover about $6,500, of the about 21K.
Also what's ASD if I know I'm going to uf is it worth going to even though I am currently attending UF, so I'll be in Gainesville either way.
I don't believe Bright Futures covers grad school. I'd love to be wrong, because I'd love to use Bright futures again, but I'm pretty sure it does not.
I haven't used all of the 120 credits yet, so I think like 60ish credits or so will be carrying over and the same with prepaid until I hit the maximum allowed. So 3rd year is gonna be expensive.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
slawww wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:May 15th. I am still hoping I get a scholly. Bright futures and prepaid only will cover about $6,500, of the about 21K.
Also what's ASD if I know I'm going to uf is it worth going to even though I am currently attending UF, so I'll be in Gainesville either way.
I don't believe Bright Futures covers grad school. I'd love to be wrong, because I'd love to use Bright futures again, but I'm pretty sure it does not.
I haven't used all of the 120 credits yet, so I think like 60ish credits or so will be carrying over and the same with prepaid until I hit the maximum allowed. So 3rd year is gonna be expensive.
Do you have a source for that? I also have not used up all 120 credits, and I'd love to use the remaining for law school. I don't know how that would work, though, since a credit in undergrad is so much cheaper than a credit in law school.

Edit: found one: --LinkRemoved--

This won't apply to me since I completed college in longer than 5 years after high school.
Last edited by slawww on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm

slawww wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:
slawww wrote:
Do you have a source for that? I also have not used up all 120 credits, and I'd love to use the remaining for law school. I don't know how that would work, though, since a credit in undergrad is so much cheaper than a credit in law school.

I think it's 15% of the law school cost it covers. They don't cover the full amount, due to the highly inflated cost of law school compared to undergrad. The source is my dad called UF law school and asked them.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Gotallanswers wrote: I think it's 15% of the law school cost it covers. They don't cover the full amount, due to the highly inflated cost of law school compared to undergrad. The source is my dad called UF law school and asked them.
Did you graduate before 5 years after high school has passed? Looks like it won't work for me :(

Are graduate students eligible for state-funded financial aid programs?

Most state-funded financial aid programs are only available for undergraduate students. The José Martí Scholarship Challenge Grant Fund is available to graduate students who meet program eligibility requirements; however, undergraduates receive priority funding.

Bright Futures Scholarship recipients who graduate with a baccalaureate degree, in the 2010-11 academic year or after, in seven or fewer semesters (or the equivalent in credit hours) and wish to pursue graduate study may apply the unused portion of their FAS or FMS awards toward one semester of graduate study, not to exceed 15 semester hours paid at the undergraduate rate.
Students should meet with their financial aid officers for funding details.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm under the 5 year limit, and I've only used bright futures for 4 semesters so far. So maybe it's only one semester I hope not. But that should ease the burden of 1L financially a tad bit. I am hoping that if I do not get a scholly now that I can get one after 1L.

Edit: I also have a good amount of florida prepaid that I think still applies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gator32

New

Post by gator32 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:I'm under the 5 year limit, and I've only used bright futures for 4 semesters so far. So maybe it's only one semester I hope not. But that should ease the burden of 1L financially a tad bit. I am hoping that if I do not get a scholly now that I can get one after 1L.

Prepaid still applies but only at the undergraduate rate. I am not 100% sure of this but pretty positive.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm

gator32 wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:I'm under the 5 year limit, and I've only used bright futures for 4 semesters so far. So maybe it's only one semester I hope not. But that should ease the burden of 1L financially a tad bit. I am hoping that if I do not get a scholly now that I can get one after 1L.

Prepaid still applies but only at the undergraduate rate. I am not 100% sure of this but pretty positive.
Law courses for florida resident 714 a credit hour. For undergraduate is 204. Quite a big gap. :-(

Edit: the undergrad fee dropped to 160 after I put in the contract year of my prepaid. Dam
Also we pay $31.52 for each credit we take to go towards student financial aid, that comes out to over $1,000 a year. I need financial aid to pay for financial aid lol.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Gotallanswers wrote: Law courses for florida resident 714 a credit hour. For undergraduate is 204. Quite a big gap. :-(

Edit: the undergrad fee dropped to 160 after I put in the contract year of my prepaid. Dam
Also we pay $31.52 for each credit we take to go towards student financial aid, that comes out to over $1,000 a year. I need financial aid to pay for financial aid lol.
Yeah, it definitely blows.
Also, I wonder if they're done giving out scholarship money. The website says $$ is given out through mid April.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm

slawww wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote: Law courses for florida resident 714 a credit hour. For undergraduate is 204. Quite a big gap. :-(

Yeah, it definitely blows.
Also, I wonder if they're done giving out scholarship money. The website says $$ is given out through mid April.
Yea I'm hoping they are. I would find this week if they are. I'm just they have out more money already than they had, projecting not everyone enrolls, but I'm trying to stay hopefully.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aklam19

New

Post by aklam19 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 pm

did anyone from the Friday FDR:NI group get anything in the mail today?

par14

New

Post by par14 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:18 pm

I haven't.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Did anyone get an email about a 1,500 graduate grant for the fall/spring coming year. I am trying to figure out if its for the law school. The email directed you to isis

ksouthshore

New

Post by ksouthshore » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 pm

aklam19 wrote:did anyone from the Friday FDR:NI group get anything in the mail today?
I didnt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:Did anyone get an email about a 1,500 graduate grant for the fall/spring coming year. I am trying to figure out if its for the law school. The email directed you to isis
I did not. Also, has anyone gotten their financial aid info yet?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I did not get a 1500 grant.

For you current UF students, how do you find the overall feelings of life satisfaction and contentment amongst your fellow students (and yourself)? I read a post a while ago from someone who visited and thought students seemed unhappy. I visited last weekend and, although I only talked to a couple of people, the ones I talked to didn't seem to high on life either. Was this just standard law school stress, or is there an overall air of doom and gloom at the LS?

Fwiw, most everyone else I spoke with seemed pleasant and the city had a lot of energy with everyone in town for the Orange and Blue game. Of course, the students on here are great and a big help also. :)

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:I did not get a 1500 grant.

For you current UF students, how do you find the overall feelings of life satisfaction and contentment amongst your fellow students (and yourself)? I read a post a while ago from someone who visited and thought students seemed unhappy. I visited last weekend and, although I only talked to a couple of people, the ones I talked to didn't seem to high on life either. Was this just standard law school stress, or is there an overall air of doom and gloom at the LS?

Fwiw, most everyone else I spoke with seemed pleasant and the city had a lot of energy with everyone in town for the Orange and Blue game. Of course, the students on here are great and a big help also. :)
Law school sucks, and you visited around finals. First three months of each semester are a damn good time.

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:I did not get a 1500 grant.

When I was in UG, I had a few friends who were starting law school and they really didn't seem overwhelmed, except during finals of course. Despite being a small city, Gainesville has plenty of stuff to do and if you're willing to drive there are beaches, disney, and springs all within about two hours.

Also, game day in Gainesville is magical. Even if you're not a huge football fan, you will have fun!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
slawww wrote:
ok so here is my deal:

I got the FAS and I will be finishing college in 6 semesters total and bright futures only funded me for 102 credits during undergrad (other credits came from dual enrollment)
does this mean that I might be funded for my first semester of grad school?
Last edited by itachiuchiha on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 pm

^yea I read a little bit on it today and I don't think so either. Lol

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:^yea I read a little bit on it today and I don't think so either. Lol
I dont think its impossible after reading more into it
this is quoted from the university of miami's law page, I think UF might work similarly
the only strange this is the part I bolded

State Aid - Florida Bright Futures – Eligibility for Graduate Study

Florida Academic Scholars (FAS) or Florida Medallion Scholars (FMS)

FAS and FMS recipients who graduate with a baccalaureate degree earned in the 2010-11 academic year or thereafter, in seven or fewer semesters, or the equivalent, may receive funding for ONE semester of graduate study, not to exceed 15 credit hours paid at the undergraduate rate. Additional Information is available on the Florida Bright Futures page of the Florida Student Scholarship & Grant Programs website.

The State of Florida will notify the university of your eligibility. The University's Office of Financial Assistance Services will notify the School of Law Office of Financial Aid, if a student has eligibility for a FAS or FMS award. The award will be part of your financial aid award offer. This will reduce federal loan eligibility, which will assist in decreasing future loan debt.

GoGators2016

New

Post by GoGators2016 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Ello, not sure if it was already addressed, but I just checked my status and it went from "No decision reached" to "Admit Notice Issued"-- is this WL or Acceptance? How long does it take to obtain the letter?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 am

itachiuchiha wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:^yea I read a little bit on it today and I don't think so either. Lol
I dont think its impossible after reading more into it
this is quoted from the university of miami's law page, I think UF might work similarly
the only strange this is the part I bolded

State Aid - Florida Bright Futures – Eligibility for Graduate Study

Florida Academic Scholars (FAS) or Florida Medallion Scholars (FMS)

FAS and FMS recipients who graduate with a baccalaureate degree earned in the 2010-11 academic year or thereafter, in seven or fewer semesters, or the equivalent, may receive funding for ONE semester of graduate study, not to exceed 15 credit hours paid at the undergraduate rate. Additional Information is available on the Florida Bright Futures page of the Florida Student Scholarship & Grant Programs website.

The State of Florida will notify the university of your eligibility. The University's Office of Financial Assistance Services will notify the School of Law Office of Financial Aid, if a student has eligibility for a FAS or FMS award. The award will be part of your financial aid award offer. This will reduce federal loan eligibility, which will assist in decreasing future loan debt.
Yeah, if you meet the criteria, you can get 15 credit hours worth of funding at the undergraduate rate, which comes out to like a couple grand. Pretty stingy, but it's better than nothing.

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 am

GoGators2016 wrote:Ello, not sure if it was already addressed, but I just checked my status and it went from "No decision reached" to "Admit Notice Issued"-- is this WL or Acceptance? How long does it take to obtain the letter?
Someone posted that they called admissions and their response was "That is an acceptance." Mine just says notice issued, hoping it's also an acceptance however :D.

Cheers,

EG

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:51 am

Yea it comes out to like $1,500 for me, it's like 15%, I only used about 60ish of the bright future credits so I'm getting royally screwed over by it, since it is only allowing me to use 75 instead of the 120 I should be able to use

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 am

Gotallanswers wrote:Yea it comes out to like $1,500 for me, it's like 15%, I only used about 60ish of the bright future credits so I'm getting royally screwed over by it, since it is only allowing me to use 75 instead of the 120 I should be able to use
Look on the bright side, at least you got bright futures during undergrad. Because I'd been out of school so long before I went back, I had to pay for it all while holding a 4.0 99% of the time :(.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”