UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EG12

New

Re: UF Class of 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by EG12 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Hopefully some of us still on NDR will hear from the committee Monday. As long as most say it takes to get the packet in the mail, any later than Monday and we may miss admitted students day even if we are admitted. Good luck all and congrats again to those already admitted.

EG

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:00 am

EG12 wrote:Hopefully some of us still on NDR will hear from the committee Monday. As long as most say it takes to get the packet in the mail, any later than Monday and we may miss admitted students day even if we are admitted. Good luck all and congrats again to those already admitted.

EG
Hope you see movement Monday!

To any current UF students: what's your opinion of the Continuum? Are they as nice as the pictures online? Is the environment conducive to studying? It seems like a pretty decent deal, considering it's completely furnished and everything is included. I did not see a price for a 1 bedroom, but I think someone said 860/month?

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:05 am

slawww wrote:
EG12 wrote:Hopefully some of us still on NDR will hear from the committee Monday. As long as most say it takes to get the packet in the mail, any later than Monday and we may miss admitted students day even if we are admitted. Good luck all and congrats again to those already admitted.

EG
Hope you see movement Monday!

To any current UF students: what's your opinion of the Continuum? Are they as nice as the pictures online? Is the environment conducive to studying? It seems like a pretty decent deal, considering it's completely furnished and everything is included. I did not see a price for a 1 bedroom, but I think someone said 860/month?
Thanks! I have heard both good and bad from there. If you are attending admitted students day or just going for a visit, they will let you stay there for free. I'm sure it's just one night, but it may give you a better idea of what it's like.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info, EG!

So I was looking at the schedule for the ASD, and it looks like its from 10:30-5:30, that's a pretty full day!

Edit: I also created a class of 2016 thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=206583

Is there a FB group yet?

gameface

New

Post by gameface » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Registered for admitted students day 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 pm

slawww wrote:Thanks for the info, EG!

So I was looking at the schedule for the ASD, and it looks like its from 10:30-5:30, that's a pretty full day!

Edit: I also created a class of 2016 thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=206583

Is there a FB group yet?
I haven't seen a FB group yet, and I don't think the school ever notified us of one. Looking forward to attending ASD as well and meeting some future classmates.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Just got my acceptance package from them yesterday -- honestly, super unimpressed by the presentation. Half of the papers were stacked upside down and backwards in the packet. The acceptance letter -- the part with "Congrats - you're in" was upside down and backwards about 4 pieces of paper inside the envelope. There was no folder or anything like that, just two Fin Aid books and a bunch of disorganized papers. I couldn't even get excited about it.

I guess my concern would be: Why would I trust you with my professional education if your adcom doesn't show professionalism and attention to detail?

Good luck to everyone who wants to go here and is still waiting. I'm going to withdrawl.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

GWarren wrote:Just got my acceptance package from them yesterday -- honestly, super unimpressed by the presentation. Half of the papers were stacked upside down and backwards in the packet. The acceptance letter -- the part with "Congrats - you're in" was upside down and backwards about 4 pieces of paper inside the envelope. There was no folder or anything like that, just two Fin Aid books and a bunch of disorganized papers. I couldn't even get excited about it.

I guess my concern would be: Why would I trust you with my professional education if your adcom doesn't show professionalism and attention to detail?

Good luck to everyone who wants to go here and is still waiting. I'm going to withdrawl.
lol

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
GWarren wrote:Just got my acceptance package from them yesterday -- honestly, super unimpressed by the presentation. Half of the papers were stacked upside down and backwards in the packet. The acceptance letter -- the part with "Congrats - you're in" was upside down and backwards about 4 pieces of paper inside the envelope. There was no folder or anything like that, just two Fin Aid books and a bunch of disorganized papers. I couldn't even get excited about it.

lol
You think I am being silly, I guess? I mean, realistically people are applying to lots of schools. The acceptance package should be the school's first foray into trying to woo you to pick them, since they decided they want you. All I am saying is they do a very poor job. I feel that is a valid criticism and not nit-picky. The package I got from Emory was spiral bound -- the acceptance letter which was the first thing I saw in the front folder pocket had a hand written note from the dean. Its touches like those that make the difference imho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 pm

GWarren wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

lol
You think I am being silly, I guess? I mean, realistically people are applying to lots of schools. The acceptance package should be the school's first foray into trying to woo you to pick them, since they decided they want you. All I am saying is they do a very poor job. I feel that is a valid criticism and not nit-picky. The package I got from Emory was spiral bound -- the acceptance letter which was the first thing I saw in the front folder pocket had a hand written note from the dean. Its touches like those that make the difference imho.
Presentation of acceptance letters closely follows bathroom quality and lawn maintenance with respect to how it affects your decision.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
GWarren wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

lol
Presentation of acceptance letters closely follows bathroom quality and lawn maintenance with respect to how it affects your decision.
I disagree, especially when you're dealing with schools around the same tier. Little things change people's perceptions and desires. Advertising works, its why companies spend billions on it. But no need to continue a pointless argument -- just my opinion. I haven't heard back from FSU, perhaps theirs will be the same.

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm

UF can write my scholarship letter with human feces for all I care. As the consumer you have every right to be upset and choose not to pick UF, but if you pick any product based on the labeling instead of the content then you deserve what you get. It may be a better choice, it may be a worse choice, but it certainly isn't an educated choice.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:UF can write my scholarship letter with human feces for all I care. As the consumer you have every right to be upset and choose not to pick UF, but if you pick any product based on the labeling instead of the content then you deserve what you get. It may be a better choice, it may be a worse choice, but it certainly isn't an educated choice.
That is partially my point, they do not even provide any materials about the school in the packet. Its a medical immunization record form, some stuff on Fin Aid, and a disorganized mess.

I would have expected a "Welcome to University of Florida, here's some pictures of the the school and details info on our programs and why you should choose us over other, similar ranked, options."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Well I wish I was able to join in on this argument. :-( NDR...

Edit: I just checked my status checker and it was updated today to NDR and then it listed today. Did anyone else get this?
Last edited by Gotallanswers on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:20 pm

GWarren wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:UF can write my scholarship letter with human feces for all I care. As the consumer you have every right to be upset and choose not to pick UF, but if you pick any product based on the labeling instead of the content then you deserve what you get. It may be a better choice, it may be a worse choice, but it certainly isn't an educated choice.
That is partially my point, they do not even provide any materials about the school in the packet. Its a medical immunization record form, some stuff on Fin Aid, and a disorganized mess.

I would have expected a "Welcome to University of Florida, here's some pictures of the the school and details info on our programs and why you should choose us over other, similar ranked, options."
Or they recognize the ones who give a shit about that and can't do the research themselves probably aren't worth trying for anyways.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:23 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
GWarren wrote:

Or they recognize the ones who give a shit about that and can't do the research themselves probably aren't worth trying for anyways.
LOL. Okay. Well, best of luck. Just giving an opinion. Good luck to everyone! I know it is a good school. :)

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
GWarren wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

lol
You haven't lived until you've taken a dump in the 2nd floor advocacy center bathroom. Pinnacle of luxury.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Gwarren-

I was also disappointed with UF's admit packet. Especially after Wake's well put together package, but it is by no means a deal breaker, nor is it really that big of a deal. I wish the package would've been nicer, but it has no effect on my decision to attend.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 pm

slawww wrote:Gwarren-

I was also disappointed with UF's admit packet. Especially after Wake's well put together package, but it is by no means a deal breaker, nor is it really that big of a deal. I wish the package would've been nicer, but it has no effect on my decision to attend.
FSU spelled it "Univeritsy" on my offer.

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

nebula666 wrote:
You haven't lived until you've taken a dump in the 2nd floor advocacy center bathroom. Pinnacle of luxury.

Duly noted for next year.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 pm

1693 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:

Duly noted for next year.
First floor is damn solid too. Library ones are usually awful around exam time cause all the law and UG students are taking adderall-induced shits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EG12

New

Post by EG12 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 pm

My best friend is a 3L at Emory. The only advice he gave me when I was applying was simply, don't. Unless you get an insane scholly, it's not worth the debt you will incur. on average you are looking at walking away from Emory at minimum at 120-150k debt at 6.8% unsubsidized interest. And the jobs you are offered will not differ from those you would get being a GSU, UGA, or UF applicant. It's all about what you want though, and there are plenty of people in this thread that could receive an admission on construction paper and be happy. Regardless of how their packet looks, UF has over 100 years of solid rep as a great school.

Good luck wherever you choose.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:37 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
slawww wrote:Gwarren-

FSU spelled it "Univeritsy" on my offer.
Given that as applicants to Law School we tend to be analyzed over every minute detail of what is submitted, this would irk the hell out of me. Haha. I haven't heard back from FSU, but when I do I will most certainly proofread it now.

GWarren

New

Post by GWarren » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:41 pm

EG12 wrote:My best friend is a 3L at Emory. The only advice he gave me when I was applying was simply, don't. Unless you get an insane scholly, it's not worth the debt you will incur. on average you are looking at walking away from Emory at minimum at 120-150k debt at 6.8% unsubsidized interest. And the jobs you are offered will not differ from those you would get being a GSU, UGA, or UF applicant. It's all about what you want though, and there are plenty of people in this thread that could receive an admission on construction paper and be happy. Regardless of how their packet looks, UF has over 100 years of solid rep as a great school.

Good luck wherever you choose.
I got a decent scholarship, about 2/3rds paid. I am still waiting on 15 schools decisions, but thus far Emory is looking like my best bet.

UF is a solid school, especially if you plan to stay in FL -- I applied there to have the option to stay in FL and do law school on the cheap if needed. Nothing is ruled out yet, but the disorganization was a huge turn off, and I'm not even a type a personality.

Gotallanswers

Bronze

Post by Gotallanswers » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Did anyone else have a status change today. And for those who got admitted did you have a status date update on Friday then receive a decision on Monday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”