Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:Just withdrew my application, hope someone else gets my monie$$$ to go to Minnesota, really loved the school but it didn't make much financial sense to go considering some of my other offers and, you know, the cold.

Good luck where ever you end up!

User avatar
reyals
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby reyals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 am

Well that was perhaps the most successful admitted students weekend possible.

Cheers to those that attended.

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 am

reyals wrote:Well that was perhaps the most successful admitted students weekend possible.

Cheers to those that attended.


Can you guys that attended give any more specific information about job numbers and stuff? I had an ASW at Texas last weekend and they broke down the new numbers regarding firm placement, clerkships, medians for salary, etc. Wondering where MN sits on that scale.

User avatar
reyals
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby reyals » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

romanticegotist wrote:
reyals wrote:Well that was perhaps the most successful admitted students weekend possible.

Cheers to those that attended.


Can you guys that attended give any more specific information about job numbers and stuff? I had an ASW at Texas last weekend and they broke down the new numbers regarding firm placement, clerkships, medians for salary, etc. Wondering where MN sits on that scale.


MN hasn't processed the new numbers yet from what I could tell, but the ABA has the 2012 stats up if you want to look at them. We were presented with 2011 stats which had the salary median at 110k for the private sector. Law School Transparency has them with a score 66%. I believe I posted that around 155 of the 230 class had full-time legal jobs. They really stressed networking at the weekend.

Of course, you can check out LST for all the specific info you're looking for.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 am

reyals wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
reyals wrote:Well that was perhaps the most successful admitted students weekend possible.

Cheers to those that attended.


Can you guys that attended give any more specific information about job numbers and stuff? I had an ASW at Texas last weekend and they broke down the new numbers regarding firm placement, clerkships, medians for salary, etc. Wondering where MN sits on that scale.


MN hasn't processed the new numbers yet from what I could tell, but the ABA has the 2012 stats up if you want to look at them. We were presented with 2011 stats which had the salary median at 110k for the private sector. Law School Transparency has them with a score 66%. I believe I posted that around 155 of the 230 class had full-time legal jobs. They really stressed networking at the weekend.

Of course, you can check out LST for all the specific info you're looking for.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers


Thanks! UT had their median jump to 160k and their clerkship rate is pretty excellent. But Minnesota is free. This decision is going to be difficult to make in a week!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:45 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
Thanks! UT had their median jump to 160k and their clerkship rate is pretty excellent. But Minnesota is free. This decision is going to be difficult to make in a week!

UTs median is DEFINITELY not 160k.

for C/O 2012, 26.4% of the class ended up in firms of 100+. Those would be the ones paying 160.

I mean, there is no denying that UT places better than UMN. But they are fooling you by not putting the

*% of class that reported data

on that 160 stat.

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby basketball law guy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:14 pm

To all Gopher vets out there- any strong recommendations on housing locations? Close to the school, uptown, good bus shuttle routes vs. city bus, etc.? Thanks. What can I expect to pay for a decent (not great, not terrible) 1 or 2 BR apartment?

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Nova wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
Thanks! UT had their median jump to 160k and their clerkship rate is pretty excellent. But Minnesota is free. This decision is going to be difficult to make in a week!

UTs median is DEFINITELY not 160k.

for C/O 2012, 26.4% of the class ended up in firms of 100+. Those would be the ones paying 160.

I mean, there is no denying that UT places better than UMN. But they are fooling you by not putting the

*% of class that reported data

on that 160 stat.


I was really incredulous but that was the info they gave us along with their ABA data for class of 2012. Granted, they can only report on info from respondents but they got about 80% of the class to respond. Mean income was 122k but that's pretty useless b/c of that whole bimodal distribution.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:51 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
Nova wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:
Thanks! UT had their median jump to 160k and their clerkship rate is pretty excellent. But Minnesota is free. This decision is going to be difficult to make in a week!

UTs median is DEFINITELY not 160k.

for C/O 2012, 26.4% of the class ended up in firms of 100+. Those would be the ones paying 160.

I mean, there is no denying that UT places better than UMN. But they are fooling you by not putting the

*% of class that reported data

on that 160 stat.


I was really incredulous but that was the info they gave us along with their ABA data for class of 2012. Granted, they can only report on info from respondents but they got about 80% of the class to respond. Mean income was 122k but that's pretty useless b/c of that whole bimodal distribution.


LST uses the same data, and im just not seeing how 40% of the class is making 160k. As for the mean... It may help a little if we were to assume half the class is making 160 max, and then the others that reported would make about 80k average. Most of which would be in the 60-100k range.

Im just staying on the subject because Im from Texas (grew up in Dallas, was living in Austin), and was considering UT in state too. :P

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm

No way Texas' placement is that high. And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways). Of course, if you have a science degree it's different.

User avatar
jing87
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jing87 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

minnbills wrote:No way Texas' placement is that high. And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways). Of course, if you have a science degree it's different.

what do you mean, why science major is different? I have a degree at EE, is that a science major?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

jing87 wrote:
minnbills wrote:No way Texas' placement is that high. And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways). Of course, if you have a science degree it's different.

what do you mean, why science major is different? I have a degree at EE, is that a science major?

Yeah, that counts.

Basically, intellectual property lawyers are in much higher demand and are not really competing on the same field as everyone else.

If you dont want to do IP, the science background is irrelevant.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm

jing87 wrote:
minnbills wrote:No way Texas' placement is that high. And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways). Of course, if you have a science degree it's different.

what do you mean, why science major is different? I have a degree at EE, is that a science major?

STEM majors can get it dat IP/Patent law, yes EE counts.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 am

minnbills wrote: And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways).


this is not entirely credited. 2 family friends who graduated from the U of M last year got first year positions at Dorsey for big market salary, which was admittedly a little lower than $160K but not by much, at least $130K. definitely counts as biglaw, and dorsey is actually not even the largest firm in the state. they were not STEM fields.

its not common but there definitely IS biglaw in minneapolis if you gun for it and graduate top 25%.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 am

..

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

jbagelboy wrote:
minnbills wrote: And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways).


this is not entirely credited. 2 family friends who graduated from the U of M last year got first year positions at Dorsey for big market salary, which was admittedly a little lower than $160K but not by much, at least $130K. definitely counts as biglaw, and dorsey is actually not even the largest firm in the state. they were not STEM fields.

its not common but there definitely IS biglaw in minneapolis if you gun for it and graduate top 25%.


People get it- I know some going to NYC/Chi/big minneapolis firms etc. but what I'm saying is you should assume you're not going to get it. Ask yourself if you're okay with that scenario before going to a non-T14 school.

Being motivated to find work is probably the biggest thing. The person with the lowest grades in my section got the highest paying summer job, and she's not a science major either.

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dawyzest1
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Just withdrew today putting a seat up for grabs and full scholly $ ($143k) back into the pool. Hope someone here snaps it up!

historicrep
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby historicrep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:14 pm

I know they mentioned that they don't negotiate pretty directly at the preview events, but I'm wondering if I should give it a shot again?

I simply can't afford the debt that I'd need to take on in order to attend at my current scholarship, but I am absolutely in love with the city and school and want to attend horribly...

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:24 pm

historicrep wrote:I know they mentioned that they don't negotiate pretty directly at the preview events, but I'm wondering if I should give it a shot again?

I simply can't afford the debt that I'd need to take on in order to attend at my current scholarship, but I am absolutely in love with the city and school and want to attend horribly...


Regardless of what they say they do negotiate with some people. Keep holding out. I would wait until you're close to the deadline, by then they'll have a better idea of how badly they want you.

User avatar
jing87
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jing87 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 am

minnbills wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
minnbills wrote: And if you're coming to the U you should assume you're not getting "biglaw" (we don't really have true biglaw in minneapolis anyways).


this is not entirely credited. 2 family friends who graduated from the U of M last year got first year positions at Dorsey for big market salary, which was admittedly a little lower than $160K but not by much, at least $130K. definitely counts as biglaw, and dorsey is actually not even the largest firm in the state. they were not STEM fields.

its not common but there definitely IS biglaw in minneapolis if you gun for it and graduate top 25%.


People get it- I know some going to NYC/Chi/big minneapolis firms etc. but what I'm saying is you should assume you're not going to get it. Ask yourself if you're okay with that scenario before going to a non-T14 school.

Being motivated to find work is probably the biggest thing. The person with the lowest grades in my section got the highest paying summer job, and she's not a science major either.


She got to be super hot or this makes no sense to me :P

User avatar
reyals
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby reyals » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 am

Debating whether or not I should try and negotiate.

hmm hmm hmm...

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 am

reyals wrote:Debating whether or not I should try and negotiate.

hmm hmm hmm...

If you're asking, you already know what the CW is. You're just fishing for some support.

User avatar
spark1
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby spark1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 am

on the WL since Feb, anyone off the WL? :(

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 am

spark1 wrote:on the WL since Feb, anyone off the WL? :(


Shit tons. What are your numbers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acr, hellohalo, malysh, mccracal, taxman14 and 23 guests