Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 am

jmorrisumn wrote:Checking in. In review as of 2/4.

UG at UMN; applied JDP and have already been accepted to the other program via phone. 1st quartile GPA, 3rd quartile LSAT. Did much better on GRE's than on LSAT. Maybe should have allocated prep time a little differently, but it's in the past now. Obvious ties to the city on my resume and in contained in personal statement that was focused more on why the JDP than why UMN.

Can say to everyone else: There's about two months where the weather's truly bad - and half it it school isn't even in session. UMN starts after Labor Day and after MLK day, so commuting to campus is only truly "bad" for about four weeks. (Bad defined <15 deg F) Summers in MN more than make up for it though (and there are more miles of lakefront in MN than there is shoreline in Cali.) Happy to field questions about the MPLS/StP for anyone.


Disclaimer: I'm not making fun of you, just illustrating a difference of perspective.

You say that bad is defined at <15 deg F.. I am from Texas and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 30 and anything below that lol. On the flip side, I'd define bad weather here as anything over 100 deg F (which happens for at least a month and a half every year..)

Anyways, when do people in MN start considering the weather to be "nice?"

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 am

mg7 wrote:
jmorrisumn wrote:Checking in. In review as of 2/4.

UG at UMN; applied JDP and have already been accepted to the other program via phone. 1st quartile GPA, 3rd quartile LSAT. Did much better on GRE's than on LSAT. Maybe should have allocated prep time a little differently, but it's in the past now. Obvious ties to the city on my resume and in contained in personal statement that was focused more on why the JDP than why UMN.

Can say to everyone else: There's about two months where the weather's truly bad - and half it it school isn't even in session. UMN starts after Labor Day and after MLK day, so commuting to campus is only truly "bad" for about four weeks. (Bad defined <15 deg F) Summers in MN more than make up for it though (and there are more miles of lakefront in MN than there is shoreline in Cali.) Happy to field questions about the MPLS/StP for anyone.


Disclaimer: I'm not making fun of you, just illustrating a difference of perspective.

You say that bad is defined at <15 deg F.. I am from Texas and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 30 and anything below that lol. On the flip side, I'd define bad weather here as anything over 100 deg F (which happens for at least a month and a half every year..)

Anyways, when do people in MN start considering the weather to be "nice?"


On the day I graduated (may 2011) it was the first, maybe second day that it was above 70 degrees that year. So, you know, Austin has had like 15 of those already.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 am

romanticegotist wrote:On the day I graduated (may 2011) it was the first, maybe second day that it was above 70 degrees that year. So, you know, Austin has had like 15 of those already.

:lol:

We haven't had a single day where the temperature hasn't gone above 70. But it's all relative. Cold is cold, hot is hot, nowhere has perfect weather, and at least Minneapolis is a great city.

User avatar
jmorrisumn
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jmorrisumn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 pm

mg7 wrote:
jmorrisumn wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm not making fun of you, just illustrating a difference of perspective.

You say that bad is defined at <15 deg F.. I am from Texas and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 30 and anything below that lol. On the flip side, I'd define bad weather here as anything over 100 deg F (which happens for at least a month and a half every year..)

Anyways, when do people in MN start considering the weather to be "nice?"


You're right: it's all about perspective. My definition comes from when my car starts acting up - below about fifteen I have to take my battery inside at night. Below -5, my gas lines start to freeze and I have to take the bus. You can always put on more layers though. At some level you can't take any more off though. Above 85 or so and I get uncomfortable.

I notice undergrads wearing shorts and flip flops after spring break (end of March) when it's still in the mid fourties. You won't see me doing that, but when you can get by with a fleece and without gloves, I call it nice enough.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

jmorrisumn wrote: My definition comes from when my car starts acting up - below about fifteen I have to take my battery inside at night. Below -5, my gas lines start to freeze


Image

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

jmorrisumn wrote:
mg7 wrote:
jmorrisumn wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm not making fun of you, just illustrating a difference of perspective.

You say that bad is defined at <15 deg F.. I am from Texas and I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between 30 and anything below that lol. On the flip side, I'd define bad weather here as anything over 100 deg F (which happens for at least a month and a half every year..)

Anyways, when do people in MN start considering the weather to be "nice?"


You're right: it's all about perspective. My definition comes from when my car starts acting up - below about fifteen I have to take my battery inside at night. Below -5, my gas lines start to freeze and I have to take the bus. You can always put on more layers though. At some level you can't take any more off though. Above 85 or so and I get uncomfortable.

I notice undergrads wearing shorts and flip flops after spring break (end of March) when it's still in the mid fourties. You won't see me doing that, but when you can get by with a fleece and without gloves, I call it nice enough.


Hahaha thank you for the honesty but being from California, this is a little terrifying to me. ;)

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Seriously. And I thought having to buy the special "sub freezing" bug windshield spray stuff you only see in North Florida was going to be a hassle. Now I have to figure out where my battery is!?

User avatar
AMilfordMan
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby AMilfordMan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Seriously. And I thought having to buy the special "sub freezing" bug windshield spray stuff you only see in North Florida was going to be a hassle. Now I have to figure out where my battery is!?


Meh. Public transit with underground walkways and a coat with a battery powered heater in it (yeah...that's real). You'll all be fine.

Subzero temperatures are just a nice reminder that you're alive. Albeit near death.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Seriously. And I thought having to buy the special "sub freezing" bug windshield spray stuff you only see in North Florida was going to be a hassle. Now I have to figure out where my battery is!?


Meh. Public transit with underground walkways and a coat with a battery powered heater in it (yeah...that's real). You'll all be fine.

Subzero temperatures are just a nice reminder that you're alive. Albeit near death.

If I end up at UMN, I'll just leave my car here.

nolongermissing
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nolongermissing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Seriously. And I thought having to buy the special "sub freezing" bug windshield spray stuff you only see in North Florida was going to be a hassle. Now I have to figure out where my battery is!?


Meh. Public transit with underground walkways and a coat with a battery powered heater in it (yeah...that's real). You'll all be fine.

Subzero temperatures are just a nice reminder that you're alive. Albeit near death.

If I end up at UMN, I'll just leave my car here.

public transportation in Minneapolis isn't that bad. the university has underground tunnels. downtown has skyways. this battery powered heater coat sounds bizzarre. just invest in a nice columbia jacket and you'll be good. car definitely isn't a necessity in Minneapolis

User avatar
BitterSplitter
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BitterSplitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:00 pm

.
Last edited by BitterSplitter on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Seriously. And I thought having to buy the special "sub freezing" bug windshield spray stuff you only see in North Florida was going to be a hassle. Now I have to figure out where my battery is!?


Meh. Public transit with underground walkways and a coat with a battery powered heater in it (yeah...that's real). You'll all be fine.

Subzero temperatures are just a nice reminder that you're alive. Albeit near death.

If I end up at UMN, I'll just leave my car here.

Thats what I did.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Withdrew today. Hopefully another 166'er can take my place! Good luck everyone :D

User avatar
AMilfordMan
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby AMilfordMan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 pm

dproduct wrote:Withdrew today. Hopefully another 166'er can take my place! Good luck everyone :D


I got wait listed for the PhD portion of my JD/PhD application, makin me now double wait listed at Minnesota. I'll take your withdrawal as a sign that I should send a LOCI tonight!

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:
dproduct wrote:Withdrew today. Hopefully another 166'er can take my place! Good luck everyone :D


I got wait listed for the PhD portion of my JD/PhD application, makin me now double wait listed at Minnesota. I'll take your withdrawal as a sign that I should send a LOCI tonight!


Do it 8) Best of luck to you!

historicrep
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby historicrep » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Will be three weeks under review tomorrow for me, hoping for some movement soon!

babyxballerina
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby babyxballerina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 pm

How quickly did you guys go under review? I just submitted my app 2 days ago and went complete yesterday. I went under review today. Makes me nervous because my LSAT is way below their range. Maybe autorject? :-/ how long was under review?

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lawschoolwife » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

historicrep wrote:Will be three weeks under review tomorrow for me, hoping for some movement soon!


Same. It's my top choice, so I've been obsessively monitoring my status and this thread.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm

historicrep wrote:Will be three weeks under review tomorrow for me, hoping for some movement soon!


Same here. What's your last UR date? Mine is 2/1.

User avatar
mg7
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mg7 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:22 pm

I've been UR for about a month.. Last UR date was 1/18

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lawschoolwife » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:24 pm

babyxballerina wrote:How quickly did you guys go under review? I just submitted my app 2 days ago and went complete yesterday. I went under review today. Makes me nervous because my LSAT is way below their range. Maybe autorject? :-/ how long was under review?


My app was submitted 1/17, went under review 2/1. I think yours probably went under review so quickly because I'm guessing they are in the midst of reviewing a bit batch and slipped yours in. I was looking at last years thread and it looks like there was a wave of decisions sent out the week of 2/20, so hopefully we will hear back soon.

User avatar
simplycatalina
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:25 pm

mg7 wrote:I've been UR for about a month.. Last UR date was 1/18


Hm that's weird. My first UR date was 1/18 but it changed recently.

babyxballerina
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby babyxballerina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

lawschoolwife wrote:
babyxballerina wrote:How quickly did you guys go under review? I just submitted my app 2 days ago and went complete yesterday. I went under review today. Makes me nervous because my LSAT is way below their range. Maybe autorject? :-/ how long was under review?


My app was submitted 1/17, went under review 2/1. I think yours probably went under review so quickly because I'm guessing they are in the midst of reviewing a bit batch and slipped yours in. I was looking at last years thread and it looks like there was a wave of decisions sent out the week of 2/20, so hopefully we will hear back soon.


I hope that's the case!! Otherwise autoreject.. Here I come! :-p

mkemmitt
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mkemmitt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:35 pm

MN resident, below both medians. Have been riding the waitlist since mid December. Good luck to everybody!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

babyxballerina wrote:How quickly did you guys go under review? I just submitted my app 2 days ago and went complete yesterday. I went under review today. Makes me nervous because my LSAT is way below their range. Maybe autorject? :-/ how long was under review?


Youre definitely not an auto reject with a 3.8+ LSAC GPA.

2 classmates I know of had low 150s/3.8+ and got in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YoungSimba and 10 guests