Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nova

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:43 pm

SAlpha wrote:App went complete 12/26 got my first update 12/28. Heres to hoping for some good news in the coming weeks!

Nice Avatar :mrgreen:

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 am

Accepted via voicemail! :D

I would definitely want to check it out before making a final decision (having never been to the area before)... but congrats and good luck to others!

mnlinds

Postby mnlinds » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 am

Got accepted by VM as well! So excited :D

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm

In via voice mail, pretty quick turnaround as I applied like a week and a half ago

Jasonmunn87

Postby Jasonmunn87 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Congrats all. Still waiting to hear, one of my top choices so fingers crossed.

dan k

Postby dan k » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 am

Just got accepted a couple of days ago via phone call. Was really in shock as I wasn't sure I was going to get in. 154/3.97.

I've been a long time lurker on TLS and never really wanted to make a profile because of all the doom and gloom. seems like alot of the ppl that post are only mid 160s and above, so applying to somewhere like UMN felt like a long shot (despite the relatively low 25th percentile).

At alot of schools I've applied to that are lower than UMN I'm still an auto-deny and so this was surprise, my first decision to boot. (not to mention the 3 week turn around)

Hopefully some law school hopeful with similar numbers will come across this post and feel some optimism that I never did browsing TLS.

A short caveat, however. I feel that my personal statement and soft factors probably helped me a bit in being admitted. not a URM or anything and no crazy work experience, just kind of an interesting story. Not sure it was a huge factor, but something I feel I should mention just in case the numbers thing is potentially misleading.

Anyway congrats to everyone who's been admitted and good luck to all those waiting !

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 am

Congrats everyone! Hope to see yall in the fall. Ima try to sign up to work ASW. Sooo maybe Ill see yall then.

On a less siginifcant note: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=200976

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:15 am

Nova wrote:Congrats everyone! Hope to see yall in the fall. Ima try to sign up to work ASW. Sooo maybe Ill see yall then.

On a less siginifcant note: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=200976

:lol:

Maybe i can present you with your trophy when I come in March

nolongermissing

Postby nolongermissing » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 pm

applied yesterday. kind of a hail mary. went to the UMN for undergrad. hoping that gives me a slight advantage.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Is Minnesota's website down for anyone else? It has been for me all day.

a2blifeUIUC

Postby a2blifeUIUC » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Is Minnesota's website down for anyone else? It has been for me all day.

It won't load for me either.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm

There is some maintenance going on, I think.

dan k

Postby dan k » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 pm

ya down for me as well

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Decided to apply. Are most of you guys from Minnesota/looking to stay in Minnesota?

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 am

Just checked the website - seems to be working fine for me~

slawww wrote:Decided to apply. Are most of you guys from Minnesota/looking to stay in Minnesota?

I'm actually from the Bay Area (California), but UMN caught my attention while researching law schools, and everything I read really appealed to me so I went ahead and applied. xD I've never ventured that far up north before, so the thought of experiencing actual winters is both terrifying and exciting at the same time.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:03 am

Nari Rina wrote:Just checked the website - seems to be working fine for me~

slawww wrote:Decided to apply. Are most of you guys from Minnesota/looking to stay in Minnesota?

I'm actually from the Bay Area (California), but UMN caught my attention while researching law schools, and everything I read really appealed to me so I went ahead and applied. xD I've never ventured that far up north before, so the thought of experiencing actual winters is both terrifying and exciting at the same time.

Same here, especially regarding the winters, as I'm from Florida. I got a couple of application invitations and started researching the school, and it seems like it'd be a great place to spend 3 years. I'm a bit concerned about UMN's reach outside of Minnesota/ the Midwest, if anyone has any insight on that.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:21 am

Seeing the people who've joined the admitted students Facebook group makes me want to choose UMN more. They seem like people I'd enjoy hanging out with.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:Seeing the people who've joined the admitted students Facebook group makes me want to choose UMN more. They seem like people I'd enjoy hanging out with.

I love my section :mrgreen:

dan k

Postby dan k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 am

Michigan. Really appealed to me b/c of the high rank, urban setting, and relatively low 25th percentile lsat.

Third highest school I applied to of 18 schools and was my first reply in the cycle. Really surprised as I think I submitted on the 23rd and received my acceptance on the 3rd.

Everything looks really great, but like others, I'm worried about its reach outside of MN. I have no idea where I want to practice but would really like to spend some time in a big city. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I end up spending a few years post grad in Minneapolis, building up experience and then possibly moving to one of the coasts.

Nova, (and any other current Minn Law students) how important do you feel it is to have a good idea of where you want to practice as a 0L preparing to enter? Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this but I figured I might as well ask while I'm here.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 am

dan wrote:how important do you feel it is to have a good idea of where you want to practice as a 0L preparing to enter? Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this but I figured I might as well ask while I'm here.

I would say its very importaint to have reasonable geographic expectations, no matter where you attend.

To quote Rad Lulz (he goes to Vandy) from a few hours ago [on Vandy]:

rad lulz wrote:It's portable to places you have preexisting ties, but will almost assuredly not open up new secondary markets outside the region

Large firms in NYC, DC, CA, Chi are pretty hard to get from Vandy UMN. You're gonna want to be significantly above the median to have a good shot. (Top quartile)

National portability to non-NYC/DC markets you don't have preexisting ties to is largely a myth even from more prestigious schools.

Basically a UMN JD will definitely get you back to where you have ties, and of course open up MPLS/STP and the greater region.

Im from Dallas. After talking to attorneys from Dallas and also many SMU students, I came to the conclusion that because of ties my prospects would be no worse than SMU grads, and in some cases better (So like if a firms cut off for SMU was top 25%, it may be top 33% for a school like UMN). Despite the lack of an extensive UMN network where I am from, a JD from a WUSTL/UMN (T30) type school will hold weight. Texas isnt insular against other parts of Texas, really, so I should have a similar shot at the Houston market. So I believe I have 3 good sized markets open to me for sure, even if I fail to get good grades (MLPS/Dallas/Houston).

So like, for Slawww, I would guess its similar to my situation in Dallas. The degree will hold weight like FSU/UF (at worst probably the same cutoffs), but the disadvantage would be not being part of their alumni networks. Yet a major advantage would be having an additional market open to you.

I am not counting on getting out to the coasts (and I dont really want to), and I would caution anyone who has that as their ultimate goal (assuming they dont have ties). That would require good grades, and honestly, my section is the smartest group of people my age ive ever been around. Everyone in my class is used to being one of the smartest kids in the room. With the curve, you really cant predict how you will do.

As far as moving to the coasts after working in MPLS for a few years, I think that would be hard. Contacts are super important to attorneys and it would definitely suck to reset your client book.

Ideally, those who attend UMN won’t mind staying and working in the area or going back home. Minneapolis/St.P are defintely going to be the easiest places to find work. For sheer volume, the main competition are 3 unranked schools. The real competition for the best jobs will be T14 kids who are coming back home, but that’s in every market. The alumni network is really strong here, and the degree is really respected. The further away you get from the region, the less pull it will have. Same with every school from UCLA down, and arguably T14s too.

Im sure many of you who visit in March/April will fall in love with the Twin Cities, like I did. :mrgreen:

dan k

Postby dan k » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Nova wrote:
dan wrote:how important do you feel it is to have a good idea of where you want to practice as a 0L preparing to enter? Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this but I figured I might as well ask while I'm here.

I would say its very importaint to have reasonable geographic expectations, no matter where you attend.

To quote Rad Lulz (he goes to Vandy) from a few hours ago [on Vandy]:

rad lulz wrote:It's portable to places you have preexisting ties, but will almost assuredly not open up new secondary markets outside the region

Large firms in NYC, DC, CA, Chi are pretty hard to get from Vandy UMN. You're gonna want to be significantly above the median to have a good shot. (Top quartile)

National portability to non-NYC/DC markets you don't have preexisting ties to is largely a myth even from more prestigious schools.

Basically a UMN JD will definitely get you back to where you have ties, and of course open up MPLS/STP and the greater region.

Im from Dallas. After talking to attorneys from Dallas and also many SMU students, I came to the conclusion that because of ties my prospects would be no worse than SMU grads, and in some cases better (So like if a firms cut off for SMU was top 25%, it may be top 33% for a school like UMN). Despite the lack of an extensive UMN network where I am from, a JD from a WUSTL/UMN (T30) type school will hold weight. Texas isnt insular against other parts of Texas, really, so I should have a similar shot at the Houston market. So I believe I have 3 good sized markets open to me for sure, even if I fail to get good grades (MLPS/Dallas/Houston).

So like, for Slawww, I would guess its similar to my situation in Dallas. The degree will hold weight like FSU/UF (at worst probably the same cutoffs), but the disadvantage would be not being part of their alumni networks. Yet a major advantage would be having an additional market open to you.

I am not counting on getting out to the coasts (and I dont really want to), and I would caution anyone who has that as their ultimate goal (assuming they dont have ties). That would require good grades, and honestly, my section is the smartest group of people my age ive ever been around. Everyone in my class is used to being one of the smartest kids in the room. With the curve, you really cant predict how you will do.

As far as moving to the coasts after working in MPLS for a few years, I think that would be hard. Contacts are super important to attorneys and it would definitely suck to reset your client book.

Ideally, those who attend UMN won’t mind staying and working in the area or going back home. Minneapolis/St.P are defintely going to be the easiest places to find work. For sheer volume, the main competition are 3 unranked schools. The real competition for the best jobs will be T14 kids who are coming back home, but that’s in every market. The alumni network is really strong here, and the degree is really respected. The further away you get from the region, the less pull it will have. Same with every school from UCLA down, and arguably T14s too.

Im sure many of you who visit in March/April will fall in love with the Twin Cities, like I did. :mrgreen:

thanks nova. ya that's pretty much the answer I expected, minus the moving locations thing after a few years of experience, but that too makes sense.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Just submitted my application. Checking in.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Hey all--

Checking in for the first time on here; submitted my application to the U on 1/4. 166/3.76 from Minnesota itself with relevant work experience. Hopefully I make it in! Minneapolis/St. Paul is wonderful and amazing and I am happy to answer any general questions about the University as a whole or the cities.

dan k

Postby dan k » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 am

romanticegotist wrote:Hey all--

Checking in for the first time on here; submitted my application to the U on 1/4. 166/3.76 from Minnesota itself with relevant work experience. Hopefully I make it in! Minneapolis/St. Paul is wonderful and amazing and I am happy to answer any general questions about the University as a whole or the cities.

wow great numbers for a Minn app, i think you're pretty solidly in.

on a side note, just got my acceptance package today. 16k a year, but I'm hoping to negotiate it up a little especially because I have a huge demonstrated financial need. Anybody know if this is a factor at Minnesota? What about law school in general? I'm an independent student (both parents passed away, one my junior year of high school and one during undergrad). If you have "demonstrated financial need" do you only get loans from the Federal government? Do law schools revise their aid packages once they've seen your fafsa info?

michaelm55

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Accepted already with scholly info, but if I get another email from UMN I am going to put it in my spam folder. I have received 6 emails from them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”