Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Just got my packet. $48,000 over three years ($16,000 per year) with 2.5 GPA stipulation. 164, 3.93

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dsn32 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Does anyone know if Minnesota section stacks? And does everyone keep their schollies with the 2.5 stip, or does the curve make that tough? They gave me the same amount as other schools have, except the others have said "good academic standing", so I'm curious how the 2.5 stip stacks up.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Just got my packet. $48,000 over three years ($16,000 per year) with 2.5 GPA stipulation. 164, 3.93


Nice! Good luck on the February retake, 4-5 more points and you've got yourself a free ride!

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm

dsn32 wrote:Does anyone know if Minnesota section stacks? And does everyone keep their schollies with the 2.5 stip, or does the curve make that tough? They gave me the same amount as other schools have, except the others have said "good academic standing", so I'm curious how the 2.5 stip stacks up.


Nova says its hard to get a 2.5 so you'll most likely keep it. Plus if you're that far down in the class rankings at a school like Minnesota you should drop out anyway.

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dsn32 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:
dsn32 wrote:Does anyone know if Minnesota section stacks? And does everyone keep their schollies with the 2.5 stip, or does the curve make that tough? They gave me the same amount as other schools have, except the others have said "good academic standing", so I'm curious how the 2.5 stip stacks up.


Nova says its hard to get a 2.5 so you'll most likely keep it. Plus if you're that far down in the class rankings at a school like Minnesota you should drop out anyway.


Figured as much. Thanks for the info!

User avatar
kd5
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:57 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kd5 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:41 pm

dsn32 wrote:Does anyone know if Minnesota section stacks? And does everyone keep their schollies with the 2.5 stip, or does the curve make that tough? They gave me the same amount as other schools have, except the others have said "good academic standing", so I'm curious how the 2.5 stip stacks up.
They don't seem to section stack. It's almost unheard-of for someone to lose their scholarship here. If you're hitting a 2.5 or lower, you're probably looking at dropping out (or should be), not just losing the scholarship. The curve puts most people clustered around a 3.0-3.4 range. I'd wager most of the bottom quartile was well above a 2.5:

Top quartile statistics from last year's 1L class (class of 2014):
241 total ranked students
One quartile = 60 students
First Quartile: 3.613 – 4.200
Second Quartile: 3.293 – 3.612
Third Quartile: 3.013 – 3.292
Fourth Quartile: …….. – 3.012

Note that an A+ = a 4.333 (and the kid with the 4.2 GPA transferred to Harvard)

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I think it's been a few years since someone lost a scholarship. I've never heard any rumors of section stacking either

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:16 am

kd5 wrote:
Top quartile statistics from last year's 1L class (class of 2014):
241 total ranked students
One quartile = 60 students
First Quartile: 3.613 – 4.200
Second Quartile: 3.293 – 3.612
Third Quartile: 3.013 – 3.292
Fourth Quartile: …….. – 3.012


Hmmm. Interesting. TYFT

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:00 am

BigZuck wrote:Sunny- I would like to, but both their ASWs overlap with other ASWs that I would like to attend so I'm not sure. I'm also really poor right now so I need to decide how many of these things I can attend. Are you going? I hope you get a good scholarship, I'm sure they are going to want that LSAT!

Keeping my fingers crossed! And I'm still not sure if I can afford to go galavanting around the country either, but I definitely want to.

User avatar
finnandjake2
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:$16,000/yr, just need to keep up above a 2.5 GPA. Surprised, as I am below both medians. I love you, UMN.

Edit: 162, 3.76, non-URM.

Woah, weren't you just admitted this week? Now I'm going to be waiting for the mailman in the bushes on Monday.


Amen. My packet coming today would be the best Christmas gift!

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby anteater1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:39 pm

$24k/year. Biggest offer so far but other schools would be cheaper because of in-state tuition... Nonetheless pretty stoked, would like to visit an ASW sometime next year

User avatar
Charlie.Home
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 pm

24k/yr same stips as you all. Thank you UMN for the Christmas present

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Congrats, yall.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby anteater1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Everyone else get those $300 travel stipends?

User avatar
finnandjake2
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby finnandjake2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:55 pm

20k/yr in-state. Pretty stoked. Congrats all.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:58 pm

finnandjake2 wrote:20k/yr in-state. Pretty stoked. Congrats all.


Sweet offer

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nickb285 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Got a packet with 24k a year. Out of state so it's still a bit pricey compared to some schools I'm looking at, but it's definitely in the mix now.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 am

24k a year, out of state. Certainly still pretty expensive but helpful. It would particularly be great if I was able to establish residency after my first year. Im hoping with fewer applications I may have some more leverage. Ive seen people on LSN with my number in previous years getting up to 90k scholarships.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:20 am

timeandspace11 wrote:24k a year, out of state. Certainly still pretty expensive but helpful. It would particularly be great if I was able to establish residency after my first year. Im hoping with fewer applications I may have some more leverage. Ive seen people on LSN with my number in previous years getting up to 90k scholarships.


The residency things has been known to be really hard to do.

Im considering buying property and marrying a local.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby timeandspace11 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 am

Nova wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:24k a year, out of state. Certainly still pretty expensive but helpful. It would particularly be great if I was able to establish residency after my first year. Im hoping with fewer applications I may have some more leverage. Ive seen people on LSN with my number in previous years getting up to 90k scholarships.


The residency things has been known to be really hard to do.

Im considering buying property and marrying a local.


Yeah establishing residency is not option A. I thin I am just gonna try and negotiate for more scholarship money

elderpisimo
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby elderpisimo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 pm

MA 3.06 168, admitted w/ 30k a year scholarship. Are my numbers good enough to try and negotiate for more?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 pm

elderpisimo wrote:MA 3.06 168, admitted w/ 30k a year scholarship. Are my numbers good enough to try and negotiate for more?


I think their next scholarship up is a full ride which I don't see them giving to that gpa but of course it never hurts to ask!

Granfalloon12
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Granfalloon12 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 pm

elderpisimo wrote:MA 3.06 168, admitted w/ 30k a year scholarship. Are my numbers good enough to try and negotiate for more?


Hey numbers twin... to the hundredth :shock: Happy to hear you got a decent scholarship, I'm anxiously anticipating mine at the moment.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:49 pm

elderpisimo wrote:MA 3.06 168, admitted w/ 30k a year scholarship. Are my numbers good enough to try and negotiate for more?

I got basically the same offer last cycle as a MA with the same stats. UMN typically accepts a few 167-170/3.0ish MAs and offers them basically that same scholarship.

TBH, you wont be able to negotiate unless you have a better offer from somewhere. Then maybe. That would mean T10 at sticker or T20ish with an offer that make tuition less than whatever you would be paying at UMN. That goes for everyone.

UMN doesnt negotiate the vast majority of the time. They say they make their best offer upfront. My good friend who did successfully negotiate had acceptances to UVA at sticker and NU with a small scholarship.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Nova wrote:
elderpisimo wrote:MA 3.06 168, admitted w/ 30k a year scholarship. Are my numbers good enough to try and negotiate for more?

I got basically the same offer last cycle as a MA with the same stats. UMN typically accepts a few 167-170/3.0ish MAs and offers them basically that same scholarship.

TBH, you wont be able to negotiate unless you have a better offer from somewhere. Then maybe. That would mean T10 at sticker or T20ish with an offer that make tuition less than whatever you would be paying at UMN. That goes for everyone.

UMN doesnt negotiate the vast majority of the time. They say they make their best offer upfront. My good friend who did successfully negotiate had acceptances to UVA at sticker and NU with a small scholarship.


Egregious anti-Duke trolling.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 6 guests