Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jym_dawg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 am

Philosophizer wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Philosophizer wrote:Greetings to my potential future classmates. I was accepted mid-December, but I have been negligent about posting. :oops:

As my only acceptance until yesterday, I have been envisioning myself in Nashville in the fall for about a month now. I received a call yesterday from UT Austin, and I am now faced with a decision. I doubt that I am going to hear anything from my reach schools (at least anything about $) at this point, so I think it will come down to these two.

Anyone in a similar situation care to share thoughts about the decision-making process?


How about: UT if you're from there and want to work in Texas, Vandy if you have ties to/want to work anywhere else?


I was hoping for something a bit more insightful, but thanks.


What kind of insights are you looking for? Both the schools you're considering are regional, so where you want to practice should be an important part of your decision...

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby teiswei » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

jym_dawg wrote:What kind of insights are you looking for? Both the schools you're considering are regional, so where you want to practice should be an important part of your decision...

Vandy isn't all that regional... Yes, more students stay in Tennessee than anywhere else but here's the numbers (class of 2012):

Tennessee - 38
New York - 24
Georgia - 14
Washington DC - 13
California - 10
Texas - 9
Florida - 5

Every other state is 4 or less

West - 19
South - 73
Midwest - 12
East - 59

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm

teiswei wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:What kind of insights are you looking for? Both the schools you're considering are regional, so where you want to practice should be an important part of your decision...

Vandy isn't all that regional... Yes, more students stay in Tennessee than anywhere else but here's the numbers (class of 2012):

Tennessee - 38
New York - 24
Georgia - 14
Washington DC - 13
California - 10
Texas - 9
Florida - 5

Every other state is 4 or less

West - 19
South - 73
Midwest - 12
East - 59

Which is one of the beautiful things about Vandy. :)

maxiguess
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby maxiguess » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 pm

maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm

harveyfan wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


I did about 150 words per question.

maxiguess
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby maxiguess » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:14 pm

harveyfan wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


Less on some, more on some. I think about 100 average.

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby porch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Jaqen wrote:
harveyfan wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


I did about 150 words per question.


Yeaaaaaa, I wrote too much.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby North » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Did anyone else just mistakenly get what appears to be an admitted students e-mail?

I haven't been admitted yet... Not even decision mailed.

Vanderbilt wrote:Admitted Students Programs, March 15 and April 5, travel expenses reimbursed

Information about our 2013 ASP events, including reimbursement of travel expenses, student hosting, online registration , and more…

http://www.law.vanderbilt.edu/prospecti ... index.aspx

New York Times, January 8, 2013: Nashville Takes Its Turn in the Spotlight

"Flush with young new residents and alive with immigrants, tourists and music, the city made its way to the top of all kinds of lists in 2012."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Vanderbilt Law Class of 2016 Facebook Group

Our fantastic students have created a Facebook group to welcome prospective members of the Class of 2016. Meet one another, ask questions, and get the inside story on VLS:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vanderbiltlaw2016/

-------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Recent Graduate Employment Information

The Career Services Brochure, 2013 Edition, has been mailed to admitted students with detailed employment data for the Class of 2011 including salaries by geographic region, geographic dispersion of top law schools’ new graduates, and variations in salary buying power and standard of living across locations.

-------------------------------------------------------------

VLS Faculty Ranked 8th in Study of Scholarly Impact:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_ ... pact.shtml

Considering Vanderbilt:

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx


Vanderbilt Law School Admissions Office | 131 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203
615.322.6452
admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Nope, I got nothing and I also have not seen a decision mailed (complete 11-5, interview 12-6, silence since then). Maybe they just forgot to update your status checker :D.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jym_dawg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

North wrote:Did anyone else just mistakenly get what appears to be an admitted students e-mail?

I haven't been admitted yet... Not even decision mailed.

Vanderbilt wrote:Admitted Students Programs, March 15 and April 5, travel expenses reimbursed

Information about our 2013 ASP events, including reimbursement of travel expenses, student hosting, online registration , and more…

http://www.law.vanderbilt.edu/prospecti ... index.aspx

New York Times, January 8, 2013: Nashville Takes Its Turn in the Spotlight

"Flush with young new residents and alive with immigrants, tourists and music, the city made its way to the top of all kinds of lists in 2012."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Vanderbilt Law Class of 2016 Facebook Group

Our fantastic students have created a Facebook group to welcome prospective members of the Class of 2016. Meet one another, ask questions, and get the inside story on VLS:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vanderbiltlaw2016/

-------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Recent Graduate Employment Information

The Career Services Brochure, 2013 Edition, has been mailed to admitted students with detailed employment data for the Class of 2011 including salaries by geographic region, geographic dispersion of top law schools’ new graduates, and variations in salary buying power and standard of living across locations.

-------------------------------------------------------------

VLS Faculty Ranked 8th in Study of Scholarly Impact:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_ ... pact.shtml

Considering Vanderbilt:

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx


Vanderbilt Law School Admissions Office | 131 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203
615.322.6452
admissions@law.vanderbilt.edu


What was the subject of the email? They sent out two, "Candy Law Update" and "Vandy Law ASP" with identical text. It's possible the Update was meant for the entire applicant pool and they mistakenly used the wrong text.

Or maybe you're in and just don't know it yet. :)

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:32 pm

jym_dawg wrote:What was the subject of the email? They sent out two, "Candy Law Update" and "Vandy Law ASP" with identical text. It's possible the Update was meant for the entire applicant pool and they mistakenly used the wrong text.

Or maybe you're in and just don't know it yet. :)

Guessing the latter.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:34 pm

"Candy Law?" Isn't that Phoenix?

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:"Candy Law?" Isn't that Phoenix?


I've heard Southwestern has a good Candy Law program.

bzzingbee
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bzzingbee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:40 pm

porch wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
harveyfan wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


I did about 150 words per question.


Yeaaaaaa, I wrote too much.


haha you and me both.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby North » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

nickb285 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:"Candy Law?" Isn't that Phoenix?


I've heard Southwestern has a good Candy Law program.

Lulz.

jym_dawg wrote:What was the subject of the email? They sent out two, "Candy Law Update" and "Vandy Law ASP" with identical text.

Yeah, I got both too. Weird. Maybe we are in...

NoChainz
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby NoChainz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

porch wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
harveyfan wrote:
maxiguess wrote:Submitted the Merit Scholarship app. Would be nice to have any clue whether I was going to get in before that but oh well.


About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


I did about 150 words per question.


Yeaaaaaa, I wrote too much.


Doubt it was too much, mine was a few pages. It's a full-ride plus stipend, as long as it was meaningful content or at least wove a narrative I doubt it was too much.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Crowing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

I think I was around 300 on most questions :oops:

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby harveyfan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Crowing wrote:I think I was around 300 on most questions :oops:


I ended up writing about 300 for half, and 150-200 for the other half.

I think it'll end up being quality over quantity (esp. since they didn't give any word limit).

Good luck to everyone who applied!

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby helpplease » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm

I hope they use the scholarship application as a tool for admission decisions as well. Come on Vanderbilt, this wait is killing me :(

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby North » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:34 pm

In today via Black Box -- 173/3.35. Didn't think it'd be so fast.

I have to withdraw because I ED'd UVA, so I really hope my spot goes to one of y'all! It appears Splitters are fair game at Vandy this year, so that's good.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:37 pm

North wrote:In today via Black Box -- 173/3.35. Didn't think it'd be so fast.

I have to withdraw because I ED'd UVA, so I really hope my spot goes to one of y'all! It appears Splitters are fair game at Vandy this year, so that's good.

Excellent news! Hopefully they can cut out the middle man and just arrange to have you send me your box :D

User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby porch » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 pm

NoChainz wrote:
porch wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
harveyfan wrote:About how much (how many words) did you write for each of the questions?


I did about 150 words per question.


Yeaaaaaa, I wrote too much.


Doubt it was too much, mine was a few pages. It's a full-ride plus stipend, as long as it was meaningful content or at least wove a narrative I doubt it was too much.


425, 294, 142, 314, 353, 183

okay, maybe not that bad looking back on it.

RBen148
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RBen148 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 pm

In today via big black box! I hate to make everyone check their door more often, but mine came and my status checker still has no decision date...I also received the apparent accepted student email the other day.

LogicalLabyrinths
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:41 am

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LogicalLabyrinths » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 am

RBen148 wrote:In today via big black box! I hate to make everyone check their door more often, but mine came and my status checker still has no decision date...I also received the apparent accepted student email the other day.


Congrats see you in the fall (most likely)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”