Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMHCLT

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby CMHCLT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am

Complete 12/7
DLS: 3/26

Leaving from work today to drive across the country... poorly timed mailing :/

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

CMHCLT wrote:Complete 12/7

Well, shoot. Has Vandy been taking this long with generally everyone?

marbellie

Postby marbellie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 am

JXander wrote:

I'm not sure...I went to the last ASW (March 15th) and most of the people I spoke with there heard back within a month and were praising Vandy's efficiency/expediency. I heard back in a week..I'm a reverse splitter so I was pretty surprised but do have strong softs. As far as I can tell the only pattern is if the decision is given quickly it's a yes and longer ones are toss ups.

That's just my observation, any thoughts? (Good luck to those still waiting!)

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 am

marbellie wrote:
JXander wrote:

I'm not sure...I went to the last ASW (March 15th) and most of the people I spoke with there heard back within a month and were praising Vandy's efficiency/expediency. I heard back in a week..I'm a reverse splitter so I was pretty surprised but do have strong softs. As far as I can tell the only pattern is if the decision is given quickly it's a yes and longer ones are toss ups.

Ah, interesting. I am wondering if they are similar to some of the other schools that are desperate to snag the URMs pretty quickly, but take longer for everyone else.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

Come on Vandy, I need an answer from you more than anyone. Complete since 1/28

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am

JXander wrote:
marbellie wrote:
JXander wrote:

Ah, interesting. I am wondering if they are similar to some of the other schools that are desperate to snag the URMs pretty quickly, but take longer for everyone else.

Not an URM, but do have solid softs. I am also below both medians...

Good luck to everyone! I'm not really expecting an acceptance, if I'm realistic

marbellie

Postby marbellie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 am

JXander wrote:
marbellie wrote:
JXander wrote:

Yeah that might be it, but only two of the people that talked about it were minorities haha. Who knows the method to their madness :P

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

marbellie wrote:
JXander wrote:
marbellie wrote:
JXander wrote:Well, shoot. Has Vandy been taking this long with generally everyone?

Yeah that might be it, but only two of the people that talked about it were minorities haha. Who knows the method to their madness :P

I think I am in the group of low numbers URM with impressive softs that are put aside to see what URM deposits

iamsupergrover

Postby iamsupergrover » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am

Visited yesterday, sat in on a class, talked to Christina...

I want to go to there. Wow.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

iamsupergrover wrote:Visited yesterday, sat in on a class, talked to Christina...

Can you give an overall impression of the school, students, housing, culture, etc?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 am

ironbmike wrote:
iamsupergrover wrote:Visited yesterday, sat in on a class, talked to Christina...

Can you give an overall impression of the school, students, housing, culture, etc?

I feel like this is the word of the day. Even after visiting some schools I still don't get how people get an opinion about the culture. Plus I really don't understand the real meaning of culture in the context of LS.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:37 am

So...negotiating with Vanderbilt? Lolno, not even worth a shot? Everyone who has tried has been shot down, correct?

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 am

JayJones78 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

I feel like this is the word of the day. Even after visiting some schools I still don't get how people get an opinion about the culture. Plus I really don't understand the real meaning of culture in the context of LS.

You don't think different schools have different cultures?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am

BigZuck wrote:So...negotiating with Vanderbilt? Lolno, not even worth a shot? Everyone who has tried has been shot down, correct?

There's not cost in emailing, so you might as well. But yeah, it seems like they do not negotiate.

blueruditio

Postby blueruditio » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BigZuck wrote:So...negotiating with Vanderbilt? Lolno, not even worth a shot? Everyone who has tried has been shot down, correct?

There's not cost in emailing, so you might as well. But yeah, it seems like they do not negotiate.

This. But one of the 3Ls at the March ASW student panel said that negotiations have happened in the past. Some schools seem to be giving out money to more people than before, less likely to up individual scholarship amounts.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:41 am

ironbmike wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

You don't think different schools have different cultures?

They most certainly do, I just don't know how a visitor can observe this from a visit or even ASW.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

JayJones78 wrote:They most certainly do, I just don't know how a visitor can observe this from a visit or even ASW.

True, but sometimes it's easy to pick up on big differences just by talking to people.

iamsupergrover

Postby iamsupergrover » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 am

ironbmike wrote:Can you give an overall impression of the school, students, housing, culture, etc?

I sat in on a 1st year class, and it was the only school i've visited where random students came up, chatted, seemed genuinely excited to talk to a prospective student. It seemed far less competitive than another school I had visited the day before, in terms of the way students treated each other. Hard to describe exactly, just a feeling. The building has a nice aura to it. I spent the rest of my time in town farting around Nashville, and the area really appealed to me. Having gone to UCSB, any housing is an improvement over Isla Vista's housing situation (in terms of cost and demand). The admissions dept also didn't give me a hard sell, which was a nice change. (Although that probably has something to do with the fact that I'm accepted at the other schools; this is the only one I've visited that I'm waitlisted at.)

That being said, I hope you admitted students hate it, and if you haven't visited, it's horrible, you definitely should NOT go there. :)
Last edited by iamsupergrover on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 am

My favorite part was how often everyone reinforced the idea that the small class size means you can't really afford to be a jerk. I've put up with so many jerks at my giant Anonymous State U that I'm really looking forward to an environment where reputation and shame keep people in line.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:My favorite part was how often everyone reinforced the idea that the small class size means you can't really afford to be a jerk. I've put up with so many jerks at my giant Anonymous State U that I'm really looking forward to an environment where reputation and shame keep people in line.

:) Well put

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

To be clear, they rarely negotiate, but it does certainly happen. In any case, Sunny is right. It takes so little effort on your part to negotiate that there is absolutely no good reason not to try. You're already accepted so the worst that can happen is that they don't give you any more money.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Question: application submit and received, and I got the email about the virtual whatever. Registered, filled out my profile with LSAC number, and tried to view my application status.. but it says that I "haven't submit an application or haven't added my LSAC number" (paraphrasing). Anyone know what's up? How do I get the status checker to work?

Help would be appreciated!

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:09 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:

Figuring out the "culture" of a law school can be tricky. I suggest keeping your eyes open for the following: When you visit, are students open and welcoming? What do they say about the school? How about professors? Do they bother talking to prospective students? What type of student goes to that school? (Yes, it can be hard to generalize w/r/t this last question, but I can say from personal experience that students at different schools I visited often shared similar characteristics).

Also, I think the general vibe you get about a school speaks directly to its culture (ex. laid-back, uptight, outgoing, bookish, collegial, competitive, etc.) There is a huge spectrum of things to consider, but when you combine them all I think that's the culture you get.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Question: application submit and received, and I got the email about the virtual whatever. Registered, filled out my profile with LSAC number, and tried to view my application status.. but it says that I "haven't submit an application or haven't added my LSAC number" (paraphrasing). Anyone know what's up? How do I get the status checker to work?

Help would be appreciated!

It takes a few days for the systems to sync. It'll come up in a day or two. If not, email.

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 pm

GUISE I really loved Vandy and wish I could be thurr.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”