Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm

You all should go to Vanderbilt.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:51 pm

fallingup wrote:My #1 concern is that Vanderbilt is a regional school in terms of employment. But if I want to be in State XYZ, I'd rather just go to a comparable or better school in State XYZ.

This is a really good point for a lot of people. However, this also applies to most of the schools in the T14.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Bored current student trolling the admit thread and decided to make myself available to answer some questions, in large part because I think both the people that loved and hated Vanderbilt aren't getting a good sense of the school and some stuff I've read here has just been patently wrong.

I'll check in periodically, but feel free to ask away.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:54 pm

fallingup wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
fallingup wrote:In my personal opinion, they did a great job with the admitted students program. The current students and the professors were incredibly open, warm, and friendly. The students were very fun, too. Many people loved it and said they were going to commit after the admitted students program. I just decided the culture wasn't for me. That is not a knock on Vandy - it is a comment about my personal fit with the school. It is silly to expect everyone to love a school and fit in at the school. If a school has a distinct culture, naturally some will love it and some will hate it. For example, ALL the current students at Vandy that I spoke to criticized Georgetown and said they would have hated to go there. That doesn't mean Georgetown sucks or that Vandy students are wrong - it just means some people like some schools and some don't.

Re the bolded
Can you please elaborate? I see a lot of these responses, esp I regards to work environments when taking about corporate America etc but sometimes about schools too. What in the culture felt off? I'm not saying in any way that it's invalid, just wondering. I tried to examine the culture at W&L ASW and couldn't really come to a definite conclusion. Thanks!

I asked a couple current students and they both said they thought Vandy was close to an even split between conservative and liberal (politically). I don't want to get into a fight with anyone over whether that is problematic or not - all I'm saying is that it's not for me. The school and city were also overwhelmingly white. I am neither white nor black and felt very out of place - some people don't care about that, so more power to them. I also felt that the school was very preppy. Again, nothing wrong with that - I just found that I had very little in common with most of the current students and the fellow admitted students. There were a few admitted students and a few current students with whom I felt I had a lot to talk about, but they were clearly not the typical Vanderbilt student in appearance, dress, interests, or demographics. I went to a very preppy, rich, southern undergrad and enjoyed the hell out of it, but it was also one of the most diverse schools in the country and extremely intellectual and academic - I am used to that and I want to continue learning in that environment. There were people wearing mock Native American costumes and one guy cross-dressing at the auction event last night at Vanderbilt - an auction that was supposed to benefit the school's public interest stipend. I personally found that to be a turn-off. Finally, I felt that Nashville was provincial. I noticed that the stores, events, and musical artists that I enjoy don't frequent Nashville. I don't live in a big city and don't aspire to, but I still feel like I have access to more "worldly" experiences in my hometown. So there you have it - it's not my culture.

My #1 concern is that Vanderbilt is a regional school in terms of employment. Of course, people can get jobs in other states or jobs in big law firms (i.e., 250+ attorneys) from Vanderbilt. But if I want to be in State XYZ, I'd rather just go to a comparable or better school in State XYZ. It was telling to me that Vandy had the initial ASP reception at the biggest, most impressive law firm in Nashville, and it only had 170 attorneys. I crunched the school's employment numbers using the handouts they themselves provided to us, and about half of Vanderbilt grads are employed in the South. That is too high of a number for me, as a person who wants to attend a school with a truly national reach.

All fair. I definitely felt a preppy vibe.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 pm

fingersxd wrote:Bored current student trolling the admit thread and decided to make myself available to answer some questions, in large part because I think both the people that loved and hated Vanderbilt aren't getting a good sense of the school and some stuff I've read here has just been patently wrong.

A ) What's your least favorite thing about Vanderbilt?

B ) What, so far, sticks out as the most patently wrong thing said in this thread?

(Thanks for offering your prospective, btw. Neither of these were meant to sound confrontational.)
Last edited by alwayssunnyinfl on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 pm

fingersxd wrote:Bored current student trolling the admit thread and decided to make myself available to answer some questions, in large part because I think both the people that loved and hated Vanderbilt aren't getting a good sense of the school and some stuff I've read here has just been patently wrong.

Well don't take questions then, just give us your opinion. Or consider this a broad question to give us your perspective on everything that is being talked about. What is patently wrong?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm not white or black either and while Vandy did seem overwhelmingly white and black it didn't bother me at all. But maybe that's because I've lived in the rural/suburban Midwest most of my life.

In general it seemed like most of the students there were very social (but certainly self-selected since I suppose less social people wouldn't have participated in ASD). I know there were some prospies who never went out and went to bed early both nights, so I can see how to those kind of people the school would seem like a bad fit based on the way it was presented.

But honestly I didn't see the preppiness or anything like that. I'm really not a very social person and I felt like I fit right in - I had three 1Ls tell me drunkenly on Friday night that they really thought I should be at Vandy based on our time together. There were plenty of people who I legitimately would love to hang out with on a regular basis. I guess I appreciated that I met a lot of people who were legit law students who were interested in what they did and wanted to talk about it in addition to standard 20-something fare yet nobody tried to engage me in weird long-winded intellectual conversations about economics or politics or w/e other shit I don't give a fuck about like has happened elsewhere.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

A ) What's your least favorite thing about Vanderbilt?

B ) What, so far, sticks out as the most patently wrong thing said in this thread?

(Thanks for offering your prospective, btw. Neither of these were meant to sound confrontational.)

A) I'm from a big city so I feel like there's a lack of culture here. I know this sounds snobbish, but the city isn't exactly teeming with museums, art galleries, etc. That said, what they do have is good and more often than not I'm too busy to care all that much.

B) I haven't read the entire thread -- just the last few pages -- but I think people got a much more conservative vibe from the school than is fair. For instance, ACS is a huge organization on campus (at least as big as FedSoc). Unfortunately, some ppl couldn't make it, and others were too lazy to set up for the student org. fair. Mostly, this is because students should absolutely not make their law school decisions based on student orgs (if it's not there, make one!) so tons of organizations were not represented because people had better things to do. Yes, the school is more conservative than say, NYU. But no more so than UVA or Duke.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Crowing wrote:I'm not white or black either and while Vandy did seem overwhelmingly white and black it didn't bother me at all. But maybe that's because I've lived in the rural/suburban Midwest most of my life.

In general it seemed like most of the students there were very social (but certainly self-selected since I suppose less social people wouldn't have participated in ASD). I know there were some prospies who never went out and went to bed early both nights, so I can see how to those kind of people the school would seem like a bad fit based on the way it was presented.

But honestly I didn't see the preppiness or anything like that. I'm really not a very social person and I felt like I fit right in - I had three 1Ls tell me drunkenly on Friday night that they really thought I should be at Vandy based on our time together. There were plenty of people who I legitimately would love to hang out with on a regular basis. I guess I appreciated that I met a lot of people who were legit law students who were interested in what they did and wanted to talk about it in addition to standard 20-something fare yet nobody tried to engage me in weird long-winded intellectual conversations about economics or politics or w/e other shit I don't give a fuck about like has happened elsewhere.

Vandy has it's share of preppies. And yes, it's probably more than at some other schools. But in my experience the law school itself doesn't have that "preppy" vibe.

And listen, there are a handful of wanna-be pseudo-intellectuals. Fortunately, due to the interview process and self-selection we get fewer of those than most. Fewer dicks too.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
fallingup wrote:My #1 concern is that Vanderbilt is a regional school in terms of employment. But if I want to be in State XYZ, I'd rather just go to a comparable or better school in State XYZ.

This is a really good point for a lot of people. However, this also applies to most of the schools in the T14.

Exactly, which is why I crossed most of the T7-14 off my list, along with Vanderbilt.

Culture is extremely subjective. My personal assessment of the culture led me to conclude that the school was a poor fit for me. This means nothing to anybody else except me, because no one cares about all the same things I do.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

fallingup wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Exactly, which is why I crossed most of the T7-14 off my list, along with Vanderbilt.

I can see that - I'm definitely not sold on the school as far as how well it fits my career and regional goals. But socially I really loved the city and the school, though ultimately that's not the most important thing sadly.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:14 pm

fallingup wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

If you're getting in to the T6, unless its at full-ride and Vandy is giving you boatloads of cash, I'm not even sure why you were considering Vandy all that seriously.

The bottom line is that, IMO, Vandy's employment/clerkship placement is probably a hair above its rank (if marginally so) and as such I could see a strong argument for Vandy over anything below T6 for many reasons (primarily money), but that doesn't seem to be your decision.

Frankly, it sounds to me like your school options and decision-making process won't align with the overwhelming majority of people in this thread.

kraffcook

Postby kraffcook » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 pm

sublime wrote:
kraffcook wrote:
I may have exaggerated in my original posts. I wasn't in a good mood and the Georgetown forum already isn't the happiest place in the world. I'll address this part because it was an odd circumstance. Basically, I was told I'd get need-aid, then I didn't. I called to ask why and it took some back and forth with the financial aid office, explaining my circumstances, for them to look up my file. After a quick 5-minute review, the guy told me he'd pull my file for a full review and get back to me. That's where I am now.

Vanderbilt, meanwhile, has been nothing but helpful since I was accepted and was my top choice before I was drawn by the allure of living in Washington. I know nothing about Nashville or that state of Tennessee in general, so I guess I'll see how much I like it when I come up in a couple weeks.

I meant, no disrespect. Regardless, best of luck. It is possible that I have been lucky with the schools I have dealt with, mainly WUSTL, but also UMN and Iowa. I haven't seen a single bad thing about them in their forums either. Again, good luck with whatever you decide, it is just that your experience with admissions differed very wildly from my own.

None taken. Pretty sure its just Gtown students having problems, I haven't heard any bad stories from other schools (except one or two from UF). Good luck to you as well

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:38 pm

In case there remains any lingering confusion, do NOT expect scholly negotiations w/Vandy to be fruitful. Anecdotally I have heard of some successes, but this is rare, and you'd have to have some stellar competing offers and be someone they REALLY want. Like most of my peers, I tried and failed to negotiate when I was making my decision.

There is a minor caveat, and I hesitate to make it at all, but cards on the table there is a slight probability of getting more aid than you expected via something they call a "Deans Leadership Award." As far as I can tell, it's just another scholly (and a relatively small one -- usually around 5k) that they toss to a decent handful of people after they commit to the school. It seems like these go to the people who were really trying to negotiate and who Vandy wanted, but they just didn't want to put more money on the table upfront since a limited pool means any outstanding offers of aid to one student limit the amount of aid they can offer to others, such as WL admits. As far as I can tell, no way to know in advance if you'll get one (unless things have changed the last few years), but it's a nice surprise for some people.

Also, before I forget, someone asked about schollys for WL students before. The answer is yes, some scholarship money is made available, but it's sort of the dregs of the keg so don't expect a huge offer. Again, this is on average. One or two people may get a substantial amount (unlikely, but possible). Most will get something, but not a ton.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:57 pm

fingersxd wrote:
fallingup wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

If you're getting in to the T6, unless its at full-ride and Vandy is giving you boatloads of cash, I'm not even sure why you were considering Vandy all that seriously.

The bottom line is that, IMO, Vandy's employment/clerkship placement is probably a hair above its rank (if marginally so) and as such I could see a strong argument for Vandy over anything below T6 for many reasons (primarily money), but that doesn't seem to be your decision.

Frankly, it sounds to me like your school options and decision-making process won't align with the overwhelming majority of people in this thread.

This is ultimately where I ended up. I didn't see how I could justify Vandy over some other schools I am fortunate to be in.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 pm

TripTrip wrote:Waitlisted today via snail mail.

Fuck whatever dueshe is behind your cycle. Sorry bro. Hang in there.

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Per usual, I'm torn after the ASP. On the one hand, Vandy's offer was one of my best but only marginally so. Though, to be honest, I would pick Vandy over the two higher offers I currently have on account of job prospects and other reasons. The main thing for me is that being in Nashville was wonderful and reminded me of home SO MUCH. I've been and lived all over the country and world, but none of those places have really felt like home to me. And while I've gotten into higher-ranked schools, Vandy is a very strong brand in the southeast, which I'm feeling more and more strongly about winding up long-term after graduation. On the other hand, I've got nearly comparable offers from higher-ranked schools that have, frankly, more favorable employment statistics, if typically in markets that are of less interest to me. Unless I can be one of those anecdotal success stories when it comes to negotiating, deciding to attend Vandy over other options would be kind of risky and based primarily on warm fuzzies and the certainty that I do, in fact, want to wind up where I think I do. I guess that's just the nature of the law school beast, having to base decisions now on where I want to be years down the road.

Basically I really liked Vanderbilt and Nashville, I'm confident I would be happy there, and it makes sense in some ways but not as much in others. I guess I'll have to hope for the best and make the best decision I can given my options. I would just really like it if Vandy could work out to be the best decision.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:57 pm

shntn wrote:Per usual, I'm torn after the ASP. On the one hand, Vandy's offer was one of my best but only marginally so. Though, to be honest, I would pick Vandy over the two higher offers I currently have on account of job prospects and other reasons. The main thing for me is that being in Nashville was wonderful and reminded me of home SO MUCH. I've been and lived all over the country and world, but none of those places have really felt like home to me. And while I've gotten into higher-ranked schools, Vandy is a very strong brand in the southeast, which I'm feeling more and more strongly about winding up long-term after graduation. On the other hand, I've got nearly comparable offers from higher-ranked schools that have, frankly, more favorable employment statistics, if typically in markets that are of less interest to me. Unless I can be one of those anecdotal success stories when it comes to negotiating, deciding to attend Vandy over other options would be kind of risky and based primarily on warm fuzzies and the certainty that I do, in fact, want to wind up where I think I do. I guess that's just the nature of the law school beast, having to base decisions now on where I want to be years down the road.

Basically I really liked Vanderbilt and Nashville, I'm confident I would be happy there, and it makes sense in some ways but not as much in others. I guess I'll have to hope for the best and make the best decision I can given my options. I would just really like it if Vandy could work out to be the best decision.

If Duke is one of these other schools that would be best of both worlds I think?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Not that I could ever get in, but I really do not like Duke.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:00 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Not that I could ever get in, but I really do not like Duke.

I always have (and still do) read your handle as always sunny in (the) NFL. It never makes any sense.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 pm

wert3813 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Not that I could ever get in, but I really do not like Duke.

I always have (and still do) read your handle as always sunny in (the) NFL. It never makes any sense.

I also really do not like football.

Foe'd

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Fuck Duke. It's not on the table as an option, either. The only remotely comparable school in terms of geography is UVA, which is, for various reasons, not really comparable at all.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 pm

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 pm

(I kinda like duke)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”