Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Vanderbilt c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Post by BigZuck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 pm

Cliffs on why everybody hates Duke? I have never even been to the Southeast so I don't really know much of anything about these schools other than their general reputations. I always thought Duke was similar to Vanderbilt. No?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Last edited by sublime on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:Cliffs on why everybody hates Duke? I have never even been to the Southeast so I don't really know much of anything about these schools other than their general reputations. I always thought Duke was similar to Vanderbilt. No?
Duke is all the white privilege and douchebaggary of a country club with none of the stuff that makes the South charming.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:Cliffs on why everybody hates Duke? I have never even been to the Southeast so I don't really know much of anything about these schools other than their general reputations. I always thought Duke was similar to Vanderbilt. No?
My vendetta is purely personal.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Duke is all the white privilege and douchebaggary of a country club with none of the stuff that makes the South charming.
GREENWICH PRICKS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 am

sublime12089 wrote:

They have a douchey preppy reputation. They tend to embrace it also. Some of it is from college hoops, as there is some tension and that it is a "rich/white boy school" - if anyone watched the Fab Five, Jalen Rose's comments are what I am talking about. The lacrosse thing didn't really help anything either.

Also, I feel like the school, not just law but as a whole, acts like it is better than it is. A very very good school, without a doubt, but it isn't Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, etc.

Btw, I don't hate Duke students or anyone who goes to Duke just for that reason, I hate them because they are assholes. - jk the institution as a whole tends to rub people the wrong way.
But it's the Harvard of the south!!!!! (Said by my friend who is a dukie and part of duke legacy)

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 am

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 am

sublime12089 wrote:

They have a douchey preppy reputation. They tend to embrace it also. Some of it is from college hoops, as there is some tension and that it is a "rich/white boy school" - if anyone watched the Fab Five, Jalen Rose's comments are what I am talking about. The lacrosse thing didn't really help anything either.

Also, I feel like the school, not just law but as a whole, acts like it is better than it is. A very very good school, without a doubt, but it isn't Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, etc.

Btw, I don't hate Duke students or anyone who goes to Duke just for that reason, I hate them because they are assholes. - jk the institution as a whole tends to rub people the wrong way.
To be fair Duke's rep in the South is just as good, if not better than, HYS among most peeps, including many in the knoe

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

jym_dawg wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

To be fair Duke's rep in the South is just as good, if not better than, HYS among most peeps, including many in the knoe
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:(I kinda like duke)
(+1)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 am

Rlabo wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:(I kinda like duke)
(+1)
I actually love them. I lived in the RDU area for three years and I have a big place of my heart for NC in general. I think it's a great place to live. I love Chapel Hill which I prob if you're going to duke.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 am

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:11 am

jym_dawg wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

This may be one of the least accurate things I've read in a while. Duke's not even the most respected school in the South; that honor goes to UVA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:28 am

Duke isn't even Southern. It's an East Coast school that happens to be located in North Carolina.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:30 am

Crowing wrote:Duke Emory isn't even Southern. It's an East Coast school that happens to be located in North Carolina Georgia.
FTFY

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:03 am

fingersxd wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

This may be one of the least accurate things I've read in a while. Duke's not even the most respected school in the South; that honor goes to UVA.
It depends where you are, but throughout most of the South (that I've been to at least), Duke is thought of as the most prominent school south of DC. UVA is just as good of a school, but its just not talked about like Duke is. They have a mix of northeastern elitism and southern pride that rubs people from all areas the wrong way sometimes, but they're a great school. I only hate Duke because I'm a UNC fan.

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 am

fingersxd wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:

Mention UVA and you'll often get a shrug. Mention Duke and people light up. It's considered the best school in the South and is on par with any other school in the country in terms of rep. But yes, this probably varies by state / depends on the number of Northern transplants

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:56 am

Sure, people may "light up" because they know it's a decent school, but it is not Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 am

Well glad I could get this discussion going...

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 am

wert3813 wrote:Well glad I could get this discussion going...
It's always a fun one.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am

shntn wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Well glad I could get this discussion going...
It's always a fun one.
lol just do Duke, bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Sure, people may "light up" because they know it's a decent school, but it is not Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.
Honestly, I'd say its rep is just behind those 3 down here. The big difference is that most Southerners think of Harvard/Yale students as pretentious elitists, while Duke still gets some respect.
Should note I'm talking about people in general. Most employers, especially in law, know which schools are actually the best. Duke is good if you want to impress people and make them think you're super smart. When I mention law schools to people here, many are honestly shocked Duke isn't ranked 3 or 4.
Vanderbilt is only mentioned in reference to how often the Gators beat them in every sport. And I'm okay with that.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Just narrowly avoided some major halo effect.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 pm

shntn wrote:Just narrowly avoided some major halo effect.
My mum wants to come help me move for school. She's like,"You're transitioning in life and I need to be there!". Sometimes I think she forgets that I'm 31. This is the curse of being an only child. She doesn't have anyone else to fous her energies on.

ETA: Also, moar pictures Shitty. I'm living vicariously through your ASW attendance.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 pm

danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:Just narrowly avoided some major halo effect.
My mum wants to come help me move for school. She's like,"You're transitioning in life and I need to be there!". Sometimes I think she forgets that I'm 31. This is the curse of being an only child. She doesn't have anyone else to fous her energies on.

ETA: Also, moar pictures Shitty. I'm living vicariously through your ASW attendance.
I have a grand total of three, which is actually pretty impressive for me. My friends took all the pictures.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”