Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yukos » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
vman21 wrote:
az21833 wrote:i think its bc there is big wave coming weds/thurs/fri this wk


On what basis? The last 2 yrs of mylsn is not a great indicator given sample size, as has been mentioned.


On the basis of suck a D


:lol:

User avatar
honeybadger12
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby honeybadger12 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 am

Sorry if this has been answered but does anyone know exactly what time the app is due?

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
vman21 wrote:
az21833 wrote:i think its bc there is big wave coming weds/thurs/fri this wk


On what basis? The last 2 yrs of mylsn is not a great indicator given sample size, as has been mentioned.


On the basis of suck a D

vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:On the basis of suck a D


haha, fair enough :D

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 am

fwiw, the YLS admission twitter feed indicates that, last year, Dean Rangappa made calls on the following dates:

12/9/2011
12/16/2011
12/20/2011

1/17/2012
1/23/2012

2/5/2012
2/15/2012
2/26/2012

3/28-4/4/2012

This year, she didn't tweet call nights until 1/31 (although folks were obviously called before then). After 1/31, Dean Rangappa made calls on 2/7 and... that's it (at least based on the Twitter feed).

Based on what happened last year, we should expect calls this week and then calls again at the end of March.

Although, obviously, I would be more comfortable making this prediction with more data, but... oh well.

vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Maybe if we look at the join date on the YLS fb page for new members we can get an idea -- although probably very approximate -- of when calls are going out.

Based on what I see, the join dates are pretty staggered -- 2 months ago, 1 month ago, 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago, 1 week ago, and some just recently, on Monday. So perhaps calls are going out slowly and steadily and there are just no tweets, because it is only a few people per call day so far (except for 2/7)?

User avatar
callmemaybe84
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby callmemaybe84 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

callmemaybe84 wrote:Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.


isnt it just need and fafsa?

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm

az21833 wrote:
callmemaybe84 wrote:Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.


isnt it just need and fafsa?

Yeah, I'm scrambling to get it all in. You can submit them before you hear back from them.

User avatar
callmemaybe84
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby callmemaybe84 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 pm

sabanist wrote:
az21833 wrote:
callmemaybe84 wrote:Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.


isnt it just need and fafsa?

Yeah, I'm scrambling to get it all in. You can submit them before you hear back from them.


Should we submit before we hear back? I feel like its a bit presumptuous...

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 pm

callmemaybe84 wrote:
sabanist wrote:
az21833 wrote:
callmemaybe84 wrote:Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.


isnt it just need and fafsa?

Yeah, I'm scrambling to get it all in. You can submit them before you hear back from them.


Should we submit before we hear back? I feel like its a bit presumptuous...


I think Yale is just FAFSA. I already submitted mine with the rest of my financial aid forms. I thought it would be pretty impossible (for me at least) to submit forms as I got acceptances, so I just did it all at once. I don't think you are burdening the office by adding them to your FAFSA list.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Have we taken into account how late Yale's app opened this year? Historically this week has been huge, but I don't think historically Yale opens Nov. 1.

User avatar
yarsten
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby yarsten » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm

callmemaybe84 wrote:
sabanist wrote:
az21833 wrote:
callmemaybe84 wrote:Hey y'all, quick question:

Do we have to apply for Fin Aid before March 15 if we haven't heard back yet? I'm a november complete...but just wondering what we are supposed to do, I can't find any clear instruction on their website. I'd imagine we only apply if we get in, but still just wondering.


isnt it just need and fafsa?

Yeah, I'm scrambling to get it all in. You can submit them before you hear back from them.


Should we submit before we hear back? I feel like its a bit presumptuous...


I know I read somewhere (I think it was a snail mail Yale brochure) that you actually should send your FAFSA/Need Access to Yale even if you haven't been admitted yet. They expect this kind of thing, so don't worry about it. I sent all my stuff already.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sabanist » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Yale Law Admissions ‏@ylsadmissions
In light of the problems some of you are having in reaching LSAC's website, we have extended our application deadline to Monday, March 4.

I got all excited seeing them tweet, only to be crushed that it wasn't a phone call announcement :(

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

sabanist wrote:
Yale Law Admissions ‏@ylsadmissions
In light of the problems some of you are having in reaching LSAC's website, we have extended our application deadline to Monday, March 4.

I got all excited seeing them tweet, only to be crushed that it wasn't a phone call announcement :(


Such a tease.

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pacifica » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:33 pm

yarsten wrote:
I know I read somewhere (I think it was a snail mail Yale brochure) that you actually should send your FAFSA/Need Access to Yale even if you haven't been admitted yet. They expect this kind of thing, so don't worry about it. I sent all my stuff already.



Yea send it. The NeedAccess directions for YLS specifically says they'll just ignore your forms until you've been admitted (in nicer words of course)

vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm

3 ppl added to YLS fb group 4 hrs ago, not that that means anything...

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

i guess calls are going out then. darn

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:59 pm

I don't think see... They seemed committed to that whole tweeting thing beforehand I thought

User avatar
robot_socrates
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby robot_socrates » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 pm

az21833 wrote:i guess calls are going out then. darn


I don't think we can necessarily claim that calls have gone out just because three people joined the facebook group. Is joining the facebook group really what people do as soon as they get into Yale?

vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

robot_socrates wrote:I don't think we can necessarily claim that calls have gone out just because three people joined the facebook group. Is joining the facebook group really what people do as soon as they get into Yale?


That is a fair point -- except that it has been more or less like clockwork that every few days for some time now 3-4 new members will join. Somehow it seems unlikely that stragglers from 2/7 would join FB so systematically. I think we can infer that calls are trickling out. Perhaps they plan to admit tiny groups every few days instead of large groups this year, or - maybe more likely - they plan to do both, and will only tweet prior to large #'s of calls. Who knows?

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bbsg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 am

So not to jinx anything here, but just in CASE I happen to be so-ridiculously-fortunate:

I'm interviewing for a scholarship at NYU in early April. By April 10th I should know if I received it. However, I'm only submitting my Yale app tomorrow. I don't anticipate they'll have reviewed me by April 10th? The NYU scholarship has a firm 3-day timeframe to accept. If I do get the NYU scholarship, is there absolutely nothing I can do at that point if I'm still pending at Yale?

If I knew the details of the NYU bit and the quick turn-around on it, I certainly would have applied to Yale earlier. Gah.

In a worst case scenario I receive neither. My second-worst case scenario, though, would be withdrawing from Yale (my dream school) because NYU ties my hands up here...

vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 am

bbsg wrote:So not to jinx anything here, but just in CASE I happen to be so-ridiculously-fortunate:

I'm interviewing for a scholarship at NYU in early April. By April 10th I should know if I received it. However, I'm only submitting my Yale app tomorrow. I don't anticipate they'll have reviewed me by April 10th? The NYU scholarship has a firm 3-day timeframe to accept. If I do get the NYU scholarship, is there absolutely nothing I can do at that point if I'm still pending at Yale?

If I knew the details of the NYU bit and the quick turn-around on it, I certainly would have applied to Yale earlier. Gah.

In a worst case scenario I receive neither. My second-worst case scenario, though, would be withdrawing from Yale (my dream school) because NYU ties my hands up here..


You can accept NYU scholarship and also accept Yale -- Asha's blog posts might help you out here:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bbsg » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 am

vman21 wrote:
bbsg wrote:So not to jinx anything here, but just in CASE I happen to be so-ridiculously-fortunate:

I'm interviewing for a scholarship at NYU in early April. By April 10th I should know if I received it. However, I'm only submitting my Yale app tomorrow. I don't anticipate they'll have reviewed me by April 10th? The NYU scholarship has a firm 3-day timeframe to accept. If I do get the NYU scholarship, is there absolutely nothing I can do at that point if I'm still pending at Yale?

If I knew the details of the NYU bit and the quick turn-around on it, I certainly would have applied to Yale earlier. Gah.

In a worst case scenario I receive neither. My second-worst case scenario, though, would be withdrawing from Yale (my dream school) because NYU ties my hands up here..


You can accept NYU scholarship and also accept Yale -- Asha's blog posts might help you out here:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... power.aspx


Oh wow, that was an excellent read. Thank you so much!

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 am

vman21 wrote:
robot_socrates wrote:I don't think we can necessarily claim that calls have gone out just because three people joined the facebook group. Is joining the facebook group really what people do as soon as they get into Yale?


That is a fair point -- except that it has been more or less like clockwork that every few days for some time now 3-4 new members will join. Somehow it seems unlikely that stragglers from 2/7 would join FB so systematically. I think we can infer that calls are trickling out. Perhaps they plan to admit tiny groups every few days instead of large groups this year, or - maybe more likely - they plan to do both, and will only tweet prior to large #'s of calls. Who knows?

I'd imagine people have to request to join, so this makes perfect sense, actually - over the period of a few days, admitted students request to join, and every few days some admin approves their request.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Cjsanders2, Google [Bot], SweetTort and 5 guests