Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dcg2120

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby dcg2120 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm

jselson wrote:"In analyzing the representation of sexual consent in the arts, sincerity and authenticity are the most often-cited critical justifications. However, as Judith Butler has asserted, authenticity is a poor critical mechanism as it privileges hegenomic structures at the expense of the queer. Within the legal sphere, the emphasis on the moment of the giving of consent also privileges those structures that turn human relationships into forms of contract. Butler's famous notion of "gender performativity" may help in crafting a new understanding of artists' and society's approaches to consent, one that recognizes its epistemological and ontological limits.

For example, the rock artist Meat Loaf’s highly theatrical and campy approach to consent in “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” recognizes and plays with the fluidity of the objects of consent’s intentionality by leaving ambiguous the question of precisely what “that” is. The cosmological focus on hell, the planets, dreams, and prayer reveals the ideological parameters that craft what individuals recognize as needing consent as well as the terms of that consent, and yet also recognizes the unconscious drives that prevent intentionality from ever attaining the pure rationality of the contract: “Some nights I lose the feeling, / Some nights I lose control, / Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls.” Meat Loaf moves from the role of victim to that of voyeur and magus as his ability to communicate his intentions dissipates. Intentionality in consent laws is a normative legal fiction that assumes a stable identity, and yet the concept of performativity as it is embodied in art shows that identities always remain contextual."

Hey, even if you don't get into Yale, your numbers are almost certain to get you into Harvard and Stanford.

And, you know, two out of three ain't bad.

I'm so sorry

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Almost two weeks without a peep? Maybe gearing up for another big round of dings :| ?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

yls dings are the most liberating things in the world

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
jselson wrote:"In analyzing the representation of sexual consent in the arts, sincerity and authenticity are the most often-cited critical justifications. However, as Judith Butler has asserted, authenticity is a poor critical mechanism as it privileges hegenomic structures at the expense of the queer. Within the legal sphere, the emphasis on the moment of the giving of consent also privileges those structures that turn human relationships into forms of contract. Butler's famous notion of "gender performativity" may help in crafting a new understanding of artists' and society's approaches to consent, one that recognizes its epistemological and ontological limits.

For example, the rock artist Meat Loaf’s highly theatrical and campy approach to consent in “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” recognizes and plays with the fluidity of the objects of consent’s intentionality by leaving ambiguous the question of precisely what “that” is. The cosmological focus on hell, the planets, dreams, and prayer reveals the ideological parameters that craft what individuals recognize as needing consent as well as the terms of that consent, and yet also recognizes the unconscious drives that prevent intentionality from ever attaining the pure rationality of the contract: “Some nights I lose the feeling, / Some nights I lose control, / Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls.” Meat Loaf moves from the role of victim to that of voyeur and magus as his ability to communicate his intentions dissipates. Intentionality in consent laws is a normative legal fiction that assumes a stable identity, and yet the concept of performativity as it is embodied in art shows that identities always remain contextual."

Hey, even if you don't get into Yale, your numbers are almost certain to get you into Harvard and Stanford.

I'm so sorry

Not to be a wet blanket, but SLS is also unpredictable even with high numbers: http://myLSN.info/cae5l1. HLS should be a lock, though.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:56 pm

az21833 wrote:yls dings are the most liberating things in the world

?

Did you get one??

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
dcg2120 wrote:

I'm so sorry

Not to be a wet blanket, but SLS is also unpredictable even with high numbers: http://myLSN.info/cae5l1. HLS should be a lock, though.

Yeah--I was going to edit that post after checking myLSN, but you took the words right out of my mouth.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:27 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
az21833 wrote:yls dings are the most liberating things in the world

?

Did you get one??

nah not yet. dreamin of the day though

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm

dcg2120 wrote:

I'm so sorry

Guys, my post was over 250 words.

ie, tip-off that it was a joke.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Omg, I'm so sorry AZ, I just got your jokes ... I feel like a sinner before the gates of heaven.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm not having the best day, my reading abilities are failing me.

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 pm

jselson wrote:
dcg2120 wrote:

I'm so sorry

Guys, my post was over 250 words.

ie, tip-off that it was a joke.

Oh, for crying out loud.

kertz

Postby kertz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Does anyone know how many people have been admitted so far? Yale's application closes in like a week...

Postby 04102014 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Obsessively refreshing Twitter...

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Obsessively refreshing Twitter...

My guess is that Thursday/Friday there will be action again.

je12345

Postby je12345 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Well, last year's FB group has 252 members. There were 245 net admits last year, and there are a few admissions officers and students who are members that make up that difference. (There's probably a few people who also don't have Facebook and others who left the group.)

This year's group has 85 members, and I'd say that's probably pretty reasonable right now. Much of the communication with admits goes out via the Facebook group, so it doesn't make sense to not be a part of it. According to the YLS website, the majority of decisions are sent out between mid-March and mid-April.

Postby 04102014 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Obsessively refreshing Twitter...

My guess is that Thursday/Friday there will be action again.

Yeah, I'm guessing (hoping?) for Wednesday or Thursday.

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 pm

just finished my 250 essay and sent my app in, thankful most of Yale's decisions come later!

Postby 04102014 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm

I have this completely irrational hope that I will be amongst the few. I wonder if everyone feels this before they are ultimately told that they aren't good enough.

It kind of makes me hate myself.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:I have this completely irrational hope that I will be amongst the few. I wonder if everyone feels this before they are ultimately told that they aren't good enough.

I think it's perfectly normal...

Always the hope there of being the exception...

And then....

--ImageRemoved--

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I think it's perfectly normal...

And then....

--ImageRemoved--

This is too cute, this may make up for any future rejections I will receive.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I think it's perfectly normal...

And then....

--ImageRemoved--

This is too cute, this may make up for any future rejections I will receive.

+1

domino

Postby domino » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:I have this completely irrational hope that I will be amongst the few. I wonder if everyone feels this before they are ultimately told that they aren't good enough.

And then....

--ImageRemoved--

OMG noooooo who could reject him

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 pm

domino wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

And then....

--ImageRemoved--

OMG noooooo who could reject him

Asha would. Asha would reject him via email, letter, and howler.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Asha would. Asha would reject him via email, letter, and howler.

:lol:

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Asha would. Asha would reject him via email, letter, and howler.

:lol:
Confession time: I spent all of the tenth year of my life waiting for my Hogwarts letter. :oops:

I had a weird dream last night that there was a sort of interview Olympics for all of the remaining applicants. I woke up expecting a decision and was deeply disappointed :lol:
Now I'm even more anxious for movement. Anyone up for some pointless speculation?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”