Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManOfTheMinute

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Dude, too late. Asha has an admissions minion constantly refreshing/printing this thread.

I don't factor Y into my decision making... in my mind, its a "well if it happens, I'll deal with it then." Y's admissions are too unknown. Also, housing at SLS is simple - Munger. Housing at HLS is the bitch.

January finds out in March/April

callmemaybe84

Postby callmemaybe84 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

I agree with Worm. Yale is a very unpredictable process. But they are remarkably transparent about their remarkably unpredictable admissions methodology. Just apply, consider your other options, and if Yale accepts you--your choice becomes enviably harder.

You're in the ballpark, [redacted], but there are a lot of us in the ballpark who simply have no idea whether or not we will get in. As for me, I'm enjoying these few months where I can still dream of YLS, but I'm of course figuring out what by best "other" option will be (and, as is the case with you, it's a damn good second choice).

So basically, calm down and wait like the rest of us, and you'll know by the end of April.

applemaroon

Postby applemaroon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:40 pm

applemaroon wrote:I will worry forever about this, so I might as well ask you guys:

I mailed my fee waiver request form to Yale a day before sending in the application online. Never heard back about whether they granted the waiver request, but did get an email saying that my application is complete. So, can I safely assume they gave me the fee waiver and everything is good? Sorry to be uber paranoid. :D

Did you pay the application fee when you submitted? If so, you're not getting your money back, no.

applemaroon

Postby applemaroon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 pm

I liked it better when Yale didn't tweet out when it was going to do admit calls. There was something therapeutic about not knowing when I'd hear anything, and that just one day completely out of the blue either I'd get a phone call and be in or an email and be rejected. Now I find myself checking the YLS twitter feed daily. Pick it up Yale!

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I liked it better when Yale didn't tweet out when it was going to do admit calls. There was something therapeutic about not knowing when I'd hear anything, and that just one day completely out of the blue either I'd get a phone call and be in or an email and be rejected. Now I find myself checking the YLS twitter feed daily. Pick it up Yale!

You can re-create a lack of knowledge by not checking the twitter feed...

bookside

Postby bookside » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Too late to apply?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 pm

bookside wrote:Too late to apply?

Not even close!!

bookside

Postby bookside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:01 am

Wormfather wrote:

Its never too late to apply. Asha has explicitly stated that if you would get in in November you would get in in march. In fact she cited an example of someone applying at the wire and getting in even though the class was more or less set...or something to that effect.

Sweeeeeeet. Now to figure out a topic for that darn 250er...

bookside

Postby bookside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 am

Wormfather wrote:
bookside wrote:
Wormfather wrote:

Its never too late to apply. Asha has explicitly stated that if you would get in in November you would get in in march. In fact she cited an example of someone applying at the wire and getting in even though the class was more or less set...or something to that effect.

Sweeeeeeet. Now to figure out a topic for that darn 250er...

Talk about the a time when you first realized that you were talented. End it with something along the lines of:

[this experience] is what taught me that I have the potential to excel, to be the best. I'm not there yet, but I am without doubt pointed in the right direction.

...is this a reference to something, or a genuine suggestion?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 am

what was your academic topic? i went personal and feel like i should have went academic

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 am

My 250 sucked. I was disappointed in myself for not coming up with something better, but I waited for brilliance to strike for like six months then end of December just decided I needed to write something. Also, I was so tired of the appliaction process by the time I wrote it that it just wasn't my best effort. Should've done it when I had a lot of steam in the tank over the summer and early fall.

bookside

Postby bookside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 am

Wormfather wrote:Genuine suggestion. I went the academic route, but I'm regretting it now. I wished I had written about the need to make law more accessable to the public. To somehow bridge that gap between the law and the lay.

With numbers that are certainly sub-Yale (170/3.8x), I was thinking of going academic to show that I am, in fact, intelligent. Do you think personal is a better idea?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 am

bookside wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Genuine suggestion. I went the academic route, but I'm regretting it now. I wished I had written about the need to make law more accessable to the public. To somehow bridge that gap between the law and the lay.

With numbers that are certainly sub-Yale (170/3.8x), I was thinking of going academic to show that I am, in fact, intelligent. Do you think personal is a better idea?

No one can help you with that choice... just do whatever 250 you can write better in the short time frame. Honestly, the whole show of intelligence should come through in your LORs; if it doesn't, you won't get in no matter how lofty and whatnot your 250 is because no one will believe that you wrote it.

Worm, your 250 was solid. Get outta here!

Note: I also went academic... I'm not regretting it though cuz I'm content with SLS

titansfan

Postby titansfan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 am

bookside, I went personal and worried that I might come off as naive / idealistic. Whichever way you go you probably end up wondering if you made the right call. Just let a couple people read it and gauge their reactions. (I and I'm sure many others on the forum wouldn't mind reading it and giving you feedback -- PM me if you want.)

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

bookside wrote:

The route that produces the best 250 is the better idea.

I suggest outlining more than one 250 and seeing which one turns out to be the most promising. This approach is also a stress-reliever (or it was for me, at least), since you're giving yourself freedom to play around with different ideas instead of fixating on achieving perfection with a single preselected topic.

volp

Postby volp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Recent posts it are relevant to my interests. Submitting that bad boy ASAP!!

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 pm

For my 250, I did an academic-style essay analyzing the relevance of multiple state consent laws in interpreting Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)."

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm

jselson wrote:For my 250, I did an academic-style essay analyzing the relevance of multiple state consent laws in interpreting Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)."

Hahahahahahaha please, please send this to me!

domino

Postby domino » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 pm

bookside wrote:

FWIW, I took the 250 as a chance to convey qualities outside of the ones I assume adcomms look for in everybody (intelligence, work ethic, curiosity, respectful attitude toward opportunities and peers, etc.). Kind of like if I had a daughter, I would want to focus much of my praise not on her being pretty or smart, but instead on the good things that made her "her"--that she was warm, creative, or what have you. Show your personality!

Doesn't say much about whether to go with a personal topic, because you can convey what's special about you while talking about a lot of different things, but maybe useful to consider when writing.

^^Just saw the above, died
Last edited by domino on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 pm

"In analyzing the representation of sexual consent in the arts, sincerity and authenticity are the most often-cited critical justifications. However, as Judith Butler has asserted, authenticity is a poor critical mechanism as it privileges hegenomic structures at the expense of the queer. Within the legal sphere, the emphasis on the moment of the giving of consent also privileges those structures that turn human relationships into forms of contract. Butler's famous notion of "gender performativity" may help in crafting a new understanding of artists' and society's approaches to consent, one that recognizes its epistemological and ontological limits.

For example, the rock artist Meat Loaf’s highly theatrical and campy approach to consent in “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” recognizes and plays with the fluidity of the objects of consent’s intentionality by leaving ambiguous the question of precisely what “that” is. The cosmological focus on hell, the planets, dreams, and prayer reveals the ideological parameters that craft what individuals recognize as needing consent as well as the terms of that consent, and yet also recognizes the unconscious drives that prevent intentionality from ever attaining the pure rationality of the contract: “Some nights I lose the feeling, / Some nights I lose control, / Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls.” Meat Loaf moves from the role of victim to that of voyeur and magus as his ability to communicate his intentions dissipates. Intentionality in consent laws is a normative legal fiction that assumes a stable identity, and yet the concept of performativity as it is embodied in art shows that identities always remain contextual."

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 pm

jselson wrote:"In analyzing the representation of sexual consent in the arts, sincerity and authenticity are the most often-cited critical justifications. However, as Judith Butler has asserted, authenticity is a poor critical mechanism as it privileges hegenomic structures at the expense of the queer. Within the legal sphere, the emphasis on the moment of the giving of consent also privileges those structures that turn human relationships into forms of contract. Butler's famous notion of "gender performativity" may help in crafting a new understanding of artists' and society's approaches to consent, one that recognizes its epistemological and ontological limits.

For example, the rock artist Meat Loaf’s highly theatrical and campy approach to consent in “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” recognizes and plays with the fluidity of the objects of consent’s intentionality by leaving ambiguous the question of precisely what “that” is. The cosmological focus on hell, the planets, dreams, and prayer reveals the ideological parameters that craft what individuals recognize as needing consent as well as the terms of that consent, and yet also recognizes the unconscious drives that prevent intentionality from ever attaining the pure rationality of the contract: “Some nights I lose the feeling, / Some nights I lose control, / Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls.” Meat Loaf moves from the role of victim to that of voyeur and magus as his ability to communicate his intentions dissipates. Intentionality in consent laws is a normative legal fiction that assumes a stable identity, and yet the concept of performativity as it is embodied in art shows that identities always remain contextual."

Even if you don't get in, this will be on display in their offices for years to come.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 am

mrizza wrote:
jselson wrote:"In analyzing the representation of sexual consent in the arts, sincerity and authenticity are the most often-cited critical justifications. However, as Judith Butler has asserted, authenticity is a poor critical mechanism as it privileges hegenomic structures at the expense of the queer. Within the legal sphere, the emphasis on the moment of the giving of consent also privileges those structures that turn human relationships into forms of contract. Butler's famous notion of "gender performativity" may help in crafting a new understanding of artists' and society's approaches to consent, one that recognizes its epistemological and ontological limits.

Even if you don't get in, this will be on display in their offices for years to come.

I'm hoping that Jack "Bat Out of Hell" Balkin reviews my app. Prof. Balkin, I always believed in your idea that the healthcare mandate was really a tax!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”