Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vman21
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby vman21 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm

<( '.')>
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby masked kavana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Just submitted. Time to cross fingers.

As for the 250 I wrote about an incident that happened when I was a child and how it affected me. Nothing sophisticated.

hopeful16
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby hopeful16 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:12 new admits in like a two day period. They mean business.


Whattt? How has this info not made it to TLS/LSN?


Hmmm, maybe they're deferrals or something. Honestly, this law school process is bringing out the crazy in me. I think I'll take a break from the YLS FB page.

I know at least one of the recent additions to the facebook group is a deferral, but I don't know about the others.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Wormfather wrote:All I'm gonna say is that my 250 ended with what I think is a very clever double entendre.


Do share!! No matter what you say you're gonna make it to faculty review, and only asha (aka not profs) would check TLS

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Wormfather wrote:All I'm gonna say is that my 250 ended with what I think is a very clever double entendre.


Do share!! No matter what you say you're gonna make it to faculty review, and only asha (aka not profs) would check TLS


As soon as I have a decision, I'll put the thing up in the enduring 250s thread.


in other wrods as soon as worm gets in

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

az21833 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Wormfather wrote:All I'm gonna say is that my 250 ended with what I think is a very clever double entendre.


Do share!! No matter what you say you're gonna make it to faculty review, and only asha (aka not profs) would check TLS


As soon as I have a decision, I'll put the thing up in the enduring 250s thread.


in other wrods as soon as worm gets in


He tries to play coy with us, but we see through him.

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:He tries to play coy with us, but we see through him.

Of course. Thus the double entendre instead of something more blatant. I'm sure Asha appreciated it.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

vman21 wrote:As for worries about going the academic route on the Y250, I would not stress. I think it's best to write what comes naturally. I am sure some very academic 250s are great, but I can't help but imagine that many come off sounding forced. It is not easy to make an original academic point in 250 words, esp. when your audience consists of 4 outstanding scholars (Asha +3 profs).

Not that I didn't try -- after 25 drafts on everything from the relationship between Hegelian thought and poverty to how nanorobotics will impact the law, I stopped trying to be clever and went with a simple anecdote that I learned something from.


Excellent advice. Most of the best 250s I've helped edit on this site have been non-academic. The format does not lend itself well to non-superficial academic writing, and whatever you say is unlikely to deeply impress Yale Law professors anyway.

User avatar
Jcastro1
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Jcastro1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

I wrote my 250 on a course I took in freshman year that deeply influenced me.

However, I seem to think this is stereotypical/something that hundreds of applicants do.

Any thoughts here?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

I wrote mine about a time when I was caught on the beach during a hurricane and watched my favorite boardwalk float away to sea, and how that experience helped shape me. Not academically impressive, but I figured I couldn't possibly top any of the other applicants with my academic experiences so I decided to just have fun with it and use it as an exploratory piece.

Caveat: I have not gotten in so far.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
vman21 wrote:As for worries about going the academic route on the Y250, I would not stress. I think it's best to write what comes naturally. I am sure some very academic 250s are great, but I can't help but imagine that many come off sounding forced. It is not easy to make an original academic point in 250 words, esp. when your audience consists of 4 outstanding scholars (Asha +3 profs).

Not that I didn't try -- after 25 drafts on everything from the relationship between Hegelian thought and poverty to how nanorobotics will impact the law, I stopped trying to be clever and went with a simple anecdote that I learned something from.


Excellent advice. Most of the best 250s I've helped edit on this site have been non-academic. The format does not lend itself well to non-superficial academic writing, and whatever you say is unlikely to deeply impress Yale Law professors anyway.


Uh-oh, I went academic. It tied into the "theme" of my app, but still kinda worried now...

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I did the worst of both worlds: I procrastinated until January and then wanted to submitted before it got to much later so rushed my 250. So I pretty much everyone else in this thread can take solace in the fact that you're smarter than me :)

My 250 was about living very close to a terrorist act, and my complicated sympathy for/rejection of the terrorists that developed as I got older.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Yukos wrote:My 250 was about living very close to a terrorist act, and my complicated sympathy for/rejection of the terrorists that developed as I got older.

Got it.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 pm

EDIT: Since someone pointed out in another thread that Asha specifically reads TLS, I think I'll just let my 250 speak for itself until I get an admissions decision :)

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Yukos wrote:EDIT: Since someone pointed out in another thread that Asha specifically reads TLS, I think I'll just let my 250 speak for itself until I get an admissions decision :)


Then don't you wanna delete/edit your posts about the topic?

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Yukos » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Well it's already been quoted and I'm not so worried about outing myself. It's more that it's a somewhat controversial subject and I don't want to make comments about the topic that are stronger than my 250 is.

Also, it has nothing to do with the US.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:35 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
vman21 wrote:As for worries about going the academic route on the Y250, I would not stress. I think it's best to write what comes naturally. I am sure some very academic 250s are great, but I can't help but imagine that many come off sounding forced. It is not easy to make an original academic point in 250 words, esp. when your audience consists of 4 outstanding scholars (Asha +3 profs).

Not that I didn't try -- after 25 drafts on everything from the relationship between Hegelian thought and poverty to how nanorobotics will impact the law, I stopped trying to be clever and went with a simple anecdote that I learned something from.


Excellent advice. Most of the best 250s I've helped edit on this site have been non-academic. The format does not lend itself well to non-superficial academic writing, and whatever you say is unlikely to deeply impress Yale Law professors anyway.


Uh-oh, I went academic. It tied into the "theme" of my app, but still kinda worried now...


Mine was pseudo-academic. Don't sweat this stuff now that it's in. Plenty of people write acdemic 250s and get in, even if it's not necessarily the credited advice.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
vman21 wrote:As for worries about going the academic route on the Y250, I would not stress. I think it's best to write what comes naturally. I am sure some very academic 250s are great, but I can't help but imagine that many come off sounding forced. It is not easy to make an original academic point in 250 words, esp. when your audience consists of 4 outstanding scholars (Asha +3 profs).

Not that I didn't try -- after 25 drafts on everything from the relationship between Hegelian thought and poverty to how nanorobotics will impact the law, I stopped trying to be clever and went with a simple anecdote that I learned something from.


Excellent advice. Most of the best 250s I've helped edit on this site have been non-academic. The format does not lend itself well to non-superficial academic writing, and whatever you say is unlikely to deeply impress Yale Law professors anyway.


Uh-oh, I went academic. It tied into the "theme" of my app, but still kinda worried now...


No, don't worry. I shouldn't have expressed that so categorically. Many successful applicants write academic 250s. I was trying to push back against the concern people were showing about having not written academically oriented 250s.

bleepbloop
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby bleepbloop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 am

If anyone is curious about the representation of the undergraduate institutions students at YLS attended, check out this link:

http://www.yale.edu/printer/bulletin/ht ... dents.html

It has the total number of YLS students from each undergrad represented (1L, 2L, and 3L) last year--this year's 1L class is not included. Always interesting to see where Yale is drawing its students from.

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pacifica » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 am

bleepbloop wrote:If anyone is curious about the representation of the undergraduate institutions students at YLS attended, check out this link:

http://www.yale.edu/printer/bulletin/ht ... dents.html

It has the total number of YLS students from each undergrad represented (1L, 2L, and 3L) last year--this year's 1L class is not included. Always interesting to see where Yale is drawing its students from.


lol, HYP adds up to 205. That's one entire class if I'm not mistaken...

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 am

Looks like we're due a lot of rejections this week... or next at the latest. SOOOO exciting.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Looks like we're due a lot of rejections this week... or next at the latest. SOOOO exciting.


You know which day they handed those bad boys out last year?

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 am

ssanonymous wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Looks like we're due a lot of rejections this week... or next at the latest. SOOOO exciting.


You know which day they handed those bad boys out last year?


It got sent out in the mail on Monday February 6th, so people started receiving them on 2/7.

Given this, I guess Asha will start dinging on 2/4 (or 2/11 at the latest)

User avatar
rehsalt
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rehsalt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 am

pacifica wrote:
bleepbloop wrote:If anyone is curious about the representation of the undergraduate institutions students at YLS attended, check out this link:

http://www.yale.edu/printer/bulletin/ht ... dents.html

It has the total number of YLS students from each undergrad represented (1L, 2L, and 3L) last year--this year's 1L class is not included. Always interesting to see where Yale is drawing its students from.


lol, HYP adds up to 205. That's one entire class if I'm not mistaken...

Yup. And from all eight Ivies you have 293. If you add Stanford, Berkeley and Chicago you get 354 from 11 schools.

Good luck to the rest of us.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Looks like we're due a lot of rejections this week... or next at the latest. SOOOO exciting.


You know which day they handed those bad boys out last year?


It got sent out in the mail on Monday February 6th, so people started receiving them on 2/7.

Given this, I guess Asha will start dinging on 2/4 (or 2/11 at the latest)


Thanks for the info. I thought applicants got rejected via email.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”