Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Re: Yale c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

hdivine wrote:Maybe this isn't the best place for this comment, but as it's particularly important for those of us top-tier hopefuls, I thought it was worth presenting.

I found this: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ReaganRepub22

The profile is obvious piffle. Nobody turns down half the school's in the T14 for some fourth-tier school, and nobody (I hope) gets into Yale with such a callous disregard for basic grammar. While this one is obvious, though, how reliable can we expect other LSN profiles to be? And how much should we rely on that data for schools like Yale when the representative sample sizes are small?
I don't think LSN is useful for schools like Yale, but not for the reason that there are fake profiles (I'd imagine those are relatively few) but because Yale doesn't seem to care as much about numbers as some schools and because there are so few data points. For basically every other school (except Stanford) LSN is pretty useful.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:58 am

sinfiery wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I really need to get my shit together and submit this bad boy
Same

Ahh yes, never again will we be able to procrastinate as we can now. Enjoy the freedom.
Never again, except for first semester 1L when you're at YLS!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:10 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I really need to get my shit together and submit this bad boy
Same

Ahh yes, never again will we be able to procrastinate as we can now. Enjoy the freedom.
Never again, except for first semester 1L when you're at YLS!
Too much want..

Never have I wished I had an Olympic medal or stepped on the moon or something more than now

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi I submitted mid last week. Received no email from Yale or anything like that. They don't email a confirmation of receipt? No status checker either? Do they wait for the paper application to be mailed in by LSAC?

Thanks. A little worried, since I've never heard back on a recept of application so late after I've submitted...

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:31 pm

shakespeare wrote:Hi I submitted mid last week. Received no email from Yale or anything like that. They don't email a confirmation of receipt? No status checker either? Do they wait for the paper application to be mailed in by LSAC?

Thanks. A little worried, since I've never heard back on a recept of application so late after I've submitted...
They send an email when your application is complete. Mine took a week and I applied pretty early on, so I don't think you should worry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Got it. Thanks so much!

I'll wait a full week before I start panicking (again)!

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:38 pm

What have you been doing since graduation essay??

Has anyone done this and how detailed has it been, length, etc? i don't want to restate my Resume but i have been working since graduation 2 years ago and not much else other than playing polo/rowing in the local area.

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 pm

UMich11 wrote:What have you been doing since graduation essay??

Has anyone done this and how detailed has it been, length, etc? i don't want to restate my Resume but i have been working since graduation 2 years ago and not much else other than playing polo/rowing in the local area.
A good friend of mine wrote two pages about his job and how his new perspective from his job will help him as a lawyer. He was at an econ consulting firm. It worked out well for him because he's at Yale now.

Question: do we think calls are coming out this weekend?

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm

ssanonymous wrote:

A good friend of mine wrote two pages about his job and how his new perspective from his job will help him as a lawyer. He was at an econ consulting firm. It worked out well for him because he's at Yale now.

But there's also this from the 203 blog on TFA personal statements (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... essay.aspx):
Asha wrote:Remember that the Yale Law School application has a question (#6) which asks what you've been doing with yourself if you've been out of school for more than three months. Voila! You can take this opportunity to mention your experience with TFA, and then have a tabula rasa for your Personal Statement. What do you write about? Well, remember before TFA, when you had a life? Yeah, that. (NOTE: If you go this route, please do not insert your TFA Essay for Question 6. Keep it short, mention any pertinent facts about what you were teaching and where you were, just like on a job application. If you want to get a little more essay-y, you could try to take a nugget from your TFA experience and use it for your 250-word essay.)
I don't think it has to be any more than a paragraph, really. But there are always exceptions I guess.
Last edited by one_by_one on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T14urm

New

Post by T14urm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Checking in! Took so long to write the Yale 250. I had to make sure it was perfect. lol Good luck to all.

mgoblue2011

New

Post by mgoblue2011 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

one_by_one wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

But there's also this from the 203 blog on TFA personal statements (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... essay.aspx):
Asha wrote:Remember that the Yale Law School application has a question (#6) which asks what you've been doing with yourself if you've been out of school for more than three months. Voila! You can take this opportunity to mention your experience with TFA, and then have a tabula rasa for your Personal Statement. What do you write about? Well, remember before TFA, when you had a life? Yeah, that. (NOTE: If you go this route, please do not insert your TFA Essay for Question 6. Keep it short, mention any pertinent facts about what you were teaching and where you were, just like on a job application. If you want to get a little more essay-y, you could try to take a nugget from your TFA experience and use it for your 250-word essay.)
I don't think it has to be any more than a paragraph, really. But there are always exceptions I guess.
I was thinking of doing it about work, since that's what i've been doing since graduation aside from playing a few sports. But my PS is about the startups i started while in UG so i didn't want the ps, resume, what since school combo to all make me so one dimensional. maybe i am over thinking all this stuff...

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 am

mgoblue2011 wrote:
one_by_one wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

I was thinking of doing it about work, since that's what i've been doing since graduation aside from playing a few sports. But my PS is about the startups i started while in UG so i didn't want the ps, resume, what since school combo to all make me so one dimensional. maybe i am over thinking all this stuff...
I get where you're coming from, but that particular question is pretty straightforward. You gotta talk about your work. And it's not like you're talking about the same job multiple times, so you should be fine.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 am

one_by_one wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

I don't know what you all are talking about. The work attachment? This is not an essay...although I guess they wouldn't reject you for interpreting it that way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 am

ssanonymous wrote:

Shit, did we had to write this "essay style"? I wrote mine with bullet points and small description. I hope it doesnt hurt my application :s

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 am

Mdenis1 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

Shit, did we had to write this "essay style"? I wrote mine with bullet points and small description. I hope it doesnt hurt my application :s
No, you did it right.

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:08 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

No, you did it right.
You're fine. There is not right or wrong with these things. Again, my friend who is at Yale used that prompt as an opportunity to submit another writing sample, so he wrote a full essay. But I'm sure bullets or a little paragraph is the norm.

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Got the application is complete email. And do we think early applicants will hear next week? If so, good luck to you guys!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:44 am

I just wrote a couple of general sentences and then referred the reader to my (detailed) résumé. I got the admit call five weeks after my app went complete, so I don't think going about it this way annoyed anyone too badly.

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 pm

how long did it take you guys to go complete? I submitted 11/23 and am still pending..

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

hopeful16

New

Post by hopeful16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:59 pm

lsacqueen wrote:how long did it take you guys to go complete? I submitted 11/23 and am still pending..
It took five days from when I submitted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks for the quick replies! And Regulus, I don't think you're autoding material. You've had a fantastic cycle that exceeded your expectations so far, so don't lose hope!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 pm

So IIRC, some people started hearing back from Yale around this time last year. Any hope for that, or will it probably be later because they didn't accept applications until later this year?

ssanonymous

Silver

Post by ssanonymous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Cicero76 wrote:So IIRC, some people started hearing back from Yale around this time last year. Any hope for that, or will it probably be later because they didn't accept applications until later this year?
Yeah, this cycle might be a little more unpredictable since the apps came out pretty late. I imagine calls will go out before the break though. Last year calls went out on the 9th, 16th, and 20th. Two years ago calls went out on 6th-10th, 13th, and 20th-21st. Three years ago - 9th, 11th, 14th, and 22nd.

Good luck everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”