University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrstephens1991

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby jrstephens1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 am

JakeAsch wrote:Accepted last week after I applied on the 6th (shocked to receive such a speedy response). Given the high tuition and the amount of money Texas schools have offered me, I will probably not attend.

154; 3.9.; URM; male; TX resident.

Then withdraw.

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 am

jrstephens1991 wrote:
JakeAsch wrote:Accepted last week after I applied on the 6th (shocked to receive such a speedy response). Given the high tuition and the amount of money Texas schools have offered me, I will probably not attend.

154; 3.9.; URM; male; TX resident.

Then withdraw.

Still would like to see what scholarship they offer, but thanks for the suggestion.

danitt

Postby danitt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Officially withdrew this morning via email. I don't know what their exact procedure is so hopefully they'll let me know if I need to send anything else. Best of luck to everyone else for the rest of the cycle.

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Gforan wrote:For those of you admitted (or not I guess), can you tell me anything about the campus/area? I've heard totally different things about Coral Gables lol but just want to get some feedback... I can't readily visit b/c I'm in CA.

Coral Gables is a really nice area. Pretty diverse, but kind of expensive to live near campus (it's a ritzy area). Very close to Downtown Miami and South Beach (maybe 15-20 mins). Since the campus is right off of US1, traffic can be terrible around rush hour but I personally love the area.They have a good public transportation system called the Metrorail, which is an above ground train that goes from Hialeah to Dadeland. Coral Gables is suburban but not too far from a major city, which is great. Lots of stores and good restaurants nearby, also a serious plus.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :)

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 pm

eas09d wrote:
Gforan wrote:For those of you admitted (or not I guess), can you tell me anything about the campus/area? I've heard totally different things about Coral Gables lol but just want to get some feedback... I can't readily visit b/c I'm in CA.

Coral Gables is a really nice area. Pretty diverse, but kind of expensive to live near campus (it's a ritzy area). Very close to Downtown Miami and South Beach (maybe 15-20 mins). Since the campus is right off of US1, traffic can be terrible around rush hour but I personally love the area.They have a good public transportation system called the Metrorail, which is an above ground train that goes from Hialeah to Dadeland. Coral Gables is suburban but not too far from a major city, which is great. Lots of stores and good restaurants nearby, also a serious plus.

Thanks for the info? Is it possible to get around Coral Gables without a car?

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
eas09d wrote:

Thanks for the info? Is it possible to get around Coral Gables without a car?

Yes and no. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking from place to place around Coral Gables; it's a lot of strip malls and right off a major roadway, US1, so it's not the most pedestrian friendly area. You would probably be ok walking from campus to the strip mall across the street. However, UM does have their own bus system (not sure of their exact routes though; wouldn't be surprised if it included the grocery store, popular apartment complexes, etc.) and the Metro is helpful to go longer distances.

I know if I end up going to UM, I'll want to get a car.

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Current UM 1L here. I'm looking to provide a resource I wish I had when I was in your positions last year. Ask away.

jrstephens1991

Postby jrstephens1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Prospect wrote:Current UM 1L here. I'm looking to provide a resource I wish I had when I was in your positions last year. Ask away.

I guess the thing I'm most interested in is the employment prospects. Have you had any contact with recent graduates to find out where they place, and maybe their employment prospects in FL as compared to UF or FSU?

Prospect

Postby Prospect » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Ok so heres the truth when it comes to employment in law especially in respect to graduates from schools like UM. You are going to have to bust your ass to get good employment prospects, otherwise you WILL end up being another negative statistic. I would say top 15% are nearly guaranteed a decent job but the rest of them are going to have to fight for the scraps. Miami is a tough market because of it's international scope. Everyone wants to come down here from all over the country and work, so you will be fighting with those people also (who probably graduated from a better school.)

In short, it isn't entirely hard to get a J.D. (barely passing) but it is hard to get in the top of the class and make something out of it.

Also, if you wish to work in this locale then UM is fine but f your wanting to transfer to another state after LS it will be difficult.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am

Just got accepted!! Received an email to check my status. When I was informed I was accepted

KingsCup

Postby KingsCup » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

same, just got in. Got the email at midnight pacific time which I thought was really weird, but turned my night out into a celebration. first acceptance so its nice to get that out of the way

sofl_law

Postby sofl_law » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Accepted! LSAT 158. GPA 3.99 URM

Waiting to hear about scholarship info and the Miami Scholars program!

Riley843

Postby Riley843 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:13 pm

When I go to check my status it says "Click here to see admissions documents needed." Does that mean they haven't received everything or just there until I have a decision?

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Riley843 wrote:When I go to check my status it says "Click here to see admissions documents needed." Does that mean they haven't received everything or just there until I have a decision?

It probably means that you still have to submit certain materials. Letters of rec., transcript, LSAT score, etc.

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:36 pm

JakeAsch wrote:
Riley843 wrote:When I go to check my status it says "Click here to see admissions documents needed." Does that mean they haven't received everything or just there until I have a decision?

It probably means that you still have to submit certain materials. Letters of rec., transcript, LSAT score, etc.

No, actually it says that for everyone, until they make a decision, then there will be a link that says "View Decision Letter."

umh30

Postby umh30 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Anyone know when the scholarship info goes out?

The_Dark_Knight

Postby The_Dark_Knight » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 am

I know I'm joing this thread really late. I got in a while back. I actually forgot about this school because, unlike all the others, they send out scholarships way after they admit you. I was under the impression that they just decided not to give me one, but I read that they wait until after Christmas to dish out the dough. Glad to hear that haven't yet. I'll put them back on the list. They probably shouldn't wait so late, though. They know we have to make our decisions by April 15, right?

Korteja

Postby Korteja » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 am

So I applied at the beginning of December (Report sent 12/01) and received e-mail confirmation from LSAC saying that my packet to UM had been sent. On the same day I applied to all my other schools and a couple days later I received e-mails regarding Status Checkers from most of them. I was under the impression that UM didn't have a status checker so I didn't fret when I didn't receive anything from them. However, now I'm reading that they in fact do...I searched my inbox and spam and have definitely not received anything from them. Is this timeframe normal? What should my next step be?

BTW
Miami is my first choice, so i'd really like to get this straightened out ASAP. Thanks for the help & GOOD LUCK!

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 am

Coral Gables is just a really, really nice area. It's my fav. part of Miami. Around UM they have a lot of cafes, restaurants etc that you can easily walk to. If you want to go to the beach, Coral Gables is not too far from South Beach (15-20 mins by car).

sofl_law

Postby sofl_law » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Korteja wrote:So I applied at the beginning of December (Report sent 12/01) and received e-mail confirmation from LSAC saying that my packet to UM had been sent. On the same day I applied to all my other schools and a couple days later I received e-mails regarding Status Checkers from most of them. I was under the impression that UM didn't have a status checker so I didn't fret when I didn't receive anything from them. However, now I'm reading that they in fact do...I searched my inbox and spam and have definitely not received anything from them. Is this timeframe normal? What should my next step be?

BTW
Miami is my first choice, so i'd really like to get this straightened out ASAP. Thanks for the help & GOOD LUCK!

You have to login to myUM and then you can see the status of your JD app but it's not a traditional status checker. It will redirect you to LSAC until you get an e-mail from them saying that a decision has been made. Then it'll say whether you've been accepted/denied/waitlisted.

BTW my stats were pretty much the same so chances are you'll get in. I did. =)

Korteja

Postby Korteja » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:26 pm

sofl_law wrote:
Korteja wrote:So I applied at the beginning of December (Report sent 12/01) and received e-mail confirmation from LSAC saying that my packet to UM had been sent. On the same day I applied to all my other schools and a couple days later I received e-mails regarding Status Checkers from most of them. I was under the impression that UM didn't have a status checker so I didn't fret when I didn't receive anything from them. However, now I'm reading that they in fact do...I searched my inbox and spam and have definitely not received anything from them. Is this timeframe normal? What should my next step be?

BTW

You have to login to myUM and then you can see the status of your JD app but it's not a traditional status checker. It will redirect you to LSAC until you get an e-mail from them saying that a decision has been made. Then it'll say whether you've been accepted/denied/waitlisted.

But how do I log in? I was never sent any kind of log-in information!! :(

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Korteja wrote:
sofl_law wrote:

BTW

But how do I log in? I was never sent any kind of log-in information!! :(

UM is different from other schools in that I'm pretty sure they require LSAC to send them a hard copy of your application (which obviously takes a few days going through snail mail). Once they receive a hard copy and process it, you will get an email saying your application is complete with a link to their status checker. I believe from submit date to confirmation email it should take a little over a week. But if you're still worried, I would give their admissions office a call.

Chief Littlebighead

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Got in today. 155 lsat 3.47 gpa. Non-traditional student with good work xp. Complete 11/28.

nolongermissing

Postby nolongermissing » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:02 pm

anyone else get an email regarding scholarship $$ today? They said I should expect a package in the mail sometime this week.

kmarie

Postby kmarie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm

nolongermissing wrote:anyone else get an email regarding scholarship $$ today? They said I should expect a package in the mail sometime this week.

yup, got the email today. its going to my apt and I'm home for break so I'm going to see if I can get a friend to check my mail

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”