University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
michelle8184
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby michelle8184 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 am

NoMistakes wrote:has anyone who has sent in additional documents while on the "hold" status get a return email saying they have been recieved?



I sent in additional info a couple of weeks ago with no response.

NoMistakes
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby NoMistakes » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm

michelle8184 wrote:
NoMistakes wrote:has anyone who has sent in additional documents while on the "hold" status get a return email saying they have been recieved?



I sent in additional info a couple of weeks ago with no response.


I was just wondering because I did the same...I called them to inquire, they transferred me like 3 times then put me on hold for 5 min and said that they received my additions and that the file was updated...I dont really know if they checked because the lady sounded annoyed...LOL

mikeam
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby mikeam » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Did anyone receive their financial information online or was it all via snail mail? I'm particularly wondering about merit aid because I haven't received anything yet.

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm

mikeam wrote:Did anyone receive their financial information online or was it all via snail mail? I'm particularly wondering about merit aid because I haven't received anything yet.


Via snail mail

bude0010
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby bude0010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Has anyone accepted Miami Scholars yet? The program sounds great but that's still a lot of debt for a public interest career.

NoMistakes
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby NoMistakes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm

what is the date of the 1st seat deposit?

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:35 pm

bude0010 wrote:Has anyone accepted Miami Scholars yet? The program sounds great but that's still a lot of debt for a public interest career.


I have. Anything more anywhere else would be a full ride, which would probably mean a TTT. Also, there's a federal program that forgives your loan debt if you do public interest work for 10 years. If you decide to not pursue a career in PI, I'd assume you're making enough to pay back tuition of 10k a year.

bude0010
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby bude0010 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 am

Aroldis105 wrote:
bude0010 wrote:Has anyone accepted Miami Scholars yet? The program sounds great but that's still a lot of debt for a public interest career.


I have. Anything more anywhere else would be a full ride, which would probably mean a TTT. Also, there's a federal program that forgives your loan debt if you do public interest work for 10 years. If you decide to not pursue a career in PI, I'd assume you're making enough to pay back tuition of 10k a year.


I will also be paying COL on my own. My parents aren't helping with anything and what I have saved from my current non profit job won't last long. I'm from MN so I also have to figure in flights, etc. I have a great scholarship at a local school here which would only leave me with 40K but I'm really drawn to the U and the Scholars program. The money part just leaves me hesitant to commit.

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:40 am

bude0010 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:
bude0010 wrote:Has anyone accepted Miami Scholars yet? The program sounds great but that's still a lot of debt for a public interest career.


I have. Anything more anywhere else would be a full ride, which would probably mean a TTT. Also, there's a federal program that forgives your loan debt if you do public interest work for 10 years. If you decide to not pursue a career in PI, I'd assume you're making enough to pay back tuition of 10k a year.


I will also be paying COL on my own. My parents aren't helping with anything and what I have saved from my current non profit job won't last long. I'm from MN so I also have to figure in flights, etc. I have a great scholarship at a local school here which would only leave me with 40K but I'm really drawn to the U and the Scholars program. The money part just leaves me hesitant to commit.


I'm sorry for being presumptuous, thats a really tough call. I've figured that with the MS program COL over three years would be around 80k-85k, more or less given your standard of living. The smart decision is probably staying in MN. The more exciting proposition would be going to Miami. Only you can make that decision. Good luck!

User avatar
schmoxy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby schmoxy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
mikeam wrote:Did anyone receive their financial information online or was it all via snail mail? I'm particularly wondering about merit aid because I haven't received anything yet.


Via snail mail



snail mail- but you can ask for an electronic copy to expedite the process

bude0010
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby bude0010 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
bude0010 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:
bude0010 wrote:Has anyone accepted Miami Scholars yet? The program sounds great but that's still a lot of debt for a public interest career.


I have. Anything more anywhere else would be a full ride, which would probably mean a TTT. Also, there's a federal program that forgives your loan debt if you do public interest work for 10 years. If you decide to not pursue a career in PI, I'd assume you're making enough to pay back tuition of 10k a year.


I will also be paying COL on my own. My parents aren't helping with anything and what I have saved from my current non profit job won't last long. I'm from MN so I also have to figure in flights, etc. I have a great scholarship at a local school here which would only leave me with 40K but I'm really drawn to the U and the Scholars program. The money part just leaves me hesitant to commit.


I'm sorry for being presumptuous, thats a really tough call. I've figured that with the MS program COL over three years would be around 80k-85k, more or less given your standard of living. The smart decision is probably staying in MN. The more exciting proposition would be going to Miami. Only you can make that decision. Good luck!


Such a tough decision! Were you able to speak with any Scholars alumni?

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes I was, it was reassuring. You can PM me if you want and I can send you what they sent me.

grantev
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby grantev » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Withdrew today w/ Miami Scholars $$$. Hope it goes to someone else!

The campus is awesome and the faculty and staff I met were great, but ultimately I decided that I need to be closer to family and was concerned about the (lack of) portability of a Miami JD. Good luck to everyone still waiting/deciding.

User avatar
schmoxy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby schmoxy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm

anybody planning on paying for the seat deposit by april 1st to secure scholly funding? I can't decide what to do because I still haven't received scholly offers from other schools which say they will notify in April...

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 pm

schmoxy wrote:anybody planning on paying for the seat deposit by april 1st to secure scholly funding? I can't decide what to do because I still haven't received scholly offers from other schools which say they will notify in April...


I'm sending mine in today. I've had a scholly offer from Miami for almost two months now, not going to throw away 6k for the possibility that some schools may give me 5k a year as an April afterthought. I do my best to separate my emotions from my decision making, but I can't help but feel chapped by schools like ASU & Emory who still haven't given me a decision or UF who still hasn't given me a scholly offer even after forwarding them offers from Arizona and W&M weeks ago.
If you're expecting a big offer from another school (20k+ a year) then it may be worthwhile to pay the deposit then potentially back out later. However, if you waiting and hoping for a shot in the dark then I'd pay the UM deposit without thinking twice. That 6k may seem small compared to a bigger offer, but it is the equivalent of 2 years of gas or food.

User avatar
schmoxy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby schmoxy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
schmoxy wrote:anybody planning on paying for the seat deposit by april 1st to secure scholly funding? I can't decide what to do because I still haven't received scholly offers from other schools which say they will notify in April...


I'm sending mine in today. I've had a scholly offer from Miami for almost two months now, not going to throw away 6k for the possibility that some schools may give me 5k a year as an April afterthought. I do my best to separate my emotions from my decision making, but I can't help but feel chapped by schools like ASU & Emory who still haven't given me a decision or UF who still hasn't given me a scholly offer even after forwarding them offers from Arizona and W&M weeks ago.
If you're expecting a big offer from another school (20k+ a year) then it may be worthwhile to pay the deposit then potentially back out later. However, if you waiting and hoping for a shot in the dark then I'd pay the UM deposit without thinking twice. That 6k may seem small compared to a bigger offer, but it is the equivalent of 2 years of gas or food.



Thanks for this! I really needed this perspective! $500 is a lot, but its not a lot in the grand scheme of things I guess...

Rasaus
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Rasaus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 am

Miami put me on hold. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Was the decision ever favorable or do they just put you on a waitlist?

cortland55
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby cortland55 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 am

I'm on hold as well, have been since early Feb. It's supposed to be better then the waitlist but I have no idea when we'll hear.

User avatar
schmoxy
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby schmoxy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:22 am

Just submitted my seat deposit yesterday- what's good c/o 2016! :mrgreen:

Rasaus
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Rasaus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm

cortland55 wrote:I'm on hold as well, have been since early Feb. It's supposed to be better then the waitlist but I have no idea when we'll hear.


Mine said my file would be reviewed before April 30 and I should send in additional documents if any...I don't really have any more recommendation letters to send. I guess I could do another personal statement but again I have nothing more to add to the one I already submitted. Did you submit anything else?

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Rasaus wrote:
cortland55 wrote:I'm on hold as well, have been since early Feb. It's supposed to be better then the waitlist but I have no idea when we'll hear.


Mine said my file would be reviewed before April 30 and I should send in additional documents if any...I don't really have any more recommendation letters to send. I guess I could do another personal statement but again I have nothing more to add to the one I already submitted. Did you submit anything else?


Are any of you being held splitters or URMs? I could see a school sending out "Holds" to student's whose numbers may or may not end up being desirable, depending on what the school's medians are looking like come early to mid April.
I believe WLs are more about filling out a class (as far as butts in seats), whereas holds are more about gaming the UNSWR.

Feel free to chime in if anyone out there knows more than I do.

Rasaus
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:22 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Rasaus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
Rasaus wrote:
cortland55 wrote:I'm on hold as well, have been since early Feb. It's supposed to be better then the waitlist but I have no idea when we'll hear.


Mine said my file would be reviewed before April 30 and I should send in additional documents if any...I don't really have any more recommendation letters to send. I guess I could do another personal statement but again I have nothing more to add to the one I already submitted. Did you submit anything else?


Are any of you being held splitters or URMs? I could see a school sending out "Holds" to student's whose numbers may or may not end up being desirable, depending on what the school's medians are looking like come early to mid April.
I believe WLs are more about filling out a class (as far as butts in seats), whereas holds are more about gaming the UNSWR.

Feel free to chime in if anyone out there knows more than I do.


that seems possible. I think I am underrepresented minority and my numbers weren't too amazing for law school. I have work experience and a lot of leadership experience and some strong rec. letters so that's why I applied to schools which were a little out of my reach.

NoMistakes
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby NoMistakes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm

anyone know a percentage of applicants who actually get admitted from the "hold stats"? I tried to look at prior threads but its hard to tell...

Riley843
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Riley843 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Anyone looking at housing or roommate situations right now? I am not from the area and know nothing about where to live, and definitely am hoping to not be living alone.

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 pm

As for the hold numbers, I'd imagine it's impossible to gauge even a ballpark on how many get in vs WL/ding. But whatever the number is, the number of admits off the hold column has to be higher this cycle than previous cycles given the decrease in applicants and volatility of the cycle.
As for housing, find Miami's housing guide on their website, I believe they are about to issue a more updated version in the next couple weeks. It would also be wise to hire a real estate agent, most don't charge and if you don't know the area it's important to know someone who does. Coconut Grove, for example, is one of the nicer parts of Miami, but there are parts of Coconut Grove that are not very safe (the same goes for Dadeland, Coral Gables, etc)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], hellohalo, NorthDragon and 5 guests