University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mikeam

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby mikeam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

Aroldis105 wrote:Is there anyone who has applied to Miami Scholars who hasn't been contacted about it? If so, numbers and/or when did you apply

Applied 1/4. accepted 1/28. haven't heard anything about Scholarship or Miami Scholars.
155 3.49

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:14 am

Just got my scholarship letter yesterday... Did anyone else have an offer to increase their scholarship by 2K per year if they deposit before a certain date? I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread. It's certainly intriguing to me, as an extra 6K can go a long way.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 am

fragrock wrote:Just got my scholarship letter yesterday... Did anyone else have an offer to increase their scholarship by 2K per year if they deposit before a certain date? I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread. It's certainly intriguing to me, as an extra 6K can go a long way.

Wasn't on mine, I think that may be something they start doing in February/March based on older threads. Would not be surprised if they sent out similar letters to others who already have received their offer.

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm

grantev wrote:Just got a call from a Miles Cochran about Miami Scholars today. It wasn't so much of an interview--more like an informational phone call to chat a bit and let me know that I am being considered. He said they are making decisions on a rolling basis and should be wrapped up by the end of March. I have to wait to see whether they contact me for a Skype interview, but I'm glad they let me know I'm still in the running. I figured I wasn't at this point.

Also, he said they are considering changing the MS stipulation to being in the top half of the class rather than having a 3.0 (although he said the median usually is around a 2.9). And if you get chosen for MS and accept it before a certain date (TBD), the annual amount would go up to $28k/year. Sweetens the deal a bit. They aim to have about 15-20 students in the program per class.

Thanks for the details! Have you been contacted about a Skype interview yet?

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

fragrock wrote:Just got my scholarship letter yesterday... Did anyone else have an offer to increase their scholarship by 2K per year if they deposit before a certain date? I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread. It's certainly intriguing to me, as an extra 6K can go a long way.

Ditto, got my scholly info yesterday for 25k per year and an extra 2k per year if I respond by April 1st. Still that top 1/3 stip is probably too daunting to accept even though I love Miami and it would be really awesome to go to school there.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

scottyc66 wrote:

Ditto, got my scholly info yesterday for 25k per year and an extra 2k per year if I respond by April 1st. Still that top 1/3 stip is probably too daunting to accept even though I love Miami and it would be really awesome to go to school there.

Has anyone successfully lowered that GPA stipulation? I don't think I could go with it in place, but if it could be lowered just a bit, Miami would be my number one.

meowllory

Postby meowllory » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:

Wasn't on mine, I think that may be something they start doing in February/March based on older threads. Would not be surprised if they sent out similar letters to others who already have received their offer.

wasn't on mine either... would seem kind of weird if they didn't give people that already received their scholarships an incentive to complete by a deadline too

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
scottyc66 wrote:

Has anyone successfully lowered that GPA stipulation? I don't think I could go with it in place, but if it could be lowered just a bit, Miami would be my number one.

I haven't heard of anyone getting it done. Rumors of section stacking along with the tough stip will definitely keep me away if I can't change them.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Finally got a call about MS. I hope I make it through to the Skype interview round, definitely wasn't spectacular on the phone interview though.

Who has been accepted and/or done a Skype interview this cycle?

grantev

Postby grantev » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

eas09d wrote:
grantev wrote:Just got a call from a Miles Cochran about Miami Scholars today. It wasn't so much of an interview--more like an informational phone call to chat a bit and let me know that I am being considered. He said they are making decisions on a rolling basis and should be wrapped up by the end of March. I have to wait to see whether they contact me for a Skype interview, but I'm glad they let me know I'm still in the running. I figured I wasn't at this point.

Also, he said they are considering changing the MS stipulation to being in the top half of the class rather than having a 3.0 (although he said the median usually is around a 2.9). And if you get chosen for MS and accept it before a certain date (TBD), the annual amount would go up to $28k/year. Sweetens the deal a bit. They aim to have about 15-20 students in the program per class.

They just called me about the Skype interview yesterday, I scheduled it for Friday morning. Has anyone done one already? Advice?

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:12 pm

grantev wrote:
eas09d wrote:

They just called me about the Skype interview yesterday, I scheduled it for Friday morning. Has anyone done one already? Advice?

I just did mine, it's just an informal conversation, nothing to worry about. I'm curious how many other people have made it this far though.

schmoxy

Postby schmoxy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am

When did y'all apply? I submitted my MS app a little later and I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take for them to get back to me!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am

schmoxy wrote:When did y'all apply? I submitted my MS app a little later and I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take for them to get back to me!

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28

schmoxy

Postby schmoxy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
schmoxy wrote:When did y'all apply? I submitted my MS app a little later and I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take for them to get back to me!

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28

Wow, that's a lot faster turn around than I expected! Thanks!

slawww

Postby slawww » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

Withdrew. Hope it opens up a spot for a TLSer!

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm

schmoxy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28

Yup I was surprised too. Hopefully they throw me money like tony stark on retirement

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
schmoxy wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28

Yup I was surprised too. Hopefully they throw me money like tony stark on retirement

Not sure...But I think the poster may be talking about the dates (s)he applied to and was accepted to Miami law, not the Miami Scholars program...

schmoxy

Postby schmoxy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm

When did y'all apply? I submitted my MS app a little later and I'm trying to figure out how long it'll take for them to get back to me![/quote]

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28[/quote]

Not sure...But I think the poster may be talking about the dates (s)he applied to and was accepted to Miami law, not the Miami Scholars program...[/quote][/quote]

Nope, I was talking about the Miami Scholars Program! Have already been accepted to the University :D

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Sent 1/17 decision 1/28[/quote]

Not sure...But I think the poster may be talking about the dates (s)he applied to and was accepted to Miami law, not the Miami Scholars program...[/quote][/quote]

Nope, I was talking about the Miami Scholars Program! Have already been accepted to the University :D[/quote]

You were accepted into Miami Scholars on 1/28?

Sevenkingdoms

Postby Sevenkingdoms » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Accepted - 3.86/166

Does anyone know if they pay for flights to visit the school??

schmoxy

Postby schmoxy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I haven't heard back from Miami Scholars, but it seems like lhanvt13 did...that's what I took from the post anyway! Because people have been getting phone calls this week from Miami Scholars.

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm

schmoxy wrote:I haven't heard back from Miami Scholars, but it seems like lhanvt13 did...that's what I took from the post anyway! Because people have been getting phone calls this week from Miami Scholars.

Oh got it. Yeah the calls are preliminary phone interviews, which are follows by a Skype interview. I was told by the recruitment office that they were hoping to have the first batch of acceptances out by today so we'll see I guess!

nikkiblast

Postby nikkiblast » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Just received the package and I got accepted :D

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

eas09d wrote:
schmoxy wrote:I haven't heard back from Miami Scholars, but it seems like lhanvt13 did...that's what I took from the post anyway! Because people have been getting phone calls this week from Miami Scholars.

Oh got it. Yeah the calls are preliminary phone interviews, which are follows by a Skype interview. I was told by the recruitment office that they were hoping to have the first batch of acceptances out by today so we'll see I guess!

nope it was my misunderstanding . IGNORE EVERYTHING

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
eas09d wrote:

nope it was my misunderstanding . IGNORE EVERYTHING

I got a call today from the head of MS this afternoon, unfortunately I was visiting another school at the time and couldn't take the call : / . I had already done my skype and phone interview so based on what people have said on here I assume it was to offer me acceptance to the program. MS with the scholarship would be a perfect fit for me, but I can't accept it with that GPA stipulation, especially since Miami just lowered the value of all their +/- grades! I'll do my best to fight it, but I'm doubtful I'll see any results.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”