University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fragrock

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby fragrock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

Not super excited to revive this tense thread, but couldn't bring myself to post on the misspelled thread. This is the lesser of two evils I think :P

I never got an email and I hadn't checked the MyUM site in a while, but I just looked and I had an acceptance...! Anyone else notice an acceptance before they got an email? Also, based on earlier posts in the thread, it sounds like they supposedly start running out of money later in the cycle. Anyone who's been accepted semi-recently get scholarship info?

Thanks!

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

I only applied recently, so I haven't been accepted or given scholarship information yet. However, I think it's a little early for them to be running out of scholly money so I wouldn't worry.

Are your numbers similar to people who have already gotten scholarship offers?

ETA: Just checked and I've been accepted with no scholly info yet.

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

I think I should be competitive for a scholarship at UM based on other reports from this thread. Also, I could have been accepted a week ago for all I know since I hadn't checked the status checker and I haven't received an email. Maybe I'll have a scholarship package waiting in the mail for me when I get home.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Just got accepted ! good luck on your cycle guys !

2.98/165

ashawnt

Postby ashawnt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

lkmklm
Last edited by ashawnt on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

grantev

Postby grantev » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm

fragrock wrote:Not super excited to revive this tense thread, but couldn't bring myself to post on the misspelled thread. This is the lesser of two evils I think :P

I never got an email and I hadn't checked the MyUM site in a while, but I just looked and I had an acceptance...! Anyone else notice an acceptance before they got an email? Also, based on earlier posts in the thread, it sounds like they supposedly start running out of money later in the cycle. Anyone who's been accepted semi-recently get scholarship info?

Thanks!

I got accepted on 1/4 and just got a letter via snail mail today to inform me that I got the $25k/year Dean's Merit Scholarship (with the 3.2 GPA stipulation, of course). I was starting to worry that I didn't get a scholarship at all.

Awkward

Postby Awkward » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:37 pm

grantev wrote:
fragrock wrote:Not super excited to revive this tense thread, but couldn't bring myself to post on the misspelled thread. This is the lesser of two evils I think :P

Thanks!

I got accepted on 1/4 and just got a letter via snail mail today to inform me that I got the $25k/year Dean's Merit Scholarship (with the 3.2 GPA stipulation, of course). I was starting to worry that I didn't get a scholarship at all.

I got the same offer.. I was accepted early January

edit: actually mine says top 1/3rd which they approximate is 3.2?

meowllory

Postby meowllory » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 am

Awkward wrote:I got the same offer.. I was accepted early January

edit: actually mine says top 1/3rd which they approximate is 3.2?

+1

4thquarterclutch2012

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Anyone have any idea about how receptive Miami is to negotiating scholarships and who they would consider peer schools? I have better offers from Wake Forest, Minnesota, Cardozo and Emory but, I'm from South Florida, and will more than likely end up wanting to work here in the long run. I have been trying to wait on some other applications to come back, hopefully giving me more leverage, but, I cant help but think that the longer I wait, the more I'm walking the fine line between negotiating too early with less leverage and too late with more.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

^I sent an e-mail last week trying to increase my 15k scholarship, I countered with offers from UF and W&M but have not yet heard back from them.

I was wondering how everyone feels about the COL. I'm torn between UF, W&M, and Miami and the final price tag of each school will go a long way in deciding where I end up. It just seems hard to justify spending 1000+ a month on an apartment in Miami (+parking, traffic, etc) when I can get a much nicer place 5 minutes from the school in Gainesville or Williamsburg for under 600. Has anyone heard of people snagging apartments near the school for under 800? I don't care if it's a studio or a closet, but I cannot fathom spending this much for housing.

mystikal

Postby mystikal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm

sooo...I was wondering...it says that the personal statement is optional on the app..
Did anyone attach one?

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm

mystikal wrote:sooo...I was wondering...it says that the personal statement is optional on the app..
Did anyone attach one?

I'm not sure if this is serious not but why wouldn't you submit it? I know it says optional and I think I applied to one other school where it was optional but I figured that was just a way to weed people out. Chances are you wrote one since other schools request it and it only takes 5 seconds to upload it.

mystikal

Postby mystikal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

Psib337 wrote:
mystikal wrote:sooo...I was wondering...it says that the personal statement is optional on the app..
Did anyone attach one?

I'm not sure if this is serious not but why wouldn't you submit it? I know it says optional and I think I applied to one other school where it was optional but I figured that was just a way to weed people out. Chances are you wrote one since other schools request it and it only takes 5 seconds to upload it.

It was a serious question.
I mean I understand that it is in my best interest to attach one, just curious if anyone didn't

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Anyone here apply for Miami Scholars? If so, have you heard back about it?

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

eas09d wrote:Anyone here apply for Miami Scholars? If so, have you heard back about it?

I applied in early December and have not heard back yet. I don't really trust the admissions department in regards to the process though. In December they we're saying that acceptances aren't given out until february, but TLSers were saying they had already been interviewed for or received the scholarship. The dean I asked said the process ends in mid-february. However, in years past (based on old TLS forums) students have been encouraged to apply for the program as late as March while receiving the distinction as late as early April.

I'm some what hesitant of MS, even with the scholarship, you're still paying 15k+ a year in tuition, not to mention 15k+ in CoL. I don't see how a student can be expected to practice "public interest law" with 90k+ in debt...

Remember, Miami does not allow scholarship stacking, therefore you have to accept your highest offer. Also, the MS Scholarship includes that damn 3.2 stipulation...

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:
eas09d wrote:Anyone here apply for Miami Scholars? If so, have you heard back about it?

I applied in early December and have not heard back yet. I don't really trust the admissions department in regards to the process though. In December they we're saying that acceptances aren't given out until february, but TLSers were saying they had already been interviewed for or received the scholarship. The dean I asked said the process ends in mid-february. However, in years past (based on old TLS forums) students have been encouraged to apply for the program as late as March while receiving the distinction as late as early April.

I'm some what hesitant of MS, even with the scholarship, you're still paying 15k+ a year in tuition, not to mention 15k+ in CoL. I don't see how a student can be expected to practice "public interest law" with 90k+ in debt...

Remember, Miami does not allow scholarship stacking, therefore you have to accept your highest offer. Also, the MS Scholarship includes that damn 3.2 stipulation...

How do you know you cannot stack? So you mean if you're offered MS and were previously offered another scholarship, you can't have both? What if that amount doesn't cover the entire tuition amount? (i.e. less than 45k combined)

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I have asked multiple deans and students, you can only take your highest offer. The only way to get full tuition is to be offered ONE full tuition scholarship. From what I've heard student scholarships may be increased after their L1, but not to the tune of 10k/15k/etc.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:I have asked multiple deans and students, you can only take your highest offer. The only way to get full tuition is to be offered ONE full tuition scholarship. From what I've heard student scholarships may be increased after their L1, but not to the tune of 10k/15k/etc.

The U doesn't seems overly anxious to give money to their LS students so I tent to believe that they're not going to increase schollys a ton.

If you're going to UM it's because you want to practice in Miami and you don't want to go anywhere else, they know this.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:43 pm

scottyc66 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:I have asked multiple deans and students, you can only take your highest offer. The only way to get full tuition is to be offered ONE full tuition scholarship. From what I've heard student scholarships may be increased after their L1, but not to the tune of 10k/15k/etc.

The U doesn't seems overly anxious to give money to their LS students so I tent to believe that they're not going to increase schollys a ton.

If you're going to UM it's because you want to practice in Miami and you don't want to go anywhere else, they know this.

+1
The U seems to be somewhat unique in the way it handles its business. I have to agree with Scotty, this is not a school for anyone. You need to be committed to staying in Miami, paying a decent amount of money, and survive the 3.2 stipulation (whether it be by great grades or the ability to take the hit if you loose your scholarship). There are enough people who are either
A. Wealthy
B. Ignorant
to attend Miami that they don't need to make a fiscally appealing offer to every student.

*I'm not shitting on Miami, it is still one of my top choices. The path to graduation with low debt isn't easy, but after three years you may very well have the opportunity to practice in a tropical, vibrant, cultured, and fun city.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Just got scholarship information, 30k/year with the same top third/3.2 stipulation.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Psib337 wrote:Just got scholarship information, 30k/year with the same top third/3.2 stipulation.

I hope someone has some luck negotiating down that stip.

DML13

Postby DML13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am

I wonder how many students who matriculate are on a scholarship with a top third stipulation. Does anyone have info on how many / what percentage of students keep the scholarship?

sofl_law

Postby sofl_law » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am

I actually had a phone interview for Miami Scholars today. I didn't know that you couldn't stack the scholarships.. I'm definitely going to ask about this. I know earlier I said I was planning on committing to Miami but UF actually increased my scholarship out of nowhere so I'm leaning towards going back to Gainesville for another 3 years.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:27 am

DML13 wrote:I wonder how many students who matriculate are on a scholarship with a top third stipulation. Does anyone have info on how many / what percentage of students keep the scholarship?

http://law-school.findthebest.com

^This source says that 35% of each class is awarded a scholarship, it is my understanding that every scholarship carries this stipulation. It is possible some of the specialized awards do not, but only a very small group of people (Maybe 10, 15, etc) receive those awards. That being said, it would seem it is almost mathematically impossible for all scholarship recipients to hold onto their scholarship after their L1, let alone their entire three years. Even if you finished in front of every non-scholarship student, you could still be in the 1-4% who lose out.
For what it's worth, the University of Cincinnati (also ranked 69th by UNSWR) sent a leaflet stating than none of their L1s lost their scholarship (the requirement was a 2.0). Obviously the stipulations are much different, but this means that Miami definitely should have access to the number of scholarships lost each year (regardless of what they have said).

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Quick question.

How many of y'all were granted a fee waiver for UM? And if it was granted, was it simply because it was granted based on academic merit, or did you have to ask?

I am debating on whether I should go to a MIAMI LAW Multicultural Admissions Fair that is upcoming where they will be giving fee waivers to everyone who attends. I want to know if it is worth my time to go, or if i could get the waiver by just asking or based on my merits.

Thanks
And congrats to all who got in

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”