University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Username123 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Can anyone inform me of how long it took for you to receive your admissions packet in the mail?


???

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:23 pm

"Top 20% + LR"? What is LR?

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm

I finally got my scholarship letter. It's 25k/year, with the stip. 168 3.92.

grantev
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby grantev » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:35 am

Mdenis1 wrote:"Top 20% + LR"? What is LR?

Law review.

grantev
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby grantev » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Accepted via e-mail prompt/status checker at 3:47 AM today! Won't be a real consideration without some serious $$$ though, and I'm not sure what I'd get with a 3.6/161. Miami weather and culture is tempting, and I do have a few connections in the legal market there, but this section stacking business is freaking me out. :?

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby slawww » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:10 am

Mdenis1 wrote:I finally got my scholarship letter. It's 25k/year, with the stip. 168 3.92.


That's crazy that they didn't give you a full ride with those #'s

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 am

slawww wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:I finally got my scholarship letter. It's 25k/year, with the stip. 168 3.92.


That's crazy that they didn't give you a full ride with those #'s


I was a bit surprised too. I'm international - can it impact merit-based scholarship?

One of my friends who is currently a 1L there has roughly the same numbers as me (even a bit lower) - 167 3.9 and she got 30k at first and got it bumped up to 40k.

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 am

grantev wrote:Accepted via e-mail prompt/status checker at 3:47 AM today! Won't be a real consideration without some serious $$$ though, and I'm not sure what I'd get with a 3.6/161. Miami weather and culture is tempting, and I do have a few connections in the legal market there, but this section stacking business is freaking me out. :?


Congrats!

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby clone22 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 am

Mdenis1 wrote:I finally got my scholarship letter. It's 25k/year, with the stip. 168 3.92.


You've applied across the T14, right? Because with those numbers you can get some serious cash from the lower t14s

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 am

Just got back home from Christmas Break to finally see my acceptance packet. No scholarship offer as of yet. Have Scholly offers been coming separately? Miami is an appealing option for me because it is close to home.

edit: nevermind, just saw my scholarship letter. 25k a year but it states I must remain in the top third which many here on TLS state is far from easy to do. Im going to see see if I can get the school to ease up on the requirement.

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

clone22 wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:I finally got my scholarship letter. It's 25k/year, with the stip. 168 3.92.


You've applied across the T14, right? Because with those numbers you can get some serious cash from the lower t14s


Yes I did! So far in the T14 I'm in at: Berkeley, Michigan, Gtown and Cornell. The only scholarship I've heard of is Michigan (15k/year x 3).

Miami is one of the only school outside of the T20 I applied too and it's only because I have ties to the area (used to live there + would love to live there later. I'm open to other locations if I'm not able to work right away in Miami but South Florida is one of my fav. place to live in the US). I'm happy they offered me a scholly but I was expecting a bit more and given their employment stats, I'm not sure if it's worth attending without a full ride (for instance in my case, I still need to pay about 20k of tuition per year + cost of living in Miami). With interest and all that, let's stay it adds up to 100k of debt fter three years, I highly doubt it would be worth it. Moreover, even if I'd get a fullride, the stip plus section stacking rumors are just scaring me. As mentioned before, everyone who gets scholarships are overachievers who are used to work hard and be top of their classes at High School and Undergrad. And let's say on a section of roughly 80 students, 65 are scholarship recipients. Some (a very small number) will be able to keep their scholarships, but most of them will lose it and the fact that I have always done well in school before is not enough to reassure me because I know it's the same thing for every other scholarship recipient.

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Mdenis1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Just got back home from Christmas Break to finally see my acceptance packet. No scholarship offer as of yet. Have Scholly offers been coming separately? Miami is an appealing option for me because it is close to home.

edit: nevermind, just saw my scholarship letter. 25k a year but it states I must remain in the top third which many here on TLS state is far from easy to do. Im going to see see if I can get the school to ease up on the requirement.


Congrats! What are your stats out of curiosity? (sorry LSN seems to be down at the moment or something, can't access your profile!)

chomp
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby chomp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Got my scholarship package in the mail, 25k/year with the same 3.2 gpa stipulation. 162/3.5

msowins
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby msowins » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 pm

I've read on here that the scholarship letter comes a few weeks after the original acceptance, but now I am getting nervous! I was accepted December 14th and still have not received anything regarding scholarship information. Does that just mean I didn't get any money?!? :cry: I'm hoping the holidays delayed it.

wu27
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby wu27 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Was accepted 12/20, got an e-mail today saying that I received a scholarship and the information would be in the mail to my current address

msowins
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby msowins » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm

wu27 wrote:Was accepted 12/20, got an e-mail today saying that I received a scholarship and the information would be in the mail to my current address


So there's still some hope!! :P

Riley843
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Riley843 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I was accepted 12/21 and just got the scholarship info yesterday (25k w 3.2) so I am thinking the holidays did delay it a little, so don't give up yet :)

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby JXander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Withdrew this morning. I hope that the open slot makes someone's day! Good luck, y'all.

Aroldis105
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Aroldis105 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

*Sticks head into pillow* FUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Got my scholarship offer today and as of now it would cost just as much to go to Miami as W&M (that's without factoring in COL which is heavy at Miami). Obviously I'll try to fight for more money but there is something about Miami I just don't like. As far as location it's a strong number one, but there are a couple things about the school that have bothered me. First is the large class size, double the size of a big schools like Texas makes it seem like this is all a business venture for the U. Secondly, the 3.2 stipulation is ridiculous, it is not a tool to motivate students or to reward success, it is an opportunity to trap students into paying sticker price for their second and/or third year. I'm sure a lot of you will say this is just sour grapes or based on the fact that I'm a little drunk, but I think my points are valid. In conclusion, I guess I'm stuck in Williamsburg (#FirstWorldProblems)

PS FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

sofl_law
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby sofl_law » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Well, I took a lot of time to think about what everyone was saying and I spoke with my mentor (who is an attorney and UF law grad) and I've decided to take a leap of faith and go to UM. I'm from South Florida and it's really time for me to just go back there and give this school a shot. Hopefully I do well and keep my scholarship! I'll be submitting my first enrollment deposit next week after pay day! Good luck to everyone else!

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Username123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 pm

sofl_law wrote:Well, I took a lot of time to think about what everyone was saying and I spoke with my mentor (who is an attorney and UF law grad) and I've decided to take a leap of faith and go to UM. I'm from South Florida and it's really time for me to just go back there and give this school a shot. Hopefully I do well and keep my scholarship! I'll be submitting my first enrollment deposit next week after pay day! Good luck to everyone else!


Congratulations! :D I hope you do well at the U and I hope to be a classmate of yours come Fall.

User avatar
meowllory
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby meowllory » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm

GPA stipulations aside anybody know if they’re still giving out dean’s scholarships? – based on last year’s thread it seems they only gave scholarships to people who were accepted before Jan 1st :/

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby Psib337 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 am

Just got in! I remember seeing a bunch of acceptances right before MLK day on LSN and either in this thread or last years thread I remember seeing people getting admitted in the middle of the night so I figured I'd check. Nice to have some good news before I go to sleep!

msowins
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby msowins » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 pm

So after not hearing anything for a month after my acceptance, I finally called admissions and found out that I did not get any scholarship money...What to do now? I cannot afford full-tuition! 42K/yr x 3yrs = 126K...yeah right! :cry:

Any point in sending a letter to the Dean asking to be reconsidered for scholarship money? Miami truly is one of my top choices, if not the top choice. I've heard they're usually out of money by Xmas though...

User avatar
scottyc66
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Postby scottyc66 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:55 pm

msowins wrote:So after not hearing anything for a month after my acceptance, I finally called admissions and found out that I did not get any scholarship money...What to do now? I cannot afford full-tuition! 42K/yr x 3yrs = 126K...yeah right! :cry:

Any point in sending a letter to the Dean asking to be reconsidered for scholarship money? Miami truly is one of my top choices, if not the top choice. I've heard they're usually out of money by Xmas though...

Numbers?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, blackmamba8, brinicolec, cyclawps, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, Mia93, reillyg, tsporl, xn3345 and 16 guests