University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
presidingofficer

New

Re: University of Miami Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Post by presidingofficer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:31 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:Quick question.

How many of y'all were granted a fee waiver for UM? And if it was granted, was it simply because it was granted based on academic merit, or did you have to ask?

I am debating on whether I should go to a MIAMI LAW Multicultural Admissions Fair that is upcoming where they will be giving fee waivers to everyone who attends. I want to know if it is worth my time to go, or if i could get the waiver by just asking or based on my merits.

Thanks
And congrats to all who got in
I received a fee waiver by visiting the Office of Admissions, but I'm sure they would have waived my fee had I just sent them a note. For reference, I am a Miami undergrad at 160/3.96. You might as well ask, because the worst thing that can happen is that they'll say no.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm

How many of y'all were granted a fee waiver for UM? And if it was granted, was it simply because it was granted based on academic merit, or did you have to ask?

I am debating on whether I should go to a MIAMI LAW Multicultural Admissions Fair that is upcoming where they will be giving fee waivers to everyone who attends. I want to know if it is worth my time to go, or if i could get the waiver by just asking or based on my merits.

Thanks
I asked and was granted one.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 am

timeandspace11 wrote:

Thanks
I asked and was granted one.
+1. I included my LSAT score, GPA and LSAC account number in the email.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 am

sofl_law wrote:I actually had a phone interview for Miami Scholars today. I didn't know that you couldn't stack the scholarships.. I'm definitely going to ask about this. I know earlier I said I was planning on committing to Miami but UF actually increased my scholarship out of nowhere so I'm leaning towards going back to Gainesville for another 3 years.
Had they initially offered you a Skype interview? I got an invite for a Miami Scholars interview as well (via Skype), but a phone interview would be more convenient for me. What kind of questions did they ask?

Is you UF scholarship higher than the 26k of Miami Scholars?

Good luck with your decision.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 am

I just noticed Miami Scholars recipients have a different stip (3.0 : http://www.law.miami.edu/financial-aid/ ... m.php?op=4) than other scholarships (3.2). I wonder why that is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

Aroldis105 wrote:
eas09d wrote:Anyone here apply for Miami Scholars? If so, have you heard back about it?
I applied in early December and have not heard back yet. I don't really trust the admissions department in regards to the process though. In December they we're saying that acceptances aren't given out until february, but TLSers were saying they had already been interviewed for or received the scholarship. The dean I asked said the process ends in mid-february. However, in years past (based on old TLS forums) students have been encouraged to apply for the program as late as March while receiving the distinction as late as early April.

I'm some what hesitant of MS, even with the scholarship, you're still paying 15k+ a year in tuition, not to mention 15k+ in CoL. I don't see how a student can be expected to practice "public interest law" with 90k+ in debt...

Remember, Miami does not allow scholarship stacking, therefore you have to accept your highest offer. Also, the MS Scholarship includes that damn 3.2 stipulation...
Are you sure about that? It's written 3.0 on their website.

http://www.law.miami.edu/financial-aid/ ... m.php?op=4

3.0 is still scary though. Only a little bit better...

eas09d

New

Post by eas09d » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 am

Mdenis1 wrote:
sofl_law wrote:I actually had a phone interview for Miami Scholars today. I didn't know that you couldn't stack the scholarships.. I'm definitely going to ask about this. I know earlier I said I was planning on committing to Miami but UF actually increased my scholarship out of nowhere so I'm leaning towards going back to Gainesville for another 3 years.
Had they initially offered you a Skype interview? I got an invite for a Miami Scholars interview as well (via Skype), but a phone interview would be more convenient for me. What kind of questions did they ask?

It's part of their process to do a phone interview then a Skype interview. Did you have your Skype interview yet?

zniha

New

Post by zniha » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 am

Accepted today 2/4 via status check!

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 am

eas09d wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

It's part of their process to do a phone interview then a Skype interview. Did you have your Skype interview yet?
I had none and they won't be able to Skype me because I am currently in Myanmar and it's banned. (lol) I just emailed them to explain. Hope they don't think it's a weird excuse haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sonny

New

Post by sonny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks
Just emailed them to ask for one. Included by GPA, LSAT, and LSAC No.

In my case they were splitter friendly as well.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Withdrew. Good luck to everybody who is attending or waiting on a decision.

fbmelms

New

Post by fbmelms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Do scholarship offers come with the admission offer or separately.

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Separately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:

It was a phone interview and then they called today to schedule the skype interview. My UF scholarship is $16k/yr not including need based so I'm going to UF. I'll be withdrawing from UM pretty soon. Just waiting to send in my enrollment deposit for UF first. I would have went to UM had I been able to combine the Miami Scholars with the 25k merit scholarship I had...

bajafresk

New

Post by bajafresk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 pm

zniha wrote:Accepted today 2/4 via status check!
when did you apply?

bajafresk

New

Post by bajafresk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
eas09d wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

I had none and they won't be able to Skype me because I am currently in Myanmar and it's banned. (lol) I just emailed them to explain. Hope they don't think it's a weird excuse haha
Why are you in Myanmar? I'm Burmese and a 1L at Miami!

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Looks like I'm not making the cut for MS based on some of the recent posts. Unfortunately, Miami hasn't responded to my scholarship negotiation e-mails either. Guess I'm heading to UF. :/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Looks like I'm not making the cut for MS based on some of the recent posts. Unfortunately, Miami hasn't responded to my scholarship negotiation e-mails either. Guess I'm heading to UF. :/
Really? What were you negotiating about, the stip or the amount?

GBPbb

New

Post by GBPbb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Hey 0L's!! Im a 2nd semester 1L at UM... lemme know if you have any questions or anything.

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:Looks like I'm not making the cut for MS based on some of the recent posts. Unfortunately, Miami hasn't responded to my scholarship negotiation e-mails either. Guess I'm heading to UF. :/
Really? What were you negotiating about, the stip or the amount?
I won't go unless the stip is lowered or eliminated...but at this point I'm looking to push my 15k up to something like 20k. Two e-mails (the second was a result of another offer at a peer school, not aggressiveness), and no response at all. We'll see, but as of now, it's a no go at the U.

meowllory

New

Post by meowllory » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 am

GBPbb wrote:Hey 0L's!! Im a 2nd semester 1L at UM... lemme know if you have any questions or anything.
hi! considering going there in the fall and was wondering if you had any idea how hard is it to maintain at 3.2 gpa? also curious if you're happy with you decision to go to Miami vs. other schools

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GBPbb

New

Post by GBPbb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 am

meowllory wrote:
GBPbb wrote:Hey 0L's!! Im a 2nd semester 1L at UM... lemme know if you have any questions or anything.
hi! considering going there in the fall and was wondering if you had any idea how hard is it to maintain at 3.2 gpa? also curious if you're happy with you decision to go to Miami vs. other schools
The curve hasn't been released yet, so I can't tell you exactly where you need to be in the class to maintain a 3.2. However, in the past few classes, the 3.2 has been about top 1/3. Its not easy, but not impossible. It really all depends on how quickly you learn how to take law school exams.

So far I really love it. I chose UM for multiple reasons and haven't been disappointed thus far.

meowllory

New

Post by meowllory » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 am

GBPbb wrote:
meowllory wrote:
The curve hasn't been released yet, so I can't tell you exactly where you need to be in the class to maintain a 3.2. However, in the past few classes, the 3.2 has been about top 1/3. Its not easy, but not impossible. It really all depends on how quickly you learn how to take law school exams.

So far I really love it. I chose UM for multiple reasons and haven't been disappointed thus far.
Gotcha. thanks :)

one last thing - where would you recommend living 1L?

grantev

New

Post by grantev » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Just got a call from a Miles Cochran about Miami Scholars today. It wasn't so much of an interview--more like an informational phone call to chat a bit and let me know that I am being considered. He said they are making decisions on a rolling basis and should be wrapped up by the end of March. I have to wait to see whether they contact me for a Skype interview, but I'm glad they let me know I'm still in the running. I figured I wasn't at this point.

Also, he said they are considering changing the MS stipulation to being in the top half of the class rather than having a 3.0 (although he said the median usually is around a 2.9). And if you get chosen for MS and accept it before a certain date (TBD), the annual amount would go up to $28k/year. Sweetens the deal a bit. They aim to have about 15-20 students in the program per class.

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am

Is there anyone who has applied to Miami Scholars who hasn't been contacted about it? If so, numbers and/or when did you apply

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”