Tulane Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayJones78

Gold

Re: Tulane Law Applicants 2012-2013 Cycle

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:New Orleans is a great place to be. I actually have a view of the superdome from where I work. While it makes me sad that I'm not going to the Super Bowl, I'll be able to get decent saints season tickets next year for the same price as a crappy seat at the Super Bowl so I'll be okay.

Also, as for the 25 most dangerous cities list, Baton Rouge is number 25.
Nice. How do you like tulane and what do you think about NYC biglaw prospects coming out of it? (Needless to say if you're in the top 1/3). Do people come to tulane with NYC mindsets but than decide to stay and work in New Orleans?

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:New Orleans is a great place to be. I actually have a view of the superdome from where I work. While it makes me sad that I'm not going to the Super Bowl, I'll be able to get decent saints season tickets next year for the same price as a crappy seat at the Super Bowl so I'll be okay.

Nice. How do you like tulane and what do you think about NYC biglaw prospects coming out of it? (Needless to say if you're in the top 1/3). Do people come to tulane with NYC mindsets but than decide to stay and work in New Orleans?
Looks like 10/241 obtained biglaw. I think it would take a little bit of luck and a lot a bit of work in LS but I am sure it's possible. 19 grads ended up in New York total and I think it's safe to assume that they account for some of the 10 biglaw placements.

kuttlefish

Bronze

Post by kuttlefish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm

:shock: I thought the number of people on the waiting list was some ridiculous five figure number. Or have you been waiting that long?

And given that we're talking about most dangerous cites, I really shouldn't lol at Baton Rouge, but seeing how much unwarranted crap we get for what is essentially an isolated problem... well... ha ha! You're next, Slidell!

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

kuttlefish wrote: :shock: I thought the number of people on the waiting list was some ridiculous five figure number. Or have you been waiting that long?

And given that we're talking about most dangerous cites, I really shouldn't lol at Baton Rouge, but seeing how much unwarranted crap we get for what is essentially an isolated problem... well... ha ha! You're next, Slidell!
whoa whoa whoa, what you sayin about Slidell? :P

elliephant

New

Post by elliephant » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

So I know schools probably get flooded with apps after the Dec LSAT scores are released in January, but could anyone give me an idea of the typical time-line for Tulane decisions?

I submitted at the beginning of January, it took over a week before the acknowledged my file as complete, and since then there has been no movement. How long does it usually take Tulane before they put it under review?

It seems every other school I've applied to had the file complete by the next day and under review the day after that and decisions rendered within 1-2 weeks. I know that's probably absurdly fast and I shouldn't use those schools as a typical model, but dang Tulane, why you gotta be so slow?

haha anyone else feeling the same?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Looks like 10/241 obtained biglaw. I think it would take a little bit of luck and a lot a bit of work in LS but I am sure it's possible. 19 grads ended up in New York total and I think it's safe to assume that they account for some of the 10 biglaw placements.
Big law prospects are minimal in general, but they are really not that different from peer schools (i.e. schools not T18+BC and BU). Generally, Tulane's OCI is primarily from firms Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Birmingham, Jackson, Baton Rouge, certain NYC firms, and random other firms in other locations. As for NYC specifically, top 15% was enough when I went through OCI in 2010.

princessofpower

New

Post by princessofpower » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm

elliephant wrote:So I know schools probably get flooded with apps after the Dec LSAT scores are released in January, but could anyone give me an idea of the typical time-line for Tulane decisions?

I submitted at the beginning of January, it took over a week before the acknowledged my file as complete, and since then there has been no movement. How long does it usually take Tulane before they put it under review?

It seems every other school I've applied to had the file complete by the next day and under review the day after that and decisions rendered within 1-2 weeks. I know that's probably absurdly fast and I shouldn't use those schools as a typical model, but dang Tulane, why you gotta be so slow?

haha anyone else feeling the same?
I applied in mid-November and still haven't received a decision! I've gotten acceptances from all the other schools I applied to except for 1... I'm shocked that Tulane has moved so slow.

kuttlefish

Bronze

Post by kuttlefish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 pm

nolabreeze wrote:
kuttlefish wrote: :shock: I thought the number of people on the waiting list was some ridiculous five figure number. Or have you been waiting that long?

All I'm saying is that there are certain people (not you necessarily) from slidell, da parish, the northshore, baton rouge, etc. who say things like "New Orleans is a fun town to get drunk in, but I wouldn't want to live there... You'll probably get shot" mixed with some not-so-subtle racial epithets. My point is that the violence is actually worse in some of those places because it's not so isolated. Yes, New Orleans has a drug/murder problem, but if you're not caught up in the drug/murder game, it's as safe as any other city and a whole lot more fun. And now the FBI has officially acknowledged that truth, that's all... :wink:

Edit: and for those in this thread who are not from the area and want a good picture of the city, Anthony Bourdain's episode of The Layover from a few nights ago did a pretty decent job. It's the first of those travel shows that i've seen that managed to authentically capture the city and surrounding areas and list some not-so-obvious restaurants and bars. None of that crap like: "oooh, cher. gumbo party on da bourbon street, but watch out fo those voodoo zombie gators, aieeee!"

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 am

kuttlefish wrote:
nolabreeze wrote:

All I'm saying is that there are certain people (not you necessarily) from slidell, da parish, the northshore, baton rouge, etc. who say things like "New Orleans is a fun town to get drunk in, but I wouldn't want to live there... You'll probably get shot" mixed with some not-so-subtle racial epithets. My point is that the violence is actually worse in some of those places because it's not so isolated. Yes, New Orleans has a drug/murder problem, but if you're not caught up in the drug/murder game, it's as safe as any other city and a whole lot more fun. And now the FBI has officially acknowledged that truth, that's all... :wink:

Edit: and for those in this thread who are not from the area and want a good picture of the city, Anthony Bourdain's episode of The Layover from a few nights ago did a pretty decent job. It's the first of those travel shows that i've seen that managed to authentically capture the city and surrounding areas and list some not-so-obvious restaurants and bars. None of that crap like: "oooh, cher. gumbo party on da bourbon street, but watch out fo those voodoo zombie gators, aieeee!"
I guess I always thought of da parish, slidell, metry, etc to be "NOLA". And I second that NOLA isn't some crazy crime filled city. If you're smart and know where not to go - like in any city - you won't run into trouble. There are so many little things about NOLA that make it great and Tulane was always well regarded in the area (I have 4 aunts, my mom, and 2 cousins that went there). I loved growing up there and I know many people that have moved there and loved it too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nirvanah

New

Post by nirvanah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 am

i went complete 1/4. No movement until today. It's just a "status update" date...I guess I'll get a decision soon?

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

i was complete on 11/20/12, status update 12/3/2012. still at 12/3...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

cnk wrote:i was complete on 11/20/12, status update 12/3/2012. still at 12/3...
Tulane sure is taking their sweet time.
But... I guess if you're planning to go to school in NOLA you should start getting used to it...

nirvanah

New

Post by nirvanah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Probably have to wait extra this week because of mardi gras

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cooldude87

Bronze

Post by cooldude87 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm

In w/20k, the email went to my spam folder, maybe that's a sign lol, I'll probably withdraw soon, paying 25k+living for Tulane is not worth it imo.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:05 pm

nirvanah wrote:Probably have to wait extra this week because of mardi gras
Ha. prob. 8)

Anyone has any opinion on the national reach of tulane? NYC? I'm assuming CA is out

trixy

New

Post by trixy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Got in via email two days ago with 25k/year

nmlf16

Bronze

Post by nmlf16 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 pm

Just withdrew, good luck to everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

elliephant

New

Post by elliephant » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 pm

trixy wrote:Got in via email two days ago with 25k/year
what date did you submit?

SAlpha

New

Post by SAlpha » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:31 pm

In with 5k/year via email and status checker was complete 11/19.

Will likely withdraw as USC is a much better option for me at this point.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm

SAlpha wrote:In with 5k/year via email and status checker was complete 11/19.

Will likely withdraw as USC is a much better option for me at this point.
Did you just get in now via email (Monday morning)?

SAlpha

New

Post by SAlpha » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Yep, email was sent at 11:09 EST.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 pm

SAlpha wrote:Yep, email was sent at 11:09 EST.
Congrats. My complete date just changed last week to 1/29

It's been a while with tulane. Hoping for a decision this week

Jredelman15

Bronze

Post by Jredelman15 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Accepted this morning with 7.5k/yr scholly. Looking to go to UH but if they don't offer money I may be at Tulane next year.

nirvanah

New

Post by nirvanah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm

congrats :)

jdredelman, i think ive seen you on the smu threads. I live in dallas, and I have apps to both schools as well. I didnt consider Houston. I figure if i'm gonna be in Texas, it's either for UT or SMU :) Congrats on Tulane. My appl updated 1/31....really hoping for some movement this week. I figured it wouldnt move because of Mardi Gras, but Im glad to see you guys getting admits (with some money too)

princessofpower

New

Post by princessofpower » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Accepted today as well with $20k/year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”