BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayJones78

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm

AMilfordMan wrote:I've heard modern Jesuits tend to the more liberal religious side, and this confirmation is a good thing. I would certainly prefer a more collegial, social justice minded law school over a more prestigious, academic-heavyweight school.

Thankfully, it seems like BC might be a mix of both and at least some of that must arise from their Jesuit tradition.

Totally agree.
I'm trying to find reasons for the BC vs. W&L debate, if I get to that point.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:I've heard modern Jesuits tend to the more liberal religious side, and this confirmation is a good thing. I would certainly prefer a more collegial, social justice minded law school over a more prestigious, academic-heavyweight school.

Thankfully, it seems like BC might be a mix of both and at least some of that must arise from their Jesuit tradition.

Totally agree.

BC/W&L comes down to this, basically:

BC has the Biglaw edge
W&L has the clerkship edge
BC if you like cities
W&L if you like small towns

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Circlewave wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Totally agree.

BC has the Biglaw edge
BC if you like cities

Nice way of looking at it :)
In actually pretty drawn to life in a super small town. Coming from a big city and growing up in a big city it seems like a great once in a lifetime experience.
I would say they pretty much equal in alumni connection/affiliation/help etc no?
I hear a lot about the alumni bonding of both schools.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Circlewave wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Totally agree.

BC has the Biglaw edge
BC if you like cities

Nice way of looking at it :)
In actually pretty drawn to life in a super small town. Coming from a big city and growing up in a big city it seems like a great once in a lifetime experience.
I would say they pretty much equal in alumni connection/affiliation/help etc no?
I hear a lot about the alumni bonding of both schools.

Pretty good summary. I do want to add that if you live in Brookline, Newton, or even parts of Cambridge, you don't really get the "bit city" feel in comparison to the "downtown" areas of most cities. Newton and Brookline in particular are fairly suburban, but still not boring.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

skri65 wrote:[Pretty good summary. I do want to add that if you live in Brookline, Newton, or even parts of Cambridge, you don't really get the "bit city" feel in comparison to the "downtown" areas of most cities. Newton and Brookline in particular are fairly suburban, but still not boring.

I've also heard (from my SO) that Boston is really small in comparison to most cities. I feel you would really get that quaint feel from BC, especially since it's not even in Boston proper.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

teiswei wrote:
skri65 wrote:[Pretty good summary. I do want to add that if you live in Brookline, Newton, or even parts of Cambridge, you don't really get the "bit city" feel in comparison to the "downtown" areas of most cities. Newton and Brookline in particular are fairly suburban, but still not boring.

I've also heard (from my SO) that Boston is really small in comparison to most cities. I feel you would really get that quaint feel from BC, especially since it's not even in Boston proper.

I hear the same. I know many people who live in Boston and they really like it.
For me, NU is still a clear #1 but if I don't get in ( :cry: ) I would really like to get into BC. Ten a decision between BC and W&L will be really hard. I'm equally drawn to BC as I am to W&L. Then again, they already said they want me :oops:
For me, the Jesuit affiliation is a big draw.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

For me, NU is still a clear #1 but if I don't get in ( :cry: ) I would really like to get into BC. Ten a decision between BC and W&L will be really hard. I'm equally drawn to BC as I am to W&L. Then again, they already said they want me :oops:

Just visit BC. If you know someone that lives in Boston have them take you around.

I personally love it here. But my NYC friends come here and don't quite "get it". Every single one of them comes here and is underwhelmed. If that is what you expect, they are very different cities. Boston is a very livable city with very interesting roots (I love the Irish pubs that are everywhere and love the north end for the European feel), fun sports teams, and for the people who grew up here (I did not, my SO did) there is a lot of dedication and loyalty to their own. For what it is worth, not all of Boston is like this. Newton and Brookline are more yuppy (some of the mansions in Brookline are absurd), and Allston/Brighton is filled with mostly college students. This is not to say that these places are bad places to live, but you should do your research first. It depends on what you want and what you value.
Last edited by skri65 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm

skri65 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

Just visit BC. If you know someone that lives in Boston have them take you around.

I personally love it here. But my NYC friends come here and don't quite "get it". If that is what you expect, they are very different cities. Boston is a very livable city with very interesting roots (I love the Irish pubs that are everywhere and love the north end for the European feel), fun sports teams, and for the people who grew up here (I did not, my SO did) there is a lot of dedication and loyalty to their own. For what it is worth, not all of Boston is like this. Newton and Brookline are more yuppy (some of the mansions in Brookline are absurd), and Allston/Brighton is filled with mostly college students. This is not to say that these places are bad places to live, but you should do your research first.

Thanks for this. If Im admitted I most definitely visit before making a decision. Eve the g you said a big draw for me and when I combine it with the Jesuit heritege everything is even magnified. Plus the great biglaw numbers of BC are also a huge deal since I am not expecting high dollars from anyone.
On that note, does BC give any need based aid?

mg7

Postby mg7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

JayJones78 wrote:does BC give any need based aid?

Yes, they make you fill out the NeedAccess form, which I am currently filling out. If you haven't started already, I highly suggest you start now because this form is way more annoying than FAFSA.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

mg7 wrote:

Yes, they make you fill out the NeedAccess form, which I am currently filling out. If you haven't started already, I highly suggest you start now because this form is way more annoying than FAFSA.

Thanks! Are there any indications or information and how much they (and other schools) give in need based aid? I keep hearing need based aid for law school is pretty much non existing.

mg7

Postby mg7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
mg7 wrote:

Thanks! Are there any indications or information and how much they (and other schools) give in need based aid? I keep hearing need based aid for law school is pretty much non existing.

Not really, but they do say that need-based funds are very tight.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:28 am

Just got home from a BC admitted students reception at the Ritz Carlton, great food, open bar. The alumni and faculty made a wonderful impression. Really reinforced the collegiate, cooperative, and warm environment at BC. Everyone was very friendly. Especially made a great impression for the area of law I'm interested in. Now it's just a matter of whether or not I'd want to live in Boston. And scholly. Everyone seemed to have managed great jobs, even international. HTH

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 am

Come on BC. Let's go steady, you know you want to.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:... BC admitted students reception at the Ritz Carlton, great food, open bar...

Now we're talking.

whatsup2b

Postby whatsup2b » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

What's up with BC Law's steady drop in us news rankings?

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am

whatsup2b wrote:What's up with BC Law's steady drop in us news rankings?

It's been between 26 and 29 for at least the last 8 years. In 2008 it was ranked 29, and then became 26 the year after. I wouldn't call BC's rank at 29 anything more than the natural fluctuation of it's ranking over the last decade+.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm

About the ranking...

What is it about BC that makes its reputation among lawyers/firms exceed its US News rank by so much? Or rather, what is it about the US News ranking system that undervalues BC?

I know that Emory, Wash U, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Fordham, etc. are considered peer schools, but they don't seem to place nearly as well as BC.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Tremendous wrote:About the ranking...

What is it about BC that makes its reputation among lawyers/firms exceed its US News rank by so much? Or rather, what is it about the US News ranking system that undervalues BC?

I know that Emory, Wash U, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Fordham, etc. are considered peer schools, but they don't seem to place nearly as well as BC.

Well the the LSAT median at BC is lower than all of the schools you mentioned so that decreases its rank. Beyond that, I really don't know. BC's placement relative to its medians are second to none IMO. I think what it comes down to is that Boston loves BC. I'm not sure what the history is there, but it's true. I know that BU was ranked in the 30s in the 1990s, so perhaps law firms in Boston have historically preferred BC graduates, even though now BU ranks higher.

Part of what helps BC (and BU) is that the legal market in Boston is pretty big (it is obviously no LA or NYC, but still sizeable), but people that graduate from the T14 generally don't want to work in Boston so there is a whole lot of work left to the non-T14'ers. When you combine that with the huge gap in prestige between BC/BU and the other Boston schools (Northeastern/Suffolk), you arrive at an employment situation that is very favorable to BC.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm

skri65 wrote:

Well the the LSAT median at BC is lower than all of the schools you mentioned so that decreases its rank. Beyond that, I really don't know. BC's placement relative to its medians are second to none IMO. I think what it comes down to is that Boston loves BC. I'm not sure what the history is there, but it's true. I know that BU was ranked in the 30s in the 1990s, so perhaps law firms in Boston have historically preferred BC graduates, even though now BU ranks higher.

Part of what helps BC (and BU) is that the legal market in Boston is pretty big (it is obviously no LA or NYC, but still sizeable), but people that graduate from the T14 generally don't want to work in Boston so there is a whole lot of work left to the non-T14'ers. When you combine that with the huge gap in prestige between BC/BU and the other Boston schools (Northeastern/Suffolk), you arrive at an employment situation that is very favorable to BC.

Thanks for this. Definitely interesting because I was wondering the same thing.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm agonizing over my BC decision. Is sending in an updated resume too much?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 pm

JesusChrist wrote:I'm agonizing over my BC decision. Is sending in an updated resume too much?

Based on your screen name your'e a lock. 8)

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm

BC feeds into a decent market (Boston). Atlanta's market isn't large and gets a decent amount of T14 people applying to it. I don't know another about Washington or Minnesota, really. Notre Dame and Fordham feed into inundated markets with higher ranked schools occupying most of the space.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:I'm agonizing over my BC decision. Is sending in an updated resume too much?

Based on your screen name your'e a lock. 8)

I hear they don't take kindly to false prophets.

Greyhound42

Postby Greyhound42 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Yet another status update today. Anyone else? I've been through "under review" many times now, BC is the last school I'm waiting to hear from.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:Yet another status update today. Anyone else? I've been through "under review" many times now, BC is the last school I'm waiting to hear from.

Same. This will be my fourth or fifth update?

Third update since going complete (not including that weird day with the DR -> complete thing).
Last edited by dproduct on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”