BC 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Gold

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by dproduct » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I see this:

Current Status Date: 12/11/2012

But then wonder... is it?

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

dproduct wrote:I see this:

Mine is stuck at UR 11/28/2012...

Wondering the same thing :x

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:57 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
dproduct wrote:I see this:

Mine is stuck at UR 11/28/2012...

Wondering the same thing :x
I'm also stuck on 11/28. And people with my stats have already been accepted, so not feeling too great about it. But whatever.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 am

skri65 wrote:With negotiation in mind, anyone have a guess what BC would consider peer schools besides BU? For example, UC Davis, Washington & Lee and William and Mary are all peer in terms of rankings, but would BC consider them peer considering BC's somewhat superior job prospects (biglaw) and location (major city)? Trying to see if BC would budge in terms of negotiation with either of the above three (or a full ride at schools in the 50-60 range)..

FWIW, no one has received scholly's yet from BC, this is all hypothetical..

Edit: UIUC? University of Indiana?
WUSTL and Notre Dame could probably be added to that list.

PerezNY

New

Post by PerezNY » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
PedroPerezJr07 wrote:I got in last week.

I really threw a Hail Mary to a bunch of schools hoping to get lucky. I guess it really isn't just a numbers game with BC.

3.38/ 158 :shock:

URM with pretty good softs. Hopefully I'll see some of you around in the fall.

Congrats to the admits and good luck to everyone else.
Gonna go out on a limb and say that possibly URM status changes things. Look at NYUs numbers and laugh.
I'm not sure what your reference to NYU suggests.

I'm positive the URM status changed things. No doubt about that, but I'd like to think my time spent outside of the classroom was a determining factor in what seems to be a pretty big exception. I'm certain there are enough URM applicants with numbers above both 25th percentiles (as opposed to mine, that are below both) they would be able to admit.

Just an opinion, though. Either way, whatever it was I'm happy I'm in and stoked for everybody else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:55 pm

PerezNY wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

I really threw a Hail Mary to a bunch of schools hoping to get lucky. I guess it really isn't just a numbers game with BC.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that possibly URM status changes things. Look at NYUs numbers and laugh.

I'm positive the URM status changed things. No doubt about that, but I'd like to think my time spent outside of the classroom was a determining factor in what seems to be a pretty big exception. I'm certain there are enough URM applicants with numbers above both 25th percentiles (as opposed to mine, that are below both) they would be able to admit.

Just an opinion, though. Either way, whatever it was I'm happy I'm in and stoked for everybody else.

Oh. Hello there. Elephant in the room.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

PerezNY wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

I think romanticegotist was disputing your statement that "it really isn't just a numbers game with BC." With BC and the vast majority of law schools, the correct statement would be that 'it isn't just a numbers game if you're a URM.' I do think your softs were likely a determining factor in getting into BC given your numbers, but a non-URM with the same numbers would most likely not have received that same chance.

PerezNY

New

Post by PerezNY » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm

andy261 wrote:
PerezNY wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

I think romanticegotist was disputing your statement that "it really isn't just a numbers game with BC." With BC and the vast majority of law schools, the correct statement would be that 'it isn't just a numbers game if you're a URM.' I do think your softs were likely a determining factor in getting into BC given your numbers, but a non-URM with the same numbers would most likely not have received that same chance.
Lol @ Bluegreen

@andy261 Well said. It is what it is. I wasn't upset by any of the posts or anything, btw... all good!

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 pm

PerezNY wrote:It is what it is. I wasn't upset by any of the posts or anything, btw... all good!
Yeah regardless of any of our opinions, it is what it is. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah I'm a pretty big believer that law schools look at too narrow a range of applicants anyway so no doubting your bona fides. Maybe I'm just growing bitter as I keep refreshing status pages.

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Does everyone else have "First Deposit" and "Second Deposit" under the Fees section on their Applicant Status page?

Hoping against hope that this might be a positive sign but I doubt it's anything significant!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

md22 wrote:Does everyone else have "First Deposit" and "Second Deposit" under the Fees section on their Applicant Status page?

Hoping against hope that this might be a positive sign but I doubt it's anything significant!
First Deposit 0.00 .00
Second Deposit 0.00 .00

sorry dude

md22

Bronze

Post by md22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00 pm

dproduct wrote:
md22 wrote:Does everyone else have "First Deposit" and "Second Deposit" under the Fees section on their Applicant Status page?

First Deposit 0.00 .00
Second Deposit 0.00 .00

sorry dude
Haha no worries figured it meant nothing! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Portatx

New

Post by Portatx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Pretty late to the game with this forum, but just thought I'd add my two cents. Realized that BC Admissions must take into account a lot more than just the hard stats. I got my acceptance via email two days ago, after BC placed my application on hold in December and asked to see my fall grades. I have a good gpa at a competitive NESCAC school, but my LSAT was a little low for BC. They must have really liked my resume and essay! Haven't received my packet in the mail yet, but hoping it'll come soon...So excited!!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Portatx wrote:Pretty late to the game with this forum, but just thought I'd add my two cents. Realized that BC Admissions must take into account a lot more than just the hard stats. I got my acceptance via email two days ago, after BC placed my application on hold in December and asked to see my fall grades. I have a good gpa at a competitive NESCAC school, but my LSAT was a little low for BC. They must have really liked my resume and essay! Haven't received my packet in the mail yet, but hoping it'll come soon...So excited!!
Congratulations!! Mind sharing stats?

Portatx

New

Post by Portatx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Not at all! I have a 3.67 gpa overall at a NESCAC school in New England. Last semester however I received a 3.85, which BC must have felt good about, since they only placed my application on hold until I could send in my grades. I have a 161 LSAT. I was surprised when I was admitted, although the Admissions committee had been in contact with me a few times before and had been very positive and warm. Must have been my resume and personal statement that helped me out...

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Last edited by skri65 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm

skri65 wrote:
Portatx wrote:Not at all! I have a 3.67 gpa overall at a NESCAC school in New England. Last semester however I received a 3.85, which BC must have felt good about, since they only placed my application on hold until I could send in my grades. I have a 161 LSAT. I was surprised when I was admitted, although the Admissions committee had been in contact with me a few times before and had been very positive and warm. Must have been my resume and personal statement that helped me out...
Congrats. Looks like BC has been looking beyond numbers this year, hopefully it doesn't hurt them too much in terms of ranking. If you don't mind me asking, are you a URM?
I sure hope they are looking beyond the numbers.... 151/3.41 non trad URM here. I got accepted to W&L last week which gave me some hope for BC.
I come from a fellow Jesuit college and I wonder if that plays well with them at all... :shock:

Portatx

New

Post by Portatx » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Nope. I am a non-URM. Again, it must have been my resume/p.s./recommendations that put me over the edge.

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Portatx wrote:Nope. I am a non-URM. Again, it must have been my resume/p.s./recommendations that put me over the edge.
Wow impressive. You must have wrote a killer PS and done some great stuff with your spare time. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 pm

skri65 wrote:
Portatx wrote:Nope. I am a non-URM. Again, it must have been my resume/p.s./recommendations that put me over the edge.
Wow impressive. You must have wrote a killer PS and done some great stuff with your spare time. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!
+1

Here's t hoping I'll hear from them by the end of the week...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Oh shit, status just changed within the last 30 minutes from UR 12/6 to "Decision Rendered" 1/17

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Have they "rendered" anyone a rejection yet?

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

FranielMcbrodude wrote:Has anyone else's 'decision rendered' update read
A decision has been made on your application to Boston College Law School by the Admissions Committee. A decision letter will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service within 3 days from the Decision Status Date and will be sent to your PERMANENT address. If a decision is made after January 15, 2013, the Decision letter was mailed to your current address.
If not, I'm thinking I was rejected...

Crap. Mine just says
A decision has been rendered on your application to Boston College Law School. Decisions will be sent via e-mail.

Best,

Boston College Law School
Admissions Office

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
FranielMcbrodude wrote:Has anyone else's 'decision rendered' update read
A decision has been made on your application to Boston College Law School by the Admissions Committee. A decision letter will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service within 3 days from the Decision Status Date and will be sent to your PERMANENT address. If a decision is made after January 15, 2013, the Decision letter was mailed to your current address.
If not, I'm thinking I was rejected...

Crap. Mine just says
A decision has been rendered on your application to Boston College Law School. Decisions will be sent via e-mail.

Best,

Boston College Law School
Admissions Office
Good luck! I'm rooting for you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”