BC 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ehumanzada

New

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by ehumanzada » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 am

Omg what is taking them so long to make a decision on me?? I submited in end of january and been under review since the 27th. Do they accept after the deposit date too?

Hrun

New

Post by Hrun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:26 am

ks2499 wrote:Me too. Does the required documents section under financial aid mean they won't release final finaid info until we send in tax returns and w-2s?
A little frustrating especially since I called them two weeks ago asking if they need my W2s and tax returns since I completed the need based aid forms. They said no. They said they would request it if they needed it, but probably not.

Inconceivable!

Bronze

Post by Inconceivable! » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am

Hrun wrote:
ks2499 wrote:Me too. Does the required documents section under financial aid mean they won't release final finaid info until we send in tax returns and w-2s?
A little frustrating especially since I called them two weeks ago asking if they need my W2s and tax returns since I completed the need based aid forms. They said no. They said they would request it if they needed it, but probably not.
My financial Aid Award is up on Agora (just the Stafford loan) Apparently you apply for the Grad-plus loans in late summer. After a quick perusal of their financial aid website, it looks all those forms you have to send verifying your financial info happens after you put down your second seat deposit.

Edit: I just completed my need access last night and FAFSA about 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure if they factored that in.

:arrow: Although I can't find info on how/where to submit our seat deposits...anyone know?
Last edited by Inconceivable! on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am

Inconceivable! wrote:
Hrun wrote:
My financial Aid Award is up on Agora (just the Stafford loan) Apparently you apply for the Grad-plus loans in late summer. After a quick perusal of their financial aid website, it looks all those forms you have to send verifying your financial info happens after you put down your second seat deposit.

Although I can't find info on how/where to submit our seat deposits...anyone know?
You have to mail it... they sent a form with the acceptance packet

question7

New

Post by question7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:42 am

mail it? can't guarantee that it will get there by Monday then...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laura0862

New

Post by laura0862 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

question7 wrote:mail it? can't guarantee that it will get there by Monday then...
It needs to be postmarked by Monday.

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

question7 wrote:mail it? can't guarantee that it will get there by Monday then...
It doesn't have to get there monday. Like with just about anything, it just has to be postmarked before then.

laura0862

New

Post by laura0862 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 am

Inconceivable! wrote:
Hrun wrote:

Edit: I just completed my need access last night and FAFSA about 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure if they factored that in.

:arrow: Although I can't find info on how/where to submit our seat deposits...anyone know?
I'm going to be really optimistic and hope that applicants who are just getting stafford loans are already up and the ones who are waiting are getting some $$... :) I can hope!

delizabeth10

New

Post by delizabeth10 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 am

ehumanzada wrote:Omg what is taking them so long to make a decision on me?? I submited in end of january and been under review since the 27th. Do they accept after the deposit date too?
I feel your pain. Also submitted end of January. First (and only) movement was a 3/25 update. I'm tempted to call to ask if they anticipate decisions will be reached by end of week, but don't want to come off as badgering.

UPDATE: I called and was told that I should expect a decision by tomorrow. The woman I spoke with advised that they're in the final stages of making a decision for people with the 3/25 review dates. She said they wanted to get all of the January/early February applicants' decisions out this week. Obviously can't take this as absolute, but it's at least encouraging
Last edited by delizabeth10 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:50 am

Make sure you really look through it all. For example, the status on my financial aid is "conditional" which means it's incomplete. When you check the fin aid link http://www.bc.edu/finaidapp it says that it may take them several weeks to "receive" your stuff. For mine, even though i sent the need access on Mar 15, they didn't "receive" it until 4/11. So I should be getting more than just the scholarship and federal loan (FAFSA).

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

Gcastle wrote:Make sure you really look through it all. For example, the status on my financial aid is "conditional" which means it's incomplete. When you check the fin aid link http://www.bc.edu/finaidapp it says that it may take them several weeks to "receive" your stuff. For mine, even though i sent the need access on Mar 15, they didn't "receive" it until 4/11. So I should be getting more than just the scholarship and federal loan (FAFSA).
I received merit aid, but nothing at all is showing up here, except that they've received FAFSA and NeedAccess, but need by tax return, w-2. Maybe it depends on whether or not you're still in school/working? My brain hurts.

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm

ks2499 wrote:
Gcastle wrote:Make sure you really look through it all. For example, the status on my financial aid is "conditional" which means it's incomplete. When you check the fin aid link http://www.bc.edu/finaidapp it says that it may take them several weeks to "receive" your stuff. For mine, even though i sent the need access on Mar 15, they didn't "receive" it until 4/11. So I should be getting more than just the scholarship and federal loan (FAFSA).
I received merit aid, but nothing at all is showing up here, except that they've received FAFSA and NeedAccess, but need by tax return, w-2. Maybe it depends on whether or not you're still in school/working? My brain hurts.
You should call 'em up, i'd be interested to hear what they say.

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Well, this clears up some things... from http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/finaid.html

Upon your acceptance to the law school, an initial review of your processed FAFSA and Need Access data will take place and the Financial Aid Office will calculate a conditional award indicating your eligibility. Award letters are accessed via Boston College's intranet system known as the Agora Portal. You will be emailed credentials for accessing Agora shortly after admission.

Once you have submitted your second seat deposit, you will need to validate your conditional award by submitting additional documents to substantiate the information on your financial aid applications. The types of aid you are awarded will determine which documents are necessary to complete your file.

All students must submit the Incoming Law Student Validation Form, along with a signed copy of your 2012 federal income tax return with all schedules and all 2012 W-2(s) and 1099(s). The Law Validation Form will be available for download from the forms bank on the Student Services website after January 1, 2013. If you will not file your taxes by this time, a copy of the tax extension form must be submitted. In the case of extensions, copies of tax returns must be submitted upon completion.

Students who received a Law School Scholarship or Law School Loan in addition to federal Stafford loans must submit the above documents as well as copies of their parents' 2012 federal income tax return with all schedules and all 2012 W-2(s) and 1099(s).

After you have received a conditional award, you may check documents necessary to complete your file by clicking on the Financial Aid Status link on the My Services Tab in Agora. Please mail all financial aid documents to:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

ks2499 wrote:
Yeah, honestly, after looking through everything, it doesn't appear that anything is very clear. Our awards are conditional until we send in that validation form after the second deposit is due. So, it's not clear whether they've looked through my need access form, gonna call them.

lp871

New

Post by lp871 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Gcastle wrote:
It doesn't have to get there monday. Like with just about anything, it just has to be postmarked before then.

I just called to ask about the deposit deadline. I'm living abroad and haven't received my packet yet, which is why I called about when I need to mail a deposit by. Admission said because I was accepted on April 8th, my first deposit isn't until April 25th. I'm guessing this is the same for a lot of you.

I had pretty much given up on BC because they hadn't been that responsive and I thought I knew where I was going...but today I just got $25K/year from them. So excited - BC just shot up to my first choice.

Good luck everybody.
Last edited by lp871 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

question7

New

Post by question7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

please share info you get from your phone call - thanks

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:32 pm

lp871 wrote:
Gcastle wrote:

I just called to ask about the deposit deadline. I'm living abroad and haven't received my packet yet, which is why I called about when I need to mail a deposit by. Admission said because I was accepted on April 8th, my first deposit isn't until April 25th. I'm guess this is the same for a lot of you.

I had pretty much given up on BC because they hadn't been that responsive and I thought I knew where I was going...but today I just got $25K/year from them. So excited - BC just shot up to my first choice.

Good luck everybody.
that's awesome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Just got off the phone with financial aid:

1) There most likely won't ever be a mailing/letter stating what your final aid package will be. We just gotta keep logging onto agora' or just call them.

2) In my case, I have not been reviewed yet for Need Access. I was told to call tomorrow afternoon, because I should be reviewed by then since i did submit that form on Mar 15. It may not show up on agora by tomorrow, but they'll be able to tell me verbally whether I have received any aid from BC (in addition to the merit scholarship and federal loan that do show up on my Agora portal)
Last edited by Gcastle on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshal26

New

Post by marshal26 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Do they need w-2 and tax return, or is FAFSA and NeedAccess all they need?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Submitted my deposit. See you in the fall!

Gcastle

New

Post by Gcastle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm

marshal26 wrote:Do they need w-2 and tax return, or is FAFSA and NeedAccess all they need?
I didn't ask, but according to the website http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/finaid.html, after we submit the second deposit:

All students must submit the Incoming Law Student Validation Form, along with a signed copy of your 2012 federal income tax return with all schedules and all 2012 W-2(s) and 1099(s).

p.s. I never had to submit w2/tax returns along with my fafsa/needaccess. and tomorrow i should know my total aid package

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

laura0862

New

Post by laura0862 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Gcastle wrote:Just got off the phone with financial aid:

1) There most likely won't ever be a mailing/letter stating what your final aid package will be. We just gotta keep logging onto agora' or just call them.

2) In my case, I have not been reviewed yet for Need Access. I was told to call tomorrow afternoon, because I should be reviewed by then since i did submit that form on Mar 15. It may not show up on agora by tomorrow, but they'll be able to tell me verbally whether I have received any aid from BC (in addition to the merit scholarship and federal loan that do show up on my Agora portal)
I called and got this same response. She said that Agora takes about 24 hours to update so even if they make the decision tomorrow, it will take some time to show up. I suggest calling if you need financial aid info before you put in your seat deposit.

PerezNY

New

Post by PerezNY » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Just received word about a scholly as well, 15k a yr.

I logged in to Agora to see my award info, and none is available. Are the stafford loan and scholly supposed to be up there, or has anyone seen a delay in them being posted as well? Thanks in advance.

Nonetheless, I'm set on BC, barring being taken off some WL's. Good luck to everyone.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:18 pm

I just sent an email saying I have to make a commitment by Tuesday (my top two schools that I've been accepted to are requiring it due to some scholly negotiating). My "in review" date is also 3/25. From reading some of this, that means they're making those decisions tomorrow?

Would it benefit me to call instead of just emailing? I like to have things in writing, but maybe I could get some better feedback if I called. I don't want to make a pest of myself, though.

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

PerezNY wrote:Just received word about a scholly as well, 15k a yr.

I logged in to Agora to see my award info, and none is available. Are the stafford loan and scholly supposed to be up there, or has anyone seen a delay in them being posted as well? Thanks in advance.

Nonetheless, I'm set on BC, barring being taken off some WL's. Good luck to everyone.

When did you receive notification of acceptance? Was there a sizable time lapse between acceptance and notification of scholarship awards?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”