BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ultrasajid

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ultrasajid » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Congrats, guys. Did you all submit around 1/10?

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:20 pm

still haven't heard back about merit based aid, this is getting worrisome... they're going to make me decide about where to spend 3 years of my life in the next 7 days.

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

anteater1 wrote:still haven't heard back about merit based aid, this is getting worrisome... they're going to make me decide about where to spend 3 years of my life in the next 7 days.

Have you emailed them at all with competing offers yet? I got an email within a week or two of sending em one with a scholly.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 pm

teachmehowtoraji wrote:
anteater1 wrote:still haven't heard back about merit based aid, this is getting worrisome... they're going to make me decide about where to spend 3 years of my life in the next 7 days.

Have you emailed them at all with competing offers yet? I got an email within a week or two of sending em one with a scholly.

Just emailed them right now, I've been out of the country for the past 2 weeks.

Hopefully they can give me an offer before Monday or I'll be submitting my SIR somewhere else :(

TUICE

Postby TUICE » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

anteater1 wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:

Just emailed them right now, I've been out of the country for the past 2 weeks.

Hopefully they can give me an offer before Monday or I'll be submitting my SIR somewhere else :(

I sent one last week, and sent essentially the same thing to BU. BU responded with no useful information and BC decided not to answer. Getting into law school has been such a blast, I cant wait to try and search for legal employment. should be even more fun. :shock:

laura0862

Postby laura0862 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Has anyone heard anything on when we are getting our logins for Agora? The website says that is where financial aid will be posted. I feel like they are cutting everything pretty close to April 15...

question7

Postby question7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:21 pm

called today - they are still working on "them" - they said I could call Friday and get it over the phone. no time for negotiation then.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:31 pm

question7 wrote:called today - they are still working on "them" - they said I could call Friday and get it over the phone. no time for negotiation then.

OMG. No time for negotiation. No time to ask for extension... This cycle is seriously getting ridiculous :evil:

nkime

Postby nkime » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm

zorro.99 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
zorro.99 wrote:Just FYI for anyone it applies to, I visited this weekend and they let me know that it's their policy not to give any scholarships to international students :(

What could possibly be the rationale for that?

I don't know!! It was extremely disappointing. The woman in the financial aid office told me "we just don't." I did talk to Jose in admissions afterward though and he said he would look into it further for me.

Thanks for the info. That's why they ignored my negotiation letter and the follow up letter. They finally said "no" to my letters after I called their office and waited two more days. The lady in the office said that not having US citizenship might be an issue.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

This is from the BC website:

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

All international students who do not hold U.S. citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency status should make arrangements for their financial obligations to Boston College Law School and for their entire stay in the United States before leaving their homeland. The availability of financial aid for international students is limited to scholarships based on the merit of their admission application. International students who apply for the Public Service Scholarship will also be considered, on the basis of their demonstrated commitment to Public Service work. There are some private companies that will make student loans to international students, but these companies all require a U.S. citizen as a co-signer on the loan application. Visa forms will be mailed to students once they have been accepted and have verified they can meet the financial obligations set by BC Law. All international students who do hold U.S. citizenship or are U.S. Permanent Residents are fully eligible to receive all types of financial aid.

It sounds like we should still be eligible for some merit scholarships... :evil:

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:This is from the BC website:

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

All international students who do not hold U.S. citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency status should make arrangements for their financial obligations to Boston College Law School and for their entire stay in the United States before leaving their homeland. The availability of financial aid for international students is limited to scholarships based on the merit of their admission application. International students who apply for the Public Service Scholarship will also be considered, on the basis of their demonstrated commitment to Public Service work. There are some private companies that will make student loans to international students, but these companies all require a U.S. citizen as a co-signer on the loan application. Visa forms will be mailed to students once they have been accepted and have verified they can meet the financial obligations set by BC Law. All international students who do hold U.S. citizenship or are U.S. Permanent Residents are fully eligible to receive all types of financial aid.

It sounds like we should still be eligible for some merit scholarships... :evil:

They said they changed their policy several years ago... ugh

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

zorro.99 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:This is from the BC website:

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

They said they changed their policy several years ago... ugh

wow.. they changed their policy, but not their website :(

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 am

waitlisted....i'm so confused by this cycle

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 am

happyshapy wrote:waitlisted....i'm so confused by this cycle

167/3.9? :shock:

I'm sure you have other great options.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I have okay options at this point. I've got a full ride to CU Boulder and Cardozo, 75k to Fordham, and 90k to GW. Penn waitlist, Columbia waitlist, Georgetown waitlist, and now BC waitlist. I got flat-out rejected by William and Mary.

I'm loosing hope....

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am

Applied early January...still haven't heard. 1 Update on 2/13. I'm embarrassed for them.

laura0862

Postby laura0862 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
question7 wrote:called today - they are still working on "them" - they said I could call Friday and get it over the phone. no time for negotiation then.

OMG. No time for negotiation. No time to ask for extension... This cycle is seriously getting ridiculous :evil:

Thanks for the info. I can't believe that. No time for anything!

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 am

happyshapy wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I have okay options at this point. I've got a full ride to CU Boulder and Cardozo, 75k to Fordham, and 90k to GW. Penn waitlist, Columbia waitlist, Georgetown waitlist, and now BC waitlist. I got flat-out rejected by William and Mary.

I'm loosing hope....

Hang in there :wink:

I'm also hoping for robust WL activities come May...

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:07 am

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I'm loosing hope....

Hang in there :wink:

I'm also hoping for robust WL activities come May...

yeah i think schools just have no idea what to do at this point...i thought this year was supposed to be easier to get in.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

happyshapy wrote:yeah i think schools just have no idea what to do at this point...i thought this year was supposed to be easier to get in.

GOOD LUCK! :mrgreen:

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

Waitlisted..No surprise here...It was apparent that BC was going to waitlist a bunch of us because they messed up their timetable and want more time. Completely unprofessional if you ask me. Oh well, I'll be staying on it. Will probably be at BU if in Boston

Edit: this definitely comes off as sour grapes..didn't mean it to be...BC just struck me as a little off-putting this cycle

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 pm

happyshapy wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:

I'm loosing hope....

90 k to gw is pretty decent if u are ip person. I got decent money from bc but nothing from gw

b123

Postby b123 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Has anyone asked for a deadline extension? Is that even possible? (I wasn't given a scholarship until a lot later)

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 pm

What has everyone's experience been with turnaround time? If they go the full 12 weeks, I'll probably already have signed an apartment lease somewhere else.
GRRRRR RAWRRRR

ME->GA08

Postby ME->GA08 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I've been under review for about a month now, and I just sent an email that says something to the effect of: "Any guess when I'll find out? Deadlines are coming up and I would like to have all possible information at my disposal."

I urge you all to do the same thing. Unless I get dinged. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”