BC 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maxmartin

Silver

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by maxmartin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm

BlazersTime wrote:BC has always been very prompt in responding to my emails, admittance, scholarship and what not. I'm not even a super star candidate
not me, shoot them an email, nothing happened in the past 3 weeks

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I haven't bad any issues, at most it took 2 days to hear back, but they always had the answer when it took longer than a day.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

whatsup2b wrote:Is BC Law worth sticker? I went to ASD and it seems like most people plan to pay sticker
I was surprised to notice this as well.

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:18 pm

whatsup2b wrote:Is BC Law worth sticker? I went to ASD and it seems like most people plan to pay sticker
Don't want to bash people for paying sticker, but honestly there are very few law schools (probably only 3 for sure) that are worth that much, and BC is not one of them.

With the market the way it is today, it is an absolutely huge gamble.

But then again, I don't know other people's situations or level of confidence in their ability to accomplish what they have in mind.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Is BC Law worth sticker? I went to ASD and it seems like most people plan to pay sticker
Perhaps some/many have family money, so they have a source of funding other than loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Hey guys, I recently went to BC's ASD and really liked the school. The people seem great and the employment stats (specifically big law) are well above their peer schools. So I am wondering if someone knows why their rank keeps dropping over the last couple of years? Please refrain from the US News bashing, i understand we have to look at the rankings with a grain of salt and I don't put high weight in them, but just want to know what's causing the drop in rank and if its something that should be a cause for long term concern. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:01 pm

ls23 wrote:Hey guys, I recently went to BC's ASD and really liked the school. The people seem great and the employment stats (specifically big law) are well above their peer schools. So I am wondering if someone knows why their rank keeps dropping over the last couple of years? Please refrain from the US News bashing, i understand we have to look at the rankings with a grain of salt and I don't put high weight in them, but just want to know what's causing the drop in rank and if its something that should be a cause for long term concern. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance!

Possibly cost of attendance and competition/over-saturated north-east market.

At least it didn't take as hard of a hit as Fordham who has comparable stats and COA.

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:26 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
ls23 wrote:Hey guys, I recently went to BC's ASD and really liked the school. The people seem great and the employment stats (specifically big law) are well above their peer schools. So I am wondering if someone knows why their rank keeps dropping over the last couple of years? Please refrain from the US News bashing, i understand we have to look at the rankings with a grain of salt and I don't put high weight in them, but just want to know what's causing the drop in rank and if its something that should be a cause for long term concern. Any insight would be great, thanks in advance!

At least it didn't take as hard of a hit as Fordham who has comparable stats and COA.

But if you look at the tuition for other schools that BC considers peers and compare its big law numbers in an saturated market they are still faring better than most, which is what is confusing me...

drinion

Bronze

Post by drinion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

BC's "assessment score by lawyers/judges" is lower than any higher-ranked school. That's the metric that it seems to fair comparably poor in. I forget what its score was last year, but 3.7 is surprisingly low. For comparison, the next two lower-ranked schools have scores of 4.0.
Last edited by drinion on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm

drinion wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

BC's "assessment score by lawyers/judges" is lower than any higher ranked school. That's the metric that it seems to fair comparably poor in. I forget what its score was last year, but 3.7 is surprisingly low. For comparison, the next two lower-ranked schools have scores of 4.0.
Yep so was SMU, have very decent employment number, but killed in the peer judgement.

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

maxmartin wrote:
drinion wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

BC's "assessment score by lawyers/judges" is lower than any higher ranked school. That's the metric that it seems to fair comparably poor in. I forget what its score was last year, but 3.7 is surprisingly low. For comparison, the next two lower-ranked schools have scores of 4.0.
Yep so was SMU, have very decent employment number, but killed in the peer judgement.
That's interesting, they biggest thing that's made BC one of my top choices was the reputation it has in Boston and the strong network in Boston, so why the low industry assessment score?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:44 pm

ls23 wrote:
drinion wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

That's interesting, they biggest thing that's made BC one of my top choices was the reputation it has in Boston and the strong network in Boston, so why the low industry assessment score?
I believe assessment is nation wide not just great Boston region, one thing boost BC big law figure because of Ropes&Grey

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 pm

maxmartin wrote:
ls23 wrote:

I believe assessment is nation wide not just great Boston region, one thing boost BC big law figure because of Ropes&Grey[/quote]

uhh the assessment scores are so unreliable and empirically worthless. you need to get all things USNWR out of your head, it is a shit methodology and USNWR has you right where they want you, thinking about the shit they pump out on a year to year basis. FULL DISCLOSURE: I do NOT go to BC

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 am

WL'd this morning. I'll just add them to the list.

Rheastoria

New

Post by Rheastoria » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 am

stillwater wrote: uhh the assessment scores are so unreliable and empirically worthless. you need to get all things USNWR out of your head, it is a shit methodology and USNWR has you right where they want you, thinking about the shit they pump out on a year to year basis. FULL DISCLOSURE: I do NOT go to BC
+1

Forget USNWR. Look at how the law school does in the market you want to work in. If you want to live and work in Boston, BC is a good option. If you want to work in CA, BC makes no sense. There are only a few law schools with serious national reach, so the best option is to go to the best school you can get into that has ties to the area in which you want to work.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 am

uhh the assessment scores are so unreliable and empirically worthless.
Perhaps, but its better than anything else. :P
BC's "assessment score by lawyers/judges" is lower than any higher ranked school.
Incorrect. BC, #31, is behind ASU, which has a 3.5. Iowa, #26, also has a 3.7, as does Alabama, #21.

Personally, I follow the peer assessment scores (instead of judges): BC is s 3.3. BU is 3.4. ASU is 3.0. W&L is also 3.3. Much higher ranked, George Washington, is only a 3.4.

So, under a very quick scan, BC is ranked with its competition.

(The reason I follow PA is that I believe it more closely aligns with national rep.)

drinion

Bronze

Post by drinion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Big Dog wrote:
BC's "assessment score by lawyers/judges" is lower than any higher ranked school.
Incorrect. BC, #31, is behind ASU, which has a 3.5. Iowa, #26, also has a 3.7, as does Alabama, #21.

Personally, I follow the peer assessment scores (instead of judges): BC is s 3.3. BU is 3.4. ASU is 3.0. W&L is also 3.3. Much higher ranked, George Washington, is only a 3.4.

(The reason I follow PA is that I believe it more closely aligns with national rep.)
I missed those, my bad.

Also, where do you see the peer scores? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xodaryll

New

Post by xodaryll » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Waitlisted today to conclude my cycle! If a waitlist can be called a conclusion..

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Also, where do you see the peer scores? I can't seem to find them on the website.
Have to subscribe to the online service, and then a whole lotta other "data" becomes available.

drinion

Bronze

Post by drinion » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Have to subscribe to the online service, and then a whole lotta other "data" becomes available.
I have subscribed... I'll look again.

Ah, it's under the "ranking" subsection.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Withdrew from the waitlist today. Best of luck to everyone else with their cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pcjudge

New

Post by pcjudge » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarships?

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:36 pm

pcjudge wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarships?

Has anyone gotten in to this god damn school? Hahaha

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Big Dog wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone! But I was also curious about the trend downward, I guess just looking for people's opinion about the trend and if anyone knows if the school is doing anything about it.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

ls23 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone! But I was also curious about the trend downward, I guess just looking for people's opinion about the trend and if anyone knows if the school is doing anything about it.
Being a great regional school can be a double blade, maybe it is just self-selection, most BC graduates like to stay Boston region and are doing very well

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”