BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatownsme

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby lsatownsme » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Complete 1/10 and a first update today!

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elle002

Postby Elle002 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 pm

So here's a question for those who have already received their admission packet:

Did anyone else receive a separate letter mentioning their application and consideration for the public interest scholarship? The letter said that I would receive additional info within 2 weeks. I'm just impatient and trying to gauge my chances. I'm also curious if anyone knows how much this scholarship typically covers. I can't seem to find any specific info anywhere!

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 pm

My status just changed to 2/9.

Working on Saturday!? After a snow storm, no less.

mikeam

Postby mikeam » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Updated 2/7 for the second time. I feel like this is false hope of me hearing soon.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Elle002 wrote:So here's a question for those who have already received their admission packet:

Did anyone else receive a separate letter mentioning their application and consideration for the public interest scholarship? The letter said that I would receive additional info within 2 weeks. I'm just impatient and trying to gauge my chances. I'm also curious if anyone knows how much this scholarship typically covers. I can't seem to find any specific info anywhere!

I got this letter as well with my admissions packet in December. It did not say two weeks though but this may be encouraging that they are closer to finalizing PI scholarship decisions. I wouldn't be so antsy if it did not specifically state that they were waiting on this information for a merit scholarship offer. I think very few of the scholarships are full tuition if at all but for some reason I call thinking it was 1/3 to 1/2 generally but I have no sources to cite on that.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

In via phone call earlier this afternoon.

I wrote them a letter last week stating my interest, so maybe that helped?

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Tremendous wrote:In via phone call earlier this afternoon.

I wrote them a letter last week stating my interest, so maybe that helped?

Congrats!

b123

Postby b123 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Second (?) update today. Application completed late November.

jstacks

Postby jstacks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm

In via phone call today.
4.0/162

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 pm

When did you submit?

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 pm

JesusChrist wrote:When did you submit?

I submitted in early November. Had a couple updates in early January and one on 2/4.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Tremendous wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:When did you submit?

I submitted in early November. Had a couple updates in early January and one on 2/4.

Congrats man! Happy to hear the good news after the loci!

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:26 pm

I wish I had thought to do this loci thing sooner like you guys did. That's awesome.

djlmjs22

Postby djlmjs22 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 am

Deleted
Last edited by djlmjs22 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

LOCI is really for people who have been waitlisted or for people who have recent updates in their lives (i.e. a new job or position, started a new club at school, etc.)

if you haven't heard a decision from the admissions committee yet, i would definitely advise against an LOCI.
i'm a 0L and haven't discussed this with admissions people so don't take my word as fact, i just think you may be jumping the gun a bit by writing one before they've even given you a decision. Look on LSN, tons of people with fantastic numbers haven't heard back from schools yet. Let the admissions committee do their job and look over your application. I just personally wouldn't bug them unless you really have something to add to your application.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

djlmjs22 wrote:
Rory19 wrote:
Elle002 wrote:So here's a question for those who have already received their admission packet:

I got this letter as well with my admissions packet in December. It did not say two weeks though but this may be encouraging that they are closer to finalizing PI scholarship decisions. I wouldn't be so antsy if it did not specifically state that they were waiting on this information for a merit scholarship offer. I think very few of the scholarships are full tuition if at all but for some reason I call thinking it was 1/3 to 1/2 generally but I have no sources to cite on that.

I got a letter last week stating that I did not receive the PI scholarship. Then it went on to talk about how they understand how hard financially public interest law can be and gave me info on FAFSA and stuff. I haven't gotten any merit aid from them so it was a pretty big buzz kill for me.

Oh no! I was hoping that if the PI did not come through that there would be an additional letter with a merit aid award. I'll keep frantically checking my mailbox now.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 pm

szb5058 wrote:LOCI is really for people who have been waitlisted or for people who have recent updates in their lives (i.e. a new job or position, started a new club at school, etc.)

if you haven't heard a decision from the admissions committee yet, i would definitely advise against an LOCI.
i'm a 0L and haven't discussed this with admissions people so don't take my word as fact, i just think you may be jumping the gun a bit by writing one before they've even given you a decision. Look on LSN, tons of people with fantastic numbers haven't heard back from schools yet. Let the admissions committee do their job and look over your application. I just personally wouldn't bug them unless you really have something to add to your application.

I respect your opinion. But I was actually told by someoe at BU to right a letter of continued interest. I think it depends on the school and individual situations, but in a world of dwindling applicants and yield protection, it is far more complex than simply waiting for admissions committees to do their jobs. They are constantly comparing applicants and judging your likeliness of attendance.

szb5058

Postby szb5058 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
szb5058 wrote:LOCI is really for people who have been waitlisted or for people who have recent updates in their lives (i.e. a new job or position, started a new club at school, etc.)

I respect your opinion. But I was actually told by someoe at BU to right a letter of continued interest. I think it depends on the school and individual situations, but in a world of dwindling applicants and yield protection, it is far more complex than simply waiting for admissions committees to do their jobs. They are constantly comparing applicants and judging your likeliness of attendance.

well if someone at BU told you to write one you obviously should haha. i agree, obviously depends on the school, but as a general rule i personally wouldn't write one unless instructed to, put on a WL, or had some major change in my life for the better that would add to my application. I was just giving my 2 cents to anyone who's freaking out because they haven't heard back yet, but obviously do whatever you'd like

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Dream Weave wrote:

Curious, what do you mean by "someone at BU"? An admissions officer or an alum? Thanks.

lawschoolwife

Postby lawschoolwife » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm

djlmjs22 wrote:
Rory19 wrote:

I got a letter last week stating that I did not receive the PI scholarship. Then it went on to talk about how they understand how hard financially public interest law can be and gave me info on FAFSA and stuff. I haven't gotten any merit aid from them so it was a pretty big buzz kill for me.

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear about that. I got a letter last week (like Elle002) who said they'd let me know in two weeks, so my fingers are crossed.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Went complete 1/10, first update 2/7, received an email request for some further information and then had a second update today (2/12). Hoping this movement means a decision will come in the near future..

CR2012

Postby CR2012 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Status changed again today. I think this is my second post complete status change.

Hopeful for some news.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Have to say I disagree with you 100% primarily because it worked for me and probably tons of other people.

The point of an LOCI is not to try and speed up the process or burden them, so I can't imagine anyone being bugged. It's just making contact, giving them more info for the file, and showing that you are truly interested and not just throwing in their school as just one of 25 applications.

As much as we think admissions is strictly a blind evaluation of applicants' numbers, there is a human side too. There's still a definite value in being proactive and fighting for your spot instead of just letting them do their job. That is actually very applicable to the legal profession as well. More schools are making this sort of thing part of their process by offering phone or in-person interviews, but if they don't have them, that shouldn't stop you.

I know for a fact that people with better numbers than me (not hard to achieve, really) have had been waitlisted or dinged at some places I've been accepted. And I have been waitlisted at some places where I should be an easy rejection. Hard for me to believe that my communication with them wasn't a factor.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Did anything happen to anyone today? Or was today another one of those dead days where there's no movement, good or bad?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”