BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

ks2499 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:Skri-- maybe you can negotiate for more? do you have any better offers that you can leverage?


I intend to try, but isn't BU not super open to negotiation? Hopefully this down cycle will make them a bit more open to the idea...


Okay, I will give my input - I got in last cycle and negotiated. Schools are always sensitive to losing numbers - which there are a limited number of - to competing schools. I was able to significantly drive up my scholarship amount. So, yes, they negotiate. Just be civil, they understand law school is a financial decision.

ks2499
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ks2499 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 pm

stillwater wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:Skri-- maybe you can negotiate for more? do you have any better offers that you can leverage?


I intend to try, but isn't BU not super open to negotiation? Hopefully this down cycle will make them a bit more open to the idea...


Okay, I will give my input - I got in last cycle and negotiated. Schools are always sensitive to losing numbers - which there are a limited number of - to competing schools. I was able to significantly drive up my scholarship amount. So, yes, they negotiate. Just be civil, they understand law school is a financial decision.


That's great to hear - thanks!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

stillwater wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:Skri-- maybe you can negotiate for more? do you have any better offers that you can leverage?


I intend to try, but isn't BU not super open to negotiation? Hopefully this down cycle will make them a bit more open to the idea...


Okay, I will give my input - I got in last cycle and negotiated. Schools are always sensitive to losing numbers - which there are a limited number of - to competing schools. I was able to significantly drive up my scholarship amount. So, yes, they negotiate. Just be civil, they understand law school is a financial decision.

thanks, stillwater. did you have any killer offers to leverage? or just peer schools?

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

swordking90 wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:
I got the packet today with 75k, which I think is the maximum amount they give to RD applicants. So I guess they don't always low ball. Also, congratulations AlanShore!!!! I know how badly you wanted to get in, so I'm super happy for you. Best of luck to everyone else!


JohnMarshal17 is the $75,000 a hard cap as a rule? I got the same offer from BU. Judging from Law School Numbers, Venus got a $90,000 merit scholarship; I'm wondering when we can start negotiating with the ad com for more money...


You're right. I just remembered seeing most profiles with my numbers getting 75k from BU, so I figured it was the ceiling. If you have a better scholarship from a better school, I'd email them right away. I guess if you have the leverage, there's no reason to wait. Good luck in negotiating!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm

.
Last edited by stillwater on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I logged into the admitted students site and RSVPd to the Admitted Student and Alumni Reception. The site says it's on April 4 but once I submitted my info to RSVP, it said "We look forward to seeing you on March 29!". Weird. They probably forgot to update that date.. I'm assuming April since it said 2013

T20hopeful89
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby T20hopeful89 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm

AlanShore wrote:I logged into the admitted students site and RSVPd to the Admitted Student and Alumni Reception. The site says it's on April 4 but once I submitted my info to RSVP, it said "We look forward to seeing you on March 29!". Weird. They probably forgot to update that date.. I'm assuming April since it said 2013



How do we log in?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I logged into the admitted students site and RSVPd to the Admitted Student and Alumni Reception. The site says it's on April 4 but once I submitted my info to RSVP, it said "We look forward to seeing you on March 29!". Weird. They probably forgot to update that date.. I'm assuming April since it said 2013



How do we log in?

At the top of your status check there is a congrats message and log in info.

T20hopeful89
Posts: 263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby T20hopeful89 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 pm

AlanShore wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I logged into the admitted students site and RSVPd to the Admitted Student and Alumni Reception. The site says it's on April 4 but once I submitted my info to RSVP, it said "We look forward to seeing you on March 29!". Weird. They probably forgot to update that date.. I'm assuming April since it said 2013



How do we log in?

At the top of your status check there is a congrats message and log in info.


oops - hadn't even checked the status checker again!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:I logged into the admitted students site and RSVPd to the Admitted Student and Alumni Reception. The site says it's on April 4 but once I submitted my info to RSVP, it said "We look forward to seeing you on March 29!". Weird. They probably forgot to update that date.. I'm assuming April since it said 2013



How do we log in?

At the top of your status check there is a congrats message and log in info.


oops - hadn't even checked the status checker again!

i have that program installed that refreshes all my schools and tells me if anything changed.

User avatar
gatorfan163287
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby gatorfan163287 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm

AlanShore wrote:i have that program installed that refreshes all my schools and tells me if anything changed.

there's a program for this?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

gatorfan163287 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:i have that program installed that refreshes all my schools and tells me if anything changed.

there's a program for this?

--LinkRemoved--

click download. not all, but most schools are on there. i assumed it was made by a TLSer because i saw people talking about it here. its excellent

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

AlanShore wrote:
gatorfan163287 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:i have that program installed that refreshes all my schools and tells me if anything changed.

there's a program for this?

--LinkRemoved--

click download. not all, but most schools are on there. i assumed it was made by a TLSer because i saw people talking about it here. its excellent


Holy shit that's intresting. What am I going to do with all of this free time i'm going to have?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
gatorfan163287 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:i have that program installed that refreshes all my schools and tells me if anything changed.

there's a program for this?

--LinkRemoved--

click download. not all, but most schools are on there. i assumed it was made by a TLSer because i saw people talking about it here. its excellent


Holy shit that's intresting. What am I going to do with all of this free time i'm going to have?

it sucks at work because whatever internet my company forces me to be on (internet is not the right term. i am bad with IT technology) prevents the refresh from working. so i check all my law schools constantly and then do a last check using the program when i get home to make sure i didnt miss anything.

im a loser!

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Congrats, Ms. Alan!

I finally got my package in the mail, with a handwritten note from the Dean... is this a legit compliment, or are they just trying to get me to attend?? :mrgreen:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 pm

iMisto wrote:Congrats, Ms. Alan!

I finally got my package in the mail, with a handwritten note from the Dean... is this a legit compliment, or are they just trying to get me to attend?? :mrgreen:

Haha they seem to compliment a lot of people but Im sure its still legit! did you.get $$ imisto?

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Yesssss, praise baby jeevus! 60k

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:37 pm

iMisto wrote:Yesssss, praise baby jeevus! 60k

NICE!

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:41 pm

AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:Yesssss, praise baby jeevus! 60k

NICE!


Well deserved.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 am

dproduct wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:Yesssss, praise baby jeevus! 60k

NICE!


Well deserved.


Thank you. :oops:

User avatar
ClaireyMary
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:54 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ClaireyMary » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

Hooray!! Congrats everyone. I knew you'd get in, AlanShore!

User avatar
teachmehowtoraji
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 am

First status update yesterday at 1/7, went complete end of Nov. (11/28 I think).

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby North » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

Got the acceptance package yesterday! There was a nice handwritten note referencing my PS and a little stack of post-its in the envelope. I love swag. $15,000 per year -- my only scholly so far!

Also, congrats Alan!

User avatar
Mr.Binks
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Got my acceptance call yesterday. My packet is in the mail. ^^

User avatar
ashockofpink
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ashockofpink » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 pm

stillwater wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:
ashockofpink wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
That's my understanding, and also the reason I'm so antsy to get home today!


Bah! Checking on LSN it shows people with lower numbers than me (or around me) getting about 25k/year, but mine includes no information... I'm not sure if it would be too forward to call the office and ask. There was a nice handwritten message at the bottom of the letter that made me happy but I honestly wouldn't go to BU without any kind of scholly since I already have some pretty sweet deals from some other schools. Guess I'll wait & see. Hope you get some good news!!!


I heard BU doesnt always give scholly info with acceptance packet but may do so later in the cycle. I would certainly not hesitate to write an email. Show them your other offers, and state how it is a serious contender for you but financial aid will play a huge role in where you attend.


Just from prior experience. In-market offers from peer schools are going to have the most leverage. If you got into BC and have scholarship offers from them, use that as the starting point. You'll have more leverage there. Lacking that, use any peer school but it may be less effective.


Haven't heard back from BC yet but I got $33k/yr from W&M, $20k/yr from UCLA, and that's pretty much it so far from #35 and up. It just seemed strange to get $60k total from UCLA but nada from BU. Guess I'll wait until I hear from BC :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob loblaw law blog, Christinabruin, jurisdoctor2020, proteinshake, trohara14 and 29 guests