BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Yardbird » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:44 am

AlanShore wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:Is anyone concerned about applying after seeing the BU/BC OCI thread? These are two of my top nonT14 schools, but I'm getting nervous about their prospects.

I've always been nervous. I think BC does better than BU but both you have to be pretty highly ranked in your class...
BC has been doing better in Boston of late. BU is miles ahead in NY. Both suck everywhere else.

Interesting. When you say BU is miles ahead.. does that mean they place a lot (relatively) in NY? or that if you want to practice in NY, you ought to go to BU but still have low expectations?
The latter.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

When does BU start making decisions??

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:09 pm

iMisto wrote:When does BU start making decisions??

haha are you complete? sending mine in the next week or two. I think they start giving a bunch out during thanksgiving time.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:18 pm

AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:When does BU start making decisions??

haha are you complete? sending mine in the next week or two. I think they start giving a bunch out during thanksgiving time.


Damn. That seems so far away. :roll: The anticipation of hearing back already has me lurking TLS waaaaay too much. Must find another hobby.

When do they notify people of scholarship offers? :mrgreen:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:22 pm

iMisto wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:When does BU start making decisions??

haha are you complete? sending mine in the next week or two. I think they start giving a bunch out during thanksgiving time.


Damn. That seems so far away. :roll: The anticipation of hearing back already has me lurking TLS waaaaay too much. Must find another hobby.

When do they notify people of scholarship offers? :mrgreen:

Well since you're already complete, you could totally hear earlier. I wouldn't be surprised.. but for your own sanity, STEP AWAY from TLS for a few weeks :)

Some notifications came with offers, others didn't until later on.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:38 pm

A few weeks!? :cry:

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Yardbird » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 pm

iMisto wrote:A few weeks!? :cry:
You won't hear back until LATE Nov at the earliest anyways (if you ED'd you won't hear back until mid-December): BU Decision Date Graph

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
iMisto wrote:A few weeks!? :cry:
You won't hear back until LATE Nov at the earliest anyways (if you ED'd you won't hear back until mid-December): BU Decision Date Graph


Oh, jeeze. I better adopt a puppy or something.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 pm

iMisto wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
iMisto wrote:A few weeks!? :cry:
You won't hear back until LATE Nov at the earliest anyways (if you ED'd you won't hear back until mid-December): BU Decision Date Graph


Oh, jeeze. I better adopt a puppy or something.

:mrgreen:

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:08 am

AlanShore wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:what is the COL up there for a decent 1 bedroom?

expensive. 1250-1500 for a "decent" one.. but if youre coming from a place with a really cheap COL like the south or midwest, you may have to redefine your idea of decent. it will be small. it won't/shouldn't be filthy, bedbugs, etc or anything like that but it won't be big!

If you live with roommates it will be 600+. The best deal is probably splitting a decent sized 2 bed but if you like to live alone (as do I), maybe a studio is better if you're concerned about money. You can get an okay but very small studio for 1000 if you really look.


I know you live in Boston, but I disagree, it's more expensive if you want to live anywhere within close proximity to the school. I live a 45 minute walk (or a 45 minute T ride, it's the same but at least sometimes I get to sit down on the T). I searched through everything before both 1L and 2L and could not find a a studio for less than $1300, a 1br for less than $1500, or a 2br for less than $1800. If you really want a living situation with $600, you're going to have to be creative and have a 2br with 3 people and put a curtain up over the living room. That's not uncommon among people I know. But if you want privacy, you have to pay more for it. Also school housing is the absolute worst, avoid it at all costs. Also, avoid living on the B line, it's a disaster.

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby onionz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:18 am

cinephile wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:what is the COL up there for a decent 1 bedroom?

expensive. 1250-1500 for a "decent" one.. but if youre coming from a place with a really cheap COL like the south or midwest, you may have to redefine your idea of decent. it will be small. it won't/shouldn't be filthy, bedbugs, etc or anything like that but it won't be big!

If you live with roommates it will be 600+. The best deal is probably splitting a decent sized 2 bed but if you like to live alone (as do I), maybe a studio is better if you're concerned about money. You can get an okay but very small studio for 1000 if you really look.


I know you live in Boston, but I disagree, it's more expensive if you want to live anywhere within close proximity to the school. I live a 45 minute walk (or a 45 minute T ride, it's the same but at least sometimes I get to sit down on the T). I searched through everything before both 1L and 2L and could not find a a studio for less than $1300, a 1br for less than $1500, or a 2br for less than $1800. If you really want a living situation with $600, you're going to have to be creative and have a 2br with 3 people and put a curtain up over the living room. That's not uncommon among people I know. But if you want privacy, you have to pay more for it. Also school housing is the absolute worst, avoid it at all costs. Also, avoid living on the B line, it's a disaster.


Completely disagree. I went to ugrad at BU and a lot of friends lived in the Allston/Brighton area and paid between 600-800 a month when sharing with 2 or more people. I was living with my girlfriend last month in a 2br RIGHT in Kenmore for $2k that was nicer than it needed to be. Depending on the T and weather you can easily live within 30 mins if you live by Harvard ave.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:29 am

onionz wrote:
Completely disagree. I went to ugrad at BU and a lot of friends lived in the Allston/Brighton area and paid between 600-800 a month when sharing with 2 or more people. I was living with my girlfriend last month in a 2br RIGHT in Kenmore for $2k that was nicer than it needed to be. Depending on the T and weather you can easily live within 30 mins if you live by Harvard ave.


If you say so. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything near that price despite searching for over a year. I don't know where these elusive apartments are. $800 per person in a 2br, sure. But $600 is only possible in a house with a number of people.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Yardbird » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 am

cinephile wrote:
onionz wrote:
Completely disagree. I went to ugrad at BU and a lot of friends lived in the Allston/Brighton area and paid between 600-800 a month when sharing with 2 or more people. I was living with my girlfriend last month in a 2br RIGHT in Kenmore for $2k that was nicer than it needed to be. Depending on the T and weather you can easily live within 30 mins if you live by Harvard ave.


If you say so. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything near that price despite searching for over a year. I don't know where these elusive apartments are. $800 per person in a 2br, sure. But $600 is only possible in a house with a number of people.
Living in Allston - while cheap - is not a good idea for law students for a number of reasons:

-crap living
-multiple roommates
-have to deal with undergrad parties in the vicinity
-30 minute walk to the tower
-unreliable bus/train service in the mornings (they're all packed and they skip stops)
-did I mention crap living (roaches + mice + possibly bed bugs)

Regarding school housing, it's expensive but very nice (comes out to $1500/mo). LAW students can either live in the grad housing near Kenmore Square or in BU's South Campus. They can also live in two of the undergarduate buildings - the REALLY REALLY nice 18 story and 26 story apartments (which only BU Juniors, Seniors and Grad students can live in).

I currently live in on of those undergrad ones^^ and can post pictures if people are curious.

Alternatively look into Brookline early enough with some friends and you can get a nice rental shared house for $600-800 per person. Brookline>>>>>>>Shitty Allston


[Edit]Also, don't use CommAveAssociates for a realtor - they drive a hummer and cheat out of state kids into paying high rents for subpar apartments.
[Edit 2]You could also be an RA (BU accepts applications from incming grad students in April/May, but that's essentially a job do might not be ideal (though the free housing would be worth it...?))

Typed on my phone so excuse my typos.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 am

You could live on the other side of the river. It's expensive but nicer living (less grimy, no bedbugs etc). You can bike over the bridge or take the bus or T. It takes a little while because of how inefficient the public transportation is but its a good option. Thats what I would do.. partly because I live there now and I like it better than Boston.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

Got my status checker this morning! ... still waiting on Cornell. :x

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm

iMisto wrote:
stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??


Pretty standard with other T20s

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:11 pm

iMisto wrote:
stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??


Great news (unless you are a 165 and 3.74 I guess lol) !!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

iMisto wrote:
stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??

nice.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:36 pm

AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:
stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??

nice.

also, thats a pretty high gpa....

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby iMisto » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 pm

AlanShore wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
iMisto wrote:
stillwater wrote:BU:
Class Size: 211 (-31, -12.8%)
LSAT Median: 166 (-1)
GPA Median: 3.75 (+.03)


Thoughts??

nice.

also, thats a pretty high gpa....


I thought the same thing.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby stillwater » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:16 pm

BU/BC traditionally love GPA.

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:40 pm

What's it take for a splitter to get in? Do we think a 167/3.1 will be make it this cycle?

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby TheThriller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:What's it take for a splitter to get in? Do we think a 167/3.1 will be make it this cycle?


A few people with those numbers were accepted last cycle

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

TheThriller wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:What's it take for a splitter to get in? Do we think a 167/3.1 will be make it this cycle?


A few people with those numbers were accepted last cycle


The two on LSN were waitlisted first, and then accepted with money. Probably a last ditch attempt to keep their median. I am HOPING that schools want to avoid having to do that again this cycle and just admit us splitters right away. :twisted:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laowhynot109 and 8 guests