BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby skri65 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 pm

.
Last edited by skri65 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kaf5250
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby kaf5250 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 pm

checking in! applied today with a fee waiver (solicited) 168 and 3.68, hoping I get in! anyone know when decisions start to go out/have any yet?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 pm

kaf5250 wrote:checking in! applied today with a fee waiver (solicited) 168 and 3.68, hoping I get in! anyone know when decisions start to go out/have any yet?

last year decisions started going out first week of dec. other years, they started around thanksgiving.. so another month or so! your numbers are good for some money!

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Just got my solicited fee-waiver, finishing up my app this week :D

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm

I was surprised to receive an unsolicited fee waiver today. God bless them.

User avatar
BlazersTime
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby BlazersTime » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:12 pm

App went complete today. The wait begins

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:12 pm

BlazersTime wrote:App went complete today. The wait begins


Good luck!

erican09
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby erican09 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Applying ED today!

161/3.71

Not sure how competitive I'll be, but I really hope I get lucky!

Anybody else applying for the PI scholarship? I'm debating writing the essay. I don't have any PI background so I doubt I'll get it. Wondering if it's even worth the effort of writing the essay...

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:11 pm

erican09 wrote:Applying ED today!

161/3.71

Not sure how competitive I'll be, but I really hope I get lucky!

Anybody else applying for the PI scholarship? I'm debating writing the essay. I don't have any PI background so I doubt I'll get it. Wondering if it's even worth the effort of writing the essay...


If you don't ask, the answer is always no!

I say go for it. Perhaps you have some interesting life experiences/educational experiences that could speak to your PI interests?

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ph5354a » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I applied last Friday (166 3.61) to get my apps in as soon as possible since they were ready, but I didn't get an fee waiver email on Monday. Is that because I already submitted or because they didn't want to give one to me? I've heard of schools giving out refunds --any idea of BU does this?

Granfalloon12
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Granfalloon12 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Applied today! BU is definitely a top 3 choice for me, really hoping I get the nod.
I know my GPA is fairly below the median, but anyone think I'll manage to squeak through with 168/3.06?

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby maxmartin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Granfalloon12 wrote:Applied today! BU is definitely a top 3 choice for me, really hoping I get the nod.
I know my GPA is fairly below the median, but anyone think I'll manage to squeak through with 168/3.06?


i think you are solid in.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Complete today.

And the wait begins.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ph5354a » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:59 pm

What do we know about BU's merit-based scholarship reputation? If I have numbers on their high/average end (166 and 3.6 with strong softs) is there any significant scholarship potential?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5712
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Easy-E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Application is official in! Good luck everyone (myself included)!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 am

ph5354a wrote:What do we know about BU's merit-based scholarship reputation? If I have numbers on their high/average end (166 and 3.6 with strong softs) is there any significant scholarship potential?

I don't know what you consider significant but I think you're good for 10-15k.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ph5354a » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:35 pm

AlanShore wrote:
ph5354a wrote:What do we know about BU's merit-based scholarship reputation? If I have numbers on their high/average end (166 and 3.6 with strong softs) is there any significant scholarship potential?

I don't know what you consider significant but I think you're good for 10-15k.



Thanks! That's nothing to scoff at. I know that some schools are really stingy with their merit aid (*cough Fordham*) so I didn't want to have unreasonable expectations for BU.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Will be applying soon, probably right after the weekend. I have a 3.55 GPA/168 LSAT score. I got the fee waiver which I was really excited about. I love Boston and it would be great to go to this school.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm

ph5354a wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
ph5354a wrote:What do we know about BU's merit-based scholarship reputation? If I have numbers on their high/average end (166 and 3.6 with strong softs) is there any significant scholarship potential?

I don't know what you consider significant but I think you're good for 10-15k.



Thanks! That's nothing to scoff at. I know that some schools are really stingy with their merit aid (*cough Fordham*) so I didn't want to have unreasonable expectations for BU.


From my research it seems BU is a lot better than Fordham. I dont even think Fordham gives out merit fee waivers. I probably wont even apply there, even though it would be cool to live in New York City.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby maxmartin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 pm

erican09 wrote:Applying ED today!

161/3.71

Not sure how competitive I'll be, but I really hope I get lucky!

Anybody else applying for the PI scholarship? I'm debating writing the essay. I don't have any PI background so I doubt I'll get it. Wondering if it's even worth the effort of writing the essay...


BU gave few to none ED admissions according to last year data, and BU gave out RD decisions even before ED decisions which seems very weird to me.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ph5354a » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 am

timeandspace11 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
ph5354a wrote:What do we know about BU's merit-based scholarship reputation? If I have numbers on their high/average end (166 and 3.6 with strong softs) is there any significant scholarship potential?

I don't know what you consider significant but I think you're good for 10-15k.



Thanks! That's nothing to scoff at. I know that some schools are really stingy with their merit aid (*cough Fordham*) so I didn't want to have unreasonable expectations for BU.


From my research it seems BU is a lot better than Fordham. I dont even think Fordham gives out merit fee waivers. I probably wont even apply there, even though it would be cool to live in New York City.



Yeah that's what I've heard too. I really want to work in NYC so Fordham is high on my list, but it's hard to imagine dealing with NYC cost of living without any scholarship money whatsoever. I would probably be living in a box and eating out of a dumpster.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 pm

Does anyone know if not getting accepted ED hurts your chances in the regular cycle?

I was thinking of applying ED but I don't know how competitive I would be with a 168 and a 3.55


any advice or insight?

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know if not getting accepted ED hurts your chances in the regular cycle?

I was thinking of applying ED but I don't know how competitive I would be with a 168 and a 3.55


any advice or insight?


I heard it hurts your chances with getting money... I don't know about being accepted though. The money thing may not apply to BU though. I feel like I heard that anyone admitted via ED with BU gets some sort of financial reward. Your numbers are competitive with RD already, so with ED "lowering" the standard, you shouldn't have to worry about not getting accepted with ED.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:51 pm

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know if not getting accepted ED hurts your chances in the regular cycle?

I was thinking of applying ED but I don't know how competitive I would be with a 168 and a 3.55


any advice or insight?


I heard it hurts your chances with getting money... I don't know about being accepted though. The money thing may not apply to BU though. I feel like I heard that anyone admitted via ED with BU gets some sort of financial reward. Your numbers are competitive with RD already, so with ED "lowering" the standard, you shouldn't have to worry about not getting accepted with ED.


Thanks. I thought you got full tuition with ED but I could be wrong.

User avatar
orbbs
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby orbbs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 am

timeandspace11 wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know if not getting accepted ED hurts your chances in the regular cycle?

I was thinking of applying ED but I don't know how competitive I would be with a 168 and a 3.55


any advice or insight?


I heard it hurts your chances with getting money... I don't know about being accepted though. The money thing may not apply to BU though. I feel like I heard that anyone admitted via ED with BU gets some sort of financial reward. Your numbers are competitive with RD already, so with ED "lowering" the standard, you shouldn't have to worry about not getting accepted with ED.


Thanks. I thought you got full tuition with ED but I could be wrong.


No, you're right. BU's ED program is like GW's: Those admitted get a 3 year full tuition scholarship. Thus, unlike at other schools, the admissions standards for BU ED are actually higher than RD.

As for your original question, responses from last year's thread seems to suggest that you aren't disadvantaged for RD if deferred from ED.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2chainz_mang, Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, Google Adsense [Bot], jdanz, premalone, tinafeyclone, Torres1893, xn3345, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests