BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nba101790

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby nba101790 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm

toothbrush wrote:
AlanShore wrote:haha yeah im not sure... we like our cafe culture. i wish some more local/independently owned coffee shops/cafes would replace them.

So I was talking to my GF about this and I concluded that boston, in comparison to NYC, is bland in flavors. We ate at a shawarma place in boston and it was really plain with like grilled chicken and stuff ( we thought it was fantastic btw). Then we tried to relive the experience in Queens and WOOOF that shit was authentic flavors and shit (wayyy too much for us)

Was I right in saying that Boston is vanilla flavored everything ?

I think it just depends on the place.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm

toothbrush wrote:
AlanShore wrote:haha yeah im not sure... we like our cafe culture. i wish some more local/independently owned coffee shops/cafes would replace them.

So I was talking to my GF about this and I concluded that boston, in comparison to NYC, is bland in flavors. We ate at a shawarma place in boston and it was really plain with like grilled chicken and stuff ( we thought it was fantastic btw). Then we tried to relive the experience in Queens and WOOOF that shit was authentic flavors and shit (wayyy too much for us)

On a side note (I don't know where you're from), there's nothing I hate more than people judging a city without spending any real time there. Maybe you have, so I mean that as a side note.

Anyways, go to the North End and you'll taste some flavors for sure.
Last edited by skri65 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm

skri65 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

There's nothing I hate more than people judging a city without spending any real time there. Go to the North End and you'll see what I mean.

if you are trying to compare Boston with NYC, then, ya, Boston is going to fall flat every time.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

stillwater wrote:
skri65 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

There's nothing I hate more than people judging a city without spending any real time there. Go to the North End and you'll see what I mean.

if you are trying to compare Boston with NYC, then, ya, Boston is going to fall flat every time.

Eeek relax. I didn't even say it was a bad thing - in fact, I enjoyed Boston over NYC on many, many levels. However, from the places we ate and the things I saw, I would say Boston is much more "vanilla" all around.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm

stillwater wrote:
skri65 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

I'm not going to go there, but it completely depends on what you want out of a city, what you value. NYC is an absolutely enormous city, so you're going to find "more" in NYC. But again, there's many ways in which Boston trumps NYC, and that's why I'd much rather (and do) live in Boston. FYI, I've lived in both NYC and Boston.

The BU area is very vanilla, especially in comparison with parts of NYC. There's a common misconception from people that go to BU who think the BU area is all that Boston has to offer. The BU area, with exception of Fenway, is my least favorite area of Boston.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 pm

skri65 wrote:
I'm not going to go there, but it completely depends on what you want out of a city, what you value. NYC is an absolutely enormous city, so you're going to find "more" in NYC. But again, there's many ways in which Boston trumps NYC, and that's why I'd much rather (and do) live in Boston. FYI, I've lived in both NYC and Boston.

The BU area is very vanilla, especially in comparison with parts of NYC. There's a common misconception from people that go to BU who think the BU area is all that Boston has to offer. The BU area, with exception of Fenway, is my least favorite area of Boston.

I lived in both as well and it is just the critical mass of NYC that gives it its superiority. There are undoubtedly life choice preferences that could lead someone to Boston but as for pure amount of options size is going to trump. Boston just feels provincial. Full disclose: I live in Boston now.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 pm

stillwater wrote:
skri65 wrote:

I lived in both as well and it is just the critical mass of NYC that gives it its superiority. There are undoubtedly life choice preferences that could lead someone to Boston but as for pure amount of options size is going to trump. Boston just feels provincial. Full disclose: I live in Boston now.

I reallllyyy depends on what you value. You can't really find a place like Boston in NYC for the same price / qol IMO. Boston reminds me of the upper west side personally.. maybe that's off.

I live in NYC now, but I can definitely see myself preferring Boston for many reasons. However, NYC, as you guys have mentioned, just give so many more options for EVERY possible whim and desire that you may have.

skri65

Postby skri65 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 pm

stillwater wrote:
skri65 wrote:

If your highest priority is having as many possible options for what to do, then NYC is the only city to live in. Again, it depends on what types of cities you like, what you want out of them, etc. I for one like what some of the smaller cities have to offer. If what someone wants is sheer mass and sheer quantity of things to do, then NYC will certainly be a better option than Boston and BU.

Boston will absolutely seem provincial if you compare it to NYC. But pretty much anywhere will, too. There are other values besides number of different things to do. If you're from NYC and thinking about going to a Boston school, you should definitely spend some real time here before deciding. Either way you put it, the cities are very different.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm

nba101790 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.

Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

This place was really good

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Met by far the most off-putting dean today at my BU visit. The 3L giving the tour couldn't have been more accommodating, likewise with the fin aid staff, but this dean left a serious bad taste in my mouth.

Edit: assistant dean

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

As a general rule, an unhooked app needs to be above both 75ths for a chance at the big time schollies.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm

anteater1 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.

Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

what did u order?yum

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 pm

anteater1 wrote:Met by far the most off-putting dean today at my BU visit. The 3L giving the tour couldn't have been more accommodating, likewise with the fin aid staff, but this dean left a serious bad taste in my mouth.

:shock: :?: :|

goden

Postby goden » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm

anteater1 wrote:Met by far the most off-putting dean today at my BU visit. The 3L giving the tour couldn't have been more accommodating, likewise with the fin aid staff, but this dean left a serious bad taste in my mouth.

Do tell

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm

goden wrote:

Do tell

I don't want to give away too much info on here (you and dprod can hmu on Facebook) but essentially she mocked what I did for a living and blatantly said it was a waste of time. I tried asking her other general questions and she acted like I was stupid for asking them. Really put me off.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm

AlanShore wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:

what did u order?yum

Some udon and chicken dish, 'twas bomb

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 pm

anteater1 wrote:
goden wrote:

Do tell

I don't want to give away too much info on here (you and dprod can hmu on Facebook) but essentially she mocked what I did for a living and blatantly said it was a waste of time. I tried asking her other general questions and she acted like I was stupid for asking them. Really put me off.

yikes.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm

AlanShore wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
goden wrote:

Do tell

yikes.

+1. You seem to have it together in a multitude of ways so for you to say this makes me wonder about the school.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm

AlanShore wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
goden wrote:

Do tell

yikes.

What was her angle? is she/he trying to play hard to get?

reyals

Postby reyals » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't want to give away too much info on here (you and dprod can hmu on Facebook) but essentially she mocked what I did for a living and blatantly said it was a waste of time. I tried asking her other general questions and she acted like I was stupid for asking them. Really put me off.[/quote]
yikes.[/quote]

What was her angle? is she/he trying to play hard to get?[/quote]

maybe she/he was negging you. In a few days you'll snap and withdraw applications from all other law schools.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Got a pleasant email today from said assistant dean, color me baffled...

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:44 pm

anteater1 wrote:Got a pleasant email today from said assistant dean, color me baffled...

What did it say?

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

AlanShore wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Got a pleasant email today from said assistant dean, color me baffled...

What did it say?

Oh crap. REALLY?

willio

Postby willio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Does she work in the admissions office?

On another note, did you visit BC while you were in Boston? If so, what did you think? How would you compare the schools?

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 pm

dproduct wrote:
AlanShore wrote:What did it say?

Oh crap. REALLY?

willio wrote:Does she work in the admissions office?

On another note, did you visit BC while you were in Boston? If so, what did you think? How would you compare the schools?

Something along the lines of asking me how the trip was and if I had any other questions...

Visited BC on my trip as well, really loved the campus and surrounding area (more catered to my interest in a community atmosphere)

Personally BC > BU based on my previous statement and they appear more public interest oriented. Coupled with better employment stats I'd attend BC with all other factors being equal.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”