BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Sent an email last night asking for a scholarship increase. No response yet. I was hoping to at least get a confirmation email. In about a week I will call if I have gotten no response

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby lawschoolwife » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, they also attached a letter giving me a $15,000/year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.
Last edited by lawschoolwife on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 pm

lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, I got $15,000 a year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


The PI scholarship is (or at least used to be) a full-ride and it's given to like 10 people per year. Maybe fewer.

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby lawschoolwife » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm

cinephile wrote:
lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, I got $15,000 a year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


The PI scholarship is (or at least used to be) a full-ride and it's given to like 10 people per year. Maybe fewer.


Ah. Good to know. More selective than I thought, but I'm still bummed.

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:03 pm

lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, they also attached a letter giving me a $15,000/year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


#'s?

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby lawschoolwife » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

anteater1 wrote:
lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, they also attached a letter giving me a $15,000/year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


#'s?


165/3.59. (also, BU alum and strong softs)

skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby skri65 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm

lawschoolwife wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, they also attached a letter giving me a $15,000/year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


#'s?


165/3.59. (also, BU alum and strong softs)



You are below both medians, why would you expect more?

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby teiswei » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Just got the call! I'm in!

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 pm

teiswei wrote:Just got the call! I'm in!


8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

CONGRATS!

lawschoolwife
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby lawschoolwife » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm

skri65 wrote:
lawschoolwife wrote:
anteater1 wrote:
lawschoolwife wrote:Got an email about the Public Interest Scholarship - denied. I have relevant experience and (in my opinion) wrote a strong essay, so honestly I'm surprised. Then again, I don't really know how many people usually get this scholarship or how much money they usually give. Maybe it's more competitive than I thought.

On the other hand, they also attached a letter giving me a $15,000/year merit scholarship. Nice, but not nearly what I was hoping for.


#'s?


165/3.59. (also, BU alum and strong softs)



You are below both medians, why would you expect more?


I wasn't realistically expecting any money, I was just clinging to the hope that being a BU alum and my experience with public service would give me a chance at the Public Interest Scholarship. I figured of all the public interest scholar programs I applied to, I had the best shot at BU. Ah well, such is life. The $15,000 merit scholarship is nothing to sneeze at, and I was quite thrilled to get it.

User avatar
willio
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby willio » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 pm

In via voicemail! No word on scholly, and not expecting anything since I'm below both medians. Stats in profile.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 pm

willio wrote:In via voicemail! No word on scholly, and not expecting anything since I'm below both medians. Stats in profile.


Congratulations!!!

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 pm

willio wrote:In via voicemail! No word on scholly, and not expecting anything since I'm below both medians. Stats in profile.

Congrats!.

User avatar
radar714
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby radar714 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Sent an email last night asking for a scholarship increase. No response yet. I was hoping to at least get a confirmation email. In about a week I will call if I have gotten no response


same. sent mine on Fri 2/15 and no response either

User avatar
BlazersTime
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby BlazersTime » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Got my admissions packet today, as expected, no scholarship offer. BU is a great school but I can't pay sticker to go there.

User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 pm

waitlisted for public interest scholarship

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby Rory19 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:waitlisted for public interest scholarship


Say what??? You can be waitlisted for a scholarship? Ugh. How were you notified?

User avatar
anteater1
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 am

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby anteater1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby nba101790 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.


Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 am

anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.


Sunset Cantina is great for Mexican food and should have a bar. Definitely recommend it.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 am

nba101790 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.


Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

I used to go to Noodle St all the time! There are other chain places that are along Comm Ave-- Panera, Chipotle, another burrito place, etc

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby ph5354a » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Just withdrew. Best of luck to all of those still waiting!

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby toothbrush » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 pm

AlanShore wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.


Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

I used to go to Noodle St all the time! There are other chain places that are along Comm Ave-- Panera, Chipotle, another burrito place, etc

On a side note, what's with Boston and their Panera / Au Bon Pain restaurants? I was in Boston the past weekend and I swear there's more of those than I've ever seen before (i'm from NY)..

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 pm

toothbrush wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
nba101790 wrote:
anteater1 wrote:Good places to eat near BU?

I'll be there tomorrow around lunch time, solo so preferably somewhere I can sit at the bar.


Noodle Street on the north part of Comm. Ave is a very popular lunch spot. Forget if they have a bar though.

I used to go to Noodle St all the time! There are other chain places that are along Comm Ave-- Panera, Chipotle, another burrito place, etc

On a side note, what's with Boston and their Panera / Au Bon Pain restaurants? I was in Boston the past weekend and I swear there's more of those than I've ever seen before (i'm from NY)..

haha yeah im not sure... we like our cafe culture. i wish some more local/independently owned coffee shops/cafes would replace them.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Postby toothbrush » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 pm

AlanShore wrote:haha yeah im not sure... we like our cafe culture. i wish some more local/independently owned coffee shops/cafes would replace them.

So I was talking to my GF about this and I concluded that boston, in comparison to NYC, is bland in flavors. We ate at a shawarma place in boston and it was really plain with like grilled chicken and stuff ( we thought it was fantastic btw). Then we tried to relive the experience in Queens and WOOOF that shit was authentic flavors and shit (wayyy too much for us)

Was I right in saying that Boston is vanilla flavored everything ?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”