BU 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abc987

New

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by abc987 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:24 pm

I received a call earlier today with a decision and scholarship amount (applied late in the cycle - sent 3/14 and complete on 3/21).

Though I grew up in Massachusetts and there is an attraction based on family in the area, finances are an important part of my decision and the offer was not meaningfully competitive with others I've received (which is a nice position to be in). Withdrawn. Hopefully the seat and money go to a TSLer whose first choice is BU.

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

JesusChrist wrote:Just got a voicemail from BU saying to call them regarding my WL decision. Does this mean I got in? If so, what are the chances I get a scholarship off of the WL?
I can't see them calling someone on the waitlist, leaving a voicemail saying they made a decision, then having that decision be a ding. With a voicemail saying they'd made a decision, I'd take that as great news.

Assuming you're using the same screen name on LSN as you are here, I think it is possible for you to be offered merit money off the wait list if they are looking to secure their LSAT numbers. I'd be honest with them about what other options you have available, where they fit into your comparison of those options, and -- if it would take a specific threshold on their part to persuade you -- what you had in mind that it would take.

I'm not sure if you're interested in public service, but if you are planning on going that route and the money is a major factor in your decision, I'd also recommend looking at their LRAP (which is quiet solid).

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Wed May 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Got a feeler type phone call about the WL today. Seems they are looking to boost their LSAT because my GPA certainly isn't helping any school, however I also go the feeling they aren't looking to buy anyone. When I mentioned my scholarship to BC, they followed up with if the money isn't the same would I still prefer to go to BU...

Good luck everyone!

asheemashee

New

Post by asheemashee » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm

rufus&miles wrote:Got a feeler type phone call about the WL today. Seems they are looking to boost their LSAT because my GPA certainly isn't helping any school, however I also go the feeling they aren't looking to buy anyone. When I mentioned my scholarship to BC, they followed up with if the money isn't the same would I still prefer to go to BU...

Good luck everyone!
So you got a call but no decision?

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 pm

asheemashee wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:Got a feeler type phone call about the WL today. Seems they are looking to boost their LSAT because my GPA certainly isn't helping any school, however I also go the feeling they aren't looking to buy anyone. When I mentioned my scholarship to BC, they followed up with if the money isn't the same would I still prefer to go to BU...

Good luck everyone!
So you got a call but no decision?
Nope no decision, just a non-committal I will speak with the admissions committee

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Yeah, they did not seem interested in competing with BC FWIW.

KarenJBY

New

Post by KarenJBY » Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi all, I decide to attend BU. Since I am from Hong Kong, I don't actually know much about Boston. Do you guys have any advice for housing? I want to live as near as possible to law school. Thank you!

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 am

KarenJBY wrote:Hi all, I decide to attend BU. Since I am from Hong Kong, I don't actually know much about Boston. Do you guys have any advice for housing? I want to live as near as possible to law school. Thank you!
There are a number of places within walking distance or a short public transportation ride of the law school, including graduate housing. But I don't know much about it, since I live farther away.

rambleon65

Bronze

Post by rambleon65 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 am

dproduct wrote:Yeah, they did not seem interested in competing with BC FWIW.
I'd try again--at first they made a minimal attempt to match BC, but I resent a reconsideration letter within a week or so and they matched it.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

asheemashee

New

Post by asheemashee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 pm

In via phone :lol:

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
KarenJBY wrote:Hi all, I decide to attend BU. Since I am from Hong Kong, I don't actually know much about Boston. Do you guys have any advice for housing? I want to live as near as possible to law school. Thank you!
There are a number of places within walking distance or a short public transportation ride of the law school, including graduate housing. But I don't know much about it, since I live farther away.
I wouldn't call the public transit short by any means. I live either a 40-45 minute walk from school or a 30 minute T ride. There is no reason that public transit should take almost as long as walking, and yet it does because the B line is awful. True story: last year I lived a half hour walk from school and it was also a half hour ride on the T. You can't win with the MBTA.

That being said, there is some graduate housing right near Kenmore Square (near the school and actually in a nice area near regular non-student people). But you have to visit in person (if not you, you need to send a friend to see the apartment), they won't lease it to you sight unseen. You can find a regular non-school apartment near Kenmore too, but it'll be pricey.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 am

cinephile wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:
I wouldn't call the public transit short by any means. I live either a 40-45 minute walk from school or a 30 minute T ride. There is no reason that public transit should take almost as long as walking, and yet it does because the B line is awful. True story: last year I lived a half hour walk from school and it was also a half hour ride on the T. You can't win with the MBTA.

That being said, there is some graduate housing right near Kenmore Square (near the school and actually in a nice area near regular non-student people). But you have to visit in person (if not you, you need to send a friend to see the apartment), they won't lease it to you sight unseen. You can find a regular non-school apartment near Kenmore too, but it'll be pricey.
Cinephile--Question. The BU-owned housing says NO SUBLETTING. Is this enforceable? I mean, do you know people who summered elsewhere and didn't have to eat three months of summer rent? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 pm

RedGiant wrote:
cinephile wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:

Cinephile--Question. The BU-owned housing says NO SUBLETTING. Is this enforceable? I mean, do you know people who summered elsewhere and didn't have to eat three months of summer rent? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
I don't live in BU housing, but of the people I know who have, none of them even tried to sublet. You don't want to mess up your housing situation. 3 months paying double rent is tough, but I personally wouldn't risk it (I'm super risk averse, though).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm

smmaddox14 wrote:I'm on the BU waitlist as well... Have not heard any updates. If anyone has any information it would be appreciated, I'm on the edge of my seat over here!

Checking in. +1

km0828

New

Post by km0828 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Did all my fellow WL'ers get the update email?

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:57 pm

km0828 wrote:Did all my fellow WL'ers get the update email?
Yep. Thinking of how to proceed...

Torque

New

Post by Torque » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Anyone hear of any movement (besides the email update), either acceptances or being let off the waitlist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Torque wrote:Anyone hear of any movement (besides the email update), either acceptances or being let off the waitlist?
Negative. This thread has relatively little action. Wondering if I should make a BU WL thread...

Any movement, anyone? Beuller?

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey guys,

I paid both deposits to BU, but I'll be withdrawing from BU tonight after receiving my LSAT score for June. GL all! 25K/yr and a spot. Hope one of you gets it

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 am

Has anyone received any updates? Any releases or admits?

Torque

New

Post by Torque » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Bump. Anyone admitted/released off the waitlist lately?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Torque wrote:Bump. Anyone admitted/released off the waitlist lately?
Silence :(

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:22 pm

FWIW, I got a call on Tuesday about going with a full scholarship. This is after I originally planned to go, but then later withdrew. So they might still have open slots

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”