BU 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ph5354a

Gold

Re: BU 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Just got the phone call too! Nice to have an acceptance under my belt.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm

In at BU. well above 75th lsat, below 25th gpa, went to the ugrad there.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:Just got the phone call too! Nice to have an acceptance under my belt.
diver88 wrote:IN, via phone call from the dean, 12:45 PST.
submitted 11/1, updates on 12/10, 12/14, 1/7, and today (1/11)
good luck to everyone else!
ericaec12 wrote:For all the today updates, I just got the acceptance call! was 1/2, 1/7, today. :)
ph5354a wrote:Just got the phone call too! Nice to have an acceptance under my belt.
CONGRATS (and congrats to anyone I missed)!!!!!

ImageImageImage

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm

onionz wrote:In at BU. well above 75th lsat, below 25th gpa, went to the ugrad there.
what were your stats? thats the same situation I'm in, except for the UG part

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:24 pm

bgoodrick wrote:
onionz wrote:In at BU. well above 75th lsat, below 25th gpa, went to the ugrad there.
what were your stats? thats the same situation I'm in, except for the UG part
I updated on LSN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:04 am

Accepted as well--congrats to everyone!!! Any word on scholarships (sorry if I have not been following the thread too closely).

In my acceptance packet they stated that my scholarship package was delayed because I applied for a public interest scholarship. I just hope that does not mean that there will be less scholarship dollars available by March.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Rory19 wrote:Accepted as well--congrats to everyone!!! Any word on scholarships (sorry if I have not been following the thread too closely).

In my acceptance packet they stated that my scholarship package was delayed because I applied for a public interest scholarship. I just hope that does not mean that there will be less scholarship dollars available by March.
Dont worry. Some people with offers will probably start withdrawing around that time opening up some money. I got a scholly offer but plan on negotiating for more shortly.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 am

Hey people, I'm a BU 2L, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Congrats on all those who have been accepted, and if you're still waiting to hear/on the waitlist, hang in there (BU has been known to take people off the waitlist and offer them merit scholarships).

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:46 am

LSATNightmares wrote:Hey people, I'm a BU 2L, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Congrats on all those who have been accepted, and if you're still waiting to hear/on the waitlist, hang in there (BU has been known to take people off the waitlist and offer them merit scholarships).
How did OCI go this year? the graduating class of 2011 had a rough time. do you/others feel it has improved?

Also, what are 1L class schedules like?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 am

AlanShore wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:Hey people, I'm a BU 2L, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Congrats on all those who have been accepted, and if you're still waiting to hear/on the waitlist, hang in there (BU has been known to take people off the waitlist and offer them merit scholarships).
How did OCI go this year? the graduating class of 2011 had a rough time. do you/others feel it has improved?

Thanks!
I went through OCI this year. Data hasn't been released yet, but just from talking to people, it didn't seem to be a bad year. I know a lot of people who ended up at top firms in Boston or New York despite not being in the very top of the class. The only firm that BU didn't do as well with this year was Ropes & Gray, which is the #1 ranked firm in Boston. I don't know what the cause was, but some say there was unusually high yield from other schools and since BU's OCI was late there weren't any offers left for us.

As for me, I got a summer associate position in the SF Bay Area, but it was brutal (and I had top grades and Law Review). Firms outside of the Northeast really don't recruit much from BU. I submitted applications on my own, but out of 40 I didn't receive one screener (except for one, but that was because I networked with a BU alum). There were only two firms that were seriously recruiting from BU for the SF Bay Area (and only one extended an offer to me). Also, don't get me started on the off-campus recruiting programs -- they cancelled the Bay Area one due to lack of interest from employers. So if you want jobs in super competitive, non-Northeast markets, I might think twice about going to BU. It's not impossible, but you have significantly fewer choices.

The 1L schedule can be found here: http://www.bu.edu/law/central/faculty/c ... ndex.shtml. Generally, I found fall semester to be easier than spring semester, as you take more classes in the spring. I think professors try to go easy at the start so we can get acclimated.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

Thanks!
I went through OCI this year. Data hasn't been released yet, but just from talking to people, it didn't seem to be a bad year. I know a lot of people who ended up at top firms in Boston or New York despite not being in the very top of the class. The only firm that BU didn't do as well with this year was Ropes & Gray, which is the #1 ranked firm in Boston. I don't know what the cause was, but some say there was unusually high yield from other schools and since BU's OCI was late there weren't any offers left for us.

As for me, I got a summer associate position in the SF Bay Area, but it was brutal (and I had top grades and Law Review). Firms outside of the Northeast really don't recruit much from BU. I submitted applications on my own, but out of 40 I didn't receive one screener (except for one, but that was because I networked with a BU alum). There were only two firms that were seriously recruiting from BU for the SF Bay Area (and only one extended an offer to me). Also, don't get me started on the off-campus recruiting programs -- they cancelled the Bay Area one due to lack of interest from employers. So if you want jobs in super competitive, non-Northeast markets, I might think twice about going to BU. It's not impossible, but you have significantly fewer choices.

The 1L schedule can be found here: http://www.bu.edu/law/central/faculty/c ... ndex.shtml. Generally, I found fall semester to be easier than spring semester, as you take more classes in the spring. I think professors try to go easy at the start so we can get acclimated.
Congrats on your SA! Thanks for the info. I thought BU doesnt release OCI data? if they do, when do they usually release? Thanks for the link to the 1L schedule, too.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

Thanks!

also-- how would you define "very top of the class"? top 10%? top 20%?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 pm

By "very top," I mean something like top 10%. I don't know what people's GPA's are, but just looking at the number of people with SA positions, I would say that a significant number of people in the top third got SA positions in the Northeast or elsewhere. Maybe people even below the top third got jobs, too. But I really don't know. The Career Development Office doesn't share that info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

Thanks!

Ropes cut their summer class by a ton. Also, vault rankings aren't a big deal. Theres not much of a discernible difference between Goodwin/Ropes/Wilmer - just depends on practice area.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses 2Ls

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Ropes-Boston is going to have about 40 summer associates, compared to about 50 last year. I know that for a fact, because Ropes released the info. The cuts weren't drastic, but yeah, it probably affected BU a lot. And I agree that the other firms are on par with Ropes (I only provided the NALP rank because law firm names all sounded the same when I as a 0L).

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:20 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:Ropes-Boston is going to have about 40 summer associates, compared to about 50 last year. I know that for a fact, because Ropes released the info. The cuts weren't drastic, but yeah, it probably affected BU a lot. And I agree that the other firms are on par with Ropes (I only provided the NALP rank because law firm names all sounded the same when I as a 0L).
20% reduction is significant - especially given that they typically hire a ton of Harvard grads and only a handful of BC/BU. Hurts us more than them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Does status date change mean anything with BU? Got my complete notification on 1/11 and today lsstatuscheck app sent a text that the I had a date update and it shows complete with today's date.

Anyone know?

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Does status date change mean anything with BU? Got my complete notification on 1/11 and today lsstatuscheck app sent a text that the I had a date update and it shows complete with today's date.

Anyone know?
I think that means it is moving along in the review process. I have been sitting at Complete 12/10 since i submitted the app in early Decemeber. I haven't seen any movement at all - interestingly enough BC is doing the same thing and i submitted them both on the same day.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

UMich11 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Does status date change mean anything with BU? Got my complete notification on 1/11 and today lsstatuscheck app sent a text that the I had a date update and it shows complete with today's date.

Anyone know?
I think that means it is moving along in the review process. I have been sitting at Complete 12/10 since i submitted the app in early Decemeber. I haven't seen any movement at all - interestingly enough BC is doing the same thing and i submitted them both on the same day.
Interesting. I don't have intense desire for BU and mainly applied there because of my LSAC fee waiver and for the potential scholarship leverage.
Any thoughts on my to go there if admitted? Any why go there and not to BC? I come come a Jesuit college so I have some connection and can relate to BC.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:

Anyone know?
Interesting. I don't have intense desire for BU and mainly applied there because of my LSAC fee waiver and for the potential scholarship leverage.
Any thoughts on my to go there if admitted? Any why go there and not to BC? I come come a Jesuit college so I have some connection and can relate to BC.
the BC BU thing is a personal one. employment-wise neither is significantly better or worse than the other. BU is in Boston proper whereas BC is in a nice suburb. I'm an 0L so I can't really say for certain but some students have said that BU and BC have different cultures with BC maybe being more collegial and BU being more anonymous (not in a bad way ..unless you hate that).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:58 pm

AlanShore wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:

Anyone know?
the BC BU thing is a personal one. employment-wise neither is significantly better or worse than the other. BU is in Boston proper whereas BC is in a nice suburb. I'm an 0L so I can't really say for certain but some students have said that BU and BC have different cultures with BC maybe being more collegial and BU being more anonymous (not in a bad way ..unless you hate that).
Yah I can see that. And I'm also not really keen on going to school in the middle of downtown. The only school I'll be totally fine with in that regard is NW. And even there if I get into both NW and Mich (both huge reaches for me but for the sake of argument) I'd prob go to Mich partly because of life in AA.

I'm reading more about BU right now and I'm unsure of its advantages (putting aside the BU/BC thing)

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

advantages vs which school? I mean obviously there are really no advantages vs Mich or NW if you get in to one of those.. aside from $$$.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm kind of nervous. Been sitting at 1/9... :/

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 pm

dproduct wrote:I'm kind of nervous. Been sitting at 1/9... :/

Same (1/10)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?